Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

If I hadn't seen the fight and you told me Ciryl Gane outstruck Derrick Lewis 104-8 I still wouldn't be sure who won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

reeg posted:

If I hadn't seen the fight and you told me Ciryl Gane outstruck Derrick Lewis 104-8 I still wouldn't be sure who won

lmao yup

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/BulldozerBoser/status/1424248404163579906

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ngannou is from Cameroon.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, France does have a UFC Champion. It's Francis Ngannou. Jesus Christ.

They also now have a number one contender to that title.

I haven’t heard Francis specifically talk about it — does he rep France as hard as Cameroon?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/8/9/22616400/sean-omalley-criticizes-the-ufc-why-do-they-have-a-problem-paying-someone-what-theyre-worth

Dana White posted:

there's a lot of different ways to say you don't want to fight

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1425096579745255424

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarceloRussio/status/1425214412420489220?s=20
hopefully he goes and makes $$$ running seminars, doing grappling events, etc from here on out

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

hopefully he goes and makes $$$ running seminars, doing grappling events, etc from here on out

This, it’s sad to say he just can’t hang at the top anymore but he still has a lot to offer to the pure grappling world and deserves continued success there. Props to the alligator.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
sad chomps, sad crawls

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Retiring with his Chris Camozzi time trial record intact. That's the sign of a true champion, knowing exactly when to hang em up.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Arm broken, can no longer chomp, time to get out.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/LocalSoundwave/status/1425272110121897991

On one hand I'm not surprised a former UFC guy who's friends with Rogan is into QANON, but goddammit, not Bas.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Germansimp posted:

On one hand I'm not surprised a former UFC guy who's friends with Rogan is into QANON, but goddammit, not Bas.

gently caress

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
To lift people's spirits a bit:
https://twitter.com/guicruzzz/status/1425479363068403713

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

This helps a bit thank you

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Germansimp posted:

the alcoholic who said you can beat any black fighter by waiting for their explosive muscles to tire out? i can't believe it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

My first exposure to Bas Rutten was his self-defense DVD, long before I started watching MMA or had any context as to who he was - I put it on for the possible laughs from an amateurishly produced instructional video, instead what I got was half a tutorial on how to murder someone during a donnybrook and half a court-admissible confession of several felony assaults committed by Bas Rutten

Did the man ever have screws to loosen in the first place

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The fight is going to be on 9/11? Man now I want Tito to win just for the post fight interview as he rambles on about 9/11's 20th anniversary.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

DoombatINC posted:

My first exposure to Bas Rutten was his self-defense DVD, long before I started watching MMA or had any context as to who he was - I put it on for the possible laughs from an amateurishly produced instructional video, instead what I got was half a tutorial on how to murder someone during a donnybrook and half a court-admissible confession of several felony assaults committed by Bas Rutten

Did the man ever have screws to loosen in the first place

he's nuts but those videos are really loving funny.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1425533367764783110?s=20

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

If UFC hasn't announced it I don't believe it, most of the time this twitter poo poo doesn't end up in an actual fight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The Ultimate Fighter recap

Episode 11: Snake Bitten

Team Volkanovski has rattled off 6 straight wins, including the first 2 of the semi-finals, netting one man in both the bantamweight and middleweight finals.

Ortega says he bought several "exotic pets" a few years ago, so he called his exotic pets guy to bring in a bunch of big ol snakes. Snake Prank! Snake Prank! Snake Prank! (Ortega seems to forget Volko is from Australia, where all animals are aggressive and dangerous, so I don't know how well this prank will play out. Ortega got pretty freaked out by the snakes that he brought in.

Cerrone comes in as a guest coach for Team Volk. His advice is "enjoy the ride" and that it's good to fight every week. Some of the guys on Team Volk note that they haven't had many interactions with Vincent, and Mitch Raposo tells them about his brain issue (HIPAA! THAT'S A HIPAA VIOLATION!)

Vincent thinks Brady doesn't conserve his energy well, so his plan is to take Hiestand to DEEP WATERS. Ortega doesn't want Vince to get pinned against the fence, or get tied up, always be moving. Vincent says he has a small tear in his MCL, so he hopes he doesn't have to strain his knees too much in this fight.

:siren:IT IS TIME FOR THE COACH'S CHALLENGE: CORN HOLE, PRESENTED BY HOWLER HEAD:siren:

Volkanovski does not know what corn hole is. Each coach gets 4 bean bags per turn. Each bag that lands on the board is 1 point, each bag that goes through the corn hole is 3 points. However, the points cancel each other out, so you need to out-score your opponent each turn to net points. Playing to 21.

Winning coach gets $10,000 and every fighter on the winning team gets a fat, juicy, life-altering $1,500. Christ.

Most of the early rounds are a wash, netting both guys 0 points each time. Finally in round 6, Ortega goes up 1-0. By round 11, he's up 6-0. Volk starts getting on the board by round 13. Ortega wins 21-11 in round 25. Ortega asks Dana for another $2k, and he gives his money to Team Volkanovski's fighters.

For Brady's fight prep, Volko is trying to keep Brady aware of the counters and check hooks that Vincent will be looking for.

This The Ultimate Fighter Flashback presented by Toyo Tires is... TUF 20: A Champion will Be Crowned, the inaugural Strawweight/all women season! Remember when Rose had long hair? Remember when Carla Esparza was A Thing? TUF Flashback Presented by Toyo Tires (Official Tires of UFC) sure does!

Vincent calls up his wife, and he's eager to come home to see her. Brady's call home is to his mom and his brother. Brady's brother has just one question: Has Brady rolled with Craig Jones??? Yes, Brady rolls with Craig Jones every day, my dude! His mom reminds Brady to Be Unpredictable.

Tale of the Tape

Brady Hiestand
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 134.5lbs
Reach: 71"

Vincent Murdock
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 136.0lbs
Reach: 64.5"

Round 1

Brady throwing kicks, Vincent with straight punches. Brady shoots a takedown, gets it and is working to pass guard. Vincent does a good job of defending. Brady manages to pass to the side, with Vincent laying against the fence, getting trapped a bit. Vincent works back to guard, lands a solid upkick.

Brady passes to side control again, landing good ground and pound. Vincent with some solid punches from bottom. Vincent tries to explode, but Brady forces him back down. Vincent almost gives up his back, but is just getting punched. Brady takes back mount and lands a barrage of punches to get the stoppage.

Winner, by first round TKO, Brady Hiestand.

Vincent says he blew out his left knee in the first minute of the fight. Augh, dangit.

Next week: The last semi-final fight as Gilbert Urbina takes on Tresean Gore. Can Team Volkanovski run things to a 8-fight streak and take all the spots in the finale?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

one thousand, five hundred dollars to the fighters on the winning team? and it is cornhole? for gently caress's sake dana try not to be a self parody

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Germansimp posted:

Less surprising but still funny
https://twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1425685937250394120?s=19

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The good thing for Tito is that if he gets Covid, gets put in a coma and suffers brain death, there'll be no discernable difference.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Tito will win

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If Tito wins I'm swearing off combat sports forever

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

chaleski posted:

mewse
May 2, 2006

chaleski posted:

How do you KO that which has no brain

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

chaleski posted:

Supposedly About Sports › Punchsport Pagoda › TOXX WAGER TRACKING THREAD

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

mewse posted:

Hmmm, is it legal to punch the lower leg in boxing? Like a calf punch?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

This avatar is old as gently caress I will definitely rock a real stupid Tito avatar if he wins

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kragger99 posted:

Hmmm, is it legal to punch the lower leg in boxing? Like a calf punch?

that's why conor wants pacquiao

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Gramps posted:

This avatar is old as gently caress I will definitely rock a real stupid Tito avatar if he wins

Tito pic .jpg

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hollandia posted:

TAke a look, y'all: Tito pic .jpg

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That fight is my Vietnam. It happened and would have happened regardless of anything I did, but my small role in paying for it stained my soul snd will haunt me forever

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

That fight is my Vietnam.

I'm having one of the worst days of this entire year and this part of your post just made me burst out laughing like an idiot, thank you :tipshat: (I got everything under control now tho, don't worry about grandpa :c00l:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

mewse posted:

Tito's been known to fold in half from body shots and start crying, Anderson doing that to him would be quite lovely