Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Joe Butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Rodgers2Cobb in 2013 vs the Bears for the division is such a good call by Buck

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I liked Joe Buck's call of the Cubs' 2016 World Series win better than Pat Hughes' call.

Cubs/Indians game 7 is the best baseball game ever i m o and also Joe Buck had a very good call of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PneumonicBook posted:

Joe Buck's totally fine. He's probably a better baseball play by play guy (although certainly no jack) though.

It's funny you say that, because Buck is on the record as saying that he finds baseball boring and he only does it because Fox pays him a fuckin' fortune.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

No offense to Lions fans but how can yall be excited about this year? You have a worse QB and your WR room is a disaster

All anyone needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDBscSglBg

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Lions fans are living in clown world if they think that team is going to be good.

But see, that's ok because this new clown world is filled with fun and happy clowns and not this kind:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

No offense to Lions fans but how can yall be excited about this year? You have a worse QB and your WR room is a disaster

This has already been answered, but it really cannot be overstated just how thoroughly Patricia and Quinn tore the heart out of this franchise. From 2014-2017, the Lions went 36-28, made the playoffs twice, and were a fun and exciting team to watch with entertaining personalities like Darius Slay and Golden Tate. The team had significant issues, but with Stafford at the helm you could never count them out—especially in the 2016 season of bullshit comebacks.

When Matt Patricia was hired, the belief was that this was a team that was on the very cusp of making the first true playoff run in nearly three decades, and all they needed was a stronger coach that could help them get over the top—someone who wouldn't drop a must-win late-season game to a 5-win Bengals squad with nothing to play for. But, as we all know, Patricia quickly and clearly proved he was not the answer to Detroit's prayers, turning a perennial playoff contender into one of the worst teams in the league—and he accomplished this by having the Lions play some absolutely godawful football. Offensively, the Lions turned from Matt Stafford's arm to the legs of washed RBs like LeGarrette Blount and Adrian Peterson, neutering what had once been one of the league's most fun offenses to watch. And defensively, Patricia forced the defense into an extremely inflexible and ineffective scheme, turning what had been a mediocre but competent unit into the worst in the league. And along the way, Patricia and GM Bob Quinn forced out nearly all of the personalities that had made the team so fun to watch—trading Golden Tate and Quandre Diggs for peanuts, pushing away Darius Slay, and sending Glover Quinn into retirement. By the end of his tenure Lions were just a miserable team to root for, as it was clear there was no hope of improvement with Patricia behind the wheel. (And also him being a probable rapist really, really did not help).

The Lions under Dan Campbell are like a breath of fresh air. On paper they're less talented than last year's team, and it's hard to imagine they'll accomplish more than 6 wins. But the change in energy and excitement is palpable, and it's hard not to feel enthusiastic about the future—because even if they're gonna be bad, at least they're gonna have a lot of fun doing it.

Like, here's an example. Back in 2017, I went to the Superdome to see the Lions play the Saints. The Lions went under very quickly, and it was clear halfway through the 2nd quarter that they were not winning this game. But they didn't give up—the Lions kept playing, fighting to come back, and by the 4th quarter they'd overcome a 35 point deficit to come within a touchdown of tying the game. They didn't make it, of course—Stafford threw a pick six, and after that the conclusion was inevitable. But that game was fun as hell to watch, and I'll never forget going absolutely wild during Jamal Agnew's punt return for a TD late in the game, even when I already knew we were still absolutely gonna lose.

That's what I'm hoping for with these Lions under Dan Campbell. Sure, we're gonna lose a lot of football games. But hell, if they can give it their all, make some exciting plays, and make the game fun to watch, then that's all I need to be happy after the crushing misery of the past three years.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 11, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The truly ironic thing about those Lions is that most of the wins came from Darius Slay bailing out the defense that was in the middle of drowning with some insane game-saving play and meanwhile he was being just relentlessly abused by Patricia behind the scenes. Absolutely contemptible human being.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Is there any good autopsy writeup of the Patricia years

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Joe Buck called the Minneapolis Miracle and did a good job. Ten years earlier he would have yawned through it. He's alright now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Not terribly surprising. Bears keep losing.

https://twitter.com/JayHasTweets/status/1425172546002034689?s=19

https://twitter.com/JayHasTweets/status/1425255419660881928?s=19

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 11, 2021

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Unfortunately my home town was in the news recently because there was anti critical race theory people screaming even though the district was not convening the meeting for this discussion nor was CRT even being considered. I’m sure there’s gonna be a war soon over masks as well.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

steps up to the podium

Jay Chudler

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sure now Jay pays attention to coverage

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Timby posted:

It's funny you say that, because Buck is on the record as saying that he finds baseball boring and he only does it because Fox pays him a fuckin' fortune.

That's legitimately hilarious, and another point in Joe's favor.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

sweet thursday posted:

lmao

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Imagine going to work and being required to wear protection.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

sweet thursday posted:

This one's p good

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917777-how-matt-patricias-patriot-way-went-the-wrong-way-in-detroit

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

sweet thursday posted:

In addition to the Bleacher Report article tinstaach posted, this article from the Athletic is very good: Matt Patricia, Bob Quinn and how it all went wrong with the Lions

Key section:

quote:

On an early April afternoon in 2019, Matt Patricia stood on stage at the University of Alabama’s prestigious “Clinic of Champions” and looked out at the couple hundred or so high school coaches in attendance. “More games in the NFL are lost than won,” Patricia said, then added as if he had to convince them, “That is true.”

It wasn’t just a throwaway line to get into his material. Patricia wholeheartedly believed that. He spoke for nearly 45 minutes after that statement on eliminating “bad football,” of stressing technique and fundamentals — buzzwords that he’d harp on throughout his Detroit tenure. In hindsight, though, it’s hard to shake his thesis.

More games in the NFL are lost than won.

Maybe he’s right. Maybe having success in the NFL is as simple as avoiding mistakes and staying fundamentally sound. The Lions certainly beat themselves on many an occasion over the past three seasons.

But knowing what we do now about Patricia’s tenure and where it headed, how does that line sound? It sounds passive. Tentative. Like the only path to victories in the pros is to bide your time and wait for the other team to fall apart.

That often was the shape of Detroit’s game plan under Patricia: a poking-and-prodding offense backed by a bend-don’t-break defense. The plan shifted, ever so briefly, when new interim coach Darrell Bevell arrived as offensive coordinator in 2019 and the Lions let Stafford attack downfield off play-action. When push came to shove, however, Patricia fell back into what he trusted.

His list in those moments included the run game, maybe a short passing attack and a defense that tried to take away anything over the top. If Patricia’s experience told him that, eventually, one of the two teams on the field would make a catastrophic mistake (or a series of them), he wanted to safeguard his own players from those moments.

The opposite happened, as a result. The Lions opened up healthy leads, only to surrender them down the stretch as they took their foot off the gas. Then, when the tide started to turn against them, they couldn’t find a way back.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
On the one hand, Patricia being a really smart guy with absolute poo poo social skills who got in over his head is pretty sympathetic in its own right. On the other hand, a micromanager who demands everything be done perfectly to his exacting wishes, and who is also a complete and utter imbecile, is pretty much the worst sort of person to be around, let alone work with/for.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Joe buck is fine. 3.6 rotgen. I mean, go back and listen to some of the drivel that John Madden spewed. I know he wasnt the play by play guy, but half the things he said were just nonsense to fill the air and give Pat Summerall a break.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Thaddius the Large posted:

On the one hand, Patricia being a really smart guy with absolute poo poo social skills who got in over his head is pretty sympathetic in its own right. On the other hand, a micromanager who demands everything be done perfectly to his exacting wishes, and who is also a complete and utter imbecile, is pretty much the worst sort of person to be around, let alone work with/for.

This sounds like my current situation. I'm on the Patricia era Lions :psyberger:

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Pops Mgee posted:

Joe Buck has improved a bunch since the “disgusting act” call and the helmet catch non call. If they could pair him with someone that isn’t Troy Aikman it could be a pretty good booth.

I'll even give disgusting act a pass as him being a company man the year after Janet Jackson's nipple was on TV

Troy Aikman is awful though, can't wait to hear about Reggie Cobb again this year.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Joe Buck sucks. Aikman also sucks.
The only guy who doesn't suck is the radio guys from The Score because they get pissed off like the rest of us and I enjoy commentators who are also sick of the Chicago Football Bears acting as some Superbowl Gatekeeping demiboss.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
At the very least we can all agree that The Joe Buck Show was the lowest point of his career

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Kevin Harlan does not suck.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Bears are winning the division this year 😤😤😤

https://youtu.be/sweH1131Vw0

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

Kevin Harlan does not suck.

Correct he kicks rear end

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Kevin Harlan could make a five yard Christian Okoye run sound as epic as the battle of Boridino.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Metapod posted:

Bears are winning the division this year 😤😤😤

https://youtu.be/sweH1131Vw0

:hmmyes:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like the SANTA MARIA guy from MLB Network too.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
the only good football announcers were those yahoo sports fantasy people for that one game in london several years ago, the girl who was flabbergasted by how high a punt went in the air for the nickelodeon game, and john madden

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I liked listening to Gruden talking nonsense in the booth.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I enjoyed the Boogermobile because it was unconcerned with mere human emotions, morality, and crowd sightlines. We stand to learn much from the machines

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Bill Burr calling that terrible Steelers-Dolphins playoff game live awhile back was the best

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/danfetes/status/1425454411602661377

lmao all that dopey looking motherfucker did was smile

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm so glad he finally got his smile back :unsmith:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Trubisky Vs Detroit Lions , Friday 7pm ET on NFL Network

The NVP Rides Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU