Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
JERICHO VS WARDLOW 9 5.66%
STATLANDER VS NYLA 6 3.77%
BEST FRIENDS VS HFO 4 2.52%
ELITE VS SYDALS AND DANTE FREAKING MARTIN 131 82.39%
DARK ORDER VS GOOD BROS 9 5.66%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, as a collective story it just doesn't feel like it has a solid narrative or momentum. Jericho having to go through the Pinnacle. Career retrospective. Outside mercs. Desperate MJF. There's a taste of all of it but no real cohesion.

Which kinda begs the question of why they only cut it down to 5. We'll see what the story is between MJF/Jericho next week and MJF/Jericho at All Out, but I dunno, you could've done 7, 9, 10, or even 12 of these and hit a lot more notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean the whole story is built on the premise that Jericho's ego needs a victory over MJF that he'll go through hell to get it. I think that part is fine.

They could have done more with that, especially if they had involved Sammy and played Jericho's ego as a bad thing. But it feels like another underutilized thread in a story I don't think ever came together.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does anyone really know all the lyrics to Judas or to the AEW dynamite song?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

https://twitter.com/EvilUno/status/1425660464000798721?s=20

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://youtu.be/Vfq3GeVBNTg

Yo it’s the same singer as his WWE theme!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kenny's All Out opponent has been right in front of us this whole time.

Kenny keeps making Mr. Burns references.
C. Montgomery Burns
CM Burns
CM PUNK
:v:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

STAC Goat posted:

I don't want to fantasy book the matches because that an endless door. Mostly I just feel like if you've given MJF the power to stack the decks, why isn't he stacking decks? Spears, Cage, and Juvi fine. But as things get more desperate shouldn't MJF get more ruthless? Wardlow's certainly a threat but MJF basically booked a straight 1 on 1 match. And he gave himself a bit of an advantage in the 5th one. Maybe he gets lucky and Jericho messes up and scratches the 8 ball. But its incredibly reserved for a guy who has shown a much more imaginative and ruthless streak.

Yeah, as a collective story it just doesn't feel like it has a solid narrative or momentum. Jericho having to go through the Pinnacle. Career retrospective. Outside mercs. Desperate MJF. There's a taste of all of it but no real cohesion.

Fully agree with all of this, I can book backwards and justify but the truth is the Labours have been all over the place thematic wise and it loses a lot of magic for me because of it. But I'm approaching it from a "perfect booking" perspective where it should have been Lance Storm first, then Nick Gage, then Juvie, then Goldberg, then the Rock, which is an impossible program with the modern business and that's fine.

I think from a show to show perspective, working with the resources available, the Labours storyline has been acceptable and considering the industry that's impressive, although it's equally damning that acceptable is seen as a reasonable bar.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i thought it was cool when Jericho hit Juvi with a flying judas effect

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
theyshould've brought in the rock to job to jericho to build a match with mjf??

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Seams posted:

theyshould've brought in the rock to job to jericho to build a match with mjf??
job rock to jericho, jericho to mjf, what's wrong with this booking

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

i thought it was cool when Jericho hit Juvi with a flying judas effect

It ruled.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

El Generico posted:

People seem a lot more negative on Christian vs. Kenny than I am. Christian is one of those guys who's really solid but kinda unexciting in the ring. I've always liked him better as a heel poo poo talker than a thrilling modern babyface wrestler. Kenny will be able to work a hell of a match with him, it's gonna be good, but I'm glad it's not a PPV main event.

I think everyone recognizes (justifiably) that Christian vs. Omega is a cool match but acts as a cooler to the Hangman vs. Omega storyline.

By almost every metric in terms of fan desire, All Out should be Hangman vs. Kenny, and I don't necessarily disagree. I think there's enough fan support behind Page that him winning would achieve an acceptable level of catharsis and I think folks want it to happen ASAP because the general narrative points of Page's development have been hit.

I personally disagree. The narrative has established his fear of failure and coping mechanisms but he hasn't actually confronted them and considering how slow burn his story has been resolving those issues in a couple of months feels rushed. I'm not saying he needs a TNT Title run or anything (although with the Punk/Bryan bookings I would say that could create enough engagement to justify that, similar to how both the Rock and Austin were able to build their credit with the fans during the IC title feud), but some time to develop the "Hangman Page learns to reject NeoLib BS" is an arguably solid booking choice.

And to justify that I will point at Tanahashi/Okada. While I would have fully embraced Okada's win earlier in the program, his win when it happened made his run all the more magical and made the length of his title run that much more satisfying.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HFO sounds like a medical plan and it's impossible for me to take Hardy's group seriously because of it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kirios posted:

HFO sounds like a medical plan and it's impossible for me to take Hardy's group seriously because of it.
Wait are we supposed to? Aren't they just a goofy low/midcard heel stable to slot in replace the dark order?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey

Fuego is getting his contract on Friday! :woop:

Lol no but what if...

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
So Jericho beats MJF next week and...why does he need a rematch at All Out then? He'll have managed to make MJF cry and call him daddy, and have done it with an Judas Elbow tied around his back

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I mean the whole story is built on the premise that Jericho's ego needs a victory over MJF that he'll go through hell to get it. I think that part is fine.
Yeah, a major consistent trait of Chris Jericho's entire character evolution going back pretty much forever is hubris. He's always been this way.

Astro7x posted:

I kind of appreciate that AEW interviews are not all 5 minutes of scripted rambling before someone finally comes out to interrupt it.
The shows are so densely packed that they can't afford to. Rampage might allow them some time to breathe in those big Dynamite moments, but it'll likely be at a similar pace just with more people featured.

Once Dark and Elevation are respectively taped before different shows, I really hope they return to the original format where Dark is mostly chill jobber squashes and Elevation is actual minor angles and midcard matches for people they couldn't fit on the A-shows. Those Paul Wight interview segments on early Elevations were cool, but now both shows feel pretty samey.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

no idea what the plan is for these Christian matches but, like everything else AEW has done, there's usually a good reason for poo poo that sometimes isn't obvious i.e. the entire Hangman storyline and how they've drawn it out a bit farther so it's not that big a deal. however I will still :toxx: for your Malakai Black avatar STONECOLD64 that there will be fuckery and he won't get both matches

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Couldn’t MJF get himself disqualified, giving Jericho a win and a need for a match at All Out?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
daniel garcia is a very good technical wrestler but he doesnt really do anything for me. i guess he's got more personality than like, dean malenko but he looks, wrestles, sounds, is named very much like CAW default 2

that being said i think he'd be a good guy to have in the mix in any promotion, he'll make people look great in matches and there's always gonna be ppl who were way into lance storm/malenko/code of honor ROH it just aint for me. aew made me care about ethan page tho so who knows

very good dynamite! i guess theyre just going christian/omega at all out, which, well.. alrighty im sure itll be good. jurassic express v bucks is gonna totally rule and i love the setup of bucks being pickup basketball dudes now so you can have like, luchasaurus doing his dikembe mutumbo impression and jungle boy dunking and that loving rules

also main event for rampage should be really great and is a good sign for the show going forward! red velvet is a total star in the making, multiple times ive been watching aew stuff w ppl who arent really familiar with it and red velvet came on and they immediately were like "who is she" she's got it.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Pinwiz11 posted:

Hey

Fuego is getting his contract on Friday! :woop:

Lol no but what if...

Mrio doesn't release the submission and gets DQ'd by ref reversal.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yeah, it’s a weird build for All Out so far. MJF/Jericho and Omega/Christian both seem like they would be PPV matches (the latter shouldn’t be in my opinion, but if that’s what TK wants…), but they’re running like 3 weeks ahead of the PPV. Maybe you could run them back but it’s not a lot of time to build a new story for the rematches, but it seems like too long to do schmozz finishes and have the real conclusion to the current stories at the PPV. I don’t really know what other match MJF would have, though, unless the Wardlow turn happens.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
God's Favoured Champion has never met a man with 5 kids from Alabama

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah, it’s a weird build for All Out so far. MJF/Jericho and Omega/Christian both seem like they would be PPV matches

The really interesting thing about announcing an Impact defense on Rampage is that Kenny has a AAA title defense the next night at Triplemania against Andrade. There's no way that timing is coincidental.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
So is CM Punk facing Darby next Friday and getting revealed this Rampage or Dynamite, or just popping out to challenge Darby this Friday?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Dante Martin highlight reel got #1 moment of the week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTLOHRyfz4

the crowd were absolutely losing their poo poo when he started going off and got the tag

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw anybody else notice Kenny has been looking a lot better lately?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

So Jericho beats MJF next week and...why does he need a rematch at All Out then? He'll have managed to make MJF cry and call him daddy, and have done it with an Judas Elbow tied around his back

Jericho hits the Judas Effect without thinking and loses (they called out that part of the stipulation too explicitly to not use it.)

Much crowing and manipulating of egos later, All Out match.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MJeff posted:

he looked bad before?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
kennys been depushed. theyre taking the belts off him. they said its nothing he said on twitter. but creative has nothing for him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MJeff posted:

Since the shot, yeah.

Part of why I think they backed off the Hangman story.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he was doing a lot of cupping (visibly) over the last few months and hasn't had any done in the last week.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm on vacation and I was off with friends during the show so while I had seen some gifs...

OMG DANTE MARTIN FJDHDBDJDIDHE

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DLC Inc posted:

he looked bad before?

His shoulder sure did.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Cavauro posted:

he was doing a lot of cupping (visibly) over the last few months and hasn't had any done in the last week.

thats why hangman is a loser with no title shot. he’s in his cups

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Had a fun time can't wait to see Ramapage live. Fun thing after was walking with Thauros to get to the parking lot and inadvertency just walking by all the wrestlers heading back to to the hotel.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Pamela Springstein posted:

kennys been depushed. theyre taking the belts off him. they said its nothing he said on twitter. but creative has nothing for him.

Did Kenny do something stupid on Twitter?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Renaissance Spam posted:

Did Kenny do something stupid on Twitter?
Pamela has been doing bits. Pretend they start with yo yo yo.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Jericho hits the Judas Effect without thinking and loses (they called out that part of the stipulation too explicitly to not use it.)

Much crowing and manipulating of egos later, All Out match.

I mean yeah, sure. Maybe a career match than? Or maybe Jericho wins and MJF is so pissed he makes that stipulation on himself, but if he wins Jericho can never fight him again? Dunno.

Not saying it's a bad build, but normally this is where they'd separate them and having their cronies fight proxy matches.

EDIT: CM Punk getting signed kinda made All Out loving weird in general. Really hope they just pop Bryan Danielson's announcement in Ohio because of it. Revolution is in loving November, just have that DB vs Omega dream match then so we can have Page finally take the belt afterward

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smarxist posted:

Dante Martin highlight reel got #1 moment of the week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTLOHRyfz4

the crowd were absolutely losing their poo poo when he started going off and got the tag

I rewatched it a few times to make sure and I'm pretty sure its Brandon yelling "WHAT!?" when Dante does his schmove to get back in the ring

https://youtu.be/XmTLOHRyfz4?t=162