Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
FTR vs PNP 57 48.72%
LUCHA EXPRESS VS ELITE 41 35.04%
ORANGE VS JACK 4 3.42%
HOBBS VS CAGE 1 0.85%
TAY VS FORD 14 11.97%
Total: 117 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Pylons posted:

Hired Gunns

Hired Gunns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The rear end Men

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

Hired Gunns?

That personal touch you can only get with Hired Gunns

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

So the Tall Paul vs QT match is going to end up with no less than 70 people in the ring by the end, right?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sons of Gunns you clods

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was real hard pressed to pick a favorite match tonight. I will say Tay vs Penelope holds a special place in my heart just to see how much the crowd was into it and how much effort they put into it. It really got into 5th gear by the end. Great to see the effort appreciated by the audience.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

dracula vladdy AF posted:

That personal touch you can only get with Hired Gunns

Hired Gunns?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Shard posted:

I was real hard pressed to pick a favorite match tonight. I will say Tay vs Penelope holds a special place in my heart just to see how much the crowd was into it and how much effort they put into it. It really got into 5th gear by the end. Great to see the effort appreciated by the audience.

This is the big thing that keeps me from completely dunking on the women's division in AEW. There's no question they need more TV time, but the talent has been booked in a way that the fans care about them and are engaged with their stories.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Dark Elevation spoilers / potential Women’s Battle Royale clue

Riho back

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Shard posted:

there were a lot of really good matches but yea tay/penelope was pretty great and had the RETURN OF TAYJAYYY!!!!!

real who's who of most-improved on the roster in that match. tay compared to her nxt days obv but penelope and bunny as well have improved immensely just since the start of aew. penelope used to get a lot of (very unfair) poo poo from iwc dorks earlier on in her career and she's genuinely become VERY good at what she does and is one of my favorite women on the roster rn. i do miss seeing kip in his little crop tops as her valet tho i cant wait til hes back. i may be the biggest kip sabien fan in these forums, i hope miro didn't eat his soul

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I am also a member of the Kip Sabian fan club. He is an elite valet and a pretty good wrestler

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kip being such a smarmy dickhead that everyone on the women's roster takes the opportunity to dive on him when he seconded Penelope was one of my favorite low-key bits.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Honestly if Kip never comes back and his last appearance in AEW was being murdered to establish Miro the violent psychopath, then his run was absolutely perfect.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just got back from the show…. So odd to see a Chicago crowd not sold out and big chunks around me on the hard cam side with empty seats.

Pretty good show, but I still don’t know how many squash matches I can take with all the Dark they tape before and after the show.

The end of show beat down also sort of fizzled out with all the faces leaving and then raising the cage. But I am glad they are establishing that cages keep people out. Not the WWE bullshit where people still get into them.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
good news, i caught the replay before midnight. turns out that the main event was amazing. wednesday is saved.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just got home, can't wait to read the gdt to see the responses to certain things. :woop:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im gonna watch the ppv in a theater

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Astro7x posted:

Just got back from the show…. So odd to see a Chicago crowd not sold out and big chunks around me on the hard cam side with empty seats.

Four shows within 16 days in one town, none on consecutive nights. This show was always going to be the hardest one to sell out

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i fuckin love this guy

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay was able to log into the new B/R and buy the PPV. Bring on... Sunday!

What I liked about this show was they didn't just set up the PPV, they hyped stuff on Rampage as well. Like, when was the last time Raw ever set anything up on Smackdown? (Granted when was the last time Raw set anything up on next week's Raw.) And not in an Outta Time See You On Thunder kinda way but just saying "Hey before the big event we're gonna have these matches that you wanna see on Friday!"

And yeah I am seeing promising things in the women's division. Still only one match tonight but they're having more plot stuff going on and hey, there'll be two women's matches in the PPV!

Also ANNA JAY IS BACK! And she's still BFFS with Tay and they're gonna team up and do so much damage to everyone!

And man, seeing what the Lucha Bros. can do is always astonishing, it's possible my expectations for the cage match are now too high.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

mkay0 posted:

Four shows within 16 days in one town, none on consecutive nights. This show was always going to be the hardest one to sell out

I'll be curious to see if Rampage has more people because it's a Friday. Hope I don't burn myself out on too much wrestling. I'm going to all 4 Chicago shows.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also i just want to say that i laughed really hard at how quickly Excalibur turns on people when they go heel

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

also i just want to say that i laughed really hard at how quickly Excalibur turns on people when they go heel

*everyone else* what's going o-
Excalibur: BILLY GUNN AND HIS SCUMBAG SONS ATTACKED PAUL WIGHT!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Chicago has to be burnt out from all this wrestling.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Shard posted:

Imagining predicting Tay/Penelope earning a “This is awesome” chant on the 100th episode of Dynamite when AEW launched.

AEW has done such a good job launching multiple feuds out of battle royales, hoping that holds for the women’s battle royale now that they’re running one with an actual solid roster.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1433282087520440321

Punk gonna do commentary, hell yeah.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Have to say, I didn't think they were gonna have Punk get physical prior to the match with Darby. Not that the ambush by 2.0 and Garcia was like a full match or anything, but I figured they'd hold off on having him do anything just to make sure he didn't get accidentally injured prior to the match. But, that being said, it was a pretty awesome moment all around. :)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TV Zombie posted:

Chicago has to be burnt out from all this wrestling.

I'm going to be soooooo tired...

Internet is horrible at the NOW Arena (at least for T-Mobile) so I couldn't post anything, but it was tons of fun. I can't wait for the Lucha Bros to win on Sunday. :colbert:

Also, the Gumm Club turn was WTF and AWESOME.

A couple of significant things happened at the Elevation tapings, but I'll keep them quiet for now.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

smarxist posted:

*everyone else* what's going o-
Excalibur: BILLY GUNN AND HIS SCUMBAG SONS ATTACKED PAUL WIGHT!

Headcanon: Excalibur always hated the Gum Club but didn't want to say anything since it would paint him in a bad light.
Two nanoseconds after the window opened he's screaming 'SCUMBAGS!' to anybody that will listen.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ChrisBTY posted:

Headcanon: Excalibur always hated the Gum Club but didn't want to say anything since it would paint him in a bad light.
Two nanoseconds after the window opened he's screaming 'SCUMBAGS!' to anybody that will listen.

he's spent too much time with Taz to think otherwise

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Someone posited earlier that maybe Tony Khan didn't tell Tay about Anna Jay coming back tonight, as a legit surprise to her. And I have to say either they're on to something there, or Tay is one hell of an actress, because the :aaa: look on her face when Anna Jay's music hits looks 100% genuine to me (and it was another awesome moment overall :) ).

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Jericho sure had a good promo. Actually made me believe he might lose on Sunday

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm going to be soooooo tired...

Internet is horrible at the NOW Arena (at least for T-Mobile) so I couldn't post anything, but it was tons of fun. I can't wait for the Lucha Bros to win on Sunday. :colbert:

Jesus christ, was it ever. I could occasionally get service by going into airplane mode and then going back to normal but it would get me literally one reloading of one thing. Incredible show all around, I leapt to my feet and screamed several times. I was sitting next to two guys who were new to AEW so I got to fill in a lot of details for them, which was a lot of fun (and I told them that if it got annoying to tell me to shut the gently caress up but they thanked me for it.) I hollered for Stab's Boys by calling them Stab's Boys because that's a thing I do now and I tried my damnedest to get a chant of "Festus" going when Gallows was in the ring but it didn't quite take.

I have to say, the unreal pop notwithstanding, I think I had a better time tonight than I did at First Dance--and I had a great time there--I'm not sure why but I think part of it was that the Elevation matches were all really good and there was just this incredible momentum to the evening. Very excited to go back on Friday.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rantmo posted:

I was sitting next to two guys who were new to AEW so I got to fill in a lot of details for them, which was a lot of fun (and I told them that if it got annoying to tell me to shut the gently caress up but they thanked me for it.)

I did the same thing for the guy next to me, and he ended up getting really into it. He was amazed to find out that Taz had a son.

One observation I had about tonight is that Julia's cheerleading background is invaluable for wrestling. The second the crowd's energy started to dip, she got people back into it. Face managers usually have a hell of a time figuring out what to do out there, but she's really good at it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

I did the same thing for the guy next to me, and he ended up getting really into it. He was amazed to find out that Taz had a son.

One observation I had about tonight is that Julia's cheerleading background is invaluable for wrestling. The second the crowd's energy started to dip, she got people back into it. Face managers usually have a hell of a time figuring out what to do out there, but she's really good at it.

She has incredible charisma, and the athletic part of cheerleading doesn't hurt either. In retrospect it's a great fit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
drat that was a fun couple hours of wrestling. I’m excited to see what they’ve got for Rampage and I’ll definitely be watching the PPV. I don’t think there was a single segment I found boring or just wanted to end. Even QT had me laughing this week.

The Bunny has been so good lately! I love her reactions and she has that switch she can flip to look deranged. It’s perfect. I’m totally here for a Bunny and Penelope Ford team.

Miro the Redeemer might be my favorite in all of AEW. I want more Miro promos. I want more Miro squash matches. Miro owns.

I gasped out loud when MJF talked poo poo about Muhammad Ali. He’s so good at this. :stare:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

She has incredible charisma, and the athletic part of cheerleading doesn't hurt either. In retrospect it's a great fit.

well she is a Two Time national champion for a reason

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TWO TIME

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

BGrifter posted:

drat that was a fun couple hours of wrestling. I’m excited to see what they’ve got for Rampage and I’ll definitely be watching the PPV. I don’t think there was a single segment I found boring or just wanted to end. Even QT had me laughing this week.

The Bunny has been so good lately! I love her reactions and she has that switch she can flip to look deranged. It’s perfect. I’m totally here for a Bunny and Penelope Ford team.

Miro the Redeemer might be my favorite in all of AEW. I want more Miro promos. I want more Miro squash matches. Miro owns.

I gasped out loud when MJF talked poo poo about Muhammad Ali. He’s so good at this. :stare:

If you haven't seen it you should check out the Kenny Johnson Doc on MJF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGYy1X_6Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Renaissance Spam posted:

If you haven't seen it you should check out the Kenny Johnson Doc on MJF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGYy1X_6Ok

I watched it a while back but thank you for the reminder. I may have to watch it again before bed. Everything MJF does is magic.