Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

oh dope posted:

My entire life, I have been utterly confused about the popularity of Queen. They're just not that good. Bohemian Rhapsody is a loving annoying song.

I hate it so, so, so, so, so, so, so much. It's obnoxious, distinctly uncatchy, and over-long. There is absolutely nothing appealing about it, and yet 99% of the human population seems to love it. I wish I understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It's because of Wayne's World

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I don't loving understand Billie Eilish. It's like if Lorde had even less energy and enthusiasm

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

YeahTubaMike posted:

distinctly uncatchy

Famously uncatchy song Bohemian Rhapsody

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Yall wouldn't know a charismatic and legendary singer if you were in an 80,000+ crowd singing along with his vocal warm ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DuoBTJdmds

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

runnypoops posted:

I don't loving understand Billie Eilish. It's like if Lorde had even less energy and enthusiasm

There’s a few songs of hers where she sounds like she just took half a bottle of Xanax and is just kind of flatly reading the lyrics, it’s awful. “Bad Guy” is one of those and it’s so weird because whoever did the backing music for it actually made something halfway energetic and catchy and then she’s just :effort:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also, Lizzo loving sucks and her lyrics are positive in this weird over the top way that creeps me out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

runnypoops posted:

Eilish is legit talented, but she’s pretty much just Xanax-chic Lorde yeah

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Jacob Dylan > Bob Dylan

Led Zeppelin sucks

AC/DC sucks

Grandaddy > Radhiohead

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Also Riff-Raff is brilliant

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you like radiohead you instantly have no credibility in regard to music choice. You should never be allowed to run the boombox at the party.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'd rather listen to Del Amitri than Live

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Funk is mostly boring; being cool does not in itself make the songs interesting.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Queen is the equivalent of old paper trash blowing down a dark alley. It's just garbage.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

runnypoops posted:

Eilish sings and talks like her jaw is wired shut. Does she even enunciate anything?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Queen but I have to agree with everyone in this page saying that it is garbage and I have no idea how anyone, me included, can listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and not cringe.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Queen is one of those bands that has a very recognizable lead singer, but every other band member looks like your dad’s friend Jeff

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You know that band that is an all-time great? They suck. That singer that most people think is amazing? Can't sing. That symphony that has been loved for 400 years? Total rear end.

Brittney Spears was never good.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

If we’re talking about songs that are way too long and suck rear end, Hey Jude. It could be faded out after the first few “na na na na”s keeping it at around four minutes instead of over eight, and it would still suck lovely rear end. Such a dumb obnoxious song.

Except for when it’s done by Wilson Pickett. Then it’s a loving masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8Q2PATVyI

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I hate Hey Jude but I loving love Komm, süsser Tod.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m very okay with the trend of pop music going back to the 2-2.5 minute range.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Eilish sings and talks like her jaw is wired shut. Does she even enunciate anything?

She talks like a modern day youth because she's like 19 :shrug:

Unpopular Opinion: I don't get what it is with 'electronic music' where indie producers/groups/whatever you'd call them?? get super shared and super hyped up and then you go and listen to it and it's either really sparse 'spacey' instrumentals and spoken word vocals with glitch effects, or plinky plonky synthpop that's so straightforward a new wave group from the 80s would feel embarrassed to call it a finished composition - but it's intentionally a 'naive' vibe so it's okay. Also usually accompanied with similarly straightforward blunt but relatable lyrics by someone with the most 'average' voice imaginable, usually some guy with a limited high baritone range and very light tone that sings like a second year choir student, technically competent with little to no personality or flair.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Taylor Swift got some legit praise early in her career but now that she's in her thirties and still singing about have crushes on cute bois or whatever its kinda cringy. Like make a song about income inequality or apartheid or some poo poo. loving grow up

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

ishikabibble posted:

Unpopular Opinion: I don't get what it is with 'electronic music' where indie producers/groups/whatever you'd call them?? get super shared and super hyped up and then you go and listen to it and it's either really sparse 'spacey' instrumentals and spoken word vocals with glitch effects, or plinky plonky synthpop that's so straightforward a new wave group from the 80s would feel embarrassed to call it a finished composition - but it's intentionally a 'naive' vibe so it's okay. Also usually accompanied with similarly straightforward blunt but relatable lyrics by someone with the most 'average' voice imaginable, usually some guy with a limited high baritone range and very light tone that sings like a second year choir student, technically competent with little to no personality or flair.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Izzhov posted:

I hate Hey Jude but I loving love Komm, süsser Tod.

Whomst among us

ishikabibble posted:

She talks like a modern day youth because she's like 19 :shrug:

This is so vague I have no idea what kind of music you're talking about.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I cannot get into Frank Zappa. I’ve tried. I get that he’s like the granddaddy of all the other hosed up weirdo music I love but Zappa’s whole smart rear end hippie shtick just never clicks with me. There are songs and other moments I like but I mostly don’t enjoy listening to anything in his catalog even though so many of my favorite bands would name him as an influence. It checks all the boxes of music I should like but actually listening to it is tiresome to me. The stuff that’s supposed to be funny isn’t funny. But I like Zappa in interviews and quotes from him and stuff. I think he was really smart. Sorry Frank.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Waltzing Along posted:

Brittney Spears was never good.

In fact you will find that the song Toxic is the hypothetical ideal of what a pop song should be. It is truly a perfect song.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

runnypoops posted:

She appeals to a "I'm depressed and overweight freshman college girl" crowd, and future would-be depressed college girls. She sucks mostly because you can't understand what the gently caress she's saying 95% of the time because speaking in deep guttural half-whispers is apparently music

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Literally A Person posted:

In fact you will find that the song Toxic is the hypothetical ideal of what a pop song should be. It is truly a perfect song.

Naw. You just were a horny teen.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lana Del Rey's Cola has the greatest opening verse of all time.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Black Sabbath owns but their lyrics are really bad sometimes

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Jazz rules, funk rules, hip hop rules, jungle rules. Everything else kinda blows

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Nthing the Queen thing. I liked them enough as a kid/teen because my mum and grandpa were super into them and it was like an emotional bonding thing, but overplaying/overhyping has kind of ruined that even. Just the most pretentious boring annoying songs ever.

Also whoever said Trip-Hop is the best genre is my buddy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elentor posted:

Lana Del Rey is one of the best modern artists in a long while, but I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Literally A Person posted:

It took me until just a few months ago to discover the truth of this but it is indeed undeniable.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Elentor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7sOyqioEvc

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dubplate Fire posted:

Jazz rules, funk rules, hip hop rules, jungle rules. Everything kinda blows compared to Roy Orbison though

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I don't care for Gwen Stefani.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Anything that's been played to death on the radio, films or adverts for decades loses all emotional resonance. To pretend otherwise is to desperately cling to a different time, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Lana Del Rey is one of the best modern artists in a long while, but I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion.

It will be until someone decides to stop her from using social media.