Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

this is going to be the best part

remember when all of the Geordies loved Mike Ashley because he wasn't Freddy Shepherd and people were giving him pints to down in the stand?

the remembering things poster remembers

i remember you have an insanely huge head. steve bruce-esque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What’s this? Mike Ashley promoted to manager?!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Would be funny if they got relegated now

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I hope Newcastle get relegated to oblivion

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jose posted:

i remember you have an insanely huge head. steve bruce-esque

it's where I keep my rememberings

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CANS

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don’t really get why people are so happy, was the club actually at risk before this or do they think the KSA is going to dump billions into the team a la Man City or Chelsea?

Also you can’t fool me these are all the same person cloned several times

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

They think, for some reason, the Saudis are gonna do a Manchester City or PSG, yeah. Time will tell.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Bape Culture posted:

Would be funny if they got relegated now

we probs will, our team is still mostly gash

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

qirex posted:

I don’t really get why people are so happy, was the club actually at risk before this or do they think the KSA is going to dump billions into the team a la Man City or Chelsea?

how do you not understand

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kcer posted:

how do you not understand

Hooray we sold our team to the people who murder queer folks! :confused:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

qirex posted:

English people are abhorrent

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

English people are abhorrent

We are but the fact you’re American really softens the blow mate

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

qirex posted:

Yeah, that's we're all saying :rolleyes:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

tetsuo posted:

Wow mods

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

qirex posted:

you're gonna be pissed when you find out how many companies the pif of saudi arabia is involved with

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I didn’t know there were so many daft geordies knocking about tbh

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bape Culture posted:

I didn’t know there were so many daft geordies knocking about tbh

hey it’s one day let ‘em celebrate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

hey it’s one day let ‘em celebrate

would've thought you and all the other italian football watchers would appreciate this meaning inter aren't getting bought by the saudis

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tetsuo posted:

I don't get why some ultrawealthy people doing a deal merits literal dancing in the streets from people they wouldn't even bother pissing on from their luxury box. Even if they dump a bunch of money into the club there's other teams who have been doing the same thing for a decade they have to get past to be competitive plus it's an investment fund which means they're going to expect a return on this money at some point, probably sooner than people think. Vanity projects for single owners are more likely to succeed at this strategy IMO.

kcer posted:

you're gonna be pissed when you find out how many companies the pif of saudi arabia is involved with
Yeah it's a veritable who's who of exploitative garbage, e.g. Uber

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Can’t wait to see how they absolutely gently caress this up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I don't get why some ultrawealthy people doing a deal merits literal dancing in the streets from people they wouldn't even bother pissing on from their luxury box. Even if they dump a bunch of money into the club there's other teams who have been doing the same thing for a decade they have to get past to be competitive plus it's an investment fund which means they're going to expect a return on this money at some point, probably sooner than people think. Vanity projects for single owners are more likely to succeed at this strategy IMO.

I really hate journalists

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Hope all these cans are full of rosewater.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Happy for all the cool and good Newcastle lads on here

Howayatollah and all that.

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars

Jose posted:

I really hate journalists

So do our new owners!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ban booze in the ground.

Rename the stadium and add a minaret.

No black and white stripes.

Get relegated.

Please.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CyberPingu posted:

Happy for all the cool and good Newcastle lads on here

Howayatollah and all that.

Wor Allah

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

qirex posted:

Would you say that you can relate to sports fandom in general? I genuinely don't know you as a poster so sorry if you're big in other sports subforums. Or even here in TRP because I don't visit frequently.

If you can then, I mean, I think it's not a stretch to relate to being ecstatic that Ashley, an overseer of two relegations and running an ambitionless, shoestring "exist just to exist" budget club in perennial limbo, is gone. The celebration is more about what's going than what's coming in, although Stavely, Reubens and the PIF couldn't possibly be a worse option than Fat Mike in terms of building a club to succeed.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

tetsuo posted:

Would you say that you can relate to sports fandom in general? I genuinely don't know you as a poster so sorry if you're big in other sports subforums. Or even here in TRP because I don't visit frequently.

If you can then, I mean, I think it's not a stretch to relate to being ecstatic that Ashley, an overseer of two relegations and running an ambitionless, shoestring "exist just to exist" budget club in perennial limbo, is gone. The celebration is more about what's going than what's coming in, although Stavely, Reubens and the PIF couldn't possibly be a worse option in terms of building a club to succeed.

Lol

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Lol

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

Even if it wasn’t the Saudi’s, just the way Ashley has run the club under his ownership has been farcical, even by their dysfunctional standards. So yeah, any change is likely to be a net positive and celebrated by Geordies if for no other reason to arrest the aggressive inertia under Ashley/Bruce and make a change.

Do you think modern football (or any sport) fans are that introspective about how the ownership of their team, especially if it’s a means for them to be more successful?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

qirex posted:

go direct your fake outrage at them too then

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

qirex posted:

There are no teeth in this picture.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sticksy posted:

Even if it wasn’t the Saudi’s, just the way Ashley has run the club under his ownership has been farcical, even by their dysfunctional standards. So yeah, any change is likely to be a net positive and celebrated by Geordies if for no other reason to arrest the aggressive inertia under Ashley/Bruce and make a change.
That makes sense, I don't pay much attention to league machinations but remember hearing about their financial troubles a few years back. I didn't know he was that locally reviled as an owner, I mean he must have been if an investment fund buying the team causes a spontaneous street party. I am a dumb American who happens to watch Sky Sports news during breakfast because NBCSN shows it and there were on air people literally holding back tears so I wanted more insight.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 7, 2021

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Sandcastle

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Cangratulations Geordies, who knows what's coming but I remember the feeling when Bates finally hosed off. And then again when GFH hosed off. And then again when Cellino hosed off. It's a good feeling

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

qirex posted:

Mike Ashley was a clown and Newcastle supporters really hate the Yemeni people.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm just looking forward to comedy 9 figgie signing in January with the rest of the squad largely unchanged. Who's it going to be?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

qirex posted:

We can all laugh at the failures of Mallorca and PSG and early Man City but there's no denying that throwing money at teams eventually equates to success. The only thing that matters is that they sign competent people at positions like DoF and management.

I hope Sven gets one of the early managing jobs so we have a modern "Robinho," era at Newcastle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm just looking forward to comedy 9 figgie signing in January with the rest of the squad largely unchanged. Who's it going to be?

Putting my house and all worldly possessions on a massive overbid for Harry kane

e: actually it'll be raphinha won't it. Fucks sake