Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
TEATS.
TEATS.
TEATS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

indiscriminately posted:

That episode is a microcosm of the whole show, pretty much.

I like that all major players agreed that the siblings as a united front together could remove Logan and "save" Waystar, which since expectation determines reality in this world effectively means it'd be a done deal- but it can't happen because none of the siblings can tolerate unequal power between them (or even equal power). They'll always fail the prisoner's dilemma. They had a legitimate shot at redemption here, they each acknowledged that, yet each chose dishonor and bondage because they're petty as hell.

Let's be honest though, if the kids could actually work together they would already run the company and wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

Also, season 4 already confirmed! The season premiere was the highest viewed season premiere since HBOMax launched.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/succession-renewed-season-4-hbo-1234862435/

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

HootTheOwl posted:

If logan dies, yeah.
or becomes incapacitated...:unsmigghh:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Usually I have these moments a few times an episode, but I really wanted to scream and also hide under the covers as a reaction to everything happen. So much hilarious cringe and shooting yourself in the foot this episode.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neon Noodle posted:

or becomes incapacitated...:unsmigghh:

Just imagining some final season arc where they mimic Samsung (I could be misremembering here) where the CEO and head of family is terminal and on life support and the kids pretend to run the company. All to save on those inheritance taxes. Weekend at Bernies meets Death of Stalin maybe.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I was assuming a Viacom-type scenario

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

stev posted:

Lmao Ken's meltdown at the end there was great. It feels like his reaction to Connor leaving firmly pushed the other two away. I hope the other three do end up leaving Logan and going their own way.

Fun irony that Connor the superfluous is the one who triggers the sinking of Team Kendall.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Was it Dallas where the final season has the guy in a coma?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Something I picked up on in the episode is that Ewan repeatedly said he was there to get his affairs in order, which is something people often say if they know they're dying soon. Greg might be getting very, very rich this season.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Probably not, Ewan probably willed all his money to Greenpeace

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sticklefifer posted:

Something I picked up on in the episode is that Ewan repeatedly said he was there to get his affairs in order, which is something people often say if they know they're dying soon. Greg might be getting very, very rich this season.

He needs to get un-cut from the will - which could happen if he follows the lawyer's advice to gently caress himself over. So he could be a multi-millionaire with a life sentence.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I watched the first episode of this a year or two ago and didn't care for it but decided to come back after I heard some positive stuff.

Holy poo poo this show is loving great

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yes it's the best recent/currently running show it's so good

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

indiscriminately posted:

Fun irony that Connor the superfluous is the one who triggers the sinking of Team Kendall.

Connor is the conscience, even as (or especially because) he lacks intelligence and guile. They recognize that, and his reason for doing it is simple and resonates with all of them: It's wrong to kill your dad. It's maybe the only time I've ever seen anything he's said in this show have any impact on his family beyond chuckles and eyerolls.

Shiv is almost his polar opposite. Cunning and ruthless, you can see her claws come out as she goes for low blows against Roman. She lacks confidence though, as she's been burned many times by her own avarice. She'll listen eagerly to anyone who says she has an honest shot at power (even her incredibly dimwitted husband), and responds to literally anything else with heavy skepticism.

Roman has "good instincts." He does! He's incredibly observant of people, and is the only one cautious of their father even under the idea of them banding together. He's right of course. It won't be as easy as Ken says, and a dying animal can still strike. He's also famously self-destructive. No one would be surprised if his jerkoff habits found their way to that little news crawler they talked about.

Kendall I see as more a mixture of all them. I can't think of anything he does better than his siblings, but he does have a hefty amount of conscience, cunning, and instinct. He shares all their flaws too, although maybe not as intensely. I will say he's a quick thinker. He pitches well sometimes, and pitching requires reading a room, and pivoting. Others have pointed out that he folds almost immediately when he doesn't get his way which might be his big undoing. No one taught him to be cool under pressure.

This show makes me laugh so much when I watch it but then I get sad sometimes after. Does money poison everyone this way? Like literally everyone? Like... mental radiation?

Edit: Logan's line to Marcia in the lobby sticks with me too, where he says he just can't eat poo poo. The resignation in his voice tells me he almost wishes he could, you know? Just eat a little poop. Take a little bit of the blame on this one, and maybe let his son finally take over (which was his idea at the start of the show!), but he can't. He just... can't. Tragic.

sure okay fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 27, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Not only that, if he *could* eat a little humble pie then I think Marcia isn't as aggressive in the monetary demands. She wants some remorse or some revenge. And Logan surely knows that, but he'd rather drop an extra $10 mil than admit he was wrong.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
She wants an apology and he can't even give her that so she'll soothe her hurt with money.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Hey, am I wrong, or did Marcia say something (I think in her list of demands) about a daughter we've never heard of?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Propaniac posted:

Hey, am I wrong, or did Marcia say something (I think in her list of demands) about a daughter we've never heard of?

She sure did! I remembered that too, and looked it up...I only see one other mention of it online:

quote:

“For my return to be public,” she tells Fisher Stevens, “I will need my role on the trust finalized, Amir’s prospects assured, my daughter taken care of, and improvements in my financial position.”

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

https://i.imgur.com/RMmYp8M.mp4
I can't get over Greg's "what character is that" line. You barely catch it because it gets talked over and you're a bit horrified by the fact that this dude's smiling about having gotten away with (sorta) murder.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sure okay posted:

This show makes me laugh so much when I watch it but then I get sad sometimes after. Does money poison everyone this way? Like literally everyone? Like... mental radiation?

It makes you exactly what you are inside and most people are terrible.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

sure okay posted:

Connor is the conscience, even as (or especially because) he lacks intelligence and guile. They recognize that, and his reason for doing it is simple and resonates with all of them: It's wrong to kill your dad. It's maybe the only time I've ever seen anything he's said in this show have any impact on his family beyond chuckles and eyerolls.

Yeah, I was shocked to find myself feeling kinda bad for Connor this episode, particularly during the "sibling meeting". His request for the other three to just "be nice" made me think that he's probably the only one in the immediate Roy family that ever has those words leave their mouth, ha.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I was shocked to find myself feeling kinda bad for Connor this episode, particularly during the "sibling meeting". His request for the other three to just "be nice" made me think that he's probably the only one in the immediate Roy family that ever has those words leave their mouth, ha.

To be honest that made me like him less.

Why can't everyone be friends, says man whose privilege has blinded him to struggle and doesn't understand the stakes involved in the current crisis.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

every roy just absolutely tortures all the people around them whenever they open their mouths and connor seems to be the least aware of this

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Fair. I guess I just expected him to jump in and swing insults around like the other three were.

I still chuckle at the scene in the previous season where, when everyone is discussing who should be the scapegoat for the cruises situation, Connor volunteers himself while Logan just sits there and eventually goes "....That's very nice of you son, we will keep that in mind. :|"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Connor is significantly older and didn't grow up in the same house as them fighting all the time.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Darko posted:

It makes you exactly what you are inside and most people are terrible.

It's more than that. Extreme privilege bends reality around you and gradually you bend along with it. It is difficult to stay within the bounds of decency when there are no guard rails anymore, and you come to forget where they used to be (if you ever knew), and the people around you won't tell you where they are because you might penalize them if they do, because you have that power and that's become your nature. Money doesn't just reveal your indecency, it encourages you to be indecent.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Another nice little detail was Tom having to immediately get out of the car to let Logan in. As far as we know he didn’t even get to speak to Shiv

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Granite Octopus posted:

Another nice little detail was Tom having to immediately get out of the car to let Logan in. As far as we know he didn’t even get to speak to Shiv

Yeah that got a chuckle out of me. It's not even lingered on or highlighted, Logan only needed to be there and say nothing to push Tom to one side.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Who does everyone think sent the donuts?

My vote is on Tom.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The "nice tea party" note made me think it IS Logan, but...

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1452122311943917569

:dance:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Read After Burning posted:

The "nice tea party" note made me think it IS Logan, but...

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1452122311943917569

:dance:

I don’t think it was Ed Sheeran.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

indiscriminately posted:

It's more than that. Extreme privilege bends reality around you and gradually you bend along with it. It is difficult to stay within the bounds of decency when there are no guard rails anymore, and you come to forget where they used to be (if you ever knew), and the people around you won't tell you where they are because you might penalize them if they do, because you have that power and that's become your nature. Money doesn't just reveal your indecency, it encourages you to be indecent.

That's raised in privilege more than earned privilege. These kids are raised in, so obviously they are horrifyingly bad, but I was responding more to people that earn wealth over time who generally just reflect what they always were inside.

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007
I'm very interested to see where Geri goes this season. Logan has made it clear that she's just an insulator for the rest of the family while the crisis blows over, but she's clearly aware of the reality of the situation and is probably more cunning than Logan gives her credit for. She does seem to have legitimate affection towards Roman and I thought she was being pretty genuine on the phone call with Roman during the meeting at Kendall's. If she gets Roman solidly on her side and doesn't majorly gently caress up while CEO, they could be a major threat to the rest of the family.

Also, I'm impressed that Conner had the presence of mind to not bring Wila into the meeting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Professor Spatula posted:

I'm very interested to see where Geri goes this season. Logan has made it clear that she's just an insulator for the rest of the family while the crisis blows over, but she's clearly aware of the reality of the situation and is probably more cunning than Logan gives her credit for. She does seem to have legitimate affection towards Roman and I thought she was being pretty genuine on the phone call with Roman during the meeting at Kendall's. If she gets Roman solidly on her side and doesn't majorly gently caress up while CEO, they could be a major threat to the rest of the family.

Also, I'm impressed that Conner had the presence of mind to not bring Wila into the meeting.

I'd go as step farther and say that Gerri can't fail, she can only be failed by someone else ratfucking her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Spatula posted:

Tbh I think she's doomed. I'm out on whether it'll be Roman holding the knife at the end of the season, and whether he'll have done this of his own volition or if he'll have been manipulated into it, but she's zipped up IMO.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

Tbh I think she's doomed. I'm out on whether it'll be Roman holding the knife at the end of the season, and whether he'll have done this of his own volition or if he'll have been manipulated into it, but she's zipped up IMO.

I think you're right. But it's going to be entertaining as gently caress to see the "I'm a dangerous enemy" side of her come out. Because holy poo poo, she has to know stuff. This is supposed to be only a 4-5 season show, maybe this is the catalyst that fucks the company over or removes the Roys from the picture.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I like your theory that she ends up being successful, potentially a little too successful, and she gets brought down out of self-destruct jealousy.

Can you imagine watching the kids implode in the face of someone doing the job they desperately think they want far better than they could ever hope to do it?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

only a 4-5 season show

only? that's more than most shows get.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Doctor Jeep posted:

only? that's more than most shows get.

You're absolutely right, I meant that Jesse Armstrong has said in past interviews that he intended for a 4-5 season story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Geri is definitely going to be taken out in a fit of spite after a dazzling display of competence and success.