Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fansy posted:

Return to feudalism where peasants own their means of production, destroying the market for junk food and really most consumer goods.

I got bad news for you about what feudal lords are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my other mining example is cyprus, where the main industry was extractive open pit copper mining from the 4th millenium bc til the 1990s. fattest polity in europe

did the mines expose some kind of fat person radiation or something?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

did the mines expose some kind of fat person radiation or something?

endocrine disruption pollution, is my guess

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One time while living in South Carolina, we had a snowstorm that shut down our city. Maybe 4 inches and the streets were undrivable because it snowed in the South. Someone in my house needed a prescription from CVS, so my older sister and I decided to go for a walk and pick it up. Well, her direction sense sucks. Every time we thought we saw the red CVS sign, it was a Red Lobster.

After the 3rd Red Lobster we gave up and went home.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

endocrine disruption pollution, is my guess

Some suspect microplastics may play a role

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Microplastics make you thin, macroplastics are the ones that make you fat. It's basic science

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mr. Lobe posted:

Some suspect microplastics may play a role

maybe, but again the obesity is concentrated around runoff from point source open pit mining sources, in appalachia, nauru and cyprus. microplastics point sources would be like, plastic factories

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

maybe, but again the obesity is concentrated around runoff from point source open pit mining sources, in appalachia, nauru and cyprus. microplastics point sources would be like, plastic factories

Yeah I meant to say, some say microplastics play a role in other contexts, because they are believed to be endocrine disruptors, so other similarly reavtive.compounds could be at play at these mine sites

Anyway, the global obesity epidemic will solve itself in due time, OP. Rest assured of that

:rubby:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

syntaxfunction posted:

I'd say sadly most people I've known or even met don't know how to cook, and I mean at all, not just well. And it's for a variety of reasons. But the gist is people don't really cook. I'm not even a brilliant genius chef (I am pretty good tho) and people think I'm a fucken witch for cooking meals on the spot without instructions or recipes.

It's weird and kind of sad honestly. A lot of people are also very unhappy with the situation but don't know how or have the means to change it.

It was pretty exemplified with my place. I like cooking and it gives a chance to experiment, so for a minimal contribution a week (like, cost of a single fast food meal) I cook almost every night, and if I don't that's fine cause people are capable. But most people who come over think it's insane that everyone gets a healthy (most of the time) cooked meal almost every night, because honestly it is loving weird,

I love to cook and experiment, too. Bake, as well. People have it in their head that cooking for oneself is labor intensive and a chore and expensive when it really isn’t and is always cheaper than a combo meal at a fast food place. I try and cook for myself nightly even if I don’t feel like it and even if it’s something simple like pan-fried vegetables or a pork chop or something, but I still do it.

Except for last night. I’m switching storage units and am moving all my personal belongings solo and settled on a sourdough jack from Jack in the Box. I was dirty and exhausted and just wanted something to eat right now. drat you, convenience :argh:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

One time while living in South Carolina, we had a snowstorm that shut down our city. Maybe 4 inches and the streets were undrivable because it snowed in the South. Someone in my house needed a prescription from CVS, so my older sister and I decided to go for a walk and pick it up. Well, her direction sense sucks. Every time we thought we saw the red CVS sign, it was a Red Lobster.

After the 3rd Red Lobster we gave up and went home.

One can only eat so much fish.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The leaded gas and toxic paint was subtly countering the effects of plastic endocrine disruption, thanks again ecologailures

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
in the fat chicks thread I learned it's impossible to lose weight and really the question is how can we be more accommodating to fat people because H&M doesn't carry size 30 or something

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

gleebster posted:

One can only eat so much fish.

T'was the cheddar biscuits done us in.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

invent a new hamburger that tastes good and when you eat the hamburger it makes you thin and also hot.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe we can inject intestinal worms into every american

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

have people tried eating less

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Eat less ore

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned making sugar a controlled substance? It's addictive, and we do this for other addictive substances.

Not that I can think of a way to make this work, because if all you did was limit the amount of sugar per pound of food, people might just end up eating more food overall to get their sugar fix. I'm just the ideas guy, you figure the rest out!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Instead of decreasing the sugar we could pinch or slap people when they eat it. The more sugar the harder we pinch them

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

poor peeps were thin before the 70s

Its not just cheap fast food - its cheap PROCESSED fast food, and its all Nixon's fault. Seriously.

I'm paraphrashing from memory, but effectively in like 1970 some ag scientist (Earl Butz) came to Nixon and was like 'we basically can Not grow enough calories to support our populace to the far future of 1990' and so Nixon was like 'huh what the gently caress are calories?' and the ag scientist was like 'its a number that means food. If we can come up with a way to process food so that it has a longer shelf life and we can make it from cheaper ingredients, than we would have calories to spare' and so Nixon was like 'ok lets do this good thing'

Here's a snippet from the LA times article on the subject, unfortunately behind a paywall https://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-xpm-2012-jun-27-la-ol-nixon-obesity-epidemic-corn-20120627-story.html

quote:

The story begins in 1971. Richard Nixon was facing re-election. The Vietnam war was threatening his popularity at home, but just as big an issue with voters was the soaring cost of food. If Nixon was to survive, he needed food prices to go down, and that required getting a very powerful lobby on board -- the farmers. Nixon appointed Earl Butz, an academic from the farming heartland of Indiana, to broker a compromise. Butz, an agriculture expert, had a radical plan that would transform the food we eat, and in doing so, the shape of the human race.

Butz pushed farmers into a new, industrial scale of production, and into farming one crop in particular: corn. U.S. cattle were fattened by the immense increases in corn production. Burgers became bigger. Fries, fried in corn oil, became fattier. Corn became the engine for the massive surge in the quantities of cheaper food being supplied to American supermarkets: everything from cereals, to biscuits and flour found new uses for corn. […]

By the mid-70s, there was a surplus of corn. Butz flew to Japan to look into a scientific innovation that would change everything: the mass development of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), or glucose-fructose syrup as it’s often referred to in the UK, a highly sweet, gloppy syrup, produced from surplus corn, that was also incredibly cheap. HFCS had been discovered in the 50s, but it was only in the 70s that a process had been found to harness it for mass production. HFCS was soon pumped into every conceivable food: pizzas, coleslaw, meat. It provided that “just baked” sheen on bread and cakes, made everything sweeter, and extended shelf life from days to years.

Its High Fructose Corn Syrup and all of its awful children. All of those numbers in all of those countries go up because its so cheap and easy to make HFCS food, and it lasts so long, that its literally everywhere. Also whichever poster was also talking about endogen issues because of microplastic contamination... yeah IMO microplastics are going to go down as our generations leaded gasoline.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think it's gonna solve itself in a couple decades when the ecosystem collapses and there's no food, OP.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The data supports something is causing obesity, and by that I mean some environmental factor or pollutant.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-09-26/obesity-weight-gain-models-calories-insulin-carbohydrates

LA Times posted:

If this understanding of obesity is correct, the energy-balance model has obesity backward: Overeating is a response to growing fatter (that is, to our fat tissues hoarding calories) rather than an underlying cause of growing fatter. Further, whatever raises insulin levels excessively in our blood is likely to be the true culprit in obesity.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqab270/6369073

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition posted:

ABSTRACT

According to a commonly held view, the obesity pandemic is caused by overconsumption of modern, highly palatable, energy-dense processed foods, exacerbated by a sedentary lifestyle. However, obesity rates remain at historic highs, despite a persistent focus on eating less and moving more, as guided by the energy balance model (EBM). This public health failure may arise from a fundamental limitation of the EBM itself. Conceptualizing obesity as a disorder of energy balance restates a principle of physics without considering the biological mechanisms that promote weight gain. An alternative paradigm, the carbohydrate-insulin model (CIM), proposes a reversal of causal direction. According to the CIM, increasing fat deposition in the body—resulting from the hormonal responses to a high-glycemic-load diet—drives positive energy balance. The CIM provides a conceptual framework with testable hypotheses for how various modifiable factors influence energy balance and fat storage. Rigorous research is needed to compare the validity of these 2 models, which have substantially different implications for obesity management, and to generate new models that best encompass the evidence.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Send all the fatties to fat camp

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

suck the fat straight out of my own rear end in a top hat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

Its not just cheap fast food - its cheap PROCESSED fast food, and its all Nixon's fault. Seriously.

I'm paraphrashing from memory, but effectively in like 1970 some ag scientist (Earl Butz) came to Nixon and was like 'we basically can Not grow enough calories to support our populace to the far future of 1990' and so Nixon was like 'huh what the gently caress are calories?' and the ag scientist was like 'its a number that means food. If we can come up with a way to process food so that it has a longer shelf life and we can make it from cheaper ingredients, than we would have calories to spare' and so Nixon was like 'ok lets do this good thing'

Here's a snippet from the LA times article on the subject, unfortunately behind a paywall https://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-xpm-2012-jun-27-la-ol-nixon-obesity-epidemic-corn-20120627-story.html

Its High Fructose Corn Syrup and all of its awful children. All of those numbers in all of those countries go up because its so cheap and easy to make HFCS food, and it lasts so long, that its literally everywhere. Also whichever poster was also talking about endogen issues because of microplastic contamination... yeah IMO microplastics are going to go down as our generations leaded gasoline.

right, now explain every single other polity in the entire world gettin fatter. uk's plenty fat without hfcs

japan uses as much plastics as the usa and the obesity problem is much weaker there but growing. just like they have almost no mining there but the industry's growing. it has to be something thats true of nauru, cyprus and only the northern part of appalachia (and some parts of heilongjiang and uttarkhand) but not true of nearly all of japan, boulder, colorado, the southern basin watershed of appalachia, goa or guangdong

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 14, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You didn't actually read either of these, did you

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
So are there any examples from the other end of the telescope, people who should be fat but are mysteriously not?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All Americans need to burn at least 500 calories punching Wizard Master in the taint and balls (but not shaft, I'm not a monster)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this is an easy fix if we put speed in the tap water. needless to say, this would also increase productivity.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

So are there any examples from the other end of the telescope, people who should be fat but are mysteriously not?

a grown man of old joseon would ordinarily eat a liter of rice per meal

not fat

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/history-of-korean-food.amp

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

pretty funny seeing people in this thread blaming a ton of stuff like endocrine and pharma other than just "americans stuff too much food down their unhinged jaws"

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I dunno, weren't all these "Geniuses" at Silicon Valley coming up with all these cool fitness apps and whatnot that would help solve this?

who would have thought you need government policy and regulation to help society. oh well, anarcho-capitalism it is.

make that a large fry, please

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

pretty funny seeing people in this thread blaming a ton of stuff like endocrine and pharma other than just "americans stuff too much food down their unhinged jaws"

americans ate insane amounts in the late 1800s and it didnt turn them overly fat then

https://theausteritykitchen.com/2021/03/06/a-solemn-and-an-awful-thing-dining-with-americans-sickens-dickens/amp/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I dunno, weren't all these "Geniuses" at Silicon Valley coming up with all these cool fitness apps and whatnot that would help solve this?

who would have thought you need government policy and regulation to help society. oh well, anarcho-capitalism it is.

make that a large fry, please

the government policies and regs have mostly failed too, its the evil pharma labs who are gonna fix it

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Sterilize the fatties? :btroll:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

gotta do better than one anecdote to prove a statement like that because I'm fairly sure that americans were not, in fact, eating "insane amounts" of food in the late 1800s

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

AHH F/UGH posted:

gotta do better than one anecdote to prove a statement like that because I'm fairly sure that americans were not, in fact, eating "insane amounts" of food in the late 1800s

the irish simply weren't satisfied with a normal meal and came seeking american portions

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you make skeletons citizens, the average American will be normal BMI or perhaps even malnourished. Do the right thing Mr president

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
have some poo poo charts then

https://tind-customer-agecon.s3.ama...4a7c9c5f59f4a82

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I weigh nine million pounds and I'm going to sit on this thread, crushing Wizard Master into a thin smear of paste