Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Lost is good.

https://youtu.be/2naim9F4010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Shan’t be clicking on the link so I can only assume it’s a video confirming my belief that Lost is one of the greatest shows ever made. Thank you for the excellent reaffirming video.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Other than some surface level similarities - surviving after a plane crash, a mystery, flash backs/forwards - it’s not really like Lost at all. It’s thematically very different, Lost isn’t really about the psychological impact being stranded like this would have, that’s everything about Yellowjackets. The mysteries in Lost were all external - what’s up with the hatch, the smoke monster, the Dharma Project? Yellowjackets’ mysteries are all internal - what happened to the girls and how did it change them, what did it reveal about themselves that was always there? I’d be very surprised indeed if there was anything genuinely supernatural in this show.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

While the mysteries are certainly a part of the Lost comparison, I think the parenthetical part of the criticism, at least for me, is that the writers don't actually have a plan for how the story will play out.

If we knew that this was a one season event with no possibility of a second almost all of my fears would be assuaged.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

They pitched it as a 5 season series so we'll see. Depends if they even get renewed for season 2

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

coronatae posted:

They pitched it as a 5 season series so we'll see. Depends if they even get renewed for season 2

I'd be fine if they do 5 seasons if it's actually good and not just episode after episode of bullshit asspulls for extra mystery. The latter was my problem with lost, cause it just felt like the show was doing that dumb prank with the dollar bill on the fishing line.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

coronatae posted:

I mean, when people pitch five season plans, th stuff for later seasons is often not more detailed than "and in season 4, they fight the devil" or whatever.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Official conclusion: Yellowjackets is so far good but still has potential to be bad.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah but even if it becomes bad it would probably still be entertaining

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, when people pitch five season plans, th stuff for later seasons is often not more detailed than "and in season 4, they fight the devil" or whatever.

In season two, Shauna gets lost and the girls spend nine episodes looking for her. She is in the barn.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

There's a barn now?!?!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Barn Devil is the evil counterpart to Antler Queen

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shee-it. Any chance they can stunt-cast it as Tom Waits?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Shee-it. Any chance they can stunt-cast it as Tom Waits?

If this is a Terry Gilliam reference then I respect your taste in Satan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It was less a specific reference and more that Tom Waits was just kind of born to play Old Scratch, but that movie was the proof it was always the case.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you for this thread, I only read about half of the op and nothing else. This is pretty good. There's been what like 5 people in present now and am psyched to see what happened to the rest. Did they get eaten? Poisoned? Go to mars? The obvious psychopath can't be it, can it?

Eek I'm giddy!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And, renewed for season 2.

!!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

gently caress. Yes!

Any news on returning cast?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress. Yes!

Any news on returning cast?

Nah, though they're unlikely to spoil who lives / who dies in a mid-season press release.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wonder if this means the story was never going to be resolved this season, or just that they are going to have to make up something completely new for next season?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm into this show while the going's good but no way they make multiple seasons of this without either:
1. Stretching the plot thinner than castaways' supplies
or
2. Going completely off the rails

Amanda Waller is going to show up, take them all to Hong Kong for a secret mission and then drop them off in the wilderness again.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

withak posted:

Wonder if this means the story was never going to be resolved this season, or just that they are going to have to make up something completely new for next season?

coronatae posted:

:)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Season 2: Shauna is in the barn

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There was a Shauna in the red barn.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

withak posted:

I mean, we’re halfway through the season and what, a month into their 19-month stay in the woods? I’d be surprised if we even find out who spiketrap girl is this season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Starks posted:

I mean, we’re halfway through the season and what, a month into their 19-month stay in the woods? I’d be surprised if we even find out who spiketrap girl is this season.

I feel like that's the ONLY thing we'll definitely find out this season. I doubt we'll properly catch up to that timeline.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's Claire's baby. I'm decaying like Matt Damon in saving private Ryan to report that the timeline works.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's Claire's baby. I'm decaying like Matt Damon in saving private Ryan to report that the timeline works.

Who the gently caress is Claire.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Xiahou Dun posted:

Someone we need to save so we can save the world

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

:lost:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

I feel like that's the ONLY thing we'll definitely find out this season. I doubt we'll properly catch up to that timeline.

This season apparently doesn't even get to winter, which is probably the crazy part.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah on second thought I think you’re right: I can definitely see them somehow revealing that without catching up to that moment in timeline. But I do think that the way the season is going, they were planning to stretch it out from day 1.

One thing I do think will get resolved this season is Adam’s secret deal at least. How old is he supposed to be anyways? I figured mid 30s but him being at the same party as Callie threw me off a bit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Starks posted:

How old is he supposed to be anyways? I figured mid 30s but him being at the same party as Callie threw me off a bit.

He totally set that up, I wouldn't use that as a marker for his age.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Is there any evidence of him having a secret besides this is a show with mysteries so that will probably happen eventually if he’s around long enough?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The amount and frequency of meaningful coincidental encounters he's had with Shauna and her family would make it unrealistic if he wasn't a plant.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

he is the dragon reborn

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or just ta’veren.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there any evidence of him having a secret besides this is a show with mysteries so that will probably happen eventually if he’s around long enough?

TV show logic, he was guilty from the moment we didn’t get an explanation for why he stopped short

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Word. Just making sure there wasn't a specific thing we were keying off and we're all just doing this on the principles of general suspicion.

I'm gonna say that he's secretly the ghost wolf that Taissa keeps seeing. Not that he's like a werewolf. No, he just puts on a derpy little costume and growls outside her window sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

withak posted:

Or just ta’veren.

I'm more of a ba'ar man myself.