Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skipping Dune Messiah is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dieting Hippo posted:

It's January!

fuk u

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i read a ton so its no big deal nor a waste of my time really, but i loved the og dune and would say its a 5 star book. ive not read any sequels and if i started, i would probably have to go all the way to the 4th one at least because once i start reading a series beyond book one, i cant stop no matter how bad. should i read dune 2?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I liked Don't Look Up, though the tone of the first half was too Aaron Sorkin-y. Thought it finished pretty strong and tied up / paid off things well.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

replace transformers with virtuosity and we have a drat deal

:hai:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just watched In The Earth, the Ben Wheatley film. I really liked it, easily the best film he’s made since Kill List. Great sound design

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Galewolf posted:

How can you stuff all the "I know the thing!" in there otherwise?

But I can only cry so much!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did I miss anything good in the 455 unread posts I didn't read in the other thread

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did I miss anything good in the 455 unread posts I didn't read in the other thread

the m4trix hitb

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Barudak posted:

Literally anything with Jorge Negrete in it, or just listen to his best of hits if you're only doing the sound tracks.

Also, the soundtrack to "A Mighty Wind" is good even if the film is just middling.

If you want somehing tenuously connected might I recommend Colin Rudd's The Hoard

Thank you. I will try all of them. Mighty Wind sound good.

While I was listening to O Brother, I made this for the thread.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

i read a ton so its no big deal nor a waste of my time really, but i loved the og dune and would say its a 5 star book. ive not read any sequels and if i started, i would probably have to go all the way to the 4th one at least because once i start reading a series beyond book one, i cant stop no matter how bad. should i read dune 2?

Pretty sure it's the shortest one by far and it would have been a fine ending. Didn't think 3 was that great but the worm drama in 4 makes it worth it. Haven't read the rest yet

naem
May 29, 2011

I watched midnight mass it was very good, thanks rem ledder madea

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

stephenthinkpad posted:

All these Walk Hard talks make me want to listen to some folksy movie soundtrack to start out 2022 while I am doing some handicraft, can you guys hit me with some recommendations? So far I have O Brother, Where Art Thou.

Keep with the Coen Brothers and watch Inside Llewellyn Davis. Then you get Adam Driver making sound effects while JT sings about space travel.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Keep with the Coen Brothers and watch Inside Llewellyn Davis. Then you get Adam Driver making sound effects while JT sings about space travel.

That scene is just :discourse: with Oscar Isaacs being all "what in the gently caress I'm doing here but I gotta eat, man" during Adam Driver's rehersal. Bonus points for JT's mormon / AD 2014 Jay neckbeard

https://youtu.be/lSwO-k-RqNA

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hate it but am glad others found enjoyment in it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Paul sowing: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Paul reaping: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Skip 2 and 3 and go straight to God Emperor of Dune, it's worth the ride.

Not liking is okay but this is a book series that is like 5D Chess connected strands together so skipping reading is not inconsequential like "Lol don't watch Avengers Ultron War, it's garbo"

That's a cosmic tier Josh take, buddy, and we're barely on page 4 smdh

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 1, 2022

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think the Sci-Fi channel Dune miniseries did that.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Galewolf posted:

Not liking is okay but this is a book series that is like 5D Chess connected strands together so skipping reading is not inconsequential like "Lol don't watch Avengers Ultron War, it's garbo"

You really need the tragedy of Paul getting his eyes burned out and choosing to walk into the desert to die to appreciate the wackiness of the family he hosed over training tigers to eat his children and "Father, I must become the worm"

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Didn't realize it was almost ten years old now but I like that Seth Rogen et al movie "This is the End". Hollywood stars playing themselves getting raptured while stoned is good fun.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/boba-fett-tusken-raiders-dune-fremen

imagine writing this lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish I got paid to write stuff that bad. From my posts alone I’d be a millionaire

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dune Messiah is incredibly important to the story so it's weird to skip it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Galewolf posted:

lol i know it is goon tradition to not read people's posts but my take is to either 1. just read Dune pr 2. stick out all books to get to God Emperor. it was another poster who said to skip 2 and 3 to get to 4, smdh

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

matrix film rankings

hackers
matrix 1
gremlins 2
matrix 2
matrix 4
matrix 3

I've been meaning to watch it for years now but has anyone itt seen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_(2001_film) and is it any good?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Randal posted:

You really need the tragedy of Paul getting his eyes burned out and choosing to walk into the desert to die to appreciate the wackiness of the family he hosed over training tigers to eat his children and "Father, I must become the worm"

Don't forget the "Stilgar, I'm literally worse than Hitler and Genghis Khan" wacky dialogue!

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 1, 2022

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Sally posted:

lol i know it is goon tradition to not read people's posts but my take is to either 1. just read Dune pr 2. stick out all books to get to God Emperor. it was another poster who said to skip 2 and 3 to get to 4, smdh

Correct quoting is for LOSER NERDS (I fixed my post :shobon:)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nobody tell this person about the Bedouin or the Tuareg.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Galewolf posted:

Correct quoting is for LOSER NERDS (I fixed my post :shobon:)

:haibrower: :respek:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This year my resolution is to learn how to read.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just watched In The Earth, the Ben Wheatley film. I really liked it, easily the best film he’s made since Kill List. Great sound design

The sound design was a huge part of why I enjoyed seeing In the Earth on the big screen so much after a year away from theaters.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

reignofevil posted:

This year my resolution is to learn how to read.

How about wishing for something realistic like end of Covid?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Or a good Star Wars movie

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Galewolf posted:

Don't forget the "Stilgar, I'm literally worse than Hitler and Genghis Khan" wacky dialogue!

Maybe he did learn something from that, a book later Stilgar was considering murdering Paul's kids himself. Incredible themes here if you dig into it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Galewolf posted:

How about wishing for something realistic like end of Covid?

I don't even know what relativistic means

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

reignofevil posted:

I don't even know what relativistic means

It means she's your daughter, not your date!!!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sedgr posted:

Didn't realize it was almost ten years old now but I like that Seth Rogen et al movie "This is the End". Hollywood stars playing themselves getting raptured while stoned is good fun.

I remember thinking This Is The End was pretty fun. I don’t quite know how seeing James Franco playing himself will hit in 2022, though…

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

LanceHunter posted:

I remember thinking This Is The End was pretty fun. I don’t quite know how seeing James Franco playing himself will hit in 2022, though…

Probably not as hard as he hits his sexual partners

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I was expecting some amount of discussion for why Laurence Fishburne wasn't involved in Matrix 4. I guess canonically its been 60 years, and he's dead or blowed up with Zion? but I really didn't understand the Yahya Abdul-Mateen character.

On an unrelated note, my pants and shirts are beautifully folded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah that whole “tonight the role of agent smith will be played by Morpheus” bit is never explained

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 1, 2022