Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Just watched E2 of Station Eleven. Is... is it going to be all this theater stuff from now on?

Veep is really, really good imo, but I never tried The Good Place. I see Ted Danson is in it so I'll be the first show I see him outside of Curb

About half will still be flashbacks to right after the flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

"Joseph Gordon Levitt being a sad-sack" show.

Actually, pretty much every episode of this is unique in some way (there's even an alternative reality anthology episode) and it definitely justifies being a series.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Junkenstein posted:

Actually, pretty much every episode of this is unique in some way (there's even an alternative reality anthology episode) and it definitely justifies being a series.

Comrade Detective is a masterpiece!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

That episode was loving incredible. Definitely the highlight of the show imo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished Centaurworld the other day and I'm kind of torn on the ending. Like it was nice to have a happy ending but Rider surviving felt kind of awkward with how things were going at the end there. Also the twist with the General didn't really mean that much seeing as we spent like zero time with him as a character.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/space-force-season-2-blasts-off-this-february-preview-images-released/

I pretty much assumed this got quietly cancelled

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Imagine making a sitcom starring Steve Carell and making him the least funny character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah it's called The Office

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah it's called The Office

You son of a bitch!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Brock Samson posted:

You son of a bitch!

Yeah this Andy erasure will not stand.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m watching Karate Kid 3 for the first time before I watch the new season of Cobra Kai and my god this movie is terrible

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How dare you sir

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
it really is though, and I basically became the local Karate Kid because of the first one

I was lukewarm on the 2nd when I saw it, but my dad absolutely loved it and I grew to like it more over time

I was so, so disappointed in the 3rd. Terry Silver is great though. I do agree on that.

e: I'm sure we can all agree that there are no other Karate Kid movies after the 3rd

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 4, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m watching Karate Kid 3 for the first time before I watch the new season of Cobra Kai and my god this movie is terrible

Terry Silver feels completely out of place with his cartoonish supervillainy.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The whole first half of the movie is some low level karate goons repeatedly harassing Daniel to get him to sign a piece of paper lmao

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 4, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Terry Silver feels completely out of place with his cartoonish supervillainy.

He's one of the greatest villains in film history.

All that insane time and effort just to terrorize a single child?

Brilliance.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok kreese just jumped out from behind a cardboard standee of himself to scare Daniel I take it all back the movie is good now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can anyone here honestly say that if they were an eighties millionaire hoped up on come, that they wouldn't spend all their time commiting karate crimes on children.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

an eighties millionaire hoped up on come,

:negative:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The rifftrax for KK3 is pretty solid and I’m definitely glad I chose that as my way to rewatch it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
well I wasn't expecting that, E9 Mayor Of Kingstown

good poo poo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Xealot posted:

I can see that concern, but I still think Midnight Mass is worth it. It sticks with fairly generic vampire mythology stuff to the end, so don't expect any twists there. But I still think the show's thematic approach to vampires feels novel, placing the "inverted Christianity" aspects of vampire lore front and center. The idea that a devout Christian would see a vampire and a Biblical angel as interchangeable really landed for me, because OF COURSE they would if "vampires" weren't already a thing in pop culture. I've always found Catholic imagery and mythology pretty ghoulish and occult to begin with, and this show really runs with the idea.

I viewed it as a great counterpoint to The Exorcist, as a horror-adjacent exploration of a crisis of faith among devout Catholics. Where Exorcist lands on the side of exalting Father Karras as a martyr, Midnight Mass does the exact opposite. It's the atheist character who martyrs himself, the secular and non-Christian people on the island who see the creature for what it is. The priest isn't redeemed for embracing his faith but, in a sense, for rejecting it. It's an irony to me that Exorcist is reviled by Catholics as heretical when the story falls pretty firmly in the camp of, "God is real and the priests are the good guys." But Midnight Mass really skewered religious zealotry in a way that I loved.

You make a good point

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lol Succession S2e3

oink for your sausages

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

Lol Succession S2e3

oink for your sausages

gently caress that episode is a tough watch

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oasx posted:

You make a good point

It helps if you think about it less as a story about RARR VAMPIRES! and more of a story that happens to contain vampires as part of a larger metaphor.

Like, despite containing the above, I think I'd have a pretty hard time arguing that it's a horror story. It's not shot or plotted as one except for a couple of very specific bits. The ratio of ookily-spookily stuff to serious discussions about faith is really pitched towards the latter, like the total length of all actual horror stuff across all the episodes is maybe the length of one episode's worth of discussion on what it means to believe.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

TV Zombie posted:

I'm watching the Korean Dating show Single's Inferno and I don't understand the attraction to Jia, especially regarding the latest round of selections for dates. It seemed like one of the male protagonists had a great conversation with one of the other females that he even talked about it with other females but instead chose Jia instead.

Gonna keep watching though because I love this messy drama stuff.
She’s hot, rich, and does gently caress me eyes constantly, what’s not to love

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought it was weird when Ted Lasso did a Christmas special in August, but in the last few days both Dexter and Station Eleven did Christmas episodes timed to air just a few days after Christmas actually happened, and that somehow feels like weirder timing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mobby_6kl posted:

Veep is really, really good imo, but I never tried The Good Place. I see Ted Danson is in it so I'll be the first show I see him outside of Curb

I understand everyone's media consumption is different, but even so, loving what? Go watch Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky24hliLgxE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

isaboo posted:

it really is though, and I basically became the local Karate Kid because of the first one

You got in a lot of street fights in Encino?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I understand everyone's media consumption is different, but even so, loving what? Go watch Cheers.

Also Bored to Death, the sweetest show about some friends who love each other. And also weed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3Tr35K6y8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

I'll check it out! I legit never watched Cheers or anything else with Ted so when he showed up in Curb looking like a big deal, that was the first time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mobby_6kl posted:

I'll check it out! I legit never watched Cheers or anything else with Ted so when he showed up in Curb looking like a big deal, that was the first time.
Actually Ted Danson's best work was Little Danson Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umgUDUxHKfY

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought it was weird when Ted Lasso did a Christmas special in August, but in the last few days both Dexter and Station Eleven did Christmas episodes timed to air just a few days after Christmas actually happened, and that somehow feels like weirder timing.

The Christmas special, like the Coach Beard episode, were both filmed after the season was finished. They had a ten episode season completed but Apple wanted two more, so they filmed a couple they could insert into the season without affecting any of the storylines. It worked with the former, it most certainly did not with the latter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By crown law, all TV programmes filmed in the British Isles must shoot a Christmas episode.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

howe_sam posted:

Skip cheers, start with Becker.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR ADVOCATING SELF HARM)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Christmas special, like the Coach Beard episode, were both filmed after the season was finished. They had a ten episode season completed but Apple wanted two more, so they filmed a couple they could insert into the season without affecting any of the storylines. It worked with the former, it most certainly did not with the latter.

Not quite. Apple ordered ten episodes, they broke the whole season in the writer’s room, and THEN they ordered another two.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What did I say differently? Two episodes were added after the ten episode season was finished.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you're in the UK new episodes of Toast start tonight. Still no word on when it is coming to America.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What did I say differently? Two episodes were added after the ten episode season was finished.

They hadn't filmed anything when Apple ordered the two additional episodes, hell they might not have written any of the scripts at that point. But they had worked out all the plot beats for the season and they didn't want to take the time to add to their outline so they made the two new episodes be strictly filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

They hadn't filmed anything when Apple ordered the two additional episodes, hell they might not have written any of the scripts at that point. But they had worked out all the plot beats for the season and they didn't want to take the time to add to their outline so they made the two new episodes be strictly filler.

Thank you for having the ability to read and comprehend words.