Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

My first time winning both a Gargoyle and an Earth Elementalist, and they were both insanely good. I had 57 AC at the end of the game, and was casting Shatter and Lehudib's Crystal Spear with 1% fail rate. However, it was probably the scariest Lair I have done in a while, and Mennas was on Vaults:5 who was basically a hard counter to every trick I had.

nice. gargoyles are weird cuz u feel unstoppable cuz of the inbuilt armor but then a single lcs can do like 3/4 of your hp lol. i died to loving JORY once as a GrMo lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah I've never had a lot of luck with gargoyles. The seem like they should be great but they have no HP. That looks like a fun guy to play though. I think I've only ever gotten shatter castable once.

I have a dark maul minotaur going but I don't really know what else to do with him. Have the 5 basic runes + Tartarus and the ice hell branch. Dark maul is fun to one-shot guys but it really doesnt feel op. you miss a lot. I also found those infinity rampage boots on this run so you can teleport to dudes and hit them with a giant hammer but it just feels really dangerous.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
First run ended getting pwned by damnation.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BigFactory posted:

I have a dark maul minotaur going but I don't really know what else to do with him.

The answer was die to lom lobon. However, dark maul + harm + manifold assault is pretty cool

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My favorite acronym I’ve played has been OpMo, followed by DEEE.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What do you look up when you want music like the Diablo 1 and 2 soundtracks by Matt Uelman. That’s what I want to hear when I play this but I don’t just want the Diablo soundtracks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

whats a good race/class combo for noob's first magic build? i'm thinking something like arcane marksman or warper might be good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

something air elementalist is what I would have said back when I was regularly playing this like 9 years ago, swiftness and airstrike were great tools

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mbt posted:

whats a good race/class combo for noob's first magic build? i'm thinking something like arcane marksman or warper might be good

Deep elf conjurer. Magic dart for distance and easy stuff, searing ray for harder stuff (press . for ray++), mystic blast for crowd control. You can ignore the other spells in the starting book and transition into whatever schools you get good books for. Freezing cloud is a good spell to look out for if you make it to mid game.

Arcane marksman and warper are both difficult hybrid starts and not that powerful. I like conjurer cause you’re only focusing on one spell school to start and it’s good with elemental schools. Worship vehumet

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

something air elementalist is what I would have said back when I was regularly playing this like 9 years ago, swiftness and airstrike were great tools

They killed swiftness.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
zin is so sick. i just confused the strongest enemy in the game by yelling scriptures at him lol.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Wormskull posted:

What do you look up when you want music like the Diablo 1 and 2 soundtracks by Matt Uelman. That’s what I want to hear when I play this but I don’t just want the Diablo soundtracks.

its not the same, but I listen to all this guys albums while playing this and of course dwarf fortress

https://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/albums

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
on this run I've been cast into the abyss twice and I have 2 runes.... gently caress this game

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

That Little Demon posted:

on this run I've been cast into the abyss twice and I have 2 runes.... gently caress this game

Sounds like a great opportunity for a 3rd rune.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Abyss sucks. It’s annoying and either super dangerous or kinda boring.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
i'm in the abyss RIGHT NOW and the game keeps taunting me by putting escape portals everywhere when i'm actually trying to get the rune for once.

e: bro....

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Bro why aren't you leveling fighting. Unless it's changed it gives you HP lol. It's more important than even your weapon skill, like Spellcasting for casters. Especially cuz you're playing zerker and they tend to really need as much HP as they can possibly get.

I usually train fighting once I've got my weapon or magic skill up to a good level, I think it's something like a 2% max HP boost per level which doesn't sound like much but it's pretty easy to get up to level 10 or 15 in fighting and a 30% max HP boost is going to save you from a lot of deaths later on. "Fighting" is a pretty unintuitive name for the HP increasing skill so it's not surprising that TLD wouldn't know to invest in it imo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I assumed it made you better at general uh. Lmfao. Scrappiness.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Wormskull posted:

I assumed it made you better at general uh. Lmfao. Scrappiness.

[guy who is a small retard] Uh DUURRRR why didn't you do it THIS way you mongoloid! Learn how to play much? christ... some people

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
fighting does increase your damage and accuracy and you usually want it to be the first skill you max if you're a fighter guy. weapon skill gives you more damage per point but the hp bonus will save your life in the late game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If you're having trouble I recommend getting combat tutorials from Hanbei the undying.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Well, it happened. I had a mental breakdown in Shoals 3 today. This is the best run I've ever had.. each move a calculated attempt to win. I am out of blink scrolls. I have one teleport scroll left. Every loving mermaid, merman, crab, turtle, manticore, snake, and water elemental come in for a huge party to rape me in my rear end while a siren sings me into the ocean for then a giant octopus to drag me down into the water drowning me.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
First time in something called the vaults, I've survived the abyss twice in this run...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

First time in something called the vaults, I've survived the abyss twice in this run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXFknz4J88&t=114s

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
got to vault 2, instantly spawning into 100 enemies who all start kicking my rear end and i use my last blink and teleport scroll... I'm at half HP...

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
theres these new (to me at least) frostheart dudes in the vaults that can freeze the gently caress out of you if you're standing next to a wall. they're loving brutal if you're in a single or double tile hallway and don't have rC+. almost died to one on my last run. good luck chief.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
got to vault 5 and noped the gently caress out of there lmao, going to something called "The Depths" now

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Revving her up.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
making a goddamn mess on Depths 4

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
its filled with portals for things I don't think I wanna go and do lol, Ziggerauts, portals to hell, abyss (gently caress this)....

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

its filled with portals for things I don't think I wanna go and do lol, Ziggerauts, portals to hell, abyss (gently caress this)....

zigs are big rear end 27 level gauntlets that make you fight more and more dudes with each floor. they have a lot of loot. theres a portal that leads out on the other side of each floor and the first one is always really easy if you wanna try it. you can't come back to it after you leave though.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I found Zot, but I need 3 runes I guess so I need to decide where to get the 3rd... AB said Vault 5 which I heard is a bitch

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

I found Zot, but I need 3 runes I guess so I need to decide where to get the 3rd... AB said Vault 5 which I heard is a bitch

think about it this way: there's way harder stuff in zot itself.

trying stealth due to gear drops. kinda satisfying.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sometimes abyss is easier. V:5 was better for fighters before vault wardens. If you have rf +++ you could use a scroll of immolation and try blowing everything up. Or read a tele scroll right before you go down and hope for a lucky teleport somewhere quiet

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Muscle Wizard posted:

zigs are big rear end 27 level gauntlets that make you fight more and more dudes with each floor. they have a lot of loot. theres a portal that leads out on the other side of each floor and the first one is always really easy if you wanna try it. you can't come back to it after you leave though.

going to attempt at least one level of this, probably ruining my 4 hour run

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

BigFactory posted:

Sometimes abyss is easier. V:5 was better for fighters before vault wardens. If you have rf +++ you could use a scroll of immolation and try blowing everything up. Or read a tele scroll right before you go down and hope for a lucky teleport somewhere quiet

yeah I don't know what to do yet honestly I'm hearing differently from different people but I don't have +++ yet for fire

current stats

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
just going to V5 and hope for the best lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

just going to V5 and hope for the best lol

That’s a good amulet.

But tele and cross your fingers. It can work. Don’t forget to use all the trog powers you can always get the piety back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

BigFactory posted:

That’s a good amulet.

But tele and cross your fingers. It can work. Don’t forget to use all the trog powers you can always get the piety back.

can I summon guys using that trog ability and will they follow me downstairts?