Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Cross post from the steam thread:

I decided to try hyper Library with only duplicator (and orb grab radius) as upgrades. It was honestly more enjoyable than playing with all the various upgrades I used before.

Previously I said that with only long range weapons no enemies will get in bible range. This was indeed the case minute 15 to minute 28, but the last 2 minutes where a bit more close than expected (with passive upgrades they never get close). Either way, it was still enough without any close range weapons (garlic/bible/whip), just standing still.

I'm not there yet because I took slightly more passive boosts this time, but I'm getting closer to beating hyper garden with almost no passive boosts.

Evolved Garlic was actually really good, since it also reduces knockback I think it was better than the evolved whip in every single way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I finally beat the game with Ghosty McGhostFace today, so I'm probably done with it. Definitely the best $3 I've ever spent that wasn't Binding of Isaac.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 23, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hyper Mad Forest run without permanent boosts is done! :woop:

Trying to get thousand knives + holy wand as early as possible really is the blueprint for succesful runs. It has never led me astray. :black101:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I feel like once you get one or two evolved weapons the greatest threat is a boss sneaking in amidst a giant mob of enemies and you don't notice until too late that it didn't evaporate instantly like everything else and it kills you before you can react

Fun game though

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

This game is great. $3 is a steal.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

God that werewolf rush in the forest at minute 13 is just raw pain, in and of itself, not awful, but consider they get shoved straight into you via the ghosts

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gynovore posted:

I finally beat the game with Ghosty McGhostFace today,

Who?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
There's a hidden character who gets 100% luck at the expense of every other stat. You unlock it by typing x-x1viiq on the main menu, a reference to SOTN's luck mode file name of X-X!V''Q. You can also enter a variant of the Konami code for some free money ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Esc Enter.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

the 100% luck seems bugged to me, it never seems to trigger extra stuff from chests or item choices. Does drop a lot of consumables from candles

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tithin posted:

God that werewolf rush in the forest at minute 13 is just raw pain, in and of itself, not awful, but consider they get shoved straight into you via the ghosts

I've found Hellfire (evolved Fire Wand) is very useful for that one. It seems to do just enough damage to kill any werewolf it touches, so you can basically just run after your fireballs as they carve a safe path to follow, while also getting a solid stream of XP. But yeah, if you don't have an evolved weapon at that point you'll have a bad time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Swilo posted:

There's a hidden character who gets 100% luck at the expense of every other stat. You unlock it by typing x-x1viiq on the main menu, a reference to SOTN's luck mode file name of X-X!V''Q. You can also enter a variant of the Konami code for some free money ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Esc Enter.

Neither of these do anything for me.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Jedit posted:

Neither of these do anything for me.

You have to type them absurdly fast, or use a macro program.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Going all-in on area boosts makes the new evolved garlic kinda hilarious:

Also I finally managed to get the evolved birds. It did a lot of damage at some 13k DPS, and order of magnitude more than any of my other evolved weapons. The uptime and area is also large enough to keep enemies off of you reasonably well, though you'll still want something like garlic, wand, or bible to make sure. Still, at a combined 24 levels until it's at full power it's a very expensive investment, and you risk gimping yourself in the midgame for it.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 23, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Type the code at the character select screen, you should hear organ music. Close the screen and and come back to it.

There's a rumor that you have you type the code within a quarter second, but that's not true.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's weird that they made it the only two-item evolution, AND made it level up like a regular weapon. One exception to the rules would have been enough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The doves evolution feels like it was made for the last 2 minutes of a run because it's simultaneously total overkill and not enough area coverage for anything before it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It kinda feels to me that they're aiming to allow evolution weapons in general to level up - they've just laid the groundwork now with the bird.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finally beat the Hyper Forest with the ghost. The projectile speed malus suck so goddamn much. Axes fall down and dont go up at all, your bibles are slow as poo poo. Took about 10 attempts before I managed to get a good weapon selection and survive past the 15 minute mark, even with an upgraded bible and magic wand it was very close calls in a lot of waves.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is there a way to beat death, or is it just the confirmation that the run is over?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Is there a way to beat death, or is it just the confirmation that the run is over?

Death cannot be defeated, but he can be stalled for a while with the clock lancet and laurel.

At 31 minutes a second grim reaper appears and kills you anyway. :ssh:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I apparently died at 29:59 or some poo poo on my library run because I thought I was good, surrounded by gorgons, wizards, and exploding banshees while collecting coinbags since I was out of upgrades. I saw other people post 30:00+ times and thought that was just the average. I didn't realize that there's a hard-kill at 30 minutes-ish :mad: The time is an exaggeration but I saw I was at 27:00 and thought "man, can't be much longer before I get overrun" and then after a little while did, with no Death on screen.

I'm trying to evolve weapons and I have gotten to max level with Garlic and Bible, but I don't know what's different with the Magic Wand that I have it evolved but not the other two after reaching max level. Is it one more upgrade? Or what specific item do I need to find to evolve them? I like the "oop scuse me" method where I don't have to worry about which way I'm pointing to get through the level, just that I'm bullet-helling my way through the incoming enemies, so I don't know if I'm missing specific other subweapons or weapons that are preventing me from getting the upgraded versions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

I apparently died at 29:59 or some poo poo on my library run because I thought I was good, surrounded by gorgons, wizards, and exploding banshees while collecting coinbags since I was out of upgrades. I saw other people post 30:00+ times and thought that was just the average. I didn't realize that there's a hard-kill at 30 minutes-ish :mad: The time is an exaggeration but I saw I was at 27:00 and thought "man, can't be much longer before I get overrun" and then after a little while did, with no Death on screen.

I'm trying to evolve weapons and I have gotten to max level with Garlic and Bible, but I don't know what's different with the Magic Wand that I have it evolved but not the other two after reaching max level. Is it one more upgrade? Or what specific item do I need to find to evolve them? I like the "oop scuse me" method where I don't have to worry about which way I'm pointing to get through the level, just that I'm bullet-helling my way through the incoming enemies, so I don't know if I'm missing specific other subweapons or weapons that are preventing me from getting the upgraded versions.

You need the right secondary item to evolve a max-level weapon, except for the one that requires two max-level weapons.

JordanKai posted:

Here's a list of unlock requirements for those who don't want to figure them out themselves:

EVOLVED WEAPONS:
  • Bloody Tear: Whip + Hollow Heart
  • Holy Wand: Magic Wand + Empty Tome
  • Thousand Edge: Knife + Bracer :blastu:
  • Death Spiral: Axe + Candelabrador
  • Heaven Sword: Cross + Clover
  • Unholy Vespers: King Bible + Spellbinder
  • Hellfire: Fire Wand + Spinach
  • Soul Eater: Garlic + Pummalora
  • Vandalier: Peachone + Ebony Wings

Orv
May 4, 2011

tithin posted:

Werewolf hosed by the Ghost Wave is my MCR cover band.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You also need to get a chest drop from a boss monster to get the evolution, after you fulfill all the above mentioned conditions

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

tithin posted:

I've yet to finish the forest but with Garlic + Bible today trying to evolve both, I have never been more thankful for both upgrades. "Aaaaaand a quick right turn here and now I have enough money to *ding* *ding* *ding* upgrade that weird bottle of water that just kinda... throws itself."

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The evolved garlic seems to not actually do anything that normal garlic doesn't.
All it gives you compared to the base level 8 garlic is a super slow trickle of +1hp procs, and a color effect that makes it harder to see enemies.
The healing is like 1/10th or less what the evolved whip gives, so low as to basically be irrelevant. It'll pretty much never patch you up faster than you can find another floor chicken.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Am I the only person now seeing colored gemstones every time I blink?

There's only like 8 or 10 hours of game here, but for $3 that's more than enough. Makes me want a better designed, better balanced, larger game like it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You probably just need to wait half a year.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If only there was some way this game could be improved over time.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

K8.0 posted:

Am I the only person now seeing colored gemstones every time I blink?

OMG yes!!!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Well, got all the achievements. Was a lot of fun, but I guess now it’s time to wait for the next update.

Ascended whip is a lot better than I expected it to be, especially in library where you can strafe the bottom at the end.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I want a character who dies in one hit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Type the code at the character select screen, you should hear organ music. Close the screen and and come back to it.

There's a rumor that you have you type the code within a quarter second, but that's not true.

Finally got it working, but it took more than half a dozen attempts. There's definitely a strict time limit on entering the code.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Another challenge run in the bag: Inlaid Library with only orbital weapons (and no permanent upgrades, naturally):

This build is very challenging if you don't get Unholy Vespers early. It does give you a lot of tools to farm weak waves, which counteracts your low damage output nicely. It's also very easy for an enemy to slip through your outer ring of big damage and kill you in two hits when you're not paying attention.

Does anyone else have neat ideas for challenge runs? I'm running low myself, and I'm trying to wring more content out of the game since I enjoy the gameplay so much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m curious how a non-targeted/random weapons only run would work out. Birds, water, lightning ring, etc. Start with the ghost, obviously. Could arguably add things like fire wand or runetracer. Birds you can kind of work around the targeting but I’d say they should probably count just to have more options. Runetracer might be too good for what is obviously a self-gimping run.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 25, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Orv posted:

I’m curious how a non-targeted/random weapons only run would work out. Birds, water, lightning ring, etc. Start with the ghost, obviously. Could arguably add things like fire wand or runetracer. Birds you can kind of work around the targeting but I’d say they should probably count just to have more options.

I managed to do a non-targetable run, which ended up being bone/fire rod/lightning ring/santa water/runetracer/pentagram (I couldn't think of a good sixth weapon :v:). It's pretty smooth sailing for the most part, but things can get a little scary when the screen starts filling up and your weapons aren't clearing an easy path through the hordes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

JordanKai posted:

I managed to do a non-targetable run, which ended up being bone/fire rod/lightning ring/santa water/runetracer/pentagram (I couldn't think of a good sixth weapon :v:). It's pretty smooth sailing for the most part, but things can get a little scary when the screen starts filling up and your weapons aren't clearing an easy path through the hordes.

:hmmyes: Fair enough! Cool that it works.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Why Santa Water? Did they go from Holy Water -> Satan Water -> Santa Water?

I'm enjoying this 3 dollar game and I'm recommending it to my friends. This should be the next Bad Rats that goons buy for each other, but in a good way.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Canuckistan posted:

Why Santa Water? Did they go from Holy Water -> Satan Water -> Santa Water?

I'm enjoying this 3 dollar game and I'm recommending it to my friends. This should be the next Bad Rats that goons buy for each other, but in a good way.

I just assume it was Santa as in Italian for holy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

I just assume it was Santa as in Italian for holy

That's way smarter than my thought, which is that it's called 'Santa water' because it's dropped from the sky, perhaps from a flying sleigh. :downs: