Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is there some kind of classical nightmare type manifested as things around you melting/collapsing? I feel like that's at least a common fever induced hallucination.

I wonder... does the show mock the idea of "work-life balance"? As in your work is part of your life, you can't seperate/severe it from the rest of your life. And if you feel the need to do so (metaphorically/physically), then it suggests things are pretty hosed-up culturally/personally ("Do you ever think that maybe the best way to deal with a hosed-up situation in your life isn't to just shut your brain off half the time?").

Also, the tree thing was pretty overt. We see him crying at what seems to be the site of his wife's accident/suicide (a tree), and then we see him sculpt it.
What I did miss was...

Mahoning posted:

Don’t forget that in that session, the candle was lit that Cobel stole from Mark’s basement, that was presumably his wife’s.
...very hosed-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Wow hell of an episode. This thread was right on the money both with self harm being used to hold the outie hostage and the self help book being discovered and used to start a religion (not yet, but we're getting there)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm starting to think, that this severance treatment isn't all that great. If you think about it, there are some downsides hidden in there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm starting to think, that this severance treatment isn't all that great. If you think about it, there are some downsides hidden in there.

Uh, it probably doesn't and did you consider the fact that you're a dumb goo goo gah gah baby?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

As Eagan said in the first edition of the handbook...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Fair point. I recede my remark.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
This loving book is great.

I also just noticed "Parents" in that list. :laffo: Truly, infants are the most abusive overlord. Shrug off your shackles, parents! Embrace true freedom!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a firm and confident "No?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The true tragedy that the Severed will never know is that the reason their outies keep coming back is to escape even the 0.0000000001% chance they might ever meet or have to interact with Rickon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

eke out posted:

a firm and confident "No?"

I'm guessing it says that because the prop person doesn't realize you should put punctuation not related to the quote outside of the quotation marks, but a service worker saying "no?" in a firm an confident way is also hilarious.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I love how they established too that Rickon is one of those tourists who go abroad to third world countries and beg the locals to fund their vacation for them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Talorat posted:

I love how they established too that Rickon is one of those tourists who go abroad to third world countries and beg the locals to fund their vacation for them.

Yeah doing the whole poverty tourism where he isn't really poor, just pretending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fact that they cut away makes me think Helley's latest gambit isn't going to work.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like she really jumped up to the 11 of self harm. Just be a bad worker! Group items by drawing dicks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Three thoughts

1. The Lumen facility and grounds looks like a giant brain. The main Lumen complex looks like an enormous square block that's been inserted into the middle of the brain.

2. Also cool set design poo poo: the office hallways are designed to also resemble an experimental laboratory maze. Welcome to the rat race!

3. No way is Helly dead.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Apparently the Lumen building is real; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Labs_Holmdel_Complex

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Since this is an apple show, one theory is that Lumen is actually IBM and the show is a middle finger from the grave from Jobs who hated IBM and thought their culture turned people into pocket protected automatons.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I know you're supposed to hate Rickon but oh my god did I scream at the 'I' is for Eyes because that's just how awful he is, couldn't just choose another word that matched.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Also them doing the data entry makes me think back to a big eventual reveal on Person of Interest (spoiler for late in the show): the AI is designed to delete all its memories every night to prevent itself from getting too self aware. It figures out a way to effectively send its data to office workers who are doing manual data entry, and every day it has an unaware army effectively rebuilding its mind to stay aware. I would love it if all the data recording they are doing is directly related to maintaining severance. Like they are manually severing eachothers' memories and putting them into buckets, they just don't know that's what they're doing.

Also I just binged all four episodes in the last day and I cannot wait for more.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

My guess from rewatching the eps... all the talk from the founder/former CEOs, I'm thinking eugenics? Maybe purging unwanted traits/DNA from people Lumon is growing/breeding?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m all aboard for this show, smashed through 4 episodes today. I’ve tried a lot of the recent prestige shows like Yellowjackets and White Lotus but couldn’t really see myself watching more than an episode. Whereas this I’m fully invested.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Withnail posted:

Since this is an apple show, one theory is that Lumen is actually IBM and the show is a middle finger from the grave from Jobs who hated IBM and thought their culture turned people into pocket protected automatons.

A cult of personality centered on the founder, obsession with secrecy, antiseptic office aesthetics... if there's a company out there which matches that description, it's Apple.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just view it as a sort of indictment of capitalism and the boomer work culture/ethic (or rather, work life balance myth).

But also I’m a raging anti-capitalist so I could just be seeing what I want to see.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

muscles like this! posted:

The fact that they cut away makes me think Helley's latest gambit isn't going to work.

I like Brit Lower and it sure would suck for her to be killed off in the 4th episode so i no i dont think she's dead either

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm guessing the people who live in the building, have it so their outie personality only exists on the severance floor. Its actually impossible for them to leave as themselves.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mahoning posted:

I just view it as a sort of indictment of capitalism and the boomer work culture/ethic (or rather, work life balance myth).

But also I’m a raging anti-capitalist so I could just be seeing what I want to see.

Oh yeah, it's definitely broader than making fun of any one company.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Withnail posted:

It can't be a coincidence that the credits lettering (particularly that bar above the text) is almost exactly a style used in IBM manuals and a typical default style produced by IBM BookMaster.

Which is not to give any credence to that far-too-specific theory, just that the production designers obviously took notes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What if Lumen is searching for the six coefficients of the equation that predicts the extinction of mankind?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is Devs anything like this show? I'm out of episodes of this to watch and want something more that's similar. I tried Party Down cause it has Adam Scott haha.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

Is Devs anything like this show? I'm out of episodes of this to watch and want something more that's similar. I tried Party Down cause it has Adam Scott haha.

No, not really.

You might get something out of it though, I find it's got that his and miss reaction among audiences that Legion had. Some cool stuff though, especially early on.

I'd try Servant tbh. Maybe Mr. Robot. Visually interesting shows with long planned out mythology and high pressure tension. Counterpart is less tense, but might be worth a look too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ccs posted:

It had some interesting ideas but the execution was a bit lacking.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ccs posted:

You can try Homecoming on Amazon Prime. Vaguely similar premise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
DEVS is interesting and has some mind fucks, but the ending is kind of lame, so don't get your hopes up.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Concur with everything being said about DEVS. I do think it's worth a watch and has some interesting ideas though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mahoning posted:

You can try Homecoming on Amazon Prime. Vaguely similar premise.
If you do, only watch the first season. That second season is practically fanfiction with way worse direction and writing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

If you do, only watch the first season. That second season is practically fanfiction with way worse direction and writing.

I never saw the second season so I will second this. The first season was definitely decent though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
holy gently caress, halfway thru episode and outie helly is cold-hearted. i could never pull that poo poo on me, my innie would straight up kill himself as a gently caress you to me, we both know we would love to kill ourselves to nuclear-spite one of us.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder what the resignation process is like. I'm assuming that implantation procedure is free, but it still costs money to Lumon. What happens if the innie doesn't want to exist and the outie agrees? Do they do another surgery to remove the implant? The company just wasted a bunch of money on nothing, do they make the outie compensate them? It seems like something that would come with some sort of minimum time contract in order to recoup costs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good for innie Helly, gently caress outtie. I don't think there is a resignation process, the company line is that it's not possible and the one instance of someone trying did not go so well. Although at some point I wonder why they even bother with an outtie system, if not for experimental reasons. I can totally buy the concept of this thing being a kind of experiment that's lost any comprehensibility by those within it, with nobody actually above it to see the organization of the system, with those who once were, now themselves culted into the experiment one way or the other.

I love the way this book written by this goober has become a powerful heretical text within this organization and the brain-hosed people trapped within.

I almost think they could've worked backwards from the joke of "okay how do we contrive a scenario where the most hackneyed idiot wisdom self-help book becomes a meaningful life-changing object in someone's life. The I is for eyes got me, perfect, just top tier unselfaware hackiness. Especially because first time watching II wasn't paying attention to the words beyond "cryptic monologue over montage of poo poo Going Down" and it's just as profound as anything read in that tone in that moment in any language. But then I rewound and listened to it and lol.

The parts Mark read were great too. You don't need a job, you can be a vagrant beggar, it owns, actually.

XboxPants posted:

This loving book is great.

I also just noticed "Parents" in that list. :laffo: Truly, infants are the most abusive overlord. Shrug off your shackles, parents! Embrace true freedom!
On the inverse page he starts going on some ramble and asks "Do you even really need dinner?' I wonder how much of this book was actually written, I bet they had fun.

muscles like this! posted:

Oh drat, yeah, I was happy for her in that moment which feels like I'm setting myself up for a gut punch and she's still trapped in hell.

Danzel Glovington posted:

Rewatching episode 1.

Do you think the answer of "Delaware" helped contribute to a perfect score because the first state a person with no personal memories thinks of is the first state?
Not really the place to ask but why the hell aren't at least Maryland and Delaware just one state? Honestly any state with majority straight edge borders is suspicious and ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder what the resignation process is like. I'm assuming that implantation procedure is free, but it still costs money to Lumon. What happens if the innie doesn't want to exist and the outie agrees? Do they do another surgery to remove the implant? The company just wasted a bunch of money on nothing, do they make the outie compensate them? It seems like something that would come with some sort of minimum time contract in order to recoup costs.

probably nothing would happen because i imagine a typical quitting scenario would be something like the outie has to move away from Lumen's campus because...i dunno her husband got a great job in Seattle and the family needs to relocate?

So that person would never go down the elevator again and trigger the innie so it would just be a thing that exists but no one can access it...like a safe without a key.

I guess in this episode they needed to get Petey's chip to run a diagnostic to find out what he knows out and how cause obviously it wasn't good enough to just be destroyed in a crematorium