Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That mana drain thing is the most insane card I've ever seen lol.

Yeah I used to be big on control decks. I was never particularly good but even so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
speaking of Legends enchantments that were useless, this one's a funny case. This card has since proved to be very useful but virtually nobody played it when it was new because nobody could understand it, much less imagine a use-case

tl;dr this card is a hard-counter for any deck that relies on drawing more cards than usual, early sources of card draw included:

all of these cards saw extensive play and the only one that was never restricted or banned in any format was howling mine

edit: if this is boring to anyone reading this, check out this hosed up little guy

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 12, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I was gonna post this guy

Love his poem

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

The Bloop posted:

Love his poem

edit: Mark Justice of all people played 4x of these in the top4 of the 1995 World Championship, alongside 4x Nevinyrral's Disk (a reference to the Discworld series by Larry Niven)

this is the first known "Discotroll" deck, a rare archtype that has had some success in an unofficial tournament format* that has become too expensive to actually play.

*some people call the format "the swedish format", "old school" or "magic 1995" and from what I've read the rules vary from tourney to tourney. personally I would like to see the results of a format that only allows cards you can get in Shandalar, the Microprose MTG game. if you played MTG back in the day and have never played Shandalar I recommend downloading it, it's abandonware so its free

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 12, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Do you know... the Messingmann, who lives down jewellery lane?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I- Izawa??

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Mold Demon gets thrown into a lot of "TOP 10 WORST MTG CARD ART" lists but it's unironically one of my absolute favorites. I would kill for a full print signed by Myrfors but it goes for $25k lmfao

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
why is david hasselhoff wearing an eyepatch

Can you block multiple creatures with a single card? Not sure what the second part means.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

why is david hasselhoff wearing an eyepatch

Can you block multiple creatures with a single card? Not sure what the second part means.

only if specifically allowed by the card's text.

another pun in this one. Foriys = four eyes, the giant has four of them between the two heads

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BasicLich posted:

only if specifically allowed by the card's text.

I dunno, on Bodyguards text it never says it has to block (and as a result be tapped).
It just says damage done to the player gets moved over to it.

So presumably if you attack me with, say 3 different 1/1 creatures and I don't block them, each of the three points of damage is dealt to Bodyguard, in effect blocking all three creatures without having to tap the card.

I guess, in effect the attack creatures are tapped and don't have a 'blocked' status if there's specific enchantments, etc. that work based on that. Like if there was a card that says "Every creature blocked this turn takes twice the amount of damage in return" or whatever then they wouldn't, since they aren't being blocked.

As a general, practical effect, though him 'blocking without having to be tapped' is what's sorta what's happening.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

i have this card it's in a giant neon green mickey mouse trapper keeper with my other magic the gathering cards. i tried to sell it once in a card game shop but i couldn't understand the guy behind the counter through all the dork static

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

I dunno, on Bodyguards text it never says it has to block (and as a result be tapped).

So presumably if you attack me with, say 3 different 1/1 creatures and I don't block them, each of the three points of damage is dealt to Bodyguard, in effect blocking all three creatures without having to tap the card.

I guess, in effect the attack creatures are tapped and don't have a 'blocked' status if there's specific enchantments, etc. that work based on that. Like if there was a card that says "Every creature blocked this turn takes twice the amount of damage in return" or whatever then they wouldn't, since they aren't being blocked.

As a general, practical effect, though him 'blocking without having to be tapped' is what's sorta what's happening.

Creatures do not become tapped when blocking, they only tap when attacking unless the card explicitly says so. e.g., Serra Angel:

Veteran Bodyguards had a cousin in Antiquities, the 2nd expansion released March 1994. It turned or is turning 28 years old this month.

e: I guess I should mention that these old cards are generally confusing. In a tournament you're expected to adhere to the "oracle text", an official errata list. Here's Veteran Bodyguard:

Oracle Text posted:

As long as Veteran Bodyguard is untapped, all damage that would be dealt to you by unblocked creatures is dealt to Veteran Bodyguard instead.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 13, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Big Beef City posted:

And everyone at the table responds in unison, "you don't tap to block!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I know you don't have to tap to block but I couldnt' remember if you could block more than one without a mechanic

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I know you don't have to tap to block but I couldnt' remember if you could block more than one without a mechanic

That question is kind of beside the point, though, since Hasselhoff's ability up there doesn't involve blocking. Were you just asking in general?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

VB is the genesis of a mechanic that would be finalized with the expansion of the verbiage "instead". The midpoint was the 'Redirect Damage' mechanic:

Other changes occurred, here's one of the new Serra Angels. She does the exact same thing she did in 1993, just that second ability gained a Keyword.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

And everyone at the table responds in unison, "you don't tap to block!"

*shrug*
I think I bought my last pack of magic cards in about 1998. I'm very sorry for misremembering that crucial aspect and have withdrawn myself from this tournament of card playing wizards.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

*shrug*
I think I bought my last pack of magic cards in about 1998. I'm very sorry for misremembering that crucial aspect and have withdrawn myself from this tournament of card playing wizards.

House Rules were a big thing in those early days, it's entirely possible that your magic experience did not follow the rules as provided by WOTC. the 1994 World Championships for instance allowed players to change their deck before the final day of competition, 1994 Champ Zak Dolan famously commented on this facet in that it allowed him to fine-tune his deck against the creature-heavy metagame.

e: the person who taught me how to play would just leave their sideboard in the deck from match to match if they saw a consistent meta in a given tournament, which would result in a gameloss today

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Big Beef City posted:

*shrug*
If you bring us some Dew from the garage fridge all is forgiven (not the stuff in the door, Dad opened that 2 liter last week by accident so it is flat)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

the 1994 world championship was a complete shitshow compared to most tournaments i've attended. the playerbase was drawn from a handful of leagues in europe, mostly belgian and french players, some known quantities in the american tournament scene which weren't organized enough to be called leagues, and strangely enough, a secret telephone line you could dial if you solved a puzzle presented in a trade magazine.

the top 4 were mostly european with one american, Zak Dolan, who won the whole thing with an immense amount of luck.

Unfortunately the alleged video recording of the final match vs. Bertrand Lestrée was lost to history

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

BasicLich posted:

this is one of the few cards that has never had a signed copy, because, as the story goes, it was a gift to the creator of the game from a in-law of some variety (like an uncle's wife IIRC) and he used it without her permission and she was very peeved. She refuses interviews and if you somehow get her address and send some copies for her to sign (not an uncommon thing) she just chucks the whole pile into the trash and goes on about her life.

IDK if the thing about her being unwilling to sign it is true, but the artist was richard garfield's cousin-once-removed & it was painted specifically for the game, she was told the card was called "Stasis" but given no other direction at all, which is why it's so weird. it's also not the whole picture: it has the words "stand still" painted on the left side but it's cropped out on the card. Her brother also had an offer to do a card for alpha but he didn't make anything because of a lack of direction.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

BasicLich posted:

House Rules were a big thing in those early days, it's entirely possible that your magic experience did not follow the rules as provided by WOTC. the 1994 World Championships for instance allowed players to change their deck before the final day of competition, 1994 Champ Zak Dolan famously commented on this facet in that it allowed him to fine-tune his deck against the creature-heavy metagame.

e: the person who taught me how to play would just leave their sideboard in the deck from match to match if they saw a consistent meta in a given tournament, which would result in a gameloss today

at my first tournament one of my opponents kept saying creatures were "quarter tapped" referring to summoning sickness. i was like 9 years old and the memory still grinds my fuckin' goats.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Doctor Dogballs posted:

IDK if the thing about her being unwilling to sign it is true, but the artist was richard garfield's cousin-once-removed & it was painted specifically for the game, she was told the card was called "Stasis" but given no other direction at all, which is why it's so weird. it's also not the whole picture: it has the words "stand still" painted on the left side but it's cropped out on the card. Her brother also had an offer to do a card for alpha but he didn't make anything because of a lack of direction.

that's very interesting, I wonder what is the explanation for the lack of signed copies? When I played I made efforts to find signed cards and get cards signed. Stasis was a cheap card that I played a lot so I had 4 Beta ones because they were black border. Every variation from the newest edition made your deck cooler:

- black border
- foreign language
- signed
- foil

I heard about this rumor regarding signed copies of Stasis and I always was on the look-out for them, if only to prove a fake signature.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Doctor Dogballs posted:

at my first tournament one of my opponents kept saying creatures were "quarter tapped" referring to summoning sickness. i was like 9 years old and the memory still grinds my fuckin' goats.

My first major tournament I was playing a sligh deck in sept of 1997. I was around 13. I used beta mountains instead of the new stuff because they looked cooler. Black borders looked cool, still do.

One opponent, a man of maybe 20 but to me a "grown up" called the judge over and tried to get me disqualified for using old mountains, but I stuck to my guns.

I won that match and got completely bulldozed by the first known Combo Deck after the Paris Mulligan, Prosperous Bloom:

e: highlight of that event was doing a Booster Draft of Italian Legends, one guy drafted Moat and won and then opened Moat in his prizes. I think we payed $35 a head.

e2: nobody could speak or read italian, that was a fun booster draft. it was purely knowledge based.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 13, 2022

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

BasicLich posted:

the 1994 world championship was a complete shitshow compared to most tournaments i've attended. the playerbase was drawn from a handful of leagues in europe, mostly belgian and french players, some known quantities in the american tournament scene which weren't organized enough to be called leagues, and strangely enough, a secret telephone line you could dial if you solved a puzzle presented in a trade magazine.

the top 4 were mostly european with one american, Zak Dolan, who won the whole thing with an immense amount of luck.

Unfortunately the alleged video recording of the final match vs. Bertrand Lestrée was lost to history

At my first tourney outside of a Saturday at a game store, probably 1994 (during revised) my first round got me paired with Mark Justice (I think that was his name) who at the time was like #3 in the U.S. and I knew him from reading Duelist.

I remember I tried to pull a channel/fireball, but failed to notice that he had a cop:red out....

I enjoyed the game, but boy did I suck at it.

Also, the two best early artists were Drew Tucker and Quinton Hoover. I stopped playing when WOTC moved to more generic boring fantasy art in the Ice Age block.

cult_hero fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 13, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

cult_hero posted:

At my first tourney outside of a Saturday at a game store, probably 1994 (during revised) my first round got me paired with Mark Justice (I think that was his name) who at the time was like #3 in the U.S. and I knew him from reading Duelist.

can you remember any events or controversies that may have occurred before this event or immediately afterwards?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

BasicLich posted:

that's very interesting, do your remember any events or controversies that may have occurred before this event or immediately afterwards?

Not really, the big tournament scene with the big money was of little interest to me as I was all of 14. These were all really local things at the local university's sci-fi symposium and game club.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The favorite artist among my friend group was Anson Maddocks, because he not only had a distinctively ugly style but he also drew the majority of his characters in the same exact profile shot. When someone threw down Llanowar Elves everyone would be like "Oh poo poo, turn 1 Sengir Vampire!"

For reference

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Devils Affricate posted:

The favorite artist among my friend group was Anson Maddocks, because he not only had a distinctively ugly style but he also drew the majority of his characters in the same exact profile shot. When someone threw down Llanowar Elves everyone would be like "Oh poo poo, turn 1 Sengir Vampire!"

For reference

:hellyeah:

from my playing mat he signed and drew on at the 1995 Manafest in San Francisco:

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

BasicLich posted:

My first major tournament I was playing a sligh deck in sept of 1997. I was around 13. I used beta mountains instead of the new stuff because they looked cooler. Black borders looked cool, still do.

One opponent, a man of maybe 20 but to me a "grown up" called the judge over and tried to get me disqualified for using old mountains, but I stuck to my guns.

I won that match and got completely bulldozed by the first known Combo Deck after the Paris Mulligan, Prosperous Bloom:

e: highlight of that event was doing a Booster Draft of Italian Legends, one guy drafted Moat and won and then opened Moat in his prizes. I think we payed $35 a head.

e2: nobody could speak or read italian, that was a fun booster draft. it was purely knowledge based.

prosbloom owns and i loved it so much i wrote a retrospective on it in like 2003 that starcity put up and i was very proud of.

that year i also built some cool retro decks that i had signed by the people who made them famous all of which got lost when my step dad didnt pay the bill on a storage facility and they took it all. rest in peace, david price signed jackal pups.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
stroke of genius is my favorite combo, best example of Unintended Consequences

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

obithrawn posted:

prosbloom owns and i loved it so much i wrote a retrospective on it in like 2003 that starcity put up and i was very proud of.

that year i also built some cool retro decks that i had signed by the people who made them famous all of which got lost when my step dad didnt pay the bill on a storage facility and they took it all. rest in peace, david price signed jackal pups.

What a tragedy. At least we have the Tempest block combo decks to look forward before the mess that is Urza's block

lets try that again. Getting published by SCG is huge, you should be proud. those decks you assembled now lost to history is the tragedy I mentioned in the aforestruck message.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 13, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BasicLich posted:

:hellyeah:

from my playing mat he signed and drew on at the 1995 Manafest in San Francisco:

Lol nice, I'm jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This thing loving sucks

Getting THAT as my rare in a booster pack is my worst magic memory