Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Araxxor posted:

There's a couple of additional moves you can pull off for each ability, but unfortunately they did cut down the movelists for this game. And the ability roster for that matter.

Also there aren't movelists in the game for some reason.

If you talk to the weapon shop Waddle Dee they do tell you about the moves you can do but that is about it.

Also, press Up on the D pad to HIIIIIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Call Waddle Dee, say MOUTHFULMODE

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The main theme in the beach area has these trumpets in it and every time I hear them I can't help but think of the music from the opening stage of Mega Man 8.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some upgrades really give some new life to the abilities. Sword felt super watered down and Gigant Sword just felt like a less good hammer with a shield but just got the Meta Knight Sword and it's now the best ability in the game. Hope there's more upgrades like this.

Speaking of the Meta Knight fight was pretty cool. Maybe i'm just easily impressed but Kirby in 3D feels fresh and exciting. I'm enjoying the game a lot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Some upgrades really give some new life to the abilities. Sword felt super watered down and Gigant Sword just felt like a less good hammer with a shield but just got the Meta Knight Sword and it's now the best ability in the game. Hope there's more upgrades like this.

Speaking of the Meta Knight fight was pretty cool. Maybe i'm just easily impressed but Kirby in 3D feels fresh and exciting. I'm enjoying the game a lot.

I haven’t gotten that far yet but out of curiosity how do they compensate for the fact you have a lot more room to dodge his attacks than you would in a 2D plane (I assume he has more long ranged attacks now or something)?

Also how do you unlock new blueprints in this game?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Later on bosses start having more range on their attacks and will actually move up to you, limiting how much you can kite them. Also some of them fill up the arena with attacks.

Blueprints are essentially another collectible in levels. The Wise Waddle Dee will tell you if you've missed any.

The tier 3 abilities in general are nuts. It kind of explains why abilityless is better early-game, cause it just outclasses tier 1 abilities when it comes to boss fights, but the later upgrades get abilities to outclass star bullets again. Normal Kirby can't be upgraded, so Star Bullets just end up ahead of the curve at the beginning of the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

I haven’t gotten that far yet but out of curiosity how do they compensate for the fact you have a lot more room to dodge his attacks than you would in a 2D plane (I assume he has more long ranged attacks now or something)?

Also how do you unlock new blueprints in this game?

It compensates for that by being very easy but looking cool. But also he has a lot of sword beams and good tracking with his attacks.

You start getting blueprints halfway through world 2. They're just another collectible.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Larryb posted:

Many bosses from what I’ve seen have pretty big sweeping attacks and can get on top of you super quickly.

E: the theme from the Frozen Bridge is amazing

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 26, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Only a couple of stages into the first world so far but this is utterly delightful.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hypest moment I've had so far was when I was too late to dodge one of Meta Knight's attacks and it triggered a clash :eyepop:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

King Dedede putting in a solid audition for becoming a final boss again

:stonk: motherfucker got up and snuck around the results screen, low blow bro.

Vv I get you, but Dedede hasn’t been a villain for a long time and has become explicitly heroic in most of his appearances. What would he even wind up doing? Hell I’d sooner believe Metaknight trying to conquer Popstar again before I’d believe Dedede did something antagonistic.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 26, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be honest I’d kind of like a mainline Kirby game that went fully back to basics (no eldritch horrors, no otherworldly invaders, just Dedede starting poo poo of his own free will), we haven’t had one of those since the very first game

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Witch Time really does make every game better. They should start adding it to racing games and sports games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

To be honest I’d kind of like a mainline Kirby game that went fully back to basics (no eldritch horrors, no otherworldly invaders, just Dedede starting poo poo of his own free will), we haven’t had one of those since the very first game

He did that in Battle Royale (and it’s probably non-canon) and other spinoffs that had no plot.

Mainline, at this point Dedede is an outright hero unless they did a reboot. Him being an rear end in a top hat in Star Allies and repeating the plot of Dreamland 1 was met with confusion from Kirby on what was happening because by that point, it was out of character for him to do.

And immediately after Dreamland 1 he tried dealing with Nightmare for Popstar’s greater good, but indulged in bathing in the fountain of dreams, which got Kirby on his rear end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

He did that in Battle Royale (and it’s probably non-canon) and other spinoffs that had no plot.

Mainline, at this point Dedede is an outright hero unless they did a reboot. Him being an rear end in a top hat in Star Allies and repeating the plot of Dreamland 1 was met with confusion from Kirby on what was happening because by that point, it was out of character for him to do.

And immediately after Dreamland 1 he tried dealing with Nightmare for Popstar’s greater good, but indulged in bathing in the fountain of dreams, which got Kirby on his rear end.

Fair enough

On another note, anybody find any other useful passwords for the game so far (at the moment I have FIRSTPASSWORD, MOUTHFULMODE, and the two from the demo)?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm assuming there's a few more in the town, because after you beat the game you can find THANKYOUMETAKNIGHT by the arena.

But mostly it's just waiting for posts from Nintendo's social media I guess.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Fair enough

On another note, anybody find any other useful passwords for the game so far (at the moment I have FIRSTPASSWORD, MOUTHFULMODE, and the two from the demo)?

There's one I found inside the movie theater, the bottom right on the bookshelf, KIRBYSTORY.

So far all I've gotten from them have been star coins, rare stones, or some combo of the two. I think the KIRBYNEWSDESK code from the announcements gives you an energy drink item you can keep in your stock, which is the only other code reward I've seen.

It's a little disappointing since I'm playing on Wild Mode and am kind of showered in star coins that the code rewards aren't particularly substantial, but then again I don't know what else they could give as rewards in this game, and it does at least mean people with no online/people in the distant future playing this game won't really miss out on anything super important or cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vitamean posted:

I'm assuming there's a few more in the town, because after you beat the game you can find THANKYOUMETAKNIGHT by the arena.

But mostly it's just waiting for posts from Nintendo's social media I guess.

Oh you finished already, how many worlds does the game have in that case? Also are there any mini games in this like is usually the case for mainline Kirby titles (I assume the Arena appears somewhere in Waddle Dee Town), additionally is there an extra mode of some kind that unlocks after beating the game??

Also since they’re required to unlock boss gates, what’s the minimum number of Waddle Dees you need to complete the game

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 26, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don’t know if it’s total or per world like in the 3DS Kirbys so I can’t say.

Also I was wondering why the Sleep ability upgrade was locked off so late. I just got my answer, good lord! :stare:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

Oh you finished already, how many worlds does the game have in that case? Also are there any mini games in this like is usually the case for mainline Kirby titles (I assume the Arena appears somewhere in Waddle Dee Town), additionally is there an extra mode of some kind that unlocks after beating the game??

Also since they’re required to unlock boss gates, what’s the minimum number of Waddle Dees you need to complete the game

Six worlds, each has four stages and a boss except for the last world which has five stages and a boss, plus a final world with three bosses. There's a motion sensor-based marble maze minigame, a fishing minigame, and the Waddle Dee diner minigame. I haven't touched the latter two tbh. And there's the arena, with what I'm thinking are three tiers of difficulty.

There is an extra mode in the postgame. It's remixed portions of different stages in each world, ending in a remixed boss fight for that world. Without going into too much LORE detail it's typical hard mode bosses from the one I've done so far - the boss had updated moves or additional properties to previous moves (multiple stomps in the first phase, 2nd phase spinning attack was shorter but shot out tornados that then also launched boulders off in different directions). What really surprised me is minibosses aren't exempt from this, so expect new patterns from Bonkers and the like.

The Waddle Dee requirement was really low for the last boss gate. Pretty sure it was 30 or 40-something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

I don’t know if it’s total or per world like in the 3DS Kirbys so I can’t say.

Also I was wondering why the Sleep ability upgrade was locked off so late. I just got my answer, good lord! :stare:

I’m curious, what does the upgraded version of Sleep do?

Also, as far as the Waddle Dee requirements to unlock boss gates go does your total count carry over or do you have to meet a specific quota in each individual world?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’m curious, what does the upgraded version of Sleep do?

Also, as far as the Waddle Dee requirements to unlock boss gates goes does your total count carry over or do you have to meet a specific quota in each individual world?

That's a very good question that I don't have the answer to. I strove to collect every one up until the last world because I wanted to get to the end, but I think it might be per world given that it's so low. In fact, since you brought it up now that I think about it more the last world might've even been in the mid 20s. Sorry I can't provide a clearer answer on this one lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vitamean posted:

That's a very good question that I don't have the answer to. I strove to collect every one up until the last world because I wanted to get to the end, but I think it might be per world given that it's so low. In fact, since you brought it up now that I think about it more the last world might've even been in the mid 20s. Sorry I can't provide a clearer answer on this one lol

Well if it stacks then I’ve already more than collected what I need just from the second world but I’ll keep an eye out just in case.

Also counting upgrades what would you say is the best Copy Ability in the game in terms of raw power/usefulness?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Larryb posted:

You'd have to go back to Kirby's Dreamland 1 for that because they started pulling that sort of stuff back with Kirby's Adventure, the second game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

You'd have to go back to Kirby's Dreamland 1 for that because they started pulling that sort of stuff back with Kirby's Adventure, the second game.

Yes, I literally said at the end of my post that we haven’t had something like that in a mainline Kirby game since the first one (unless you want to count the Spring Breeze and Revenge of the King games in Super Star/Ultra).

But then again Dedede isn’t really much of a major threat anymore when he’s not under mind control so that’s probably not going to be the case again

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Larryb posted:

Well if it stacks then I’ve already more than collected what I need just from the second world but I’ll keep an eye out just in case.

Also counting upgrades what would you say is the best Copy Ability in the game in terms of raw power/usefulness?

No contest, Sword especially with the Morpho upgrade

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Triskelli posted:

No contest, Sword especially with the Morpho upgrade

Nice, what stages do I find the two Sword blueprints in then?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

A couple of things I found out that other people may not know. First, from watching someone's stream yesterday, I learned that you can display the gacha figures in your house. You go to the collection screen, and press the + button to display it in the house, you can display three at a time and they appear over the fireplace.

Second, it looks like I unlocked a picture of Kirby and Elfilin working at the cafe, I'm not sure what exactly unlocks it, it would either be succeeding at all three levels of the minigame, or beating the hardest difficulty. I'm thinking it might be beating all three, because you already get a special gacha figure for beating the hardest difficulty.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/1507513084323119105?s=20&t=Aj72qRSP_SQ17UP8QkVB0A

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Larryb posted:

Nice, what stages do I find the two Sword blueprints in then?

Gigant sword is in the Circut Speedway

Metaknight sword is from beating the first version of the Coliseum

Morpho sword comes from beating the postgame

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Larryb posted:

Yes, I literally said at the end of my post that we haven’t had something like that in a mainline Kirby game since the first one (unless you want to count the Spring Breeze and Revenge of the King games in Super Star/Ultra).

But then again Dedede isn’t really much of a major threat anymore when he’s not under mind control so that’s probably not going to be the case again

Oops I'm dumb. :pseudo:

But yeah I wouldn't even consider going back to Dreamland 1 "back to basics". The basics hadn't even been established yet. Dealing with monsters from beyond the stars and planet hopping adventures is just part of the Kirby series identity.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 26, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the standard Kirby format as we know it didn’t really start until Kirby’s Adventure on the NES

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The weirder part is that it is (or was, Star Allies might've overtaken it) the most successful Kirby game since the very first one on Game Boy, purely due to being in the right place at the right time (ie the DS right as that and NSMB were heating up),

Star Allies was like the second coming of Squeak Squad in that it was also hugely successful without actually being very good, but all the updates did at least make the post-game fun.

Star Allies felt close to good, IMO. It just gave you a hilariously expansive toolbox, then gave you levels and puzzles way too easy for it. If any Kirby game deserves a Kaizo style hack, it's Star Allies, because you could probably get some intense puzzles and mean level design with the sheer level of options that game gives you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
god the dodge is so GOOD

It's also weird how well it fits. Like if they gave Mario a Witch Time dodge it'd feel weird, but because it's Kirby I have no problem accepting it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Odd that the Whispy Woods expy isn’t the first boss as I found him a lot less tedious than the gorilla

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah lategame I had to abuse the hell out of the perfect dodge for safe DPS. It pretty much becomes outright vital for dodging certain attacks because Kirby can’t move out of the way in time otherwise.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Araxxor posted:

Yeah lategame I had to abuse the hell out of the perfect dodge for safe DPS. It pretty much becomes outright vital for dodging certain attacks because Kirby can’t move out of the way in time otherwise.

yeah the world 5 boss is basically learn to dodge or perish

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the main game and it's final boss is the coolest in the series probably next to star dream.

Also the kirby standard was there since the very first game- they're all literally connected in some ways (though I could believe they weren't meant to at first, retroactively they all slot together)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

According to Wise Waddle Dee the record for Tropic Woods is now 8.77 seconds with Normal. Crazy poo poo. I wonder if anyone's uploaded videos of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Powered up sleep: Fully heals you and gives you a massive stat buff across the board, and you can activate it whenever you want