Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
from really is the stupidest name and i've seen this whole thing. and i'll probably watch some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I should have paced my FROM watching better because now that I ran out, I went back to start LOST all over again. Let's see if it works better when I can just watch it at a faster pace.

I do have to say they were pretty drat up front about some themes of the show. Literally in the pilot Locke explains the concept of backgammon to Walt, and very meaningfully holds up two pieces, explaining it's a struggle between two sides; light and dark.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Tiggum posted:

TV IV > Yes, "From" really is the actual full name of the TV show

Thanks for this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I should have paced my FROM watching better because now that I ran out, I went back to start LOST all over again. Let's see if it works better when I can just watch it at a faster pace.

I do have to say they were pretty drat up front about some themes of the show. Literally in the pilot Locke explains the concept of backgammon to Walt, and very meaningfully holds up two pieces, explaining it's a struggle between two sides; light and dark.

I mean bottom line for Lost is while he was kind of a dick about it the Man in Black had fair points. Like a crazy lady killed his mom and all he wanted was to leave this loving island, but then his simp brother kills him and he's stuck there for literally eternity. There was never some twist where he was trying to wipe out all life or whatever, he just didn't believe the island was poo poo and was willing to do whatever he had to to get it to let him leave. He got it harder than most, even if he didn't respond to it in particularly healthy ways. Granted that's something that can be said about most of the cast and their backstories.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kinda though the season lost steam at the last couple episodes, but it's still good and I'm looking forward to more vampire s

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

precision posted:

Kinda though the season lost steam at the last couple episodes, but it's still good and I'm looking forward to more vampire s

I definitely got some nervous vibes from the last episode when it appeared that they were kinda reaching with their extended mythology. I mean, "there's a spooky town and monsters kill people at night" probably wouldn't have carried them too far, but jumping from that to ALSO THERE'S A SPOOKY LIGHTHOUSE, THERE'S TIME TRAVEL OR VISIONS FROM OTHER TIMES, THERE'S A HUGE SPIDER TREE THAT MIMICS DEAD PEOPLE, THERE'S A SPOOKY VOICE ON THE RADIO TAUNTING THE SURVIVORS, THERE'S A HIDDEN CAVE NETWORK UNDER THE TOWN WHERE THE MONSTERS SLEEP and all that feels like we're real close to just turning into a complete mess.

But hopefully not. Hopefully they'll have a better handle on this.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I definitely got some nervous vibes from the last episode when it appeared that they were kinda reaching with their extended mythology. I mean, "there's a spooky town and monsters kill people at night" probably wouldn't have carried them too far, but jumping from that to ALSO THERE'S A SPOOKY LIGHTHOUSE, THERE'S TIME TRAVEL OR VISIONS FROM OTHER TIMES, THERE'S A HUGE SPIDER TREE THAT MIMICS DEAD PEOPLE, THERE'S A SPOOKY VOICE ON THE RADIO TAUNTING THE SURVIVORS, THERE'S A HIDDEN CAVE NETWORK UNDER THE TOWN WHERE THE MONSTERS SLEEP and all that feels like we're real close to just turning into a complete mess.

All that stuff is what I’m exited about, spooky monsters are fine and all, but I want the extended mythology.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm a fan of the dumb horror stuff. Though it is, yes, dumb.

Give me murder spiders or give me death (by murder spiders).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Anyone ever figure out why step one wasn't to board up the windows?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oasx posted:

All that stuff is what I’m exited about, spooky monsters are fine and all, but I want the extended mythology.

I do too if they don't completely poo poo the bed in exploring that extended mythology.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But hopefully not. Hopefully they'll have a better handle on this.

there's no chance the majority of people are going to be happy with the answers we get

i just hope it gets crazier and crazier, don't even bother to go back to answer old questions

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They all died in various car crashes and got resurrected into an artifical Dark City like environment. The monsters are a different species that were brought aboard in an earlier iteration of the experiment. No, I don't know how that settles with Boyd's journey. Unless it's all virtual and it's an instance that he just left. Anyway, what I'm saying is... Aliens.

Edit: Basically it's either Riverworld, or it's Otherland.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The creators have at least been upfront in interviews and said they have answers for everything planned out. Specifically they said they have learned from Lost mistakes and Harold asked to know that was true before signing on.

Of course those answers might be poo poo.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Lost ultimately turned into a show that was more about the characters than the mysteries, and I personally don't really care whether the writers have any larger plans, as long as it is good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They've made it so ridiculous that the only possible explanation is some variation of "it's magic" or "it's a video game" or "it's a dream". Like, I feel like there's no way to have it be anything scientific.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

precision posted:

They've made it so ridiculous that the only possible explanation is some variation of "it's magic" or "it's a video game" or "it's a dream". Like, I feel like there's no way to have it be anything scientific.

It's a spooky town you can't get out of, full of vampires. Obviously it's magic. We knew it was magic from the start.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Specifically they said they have learned from Lost mistakes and Harold asked to know that was true before signing on.

lmao, "listen this sounds great but i need you to assure me i'm not in for lost v2"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
“Do the words ‘frozen donkey wheel’ turn up anywhere in your plans?”

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Das Boo posted:

Anyone ever figure out why step one wasn't to board up the windows?

It would've lowered the property values? :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

It's a spooky town you can't get out of, full of vampires. Obviously it's magic. We knew it was magic from the start.

No I know, I just mean at first it seemed possible it was a setup like an escape room

I guess it could still be a movie or secret reality show though

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i'm glad i don't have permanent psychic damage from lost and can enjoy this show for what it is.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Moltke posted:

i'm glad i don't have permanent psychic damage from lost and can enjoy this show for what it is.

Yeah, I've done three watches of Lost and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. I also really enjoyed From and don't particularly care if we don't get meaningful answers by the end.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, I'm rewatching the first season of Lost, and I had forgotten just how awesomely they layered on the mystical elements, and I also remember exactly why I fell so completely in love with the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It holds up to rewatches surprisingly well, I've gone through 3 times and it's still wild how consistently good it was

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

precision posted:

It holds up to rewatches surprisingly well, I've gone through 3 times and it's still wild how consistently good it was

I'm hoping. I remember falling off hard towards the end of the show, but it could be that I'm in a different place now or maybe it works better when I'm not waiting a week between episodes. So far so good, almost at the end of the first season.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

itry posted:

It would've lowered the property values? :shrug:

I woulda figured the neighbors responsible for that, but :hmmyes:.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
dang i just finally got around to burning through the first season and i thought it owned

the voice on the radio was something and i went 'oh poo poo' and scared my cat

also gently caress those spiders

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Aarrrghggh it ended too soon.

That was a good premier. Forgot how nicely shot the show is, and how good the end credits music is.

No notes, want more.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the kid and jade interacting was pretty funny

but holy poo poo, i've forgotten what happened last season

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The wiki article has brief synopses for every episode and so I’m very lucky that I don’t remember the names of any of the characters and can’t be spoiled that way.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

So looking at those drawings again, assuming it's chronological from left to right; a group of people had a river cruise, discovered that symbol or something represented by that symbol, then red cthulhu happened and suddenly there are red people around. Not very informative tbh. Unless there's a river somewhere and this means you have to go by river to get anywhere.

https://i.imgur.com/sgVagzM.mp4

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That owned so hard. Great callback, but also very loving funny.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
did the premiere leak or something? as far as I can tell it airs tonight...

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I don't know if it's a leak or what but it's out there.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
it showed up on amazon's mgm+ subscription last night :shrug:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

This shows really good, great episode. I needed that Lost itch scratched and this is really doing it for me.

"You're a creepy little kid" got a good laugh

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 23, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

That owned so hard. Great callback, but also very loving funny.

The doll bit is really goofy, but Jade's reaction made up for it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Who the gently caress is the spider queen you're all talking about? I don't remember anything about this

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Argue posted:

Who the gently caress is the spider queen you're all talking about? I don't remember anything about this

The finale of the first season had Boyd hallucinating after getting bitten by a spider and almost walking into a giant spider tree thing to be eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah the finale alone threw a ton of stuff at you and it's going to be interesting to see if any of it matters.

Watched the premiere and was tense the entire time. Love having this show back, and I can't wait for the inevitable blood bath next week.