Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Does ONEFC have no PPVs? All their content is free?

The second half of ONE: X was their very first PPV which took place a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Oh I see. How did it go? Was it a financial success? How is onefcs audience compared to bellator?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Nierbo posted:

Oh I see. How did it go? Was it a financial success? How is onefcs audience compared to bellator?

LobsterMobster posted:

ONE fighters don't weight cut. No, you can't watch the weigh ins, we'll just tell you everyone made weight. Please ignore that fighters routinely fail hydration tests, they end up passing them eventually, even if it takes 50 tries. They made weight and are perfectly healthy

ONE gets billions of views and has billions of dollars. No, you can't look at our numbers, just trust us!

So I'm guessing it did great, best PPV in the history of...something.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...transaction-mma

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Brut posted:

So I'm guessing it did great, best PPV in the history of...something.

The fights were good. IMO One regularly has better fights than UFC. Probably because they're doing even more PEDs there, but nevertheless.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The only specific, undeniable metrics on ONE's viewership we've ever had were when they were broadcasting on TNT after AEW Dynamite, and generally speaking they would be getting a lead-in audience of ~700-800,000 viewers and the subsequent episode of ONE would wind up averaging ~200,000-300,000 viewers. So at least in terms of the western audience base, they were running about on par with Bellator, albeit with a much better TV deal.

Their actual altogether viewership numbers are basically impossible to figure out because they just say whatever they want by taking total potential viewership and arbitrarily carving pieces out of it and then people report that because it's the only number they have. ONE had 29 million people on average watching its shows in 2019, even though its youtube metrics had livestreams barely getting watched. ONE's 100th event had 89 million people watching it, making it the most watched MMA event ever; don't ask us how. ONE's version of The Contender trended locally on Netflix in Singapore for a day, so Chatri put out a post reading "THE APPRENTICE IS THE #2 SHOW ON NETFLIX" on his blog.

It's a really fun company to watch and they are doing some genuinely interesting and exciting things with a genuinely interesting and exciting roster, but we won't ever know what the hell is going on under the hood because they somehow obfuscate things even harder than the UFC.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
GOOOOOOOOOON WEIGHT GAMBLING TIME!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I remember watching a ONE event a while back that was like "to the sold out crowd here in house, and the potential BILLIONS watching around the world, it's go time!"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

butros posted:

I remember watching a ONE event a while back that was like "to the sold out crowd here in house, and the potential BILLIONS watching around the world, it's go time!"

Bolded for conversational emphasis emphasis but the whole thing's really worth it, this is how Chatri signs off all of his blog/news posts

quote:

Chatri Sityodtong is a self-made entrepreneur and lifelong martial artist from Thailand. His rags-to-riches life story has inspired millions around the world on BBC News, CNN, Financial Times, Bloomberg TV, CNBC, Channel NewsAsia, and other major media. He is the Founder, Chairman, and CEO of ONE Championship, Asia’s largest global sports media property in history with a global broadcast to over 2.7 billion potential viewers across 150+ countries around the world. He is also the star of the Asian edition of The Apprentice, the award-winning, global reality TV series. Forbes most recently selected Sityodtong as one of Asia’s next generation tycoons. Sityodtong was also named “Asia’s King of Martial Arts” by the Financial Times and the “2nd Most Powerful Person in Sports in Asia” by FOX Sports. He is also an Entrepreneur-in-Residence at INSEAD, Europe’s top business school. Inducted recently into the Black Belt Hall of Fame, Sityodtong is a Kru in Muay Thai and a Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Sityodtong holds an MBA from Harvard Business School and a BA from Tufts University.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Holy lol he went to tufts

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
one fight down

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/1512492579216138247?t=Fl5HrA_C7luPIzNMXvWDJw&s=19

also, arcee and hansen missed weight, but it looks like both their opponents agreed to continue with the fights

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Dammit, that was a relatively interesting heavyweight bout. Oh well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Putting a 1 day probe :toxx: on TKZ if anyone wants to take Volk

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'll take those odds

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Nothing good can stay at heavyweight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Double-posting, but the news warrants it:

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/1512662241950289920

From a divisional standpoint it sucks that Joanna got to leave for two years, come back and immediately get what will almost certainly be a #1 contendership fight, but on the other hand that fight loving ruled so hard and seeing it again will be awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It’s probably a good fight for Zhang to take on after Rose. She’s got a good shot to keep to her strengths; i don’t see JJ being able to keep her down if she tries to take Zhang to the mat.
I don’t ever see Zhang posting any wrestling training in her IG. It’s mostly conditioning, then some striking drills, and a tiny bit of jiujitsu. I don’t know if grappling stuff is downplayed as a bit of deception, or if she isn’t trying to complete her game as much as she needs to to rematch Rose. That wrestling coach with the glasses interacts with her all the time and is part of her camps to some degree, but I’ve not seen evidence of that training on social media.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CarlCX posted:

Double-posting, but the news warrants it:

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/1512662241950289920

From a divisional standpoint it sucks that Joanna got to leave for two years, come back and immediately get what will almost certainly be a #1 contendership fight, but on the other hand that fight loving ruled so hard and seeing it again will be awesome.

Hopefully Joanna's forehead fares better in this bout

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i went to the ufc page to get a list of the main card fights for a buddy of mine and they don't have a picture of volk? what in the hell? this isn't corb fuckler making his debut so he doesn't have a wiki page or whatever. sorry for the self tweet - im on mobile and this is the easiest way to post the pic

https://twitter.com/RecreationalAn1/status/1512840464688246796?t=lNuKPOQVRu7_J0kq7qEhYw&s=19

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tonight is the night. korean zombie night. i have enjoyed your run volk but it's over. T K Z

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

i went to the ufc page to get a list of the main card fights for a buddy of mine and they don't have a picture of volk? what in the hell? this isn't corb fuckler making his debut so he doesn't have a wiki page or whatever. sorry for the self tweet - im on mobile and this is the easiest way to post the pic

https://twitter.com/RecreationalAn1/status/1512840464688246796?t=lNuKPOQVRu7_J0kq7qEhYw&s=19

u gotta pay for the season pass to unlock him

also, just use this site, UFC's page sucks (unless you can't tune in and are seeing which fights have already happened): https://mmafightcards.org/

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

hoping TKZ flash knocks out volkanovski and never defends the belt, instead retiring and going on korean variety shows.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Speaking of the UFC sucking how do they not have any regular news / analysis show on their own streaming service??
Surely they can afford to put someone in a studio for 45 minutes a week?

Southpaugh posted:

hoping TKZ flash knocks out volkanovski and never defends the belt, instead retiring and going on korean variety shows.

this but aljo

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah, there's a reason when I do the writeups I always use tapology and wikipedia, the UFC really doesn't care about the events side of their website. As long as it at a basic level exists, they're happy.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Take back what you said about Corb Fuckler, you sunnuvabitch.

edit: Also just noticed that both Sterling and Yan are listed as champion and both pics have the belt as if one had the leather strap and the other had the metal plates until this is over and the belt is re-assembled.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 9, 2022

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Unperson_47 posted:

my bad. have a funny tweet from a guy with a fuckler-like name to make up for it

https://twitter.com/The_Real_GM3/status/1512806086054666242?s=19

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999216

GDT is up. Prelims now start at 3:30/6:30 thanks to the cancellation.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Unperson_47 posted:

edit: Also just noticed that both Sterling and Yan are listed as champion and both pics have the belt as if one had the leather strap and the other had the metal plates until this is over and the belt is re-assembled.

That's cuz Yan's fight with Sandhagen was for the interim belt, so this is technically a unification bout.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

It’s probably a good fight for Zhang to take on after Rose. She’s got a good shot to keep to her strengths; i don’t see JJ being able to keep her down if she tries to take Zhang to the mat.
I don’t ever see Zhang posting any wrestling training in her IG. It’s mostly conditioning, then some striking drills, and a tiny bit of jiujitsu. I don’t know if grappling stuff is downplayed as a bit of deception, or if she isn’t trying to complete her game as much as she needs to to rematch Rose. That wrestling coach with the glasses interacts with her all the time and is part of her camps to some degree, but I’ve not seen evidence of that training on social media.

sick fight. they absolutely need to make it a non-title 5 rounder if it isn't.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

my bad. have a funny tweet from a guy with a fuckler-like name to make up for it

https://twitter.com/The_Real_GM3/status/1512806086054666242?s=19

At least he has a sense of humour about it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/steviejayonline/status/1513017866454732800

aljamain's righteous victory is the gift that keeps giving

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
wish i'd remembered to put money down on sterling. oh well

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

tkz will always be king of my heart, just like the dokdo islands will always be a fundamental part of the soul if the korean people

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

aljo has to be the first mma fighter i can think of that won his championship by DQ then went on to successfully retain it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

aljo has to be the first mma fighter i can think of that won his championship by DQ

you were already correct halfway into the post

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Zombie's wife crying in the cage after the fight :(

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

you were already correct halfway into the post

Even in other organisations? Never happened before? Surely someone else has had a miscreant brain fade

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
aljo really needs to work on that gas tank. reminds me of an oldschool aldo the way he's got exactly 3 rounds in him.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BlindSite posted:

Even in other organisations? Never happened before? Surely someone else has had a miscreant brain fade

In an alternate timeline, this could have been Anthony Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

aljo really needs to work on that gas tank. reminds me of an oldschool aldo the way he's got exactly 3 rounds in him.

It's all that grapplin'

There's a reason most of the elite wrestler champs become kickboxers when they start fighting five rounds regularly

Also here is a hot take: Raquel Pennington is a modern day Randy Couture. Her record is bad, her clinch-boxing style is ugly, and it always seems like she's going to lose, but she keeps winning anyway