Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

now don't you post that without calling out that it's from 2017 no--

ohhhhhhh, wait, i get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If that turns out to be horseshit and they have no plan whatsoever, I don't see how the Democratic party retains any of its already rapidly diminishing credibility.

They will use this as a rallying cry to get voters. It will be marginally successful and the party will not fundamentally change whatsoever from now until the heat death of the universe.

Through the vacuum of campaign donations this is probably a goldmine for both parties.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

They're also going after INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE, the RIGHT TO CONTRACEPTION, and the RIGHT to NOT TO BE FORCIBLY STERILIZED:

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1521304125874614274

I am really, really, really loving depressed right now.

I don't really see much hope from here. Thanks, Obama.

Can't wait till this is used to justify strengthening slavery again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

Itz inda BAIBUL! :downs:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

John Brown did nothing wrong.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Someone help me out with the latest SCOTUS draft decision.

What case is this a decision for? I was under the impression that both of the latest crazy abortion laws were not being argued in SCOTUS. Am I wrong in that? If not, how can they just make a decision like that without a trial? I was under the impression that they can only rule on what is being debated, so crazy abortion law shouldn't be a question about Roe v Wade, but a question on the legality of that particular law. It seems like a big jump from "is deputising randos legal" to "remove Roe v Wade."

How does that logic/timeline advance so far/quickly.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Someone help me out with the latest SCOTUS draft decision.

What case is this a decision for? I was under the impression that both of the latest crazy abortion laws were not being argued in SCOTUS. Am I wrong in that? If not, how can they just make a decision like that without a trial? I was under the impression that they can only rule on what is being debated, so crazy abortion law shouldn't be a question about Roe v Wade, but a question on the legality of that particular law. It seems like a big jump from "is deputising randos legal" to "remove Roe v Wade."

How does that logic/timeline advance so far/quickly.

This is nothing new. Plessy v Ferguson was a case about whether or not a slave became free when brought into a territory that outlawed slavery. The Supreme court took the opportunity to declare that black people weren't citizens, had no rights, and couldn't take a case to court.

As an institution, the Supreme Court sucks.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A.o.D. posted:

This is nothing new. Plessy v Ferguson was a case about whether or not a slave became free when brought into a territory that outlawed slavery. The Supreme court took the opportunity to declare that black people weren't citizens, had no rights, and couldn't take a case to court.

As an institution, the Supreme Court sucks.

I get that. I don't like it, but that was the decision for that case. That I understand.

Right now, unless someone can point to the case this "decision" is for, it seems like there is no trial, just a decision from SCOTUS. They don't just randomly issue opinions with no trial, right? I was under the impression that there were two laws being challenged. Neither of those two laws are being heard by SCOTUS (that I know of), last I heard they were both kicked back down to the lower courts.

So my question is: What trial is going on to allow for a decision?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's this one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobbs_v._Jackson_Women%27s_Health_Organization?wprov=sfla1

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

ASAPI posted:

I get that. I don't like it, but that was the decision for that case. That I understand.

Right now, unless someone can point to the case this "decision" is for, it seems like there is no trial, just a decision from SCOTUS. They don't just randomly issue opinions with no trial, right? I was under the impression that there were two laws being challenged. Neither of those two laws are being heard by SCOTUS (that I know of), last I heard they were both kicked back down to the lower courts.

This was regarding the case about the Mississippi law banning abortion after 15 weeks

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ASAPI posted:

You don't really get that. The case was only about whether or not Plessy was a free man. What ended up being decided was that Black people, whether they were free or slaves had no citizenship, or recourse to the American legal system to seek redress. There is no formal law or constitutional document that limits what the Supreme Court can rule on, only tradition and decorum, both of which hold no value for modern conservatism.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

now don't you post that without calling out that it's from 2017 no--

ohhhhhhh, wait, i get it

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1521294980488204289?s=20&t=MwV5e2ZN2SxW_TVmZL5CRg

I think I'm loving done taking voting orders from any of these ghouls that make up the Democratic Party's leadership or their hangers-on. Seriously, gently caress them. Retire and term limits, please.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bigfoot could always use another vote.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Epiphyte posted:

This was regarding the case about the Mississippi law banning abortion after 15 weeks

Ah, I thought Mississippi was kicked back, this makes more sense.

A.o.D. posted:

You don't really get that. The case was only about whether or not Plessy was a free man. What ended up being decided was that Black people, whether they were free or slaves had no citizenship, or recourse to the American legal system to seek redress. There is no formal law or constitutional document that limits what the Supreme Court can rule on, only tradition and decorum, both of which hold no value for modern conservatism.

I do. I was concerned with the fact that (to me) there was a decision without a case. I can understand that a decision was issued, for a case, and not agree with it. I am not arguing if a decision is "correct" or not, I was asking if a decision was made without a trial. You are hung up on a unrelated detail to my question, I am aware that SCOTUS will place bizarre things in their decisions.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Ah, I thought Mississippi was kicked back, this makes more sense.

I do. I was concerned with the fact that (to me) there was a decision without a case. I can understand that a decision was issued, for a case, and not agree with it. I am not arguing if a decision is "correct" or not, I was asking if a decision was made without a trial. You are hung up on a unrelated detail to my question, I am aware that SCOTUS will place bizarre things in their decisions.

I thought you were asking how SCOTUS could make a ruling not related to the case before them, not whether or not there was a case. My mistake.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Truly it is the voters who are wrong rather than doubling down on "better things aren't possible" and "any change must be small, easily reversible, and means tested".

edit: My state sent two democrat senators to the senate which we haven't done since 1990, one of which is definitely losing in 2022 due to the failure of the democrats to go and protect their theoretical ability to be elected in red states in the first place.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 3, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

lol, before all of this dropped yesterday, had to deal with my incredibly smug conservative brother and sister in law questioning why my wife and I are planning on moving to Canada in the next few years. Don't we understand that taxes are higher there and that the healthcare isn't actually "free"? :smug:

"Yeah, I'm aware of how taxation works, and I'm a citizen with roughly 3/4 of my family living there so I know what to expect, but go off. Continue telling me how things work in Canada."

This poo poo seals the deal. I'm so relieved my wife wants out of this stupid country even more than I do.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Fascists have a habit of not staying inside their containment zone, FYI. Ceding the fight now helps guarantee a worse one later.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol at all the Twitter pundits pointing fingers and assigning blame rather than discussing next steps. American progressives and leftists are one big moronic circular firing squad. What a total poo poo show

Edit: ^^^ 100% we are gonna be looking at a federal ban as soon as they have congress

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1521294980488204289?s=20&t=MwV5e2ZN2SxW_TVmZL5CRg

I think I'm loving done taking voting orders from any of these ghouls that make up the Democratic Party's leadership or their hangers-on. Seriously, gently caress them. Retire and term limits, please.

No it’s cool they’ll enshrine it in law and get you that COVID check you just need to vote one more time

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

They will use this as a rallying cry to get voters more campaign contributions.

They don't give a flying gently caress about voters.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Withholding judgement until there's well thought out think pieces from adults in room. Remember when we thought $2000 check meant one $2000 check and how wrong we were? Maybe this is like that

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1521491244135993347?s=21&t=G0FOr6pKQCjlLaQwfzSt5g

The brow furrowing was very very intense.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I was all set to get the snip before COVID hit but I guess it's time to get back on that saddle.

Metaphorically speaking. I am pretty sure you're not supposed to sit on a saddle right afterwards.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

What! No way! The decorum!

A.o.D. posted:

Ceding the fight now helps guarantee a worse one later.

What fight? One political party is doing what they say they will and the other fundraises off of talking about how bad it is while doing literally nothing about it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1521509300287512576?t=E2KDmP_06LSLLjDdpbtaZQ&s=19

This joke will never not be funny

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

A.o.D. posted:

Fascists have a habit of not staying inside their containment zone, FYI. Ceding the fight now helps guarantee a worse one later.

IDK man, if I have to choose between staying here and watching this poo poo get increasingly worse for people around me no matter my efforts, or me taking my family back to Canada where we don't have to deal with this kind of poo poo (for now) nor have to worry about a medical bankruptcy to boot, I know what choice I'm going with. Do I think this stupidity isn't going to try expand beyond America and into Canada somehow (or that it hasn't already)? Of course not, but gently caress it, mine as well go where I feel more at home.

We'd been planning on doing this move for awhile now, so it's not a "Oh Bush won again, guess I'm moving to Canada!" move. It basically boiled down to "Hey, remember when you said you really enjoyed the climate and scenery in BC and NS. Why not move there in a few years? I'm a citizen so immigrating won't be a massive hurdle for us." This latest poo poo is just further encouragement that we're making the right call for us.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I was all set to get the snip before COVID hit but I guess it's time to get back on that saddle.

Metaphorically speaking. I am pretty sure you're not supposed to sit on a saddle right afterwards.

Sit on a bag of frozen peas. It helps.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thankfully Brandon has been working a Twitter disinformation task force this week glad priorities are straight

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
lol god drat that was fast.

quote:

Every House Republican voted against protecting reproductive rights. Now a draft opinion shows SCOTUS will overturn Roe v. Wade. So we're calling for a historic surge to DEFEAT the anti-choice GOP. Can we count on your immediate $200 to elect pro-choice House Dems?
Reply STOP to end

Not even from a number I recognize.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Can’t believe Bernie would sabotage abortion rights again

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lmao gently caress this earth

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Bigfoot could always use another vote.

:agreed:

Seriously I think I voted for Bigfoot in election once as a write in once? I mean I definitely did write in Lucio Fulci one time.

But yeah I’d vote for this sexy mf’er anytime.

I mean if you live in super super chud territory I don’t think anyone could blame you. I think you can make as much as statement to say that you’d rather vote for a mythical ape man then opposed to Lauren Bobert.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

This really is some next level poo poo, as far as insults go. Not only did they pull this off during a democratic administration, but with a lady vice president in office no less.

Just loving lmao if you live in the United States and plan on starting a family right now. I sure hope that pregnancy goes off without a hitch because if something goes sideways you'll soon be irrecoverably turbo-hosed medically, legally, financially and in every other way that matters.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
guys I've been reading a lot of lib tweeter and it turns out this is our fault for *checks notes* not voting democrat enough in previous elections?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:agreed:

Seriously I think I voted for Bigfoot in election once as a write in once? I mean I definitely did write in Lucio Fulci one time.

But yeah I’d vote for this sexy mf’er anytime.

I mean if you live in super super chud territory I don’t think anyone could blame you. I think you can make as much as statement to say that you’d rather vote for a mythical ape man then opposed to Lauren Bobert.

Yeah, it's unlikely Boebert loses my district this year. She has the western slope, which is absolutely full of the most regressive people in the state. The valley itself seems pretty split, but figure in the nuts further west and it doesn't look good for getting a dem in her seat.

Bigfoot it is, I guess.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

guys I've been reading a lot of lib tweeter and it turns out this is our fault for *checks notes* not voting democrat enough in previous elections?

I'm going to take a bold stance and say that everyone who voted for Susan Collins is a colossal dipshit

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Between all the bullshit being passed by Florida (where I mostly grew up) and now this, I can't help but feel disgust and contempt for the bible thumping yokels that infest the rural areas of the country. It's depressing that this includes a lot of people I know from growing up in the South, including my own family members.

I have more in common with city dwellers in other countries than I do with any American hick.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah, the braindead fingerpointing really highlights how theyre not gonna fo poo poo about / to prevent this.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
CNN Article on sailors moving off the George Washington after a rash of deaths on the ship

quote:

More than 200 sailors moved off aircraft carrier after multiple suicides

More than 200 sailors have moved off the USS George Washington aircraft carrier after multiple deaths by suicide among the crew, including three in less than one week in April, according to the Navy.

The sailors are moving to a local Navy installation as the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier continues to go through a years-long refueling and overhaul process at the shipyard in Newport News in Virginia. Over the past 12 months, seven members of the crew have died, including four by suicide, prompting the Navy to open an investigation into the command climate and culture on board the Nimitz-class carrier.

The commanding officer of the carrier, Capt. Brent Gaut, made the decision to allow sailors living on board the ship to move to other accommodations, according to a statement from Naval Air Force Atlantic. On the first day of the move, which began Monday, more than 200 sailors left the carrier and moved to a nearby Navy facility.

"The move plan will continue until all Sailors who wish to move off-ship have done so," the statement said. Although the carrier does not have its full complement of approximately 5,000 sailors, the ship still has between 2,000 and 3,000 sailors living aboard during the overhaul process.

The ship's command is working to identify sailors who could "benefit from and desire the support services and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) programs" that are available on local Navy facilities. The Navy is in the process of setting up "temporary accommodations" for these sailors, according to an earlier statement from Naval Air Force Atlantic.

"Leadership is actively implementing these and pursuing a number of additional morale and personal well-being measures and support services to members assigned to USS George Washington."

The deaths aboard the carrier prompted Rep. Elaine Luria, a 20-year Navy veteran whose district encompasses multiple military facilities, to write a letter to the Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Michael Gilday, demanding immediate action to ensure the safety of the crew.

"Each of these deaths is a tragedy, and the number of incidents within a single command, which includes as many as four sailors taking their own lives, raises significant concern that requires immediate and stringent inquiry," Luria wrote last week, noting that her office has received complaints about the quality of life aboard the ship and a toxic atmosphere.

Link: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/03/politics/uss-george-washington-sailors/index.html

Question 1 - I thought the GW was in the equivalent of drydock and that the sailors couldn't be berthed in what was effectively a construction zone. But I'm a stupid civvy who knows gently caress all about Navy beyond what I read from here. Could CNN be talking about those dorm-like barges?

Question 2 - Given how public this got am I correct in assuming that Capt. Gaut is close to retirement / changing command and LOL gently caress You if you think anything beyond that will happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mustang posted:

Between all the bullshit being passed by Florida (where I mostly grew up) and now this, I can't help but feel disgust and contempt for the bible thumping yokels that infest the rural areas of the country. It's depressing that this includes a lot of people I know from growing up in the South, including my own family members.

I have more in common with city dwellers in other countries than I do with any American hick.

It wasn’t rural hicks that did this or anything of consequence, it’s much more billionaire money