Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Karach posted:

make sure your children can tell the difference between clips and magazines.

don't neglect the drums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Karach posted:

why not, like, shoot up a C-suite or something. why tiny children?

Because the often unstated thing about these mass shooters is they're fascist freaks

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You guys are overreacting. Less than half a percent of all American schools experience a mass shooting each year, and given that the exponential growth for that percentage has had a period of 5 years, it won't be until 2055 that kids have a 50% chance of experiencing one each year.

So stop with the extreme rhetoric.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Karach posted:

because terror and cruelty is the loving point

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

err posted:

american society is very sick. I cant imagine what it will be like in 10-20 years

I don't think it will exist in 10-20 years.

But I'm the optimistic type.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Chuds have decided to blame an unrelated trans girl whose photos are getting sprayed all over Twitter

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/gayest_tone/status/1529503108442759169?t=NMpQDLEp8U7aUR5CVQ1WKQ&s=19

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shiroc posted:

Chuds have decided to blame an unrelated trans girl whose photos are getting sprayed all over Twitter

Why settle for merely allowing children to be murdered when you can encourage people to murder children?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ikanreed posted:

America is a hell hole. Did English people go crazy like this when the British empire fell apart?

We have a similar sickness but we had a school shooting in 1996 then banned guns and there hasn't been one since

But America is a social experiment for profit where you excise every function of government but keep the corruption. Its a mad max disney land for robber barons

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
help everywhere I go "Pumped Up Kicks" is playing. It won't stop

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grimoire posted:

help everywhere I go "Pumped Up Kicks" is playing. It won't stop

Pumped Up Kids? Seems a little insensitive right now.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

RandomBlue posted:

Pumped Up Kids? Seems a little insensitive right now.

better than high hopes I guess

quote:

Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing
Didn't have a dime but I always had a vision
Always had high, high hopes
Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Didn't know how but I always had a feeling
I was gonna be that one in a million
Always had high, high hopes
Mama said
Fulfill the prophecy
Be something greater
Go make a legacy
Manifest destiny
Back in the days
We wanted everything, wanted everything
Mama said
Burn your biographies
Rewrite your history
Light up your wildest dreams
Museum victories, everyday
We wanted everything, wanted everything

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Riot Bimbo posted:

because terror and cruelty is the loving point

I'm optimistic that the energies contained within would-be mass shooters could be repurposed for our collective benefit

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

how many American children did covid-19 lockdowns save from gun violence?

There were 21 fewer deaths in school shootings in 2020 compared to the average, but overall the death rate from gunshot wounds almost doubled because of the collapse of the hospital system.

Anyway, as I wrote in the covid thread:

Chamale posted:

A lot of my friends feel awful about the 18 children murdered at that school in Texas, and I'm realizing that's how I feel every week. On average 18 children die of covid every week, and we know how to stop it, and we won't. It's unrelenting tragedy for so many families, and the media won't talk about it because they need people to get out and spend. Mass death is the American way of life, whether it's children choking to death in the hospital or getting gunned down in their elementary school.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
CDC says it's 430 covid deaths for 0-4 and another 800 for 5-17

Are you dividing that by weeks of school and taking out breaks or what

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mastershakeman posted:

CDC says it's 430 covid deaths for 0-4 and another 800 for 5-17

Are you dividing that by weeks of school and taking out breaks or what

That's for this year. Kids are dying of covid at a faster rate now. 297 children died of covid from December 30, 2021 to May 19, 2022, which actually works out to 15 children per week. The AAP's total death number of 920,860 is a 20% undercount of the excess death toll of 1,156,820, so assuming that child covid deaths are undercounted at the same rate, that makes the rate 18 per week. There's about as much political will to stop this as there is to stop mass shootings.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
If you define a mass shooting as an incident where four or more people (excluding the perpetrator) are shot there have been 11 mass shootings per week in 2022 in the US so far.

That seems like a lot to me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Chamale posted:

That's for this year. Kids are dying of covid at a faster rate now. 297 children died of covid from December 30, 2021 to May 19, 2022, which actually works out to 15 children per week. The AAP's total death number of 920,860 is a 20% undercount of the excess death toll of 1,156,820, so assuming that child covid deaths are undercounted at the same rate, that makes the rate 18 per week. There's about as much political will to stop this as there is to stop mass shootings.

Gotcha, thanks

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I hosed up and didn't notice there was already a mass shootings thread, so cross-posting:

Gun manufacturers have a responsibility... ...to their shareholders. You see, every time one of these mass shootings happens, the Republicans start screaming that the Dems are coming to grab everyone's guns. This causes the chuds to run as fast as they can to buy more guns. This helps drive up the stock prices of the gun manufacturing companies. Therefore, in order to satisfy their fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, the gun manufacturers must ensure that these mass shootings continue. Any government action to make them stop must be opposed. They have boardroom meetings about exactly this. Logically, in their minds, they are doing the responsible thing.

The invisible hand of the free market is holding a gun.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Holy poo poo, Louisiana is not the worse?
Did that change because of the pandemic?

Louisiana in 2015 had the highest murder rate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

According to this in 2015 Alaska was the worse; Louisiana was second.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.html

California dropped. Yeah, if anybody wanted any loving hope there it is. Gun owners are self-selecting to live around other gun owners.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Karach posted:

These unstable, angry psychos looking to hurt people keep attacking defenseless children rather than my ideological enemies, what the hell???

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Its really impressive how doing anything about guns is just never an option in the American psyche. People I know are having a deep discussion about school shootings in a chat and any mention of guns just isnt even acknowledged. of course addressing guns isnt a solution. lets talk about the effects of social media on kids because thats easier to solve.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Al-Saqr posted:

So let me get this straight.

the cops, famous for always unloading their entire clip on black children, not only couldnt take out an armed maniac, they cowered and ran and let that psycho make it inside that school to kill kids. and now it turns out that mass shooter wasnt wearing armour so the cops couldve popped him much sooner if they had any balls in them?

but enough about american troops,

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

It's just totally obvious that gun control being tighter leads to fewer gun deaths. If it were illegal to possess firearms, this kid would not have the connections or the money to get one. Almost none of these cheese-dicked incels would be able to get one.

If guns were criminalized, it wouldn't be all criminals who would have guns, just the cool rich ones, and they don't do mass shootings with their guns.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

So let me get this straight.

the cops, famous for always unloading their entire clip on black children, not only couldnt take out an armed maniac, they cowered and ran and let that psycho make it inside that school to kill kids. and now it turns out that mass shooter wasnt wearing armour so the cops couldve popped him much sooner if they had any balls in them?

Can't believe the pigs failed to save the day yet again

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

It's just totally obvious that gun control being tighter leads to fewer gun deaths. If it were illegal to possess firearms, this kid would not have the connections or the money to get one. Almost none of these cheese-dicked incels would be able to get one.

If guns were criminalized, it wouldn't be all criminals who would have guns, just the cool rich ones, and they don't do mass shootings with their guns.

Yes, but they do smuggle drugs and ... Wait I'm still not seeing the downside

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

Its really impressive how doing anything about guns is just never an option in the American psyche. People I know are having a deep discussion about school shootings in a chat and any mention of guns just isnt even acknowledged. of course addressing guns isnt a solution. lets talk about the effects of social media on kids because thats easier to solve.

Obviously some sort of hypothetical mass campaign to change peoples thoughts and personalities is the only thing that can be done, lets be reasonable

joe football has issued a correction as of 01:56 on May 26, 2022

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Most of my relatives and friends are mad at me online for pointing out that this poo poo is just normal and nothing is ever going to change it so it is dumb to even talk about. Except to make fun of chicken poo poo cops.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Chamale posted:

lol. lmao.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actually all criminals everywhere have infinite money and know how and connections when it comes to getting guns so there's absolutely no point restricting access to them since anyone who has ever committed a crime can simply snap their fingers and have a gun appear in their hands at a moment's notice. also you're racist for wanting to restrict guns because minorities need guns to protect themselves from the police.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

they love that line about how criminals will find some way to kill dozens of children if you ban guns, always conveniently ignoring that the reason aspiring mass killed choose guns is that other ways of trying to kill people are less easy and efficient

the example I always remember, though some details might have got fuzzier over the years, is that the same day as Sandy Hook a man with a knife in China went on a stabbing rampage in a Chinese school, and he stabbed like two dozen children (about the same number killed at Sandy Hook) and none of them died because being stabbed is less deadly than being shot in the face with an assault rifle

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Vox Nihili posted:

These unstable, angry psychos looking to hurt people keep attacking defenseless children rather than my ideological enemies, what the hell???

Just for a change of pace!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Holy poo poo, Louisiana is not the worse?
Did that change because of the pandemic?

Louisiana in 2015 had the highest murder rate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

when i was a kid new orleans was "the gunshot murder capital of the country" the local news ended every night broadcast with a list of how many people had been shot that day instead of a cat video

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

vyelkin posted:

the example I always remember, though some details might have got fuzzier over the years, is that the same day as Sandy Hook a man with a knife in China went on a stabbing rampage in a Chinese school, and he stabbed like two dozen children (about the same number killed at Sandy Hook) and none of them died because being stabbed is less deadly than being shot in the face with an assault rifle

You mean all Chinese people don't know the precise points to stab to kill a person instantly? Did martial arts movies lie to me??

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
you can't take all the guns because there's too many! it's not practical to go house to house

oh yeah?

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1520755628058234880?t=EbWSmVPBALbuau7Y9iKfAg

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Karach posted:

Just for a change of pace!

We got the change of pace when a qanon freak killed a mob boss. That was a good day.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I kinda think that America has shown it can't really handle having guns. If people want to start quoting Marx at me to say I'm a liberal, all of the Black Panthers who were threatening to capital are dead anyway and the biggest, most successful, armed movement against the government was in defense of slavery and still lost the shooting war part.

America isn't going to have a leftist revolution of any form unless it is somehow pulled out of being fake society of nihilist individualism and I'd rather people not have the freely available tools to murder each other until that happens.

Of course this includes disarming the cops and military since I'm talking about a world of fantasy where change for better is possible.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

I kinda think that America has shown it can't really handle having guns. If people want to start quoting Marx at me to say I'm a liberal, all of the Black Panthers who were threatening to capital are dead anyway and the biggest, most successful, armed movement against the government was in defense of slavery and still lost the shooting war part.

America isn't going to have a leftist revolution of any form unless it is somehow pulled out of being fake society of nihilist individualism and I'd rather people not have the freely available tools to murder each other until that happens.

Of course this includes disarming the cops and military since I'm talking about a world of fantasy where change for better is possible.

it's really frustrating that gun culture has infested most leftist circles too, with the same macho bullshit as rightwingers but repackaged for their section of the political spectrum. I no longer have anywhere I can say 'I really wish guns didn't loving exist and I think nobody anywhere should have them' without someone trying to well, actually me into a lengthy explanation of how guns are good, with whatever flavor of idpol they prefer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

ikanreed posted:

We got the change of pace when a qanon freak killed a mob boss. That was a good day.

I never heard about this. link?