Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I'm super, super serial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just listen to last podcast on the left, it's garbage but at least it's entertaining.
I’m sorry, I absolutely cannot listen to dudes who think doing funny voices is comedy talk about the toy box murders.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

remigious posted:

I’m sorry, I absolutely cannot listen to dudes who think doing funny voices is comedy talk about the toy box murders.

I mean hitting someone with a stick is even funnier but it doesn't really translate to audio media

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Who What Now posted:

I listened to the first season and they never said if he really did it or not

I also listened to their offshoot about the racist school district but dropped it around episode 4

sexualizing the mom from Arthur, a children's cartoon

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

remigious posted:

:hmmyes:

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Bula Vinaka posted:

I'm super, super serial.

Whats the shark tooth necklace pendant about

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Das Boo posted:

Casefile was nice, dry, and factual true crime, but I haven't listened to it in a couple of years. Is it still good?

I hadn’t listened in a couple years either, tuned in and yikesed the gently caress out. I don’t even remember what it was but I was like oh this isn’t it anymore.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Someone mentioned it upthread but Sarah Koenig's whole "educated white person idealizes brown person struggle" reminds me of a really great long-form piece I read on here a few years back.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/love-story-upended-texas-prison-system

Tl;dr older white woman falls in love with Hispanic inmate's story, and their deep pen pal relationship leads to some very serious changes to the human rights abuse in Texas prisons (at least until Texas made things bad again I'm sure). He eventually gets freed after about 15-20 years and they get married for all of like 6 months which lol. I'm glad the condescending martyr complex of the white lady actually led to some positive changes but come on.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

i listened to season one a while back, it was cool. i'm glad the guy is out, or sad, if he did it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Crespolini posted:

i listened to season one a while back, it was cool. i'm glad the guy is out, or sad, if he did it.

Go for both! He probably did it but the prosecution was a shambles and the government shouldn't be able to just go "yeah man seems like he's guilty probably" and have that count.

That was honestly my takeaway from the first season (albeit recalling from years ago): that there was no satisfying answer, and it's not even clear what the right thing to do is, because given imperfect knowledge it's pretty hosed up to either jail him or release him. It was an interesting example of the kinds of conundrums a justice system faces in trying to deal with an imperfect world where nothing is clear and sometimes can't be made clear with any amount of effort.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i enjoyed season one but it was 7 years ago or whatever. i enjoyed season 3 and i listened to that last year, it was different though. also enjoyed the trojan horse affair which was similar although presented by different people. i lost interest in season 2 and didn't finish it.

as far as podcasts go, which isn't far, it's fine for listening to when you have nothing more interesting to keep you occupied.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nonathlon posted:

I don't buy the infatuation (although it's not great journalism to discuss with a suspect that you to believe them), but there's no story if it's not a miscarriage of justice. I wonder what the production history of Serial was like - did they go in sure they'd uncover injustice and then had to try and make a story out of it?

The whole gimmick was that it was being produced live, as in each week's episode was an update about the previous weeks reporting, so unlike traditional reporting/podcasts/whatever it was more gonzo journalism via live blogging which is also what made it suck. They didn't know where the story was going so they just fell into driving to drive the story in the way they wanted it to go because of personal attachment. The host sucks and ruined the whole thing by the end. I think the plug got pulled and that's why the final episode is so unsatisfying. They

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 21, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I hadn’t listened in a couple years either, tuned in and yikesed the gently caress out. I don’t even remember what it was but I was like oh this isn’t it anymore.

You got me curious, so I went over for a look.
Uhh, this is loving weird. His new narration is uncomfortably robotic and stilted, whereas his old stuff had a nice, natural flow. I'll sometimes listen to robo-generated voices narrate stories, but it's all sorts of uncanny valley coming out of an actual human. What the hell?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Trojan Horse Affair is a way better podcast, but they are all in the shadow of S-Town which is as close as we will get to Ernest Hemmingway coming back from the dead and producing a podcast in the 2000's.

Whatever is the truth with Adan, Serial as a podcast is at best basically essentially a work of fiction, and at worst actually misleading and deceptive.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Akratic Method posted:

Go for both! He probably did it but the prosecution was a shambles and the government shouldn't be able to just go "yeah man seems like he's guilty probably" and have that count.

That was honestly my takeaway from the first season (albeit recalling from years ago): that there was no satisfying answer, and it's not even clear what the right thing to do is, because given imperfect knowledge it's pretty hosed up to either jail him or release him. It was an interesting example of the kinds of conundrums a justice system faces in trying to deal with an imperfect world where nothing is clear and sometimes can't be made clear with any amount of effort.

Let him out, he'll probably kill again and then he can be prosecuted the right way

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Let him out, he'll probably kill again and then he can be prosecuted the right way

:thunk:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I didn't pick up on the host having a crush on Adnan when I first listened to it. I listened to a couple again and it's so obvious. I can't believe I didn't pick up on it before, like when she starts every single episode with that dumb piano theme and "This is Serial. I'm your host, Sarah Koenig, and I want to kiss Adnan Syed on the mouth"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Serial held up for me since I still remember a lot of it even though I only listened to it once, eight years ago. I thought he didn't do it after first listening to the whole thing, but I read this essay by somebody and it was pretty convincing https://dhinden.wordpress.com/2019/03/09/guilty-as-sin/

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I got this from another message board, but here's the motion to vacate and their summary of the stuff that was withheld in the trial.
https://content.govdelivery.com/att...009-14-2022.pdf

- Two new suspects that were not properly ruled out.
- One of the suspects had a) threatened to kill the victim and b) provided motives for the threat.
- The victim's car was located directly behind one of those suspects relative's house.
- One of the suspects attacked a woman in her vehicle, engaged in serial rape and assault, engaged in violence against women he knew, and was improperly ruled out.
- Incoming call data was determined to be completely unreliable, as the network sends the signal through multiple towers and the billing records can show the last tower a phone connected to instead of the one it is currently on.
- Kristina Vinson said she would not have missed a class at the same time she said Jay and Adnan were at her house, which showed that her recollection of what day Jay and Adnan had visited was wrong.
- Because Jay had told numerous lies and versions of events to detectives, his testimony was only relied upon because the cell records and Vinson's testimony corroborated it. Without those, his testimony does not stand on its own. Thus, they could not have secured a conviction.
- One of the lead detectives on the case engaged in egregious misconduct in another case, resulting in a wrongful conviction and 17 years of incarceration.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i hear there was someone who confessed to the murder but he kept it adnanomous

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It'll be the PR move of the century when both of these alternate suspects are revealed to also be Adnan.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i mean once you get a podcast made about you in such a sympathetic tone, isn't it just better for humanity if we all agree you didn't do it? no of course i'm not privy to any of the documentation, none of the detail really but you made me feel like he was innocent. is he? isn't he? did it generate huge interest?

isn't that the point, sarah?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Some lady at my office used this podcast as elevator small talk and I was like “oh yeah I think I’ve heard something about that” and she gave me a list of other murder podcasts because people who listen to them are weirdos and I was like “hey that’s what I’m saying” to just end the conversation and got off on my floor

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Mental posted:

Some lady at my office used this podcast as elevator small talk and I was like “oh yeah I think I’ve heard something about that” and she gave me a list of other murder podcasts because people who listen to them are weirdos and I was like “hey that’s what I’m saying” to just end the conversation and got off on my floor

hey that's what i'm sayin, man

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Next time you talk to a murder podcast fan you can tell them you're just getting started in the genre. When they recommend stuff you can ask clarifying details about how well the host describes the victim's suffering and whether they have any ASMR content. Just really lean into it and I bet by the end they'll think YOU are the creep

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i mean i got into serial and thought huh, could use more like this

then i ended up listening to the first 3 minutes of many, many podcasts where some fuckhead dude put on his best foreboding presenter voice with some dogshit piano music underneath and said 'but is that all there was to it?'

podcasts are generally extremely bad.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Podcasts were made for people who want to be talked at (but aren't interesting to talk to)

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Mozi posted:

i hear there was someone who confessed to the murder but he kept it adnanomous

this post is perfect in every way

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Snyderman posted:

Someone mentioned it upthread but Sarah Koenig's whole "educated white person idealizes brown person struggle" reminds me of a really great long-form piece I read on here a few years back.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/love-story-upended-texas-prison-system

Tl;dr older white woman falls in love with Hispanic inmate's story, and their deep pen pal relationship leads to some very serious changes to the human rights abuse in Texas prisons (at least until Texas made things bad again I'm sure). He eventually gets freed after about 15-20 years and they get married for all of like 6 months which lol. I'm glad the condescending martyr complex of the white lady actually led to some positive changes but come on.

Whoa that’s interesting, Texas Monthly does excellent longform journalism. This article about what appeared to be an open and shut domestic murder has an unexpected twist especially as the husband really did have the worst luck in the world to have left written evidence of being mad at his wife before a random guy killed her

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/the-innocent-man-part-one/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

satanic splash-back posted:

Podcasts were made for people who want to be talked at (but aren't interesting to talk to)

Every generation has this guy. For mine it was "oh no I haven't seen that show I don't own a television, you see."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nah like 99.9998% of podcasts are poo poo from a butt that no one rightfully listens to, gotta keep it a buck with ya

I have friends who do superhero podcasts and spent all the money for the Rode mics and poo poo and they get like 6 or 7 listens for each one they post lmao

Their patreon stats are equally as impressive:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Every generation has this guy. For mine it was "oh no I haven't seen that show I don't own a television, you see."

I enjoy podcasts but don't pretend they're made for socially well-adjusted individuals.

They're for the same audience as radio talk shows, but for varying political and sociological affiliations.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I have literally never heard of the *government* just suddenly up and saying “Uhhh we should provably just release this guy we successfully convicted of murder, we can’t really tell you why.”

Someone hosed up real bad here — probably a lot of someones.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In the Dark season 1 holds up much better and is actual journalism.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I heard an ad for a podcast where a dude was talking about his dead sister in law and honestly the exploitation of a family tragedy where he talked in the ad like it was a horror story over lurid music made me kinda want to puke.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

satanic splash-back posted:

I enjoy podcasts but don't pretend they're made for socially well-adjusted individuals.

They're for the same audience as radio talk shows, but for varying political and sociological affiliations.

So anyone with a commute or who travels or whatever is not socially well-adjusted. Totally cool brain stuff we’re posting tonight.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you know what held up? moral orel

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

True. Seems unrelated

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So anyone with a commute or who travels or whatever is not socially well-adjusted. Totally cool brain stuff we’re posting tonight.

I listen to podcasts and I have autism.

It could happen to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
The best podcasts are the radio 4 lovecraft podcasts