Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
This game is really fun.

Works great on steam deck, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I pretty much only ever get kills extremely incidentally, like a goalie not moving out of the way of my Era special or somebody getting squeezed by my Asher special when I was really just trying to gently caress up their shot. For those of you who make KOs part of your strategy, just like...what's that like? I'm thinking about controlling space and opening opportunities, either when as goalie I try and keep the core away from where the opponent has space, or when I'm forward on being places the opponents aren't and interfering with the goalies ability to stop my from shooting. When you're actually getting kills do you feel like you need to be coordinating with your other forward, are you accepting loss of possession time to justify trying to get kills, what is like the sign that you're getting good opportunities for KOs as opposed to "gently caress it I'm just going to push goal."

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Finally got around to trying this and been having a good time. Playing alot of Era in midfield being a general menace.

Broken Cog posted:

Man, so many people are banning Juno, I don't get it.
At least it lets me get in some Aimi goalie experience.

I feel she just has more consistent reach compared to ranged options since the blobs linger around.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
"Micropatch" notes, delivered via anime girl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkPwZXFh144

quote:

MAPS AND MODES
Night Market
Night Market is a bit tame in comparison to the explosions and firepower of our other maps. We're turning up the speed a bit!
Speed Zone recharge time :: 5s → 4s

STRIKERS
Atlas
Atlas can use Astral Projection to win trades with frequency. This is a minor touch - he'll still be winning trades with said frequency, but he'll be paying a slightly higher cost for it.
Astral Projection [PRIMARY]
Cooldown :: 7.5s → 8s

Asher
Asher's special is quite good at stun-locking and creating forward pressure, given how easy it is for her to hit it. We're reducing its effective range and stun power to keep her more in line with other Strikers.
Pathcarver [SPECIAL]
Base Creation Duration :: Reduced from 2.25 → 1.9s
Minimum hit stun duration :: Reduced from 0.3s → 0.05s

Drek'ar
Fixing a Drek'ar bug that made his Molten Bolt last longer than intended, especially when he'd selected Cast to Last.
Molten Bolt [SPECIAL]
[BUGFIX] No longer gains CREATION benefits for the ability

Dubu
Our favorite hampter sure is a stalwart defender. Honestly though, sometimes he also wants to slam. We're giving him some more opportunities and payoff for belly flopping on his enemies. (Just like he did in the Trigger trailer!!!! He did the thing!)
Somerassault [SECONDARY]
Cooldown 20s → 18s
Damage and PvP Knockback :: 200 (+100% Power) → 210 (+105% Power)

Era
Magic Maelstrom (Era's SPECIAL) was blocking off large sections of the map too frequently and effectively. We're increasing its cooldown to make it more punishing when she has a poor cast.
Magic Maelstrom [SPECIAL]
Cooldown :: Increased from 15s → 20s

Luna
Luna's W.H.A.M.M.Y (that's her missile) is a little too punishing to miss, given its short-ish base range and acceleration time to get a stronger hit. We're going to give Luna a bit more opportunity to fish for good hits by reducing its cooldown. And more chances for you to launch a random missile across the map for a free goal.
W.H.A.M.M.Y [PRIMARY]
Cooldown :: Reduced from 7s → 6.5s

Kai
Kai can deny too many opportunities, so we're knocking down his rapid firing barrage's rapidness and its range a bit.
Barrage [PRIMARY]
Cooldown :: 10s → 11s
Range :: 775 → 650

Rune
Rune's combinations aren't as lethal as we'd like. While he has a lot of tricks in his bag, his KO bread and butter Banish into Unstable Anomaly should be confirming knockouts on players close to the edge of the arena.
Unstable Anomaly [PRIMARY]
Fully formed PvP Knockback :: 220 (+110% Power) → 250 (+125% Power)
PvP Damage and Core Knockback unchanged
Unformed damage unchanged
Also applies to the Unstable Anomaly left by Shadow Walk [SECONDARY]

Rasmus
We're giving Rasmus a bit more mobility and agency over when he can utilize his Whiplash. This should mean he can do more than just Death Touch unsuspecting victims.
Whiplash [SECONDARY]
Duration :: 2s → 2.25s

GEAR
Goalie Gear seems to be a toss up between Strike Shot and Eject Button. We're giving the other options a bit of love to make them do what they do... except better.
Momentum Boots
Move Speed per Stack :: 1.5% → 1.75%
Max Speed :: 20% → 22.5%

Pauldrons
Power :: 15 → 20

AWAKENINGS
Extra Special
Special cooldown reduction :: 35% → 40%

Monumentalist
Creations hit bonus :: 20% → 15%

Surprised how many balance changes there are for a "micro" patch. I guess "regular" patches are reserved for new content or major mechanical reworks?

Tulip posted:

So I pretty much only ever get kills extremely incidentally, like a goalie not moving out of the way of my Era special or somebody getting squeezed by my Asher special when I was really just trying to gently caress up their shot. For those of you who make KOs part of your strategy, just like...what's that like? I'm thinking about controlling space and opening opportunities, either when as goalie I try and keep the core away from where the opponent has space, or when I'm forward on being places the opponents aren't and interfering with the goalies ability to stop my from shooting. When you're actually getting kills do you feel like you need to be coordinating with your other forward, are you accepting loss of possession time to justify trying to get kills, what is like the sign that you're getting good opportunities for KOs as opposed to "gently caress it I'm just going to push goal."

Varies depending on the striker of course, and some are more suited to it than others. When I'm feeling like murdering fools I usually go with Juliette, since she can burst people down FAST with a full combo. Asher forward is another good option, and I see X and Dreikar players playing similarly. When it comes to playstyle, it's more about looking for opportunities and applying pressure - if you can't actively help hit the puck at the moment and don't think you'll immediately need one of your skills to save/score, then may as well use them to soften up some enemy targets. Better if you can hit the puck in the process. One of the enemy forwards being problematic? Start bullying them! If anyone's low on health (or full-on staggered) then they can't risk going anywhere near the edges of the arena if you're nearby, so you can use that to force openings to score through - either they leave the top open and you can push forward, or they move up to close the gap and then you knock em out.

If nothing else, you can mostly play as though you aren't going for kills, but then when you notice someone low / staggered you can opportunistically take a quick moment to try and secure a kill if they wander near an edge and you're close by.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also very important: you don't need people to be staggered / low hp to be able to KO them.
If people position badly and stand too close to walls you can knock them out of the arena even from full hp, especially on mobile characters like Julia or Drekar.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Or with nice projectiles, like from Era, Juliette, Estelle, Ai.Mi, Luna, Juno...

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There is a bit more coordination to KOs now. I play Kai, and I queue as Goalie, and I can still do the same instakills when opponents go near the edges (though I now rely a bit on the new random talent system giving me the range "cards" to do the really sick ones).

But for kills on people closer to the middle, I now need someone else on my team to follow up. But it's great, it's really fun, I land a combo on someone and then our Juliette taps them with a right click and they fly to the edge and die. Makes it even more satisfying when it works, and also makes it more balanced.

They may have gone too far though on the brawler vs goalie aspect, as I now feel basically invincible from the brawlers trying to KO me, brawlers may have been nerfed too much, since I assume that's not what they intended.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Boo, I don't mind them nerfing Era's special but I'd much rather they make it smaller than change the cooldown, it was a nice rhythm and now i'm gonna be all hosed up.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also very important: you don't need people to be staggered / low hp to be able to KO them.
If people position badly and stand too close to walls you can knock them out of the arena even from full hp, especially on mobile characters like Julia or Drekar.

Oh yeah I do get kills occassionally but its basically always by people getting too close to walls with high HP and I get some decent high knockback ability on them.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I'm sure goalies will still die to Era special since it seems to be invisible to all of mine lol. Also I've been playing competitive and I'm on a hot streak, unfortunately the last two games one of my enemies disconnected which made it feel kind of hollow. Hopefully they'll get the tech to at least put in a bot when someone quits.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

God this game owns. A meme in my friend circle is that Overwatch achieves the incredible feat of 'winning feels like nothing and losing feels awful,' but Omega feels almost the opposite, where losing often feels really hardfought and worthwhile, while winning feels like a real achievement. Sometimes you have stomps or really frustrating matches like laggy ones, but they're really the exception instead of the rule.

I'm also really coming around to enjoying normal/ranked format. I like the midgame drafting, it feels neat. Somebody let me stack sparks, 26% cooldown reduction is PRETTY GOOD.

Kooriken posted:

I'm sure goalies will still die to Era special since it seems to be invisible to all of mine lol. Also I've been playing competitive and I'm on a hot streak, unfortunately the last two games one of my enemies disconnected which made it feel kind of hollow. Hopefully they'll get the tech to at least put in a bot when someone quits.

Had a game tonight where somebody disappeared for one round and then was back the next, so it looks like they have some ability to reconnect people.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There is a bit more coordination to KOs now. I play Kai, and I queue as Goalie, and I can still do the same instakills when opponents go near the edges (though I now rely a bit on the new random talent system giving me the range "cards" to do the really sick ones).

But for kills on people closer to the middle, I now need someone else on my team to follow up. But it's great, it's really fun, I land a combo on someone and then our Juliette taps them with a right click and they fly to the edge and die. Makes it even more satisfying when it works, and also makes it more balanced.

They may have gone too far though on the brawler vs goalie aspect, as I now feel basically invincible from the brawlers trying to KO me, brawlers may have been nerfed too much, since I assume that's not what they intended.

Amusingly tonight my team got KO'd at a higher rate than in any other point in my OS time. I was goalie all night and I was usually fine (I tend to play Asher and play toward the edge of the goal so its pretty tough to kill me, but one opposing asher did it!), but my two forwards were eating poo poo a LOT. We still won most of those matches because most teams we were against were not good at actually exploiting power plays, they'd just bum rush me in the goal instead of trying to pass around me, but also I'm bad and being matched against bad people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've seen a push for Drekar goalie ever since the game relaunched, what makes him so good at the role?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Countblanc posted:

I've seen a push for Drekar goalie ever since the game relaunched, what makes him so good at the role?

You can win core trades with the gun, and the stealth/speedboost lets him move around quickly. That's pretty much it, kind of the same reason why Kai is considered top tier.
You can also be really annoying with his ult if you get some +debuff duration, but it's not the main reason.

Edit: Also, his shotgun has really low cooldown, two charges, and if you get the Heavy Impact awakening, you can have it up almost constantly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 4, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is there anybody whose just bad at either role overall? I don't like playing Era goalie but I see other people do it well. X, Juliette, and Zentaro seem like dubious goalie choices but I also don't like playing them as forwards *anyway*.

I like the recent patch pushing for Dubu forward, its cool. I've often had trouble with Dubu forwards but its possible that the only people who even try that are already good with Dubu.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Atlas forward is probably the worst character/role combination in the game.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

It definitely was but I'm not sure it is now. If you pick up speed from somewhere he wins trades really well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

curiousCat posted:

It definitely was but I'm not sure it is now. If you pick up speed from somewhere he wins trades really well.

Idunno, I've seen a couple of people try, but it's never worked well. He's just so slow and bulky, and his ult offers very little for forward pressure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

X isn't a good goalie but he's not completely useless at it, his ult makes him even bigger than Dubu and he can murder people if they try to force a goal by getting in his face. He's pretty vanilla but if you're good at actually hitting the ball at a good angle he can function.

The worst goalie is probably Juno, you'd think she could do stuff with her slimes but she's so slow that the ball usually just slides in.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah that's my thought as well. I've done it OK a few times but it was never better than similar stuff as Dubu or even Rune.

Endorph posted:

X isn't a good goalie but he's not completely useless at it, his ult makes him even bigger than Dubu and he can murder people if they try to force a goal by getting in his face. He's pretty vanilla but if you're good at actually hitting the ball at a good angle he can function.

The worst goalie is probably Juno, you'd think she could do stuff with her slimes but she's so slow that the ball usually just slides in.

Huh, I goalie as Juno sometimes and I thought she was exceptionally good if anything. Being able to control space well into the midfield from the goal is great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

picked this up last night and it seems fun but boy it'd be nice if it had a practice area so i don't have to button-mash and whiff everything the first few games after buying a striker

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

picked this up last night and it seems fun but boy it'd be nice if it had a practice area so i don't have to button-mash and whiff everything the first few games after buying a striker

There are bot games at least, but yea

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

curiousCat posted:

There are bot games at least, but yea

I'm not sure you can even do them solo, it still does matchmaking - which I assume will take fuckin forever u less you have a full trio.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm not sure you can even do them solo, it still does matchmaking - which I assume will take fuckin forever u less you have a full trio.

I've had longest matchmaking for regular mode so far. Bot and quick have been very fast, comp has been a little slower but not too bad. Admittedly the game is still very new so maybe it'll get worse soon.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Tulip posted:

Is there anybody whose just bad at either role overall? I don't like playing Era goalie but I see other people do it well. X, Juliette, and Zentaro seem like dubious goalie choices but I also don't like playing them as forwards *anyway*.

I like the recent patch pushing for Dubu forward, its cool. I've often had trouble with Dubu forwards but its possible that the only people who even try that are already good with Dubu.

I'd say theres three roles, goalie/mid/forward, G/M/F. Goalie does the obvious thing, mid for controlling passes with speed/ranged, forward for aggro strikes.

X is a bastard since hes one of the most viable goalie killers, definitely good on forward. Juliette is great on forward since she can combo and out pressure a basic strike defense. Haven't messed with Zentaro but seeing him freeze a defensive reflect infront of the goal messes with your timing to knock it away.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1654175195341389845

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tulip posted:

Huh, I goalie as Juno sometimes and I thought she was exceptionally good if anything. Being able to control space well into the midfield from the goal is great.

Yeah, I've ran Juno goalie to mid gold so far with a 60%+ winrate, she's definitely not bad. One big thing I think people overlook about her is just how much damage she dishes out.
Seriously, if you pick up some ranged/construct damage or the Stinger awakening, you can easily get most damage done in the match with a solid margin as goalie. It's just mostly overlooked because Juno herself doesn't really have that good KO potential. If you play with someone that does, however....

Edit: Also, hot tip for Aimi: Projectile travel/cast range actually affects the turret as well, so if you pick up one awakening with that, it can shoot across the entire arena.

Edit2: Anyone know just how much 600 range is for the deadeye awakening?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 5, 2023

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Edit2: Anyone know just how much 600 range is for the deadeye awakening?

I've heard "about half the field" but don't have confirmation

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kai's primary is 650 range at base, so slightly shorter than that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kai's primary is 650 range at base, so slightly shorter than that.

Where'd you find this btw? I swear it used to be in the tooltips and wiki but it doesn't look like it is anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tulip posted:

Where'd you find this btw? I swear it used to be in the tooltips and wiki but it doesn't look like it is anymore.

Was in the patch notes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
drat, mid and high gold is when things start to really get sweaty.

And people are STILL banning Juno

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really hope these streamer emotes are going to be removed at some point. They're easily the worst part of this game, particularly the ones of their actual faces.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really hope these streamer emotes are going to be removed at some point. They're easily the worst part of this game, particularly the ones of their actual faces.

so many of them are super ugly and really clash with the art style (and yeah some are just a human face). like there's that weird one that looks like a sneering gray weasel or something and i assume it's a streamer thing and it looks like poo poo

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Won a 2v3 where I was a Juno goalie and a friend was X. That certainly was an experience. slime stronk

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think i need to watch some of my replays of games with Juno in them to learn the slime shot priorities better. i know they like shooting toward the goal (obviously) but they also pass to each other and maybe do other stuff i'm unaware of. as it is now sometimes i find myself getting confused by even my own team's Juno's slimes

also god i just had a game where the only emotes the other team used were the streamer ones and they're just so, so ugly. pls..

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
that tricky stuff isn't some super advanced slime AI, it's the terrifying power of the human mind :science:
juno can aim them by hitting her leftclick at the same time the slime shoots
as far as I can tell, the game literally doesn't say this anywhere

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think they preferentially pass to other slimes if Juno isn't controlling them, and the last slime in the chain will take the goal shot.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

as far as I can tell, the game literally doesn't say this anywhere

It's in the description of Juno's strike ability, she has an exclusive passive for it. Why they put that there instead of on the slime ability I dunno.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

technically her strike actually has a different name from everyone else's strike

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
interesting. does using a Slime's Strike put hers on cooldown?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

asher's strike says something about her shields too but i'll be damned if i've noticed any different behavior at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

asher's strike says something about her shields too but i'll be damned if i've noticed any different behavior at all

I'm convinced this is a remnant of some previous version of her that never got changed. I assumed at first that her skills would "use" her shields and you'd need to strike to recharge them, but nope.