Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Quizzlefish posted:

Maguire was real bad on that first Iran goal. Good time to make up a vision problem

he's been doing the same poo poo all the time for United. Steps up toward the ball and it just gets easily played behind him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

felt like Iran set up all wrong for that tbh, they looked better when they actually came forward and gave up on playing andorraball

i mean, not good, but better

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/espnfc/status/1594724082410573825

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Pretty good from Grealish tbf

http://twitter.com/i/status/1594736478172725250

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Nice bloke isn't he

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Paperhouse posted:

he's been doing the same poo poo all the time for United. Steps up toward the ball and it just gets easily played behind him

It was criminal. He'd been pretty good all game to that point. But France or Brazil will run riot with that poo poo going on.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Well having watched half the US/Wales game feeling pretty good about getting out the group at least

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

There are more ways of playing than either gung ho ho Kevin Keegan style or boring poo poo Southgate 7 man defence+keeper ball.

It's not like it even works against top sides, he's got a 1 in 4 win rate against the top 15 teams

Genuinely astonishing. Seriously.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I am a little confused as to why the bbc are calling this england's perfect day when they gave up 2 goals to iran

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Probably because they scored 6

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Also the draw between US and Wales makes them clear favorites to top their group

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

ilmucche posted:

I am a little confused as to why the bbc are calling this england's perfect day when they gave up 2 goals to iran

Iran’s goal was pretty decent, defender probably should have followed the run, but, and I can’t make this much clearer, England scored six. And Iran’s consolation was not a penalty.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also Wales looked awful in the first half and the US defense couldn't even really cope with a geriatric Bale, let alone Saka and co

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

britishbornandbread posted:

Iran’s goal was pretty decent, defender probably should have followed the run, but, and I can’t make this much clearer, England scored six. And Iran’s consolation was not a penalty.

The pen was bullshit but the other goal was literally harold-maguire.mp4 he's just too easy to beat with a through ball against a runner and has been for over a year now.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
all in all i was dreading another england algeria

but i got another england panama

so it all worked out in the end

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

britishbornandbread posted:

That's fair, I was worried about what the 2 goals say about the defense, but as you say if you're banging in 6 then it doesn't matter.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The first was conceded when they were 4-0 up and coasting, and that tends to happen a lot in games when a team is dominating, see Brazil's one goal when they got obliterated by Germany at half time.

Southgate clearly wasn't happy at the end that the concentration dipped but its sort of inevitable and it's probably not worth getting overly concerned about.

Second goal was just a very soft penalty in a situation where Iran were not threatening at all, poo poo happens.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Did Maguire's head knock happen before or after the goal? I know he went off just after they scored, but it wasn't clear whether the impact he was dealing with happened during the buildup or not.

I realise brain issues and Maguire kind of go hand in hand but that could definitely be a factor as well

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Was not overly excited about this tournament but I just woke up and my first thought was that it’s definitely coming home.

Loved Kanes cross for sterling, Bellinghams all round performance, substitutes coming on at full throttle and Southgate pretending not to be satisfied.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Oibignose posted:

substitutes coming on at full throttle

the five subs thing has just made it like a line change in hockey, take sterling saka and kane off and have foden grealish and rashford running at you like maniacs for the last half hour

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
It's absurd to have that talent coming off the bench. Each of them starter calibre for almost any national team.

And all so quick and aggressive

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Worth noting England scored 6 from something like 7 shots on target and some were pretty low percentage chances. Iran were uncharacteristically porous

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Could reframe it if you like that we were unusually clinical in front of goal.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Some of this guy's usual bread and butter on youtube is tactical previews for upcoming Man United matches and they're usually pretty good (he's a coach of a team himself in the lower leagues).

His England v USA preview is pretty good including "Lebron James of soccer" mention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdG-O97c34
There's an in video ad from 3:17 to 4:40.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Maguire getting his egg scrambled is the best thing that could have ever happened to you fucks lol, this is going to be a bloodbath

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Maguire getting his egg scrambled is the best thing that could have ever happened to you fucks lol, this is going to be a bloodbath

I dunno, Dier is a a loving trashman as well

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
USA could not handle Wales (Wales) once they actually had a go, so I think we're gonna be ok

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZ2sIeEhrg

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Same starting line up. Go hard and win this tournament.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Posting from sunny SoCal where Fox is gassing up the US team - which, fair play, they’re good kids - to say: come on Ingerlund

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
englandshited

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Southgateball is miserable!!!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It's coming home (the England plane)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

track day bro! posted:

englandshited

de curry GOAT posted:

Southgateball is miserable!!!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
poo poo game stupid little tournament gently caress off

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Well that was poo.

USA good value for the draw like, they defended well

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Meh. Going through unless we lose 4-0 to Wales, fine really.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I can't believe how big a fraud Southgate is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Imagine being out-thought by a bald Gregg