Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Red Dusk

Twin “Apocalypse Quartets” from behind the Iron Curtain.

Konstantin Lopushansky:
Dead Man’s Letters (1986)
Russian Symphony (1994)
The Ugly Swans (2006)
A Visitor to a Museum (1989)

Piotr Szulkin:
Ga-ga: Glory to the Heroes (1986)
Golem (1980)
O-Bi, O-Ba: The End of Civilization (1985)
The War of the Worlds: Next Century (1981)

I want to use my bye on this team. Hopefully people want to see classic films from the Thirties and Forties and will vote for my other two teams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

If it draws its worst film last then I might start believing in space turtles

I mean it drew Dreamcatcher first time out so its due.

Servoret posted:

I want to use my bye on this team. Hopefully people want to see classic films from the Thirties and Forties and will vote for my other two teams!

Noted.

married but discreet
Franchescanado
Basebf555
Samfucius
twernt
Scumfuck Princess
MacheteZombie
Kangra
Servoret:
Red Dusk (Konstantin Lopushansky and Piotr Szulkin)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 4, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nominating Team Desperation Boils Over
1. Excision (2012; dir. Richard Bates, Jr.)
2. Suburban Gothic (2014; dir. Richard Bates, Jr.)
3. Trash Fire (2016; dir. Richard Bates, Jr.)
4. Tone-Deaf (2019; dir. Richard Bates, Jr.)
5. Vulgar (2000; dir. Bryan Johnson)
6. Love Object (2003; dir. Robert Parigi)

As the name suggests, the theme of this group is mainly people trying to get through their lives until something pushes them over into a situation that prompts unusual responses.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Darthemed posted:

And renominating Team Tomie (And Pals)
1. Tomie vs. Tomie (2007; dir. Tomohiro Kubo)
2. Tomie: Forbidden Fruit (2002; dir. Shun Nakahara)
3. Tomie: Replay (2000; dir. Fujiro Mitsuishi)
4. Tomie: Another Face (1999; dir. Toshiro Inomata)
5. Tomie (1999; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
6. Tomie: Beginning (2005; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
7. Tomie: Revenge (2005; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
8. Apartment 1303 (2007; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
9. Shrill Cries of Summer (2008; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
10. Tokyo Psycho (2004; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
11. Shrill Cries: Reshuffle (2009; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
12. The Groaning Drain (2004; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
13. 9+1 (2008; dir. Ataru Oikawa)
Adding in a film that someone added the horror genre tag to on TMDB since I made this team last year.
14. Shojyo Senso (2011; dir. Ataru Oikawa)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

I mean it drew Dreamcatcher first time out so its due.

I would choose to watch 50% of the films on that team so it's definitely getting better

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh speaking of I think I’m just gonna dump the sex pest Bryan Singer and his movie Apt Pupil that has a little too much of the wrong kind of ick surrounding it.

Probably should have thought of that a few hours ago when I could have replaced it. Ah well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I propose a motion for Goat to be able to put in a replacement for Bryan Singer on his King team. Anyone opposed?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I suggest Creature of the Mist as a replacement and that is definitely not because I want to sabotage Goat's team...

https://letterboxd.com/film/fog-monster-from-changan/crew/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s a stray King film out there but I’m not gonna waste another pick on it. Should have just planned better. What can you do? Hopefully it will be around when the draft ends.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Dumping Bryan Singer should definitely be a freebie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You can dump anyone you like any time you like during the nomination process.

It’s a bit of a relative idea since after the draft we have the “free for all” period where you’d be free to do that. So I could just wait until then to drop Singer. But allowing everyone to do it now is both easier since no one has to hold onto notes or something and if someone wanted to pick up the drop they could.

Probably no one wants Singer. But who knows? And not every drop will be a pedophile.

I’m kind of embarrassed he was on the team at all. Having to wait to replace him feels like fair contrition.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I will nominate my next team, based around fetish/transgression Horror. Sometimes that just means a sex concept that was considered wild for the time, not full on whips and leather. I really wanted Cronenberg and Friedkin in here, but alas they have too many eligible films and even worse too many that don't fit the theme.

TaBOO!

Clive Barker
Hellraiser

Carlos Atanes
Maximum Shame

J-P Valkeapää
Dogs Dont Wear Pants

Harry Kümel
Daughters of Darkness
Malpertuis

Jörg Buttgereit
Nekromantic
Nekromantic 2
The Death King
Bug
Schramm

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

There’s a stray King film out there but I’m not gonna waste another pick on it. Should have just planned better. What can you do? Hopefully it will be around when the draft ends.

That's fair. We're being magnanimous about it but there might be someone out there planning a team with that director who would be screwed over by this and if not then like you say, snag 'em in a week

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Samfucius posted:

I will nominate my next team, based around fetish/transgression Horror. Sometimes that just means a sex concept that was considered wild for the time, not full on whips and leather. I really wanted Cronenberg and Friedkin in here, but alas they have too many eligible films and even worse too many that don't fit the theme.

TaBOO!

Probably a better construction than the Barker/Coppola kink team I’m was working one last year.

Tarnop posted:

That's fair. We're being magnanimous about it but there might be someone out there planning a team with that director who would be screwed over by this and if not then like you say, snag 'em in a week

Yeah. Like I appreciate the sentiment But the rules are just there to keep things fair. And as you said if someone was planning on using that director then it’s not fair to them. I had my chance. I could use another pick if I want. If I don’t I risk losing it. That’s a draft.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 4, 2022

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Here's my Day 2 pick.

Retrofantasma

Willard Huyck & Gloria Katz - Messiah of Evil (1973)
Giulio Paradisi - The Visitor (1979)
Thom Eberhardt - Night of the Comet (1984); Sole Survivor (1984); Naked Fear (2007)
Richard Attenborough - Magic (1978)
John Irvin - Ghost Story (1981)

This combination probably comes across as a grab bag, but there's a reason for that. For the past 20+ years, one of my local theaters has done a monthly horror double feature that's expanded into a couple of horror film festivals a year. They developed a cool little community, and several other horror-focused screenings have popped up over the years that cater to the same crowd. This horror scene introduced me to a ton of cool poo poo, and it helped me keep digging into older horror after all the video stores around here closed down (and before horror-centric streaming services existed). So every director on this list made a movie I saw for the first time on the big screen, with a kickass crowd, at one of those film screenings.

I tried to limit my picks to the 70s & early 80s and stick with things that have a weird, fun vibe that should play well to a crowd. This was harder than I expected given all the movies that were already off-limits or the number of directors who followed up a couple of great movies with an unfortunate mid-00s run of SyFy Originals. But I'm pretty happy with this list.

Moomin Dreams
Nov 28, 2022

Ok, this is my day 1 nomination. Thanks for the help!

The Ring Cycle

Gore Verbinski
The Ring
A Cure for Wellness

Eric Valette
One Missed Call
Malefique
Super Hybrid

Walter Salle
Dark Water

Jim Sonzero
Pulse

David Moreau/Xavier Palud
The Eye
Them

Charles and Thomas Guard
The Uninvited

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Since Charles Band and Albert Pyun have already been nominated I wanted to put together a team of directors who made some Empire International Pictures classics but don’t have enough horror films to be nominated individually.

I present the Empire Pictures All Stars (Albert Band, Luca Bercovici, Tim Kinkaid, Peter Manoogian, George Pavlou)

Albert Band
I Bury the Living
Dracula’s Dog
Ghoulies II
Doctor Mordrid

Luca Bercovici
Ghoulies
Rockula
Dark Tide
The Granny

Tim Kinkaid
Robot Holocaust
Breeders
The Occultist

Peter Manoogian
Arena
Demonic Toys
Seedpeople
DevilDolls

George Pavlou
Underworld
Rawhead Rex
Little Devils: The Birth

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 5, 2022

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I did miss the thread so thanks for the note, Goat!

Renoming a previous team but with Oz's 'sister' movie out I'm giving it a new name (formerly Sister Act 2 : Backing the Habit).

Sibling Act (Oz Perkins, Kim Jee-woon, John Fawcett)

Oz Perkins
Gretel & Hansel
I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House

Kim Jee-woon
I Saw the Devil
A Tale of Two Sisters

John Fawcett
The Dark
Ginger Snaps

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

deety posted:

Here's my Day 2 pick.

Retrofantasma

This combination probably comes across as a grab bag, but there's a reason for that. For the past 20+ years, one of my local theaters has done a monthly horror double feature that's expanded into a couple of horror film festivals a year. They developed a cool little community, and several other horror-focused screenings have popped up over the years that cater to the same crowd. This horror scene introduced me to a ton of cool poo poo, and it helped me keep digging into older horror after all the video stores around here closed down (and before horror-centric streaming services existed). So every director on this list made a movie I saw for the first time on the big screen, with a kickass crowd, at one of those film screenings.

Oh I feel this to such a degree. I wanted to do basically the same thing for my home town!

We had a cool local theater. They were a very artsy place, and for basically the entire year they ran underground documentaries, limited release foreign stuff, classics, and other stuff you'd associate with a place managed by older upper-middle-class former hippies. Every October they'd run their big annual film festival, and it would be more of the same but higher budget. However, it ended with All Freakin' Night, a midnight to 10am horror marathon. The tickets were absurdly cheap, you could bring any snacks and drinks you wanted that fit into a backpack, and between movies they had competitions and prizes. It was absolute heaven for a teenager who loved horror movies, and it was responsible for showing me everything from Society (with a director Q&A!), a local eccentric's backyard "monstah movies!!!!" and the brand-new Tokyo Gore Police. Absolutely formative stuff. That feeling of walking into something I'd never heard of and loving the hell out of it was exactly why I joined this thread last year!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have a team in mind that is of a similar but different vibe. Gonna be a late round draft pick though. So we’ll see if it stays together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

Since Charles Band and Albert Pyun have already been nominated I wanted to put together a team of directors who made some Empire International Pictures classics but don’t have enough horror films to be nominated individually.

I present the Empire Pictures All Stars (Albert Band, Luca Bercovici, Tim Kinkaid, Peter Manoogian, George Pavlou)

Albert Band
I Bury the Living
Dracula’s Dog
Ghoulies II
Doctor Mordrid

Luca Bercovici
Ghoulies
Rockula
Dark Tide
The Granny

Tim Kinkaid
Robot Holocaust
Breeders
The Occultist

Peter Manoogian
Arena
Demonic Toys
Seedpeople
DevilDolls

George Pavlou
Underworld
Rawhead Rex

You're a bit over the "soft cap" of 10 here. Normally I turn the other way unless someone objects but you're at 18 and hit 10 before two directors come up. And its not nothing movies and directors so I think you gotta trim this one down a bit.

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Samfucius posted:

TaBOO!

Clive Barker
Hellraiser

Carlos Atanes
Maximum Shame

J-P Valkeapää
Dogs Dont Wear Pants

Harry Kümel
Daughters of Darkness
Malpertuis

Jörg Buttgereit
Nekromantic
Nekromantic 2
The Death King
Bug
Schramm

This team gets my bye, by, buy? My pick, whatever that council thing is called

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My nomination for today:

Team Weird And A Bit Gross:

Can Evernol – Baskin, Housewife, The Girl With No Mouth

Panos Cosmatos – Mandy, Beyond the Black Rainbow

William Lustig – Maniac, Maniac Cop, Uncle Sam, Relentless

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Scumfuck Princess posted:

Aw, shucks. :cheers:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I had a great concept all worked out for my next pick. Tales of emotional manipulation, controlled realities, all that kind of hosed up stuff that I love. And then Patrick Brice released an aggressively mediocre Netflix teen slasher. SIGH.

So here it is, complete with its very own ugly appendix:

Paradise By The Gaslight

Yorgos Lanthimos, Patrick Brice, Jeff Nichols and Todd Haynes

Dogtooth (2009)
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
Creep (2014)
Creep 2 (2017)
Take Shelter (2011)
Safe (1995)
There’s Someone Inside Your House (2021)

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 5, 2022

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Nifty Fifties

(Gene Fowler Jr., Mervyn LeRoy, Christian Nyby, John Parker, Don Siegel, Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr.)

4D Man (1959)
The Bad Seed (1956)
The Blob (1958)
Dementia (1955)
I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)
I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1959)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Thing from Another World (1951)

Servoret fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 6, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That'll teach me to hesitate on nominating a team with Lustig in it. =p

Instead, here's Team Cute Surprises, a team of relatively gentle horror comedies that I think are mostly unfamiliar to the horror thread regulars.

1. Once Bitten (1985; dir. Howard Storm)
2. Saturday the 14th (1981; dir. Howard R. Cohen)
3. Saturday the 14th Strikes Back (1988; dir. Howard R. Cohen)
4. Ed and His Dead Mother (1993; dir. Jonathan Wacks)
5. The Peanut Butter Solution (1985; dir. Michael Rubbo)
6. Eat and Run (1987; dir. Christopher Hart)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 5, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm going to use my auto in for Koji

I have no idea how we're gunna get some of his movies tho lol

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Some Silly Stuff

Mark Goldblatt - Dead Heat (1988)
Stephen Chiodo - Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
Juan Piquer Simón - Pieces (1982); Slugs (1988); Cthulhu Mansion (1992)
John Landis - Schlock (1973); An American Werewolf in London (1981); Innocent Blood (1992); Burke & Hare (2010)
Fred Dekker - Night of the Creeps (1986); The Monster Squad (1987)

This puts me at 11 movies because stupid John Landis has a non-comedy movie left, so if that's a problem (or if I missed enough movies to make the team too big), I can drop somebody. I included all the movies from Simón that were unquestionably horror and left out the stuff that leaned more heavily towards adventure or sci-fi. For example, The Rift (1990) has some water monsters in it but it's also a submarine drama action disaster film and the monster stuff was a fairly small chunk of the runtime. So if I need to include that & Simón's other kitchen-sink genre films, I'd rather just drop him even if that deprives us of the glory that is Slugs.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Servoret posted:

Nifty Fifties

(Henri-Georges Clouzot, Gene Fowler Jr., Mervyn LeRoy, Christian Nyby, John Parker, Don Siegel, Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr.)

4D Man (1959)
The Bad Seed (1956)
The Blob (1958)
Dementia (1955)
Diabolique (1955)

Clouzot is on my team, Predation's Dead, I'm afraid

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

You're a bit over the "soft cap" of 10 here. Normally I turn the other way unless someone objects but you're at 18 and hit 10 before two directors come up. And its not nothing movies and directors so I think you gotta trim this one down a bit.

Like choosing my favorite children....

But alas, I will remove Peter Manoogian. His only EIP film is Arena, which rules, but is very sci-fi heavy. He can be saved for a Full Moon Features All Star team when I’m ready to torture everyone with that....

I can also cut Tim Kincaid.

Albert Band
I Bury the Living
Dracula’s Dog
Ghoulies II
Doctor Mordrid

Luca Bercovici
Ghoulies
Rockula
Dark Tide
The Granny

George Pavlou
Underworld
Rawhead Rex

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 5, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I will be rechristening GdT’s team once more as Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities. And in keeping with that change I will be adding David Prior to the team! I’m very excited for that. I was also debating dropping Bayone and adding Panos Cosmatos. With him off the board I’m now a little scared and bumping this because I really do want Prior on this team. I’m still tempted to drop Bayone because I just rewatched Fallen Kingdom last night and I’m not as weirdly high on it as I was last time as a low key gothic horror gem under a subpar dinosaur movie. But no Panos takes away my easy replacement options and I do like The Orphanage. So ah well. Why pick now to try and win?

Also I recently rewatched Pacific Rim and feel like its not all that horrory. But I flew that idea by some folks in discord and they said I’d be cherry picking if I removed it. So it still there unless the thread agrees with me that its not horror. So for now that takes the team to:

Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities (Guillermo del Toro, André Øvredal, Troy Nixey, JA Bayone, and David Prior)

1. Cronos
2. Hellboy II: The Golden Army
3. Crimson Peak
4. Pacific Rim
5. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
6. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
7. The Orphanage
8. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
9. The Empty Man
10. The Autopsy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

Like choosing my favorite children....
I'm sorry for being the jerk. Team looks good now.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pacific Rim is so directly on the borderline that I'm happy for it to be your call. I love the film, will happily take an opportunity to watch it but ultimately if the case for including it was based on how you felt about it at the time and those feelings have changed then the team can change too

e: if you need to feel like you earned it, I'd happily read a post about why you've changed your mind.

I tend to agree with removing it. There are moments of personal horror in it, and monsters, but structurally it's Top Gun.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 5, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Servoret posted:

Nifty Fifties

(Henri-Georges Clouzot, Gene Fowler Jr., Mervyn LeRoy, Christian Nyby, John Parker, Don Siegel, Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr.)

4D Man (1959)
The Bad Seed (1956)
The Blob (1958)
Dementia (1955)
Diabolique (1955)

As Tarnop said Clouzot is taken. Rest of the team looks good. And takes a huge chunk out of my theoretical Team Svengoolie.

deety posted:

Some Silly Stuff

Mark Goldblatt - Dead Heat (1988)
Stephen Chiodo - Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
Juan Piquer Simón - Pieces (1982); Slugs (1988); Cthulhu Mansion (1992)
John Landis - Schlock (1973); An American Werewolf in London (1981); Innocent Blood (1992); Burke & Hare (2010)
Fred Dekker - Night of the Creeps (1986); The Monster Squad (1987)

This puts me at 11 movies because stupid John Landis has a non-comedy movie left, so if that's a problem (or if I missed enough movies to make the team too big), I can drop somebody. I included all the movies from Simón that were unquestionably horror and left out the stuff that leaned more heavily towards adventure or sci-fi. For example, The Rift (1990) has some water monsters in it but it's also a submarine drama action disaster film and the monster stuff was a fairly small chunk of the runtime. So if I need to include that & Simón's other kitchen-sink genre films, I'd rather just drop him even if that deprives us of the glory that is Slugs.

"Soft cap" means you don't have to worry about naturally going over the limit. I dunno about Simon. The three other films listed for him as horror all seem pretty within our guidelines. One's got Peter Cushing and one basically sounds like its specifically a horror knockoff of ET. And The Rift sounds like an Abyss knockoff and that's been included. So unless the thread disagrees I think they gotta count. Although Letterboxd also lists Goldblatt's Punisher as horror and I think we can agree that's out of bounds. Sorry about Simon though.

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm going to use my auto in for Koji

I have no idea how we're gunna get some of his movies tho lol

Scumfuck Princess posted:

Noted!

married but discreet
Franchescanado
Basebf555
Samfucius
twernt
Scumfuck Princess: TaBOO! (Clive Barker, Carlos Atanes, J-P Valkeapää, Harry Kümel, and Jörg Buttgereit)
MacheteZombie: Kôji Shiraishi
Kangra
Servoret: Red Dusk (Konstantin Lopushansky and Piotr Szulkin)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

Pacific Rim is so directly on the borderline that I'm happy for it to be your call. I love the film, will happily take an opportunity to watch it but ultimately if the case for including it was based on how you felt about it at the time and those feelings have changed then the team can change too

e: if you need to feel like you earned it, I'd happily read a post about why you've changed your mind.

I tend to agree with removing it. There are moments of personal horror in it, and monsters, but structurally it's Top Gun.

Basically I included it originally because I thought "Its kaiju and we have kaiju like Godzilla in here so it counts." On a rewatch of it I realize the kaiju are kind of barely in it and its much more focused on the mechas and action/adventure stuff. And clearly heavily inspired more by anime than horror, I think. But it still feels borderline to me and removing it feels sketchier than never having included it in the first place. Especially since there's the angle of "it feels anime and I hate anime." All things being even I'd say I think its objectively not horror. But I acknowledge I'm not objective on it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I mean the rule with unclear genre stuff in the tournament is you make your case and see if anyone objects, right? I don't think that doesn't apply to you because you're running the thing, you should get the same opportunity to use or not use a movie that anyone else gets. There's no need to talk yourself out of it, just give it a day or two and see if anyone has a case to make for why it should stay in.

I'd rather you had the team you envision and can be proud of than nitpick about genre. I have Shin Godzilla in Predation and I can argue for it to stay if anyone disagrees. Just because that's also a Kaiju movie doesn't mean your case for dropping Pacific Rim is less valid. They're tonally different, the tonal difference between PR and 1957 Godzilla is even more stark. Like you say it's an action adventure movie mostly, the science bits that are more serious in Godzilla are Charlie Day skits in Pacific Rim. Kaiju is such a broad category that we don't have to include them by default

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Tamil Terrors
Karthik Subbaraj, Ashwin Saravanan, Selvaraghavan, and Vikram Kumar

Directed by Karthik Subbaraj
* Mercury aka மெர்குரி - 2018
* Pizza aka பீட்சா - 2012

Directed by Ashwin Saravanan
* Maya aka மாயா - 2015
* Game Over aka கேம் ஓவர் - 2019
* Connect aka கனெக்ட் - 2022

Directed by Selvaraghavan
* Nenjam Marappathillai aka நெஞ்சம் மறப்பதில்லை - 2021
* Naane Varuvean aka நானே வருவேன் -2022

Directed by Vikram Kumar
* Yavarum Nalam aka யாவரும் நலம் - 2009

This started as a larger Indian team, but some 2022 releases forced me to prune it down and I noticed many of the original films were in Tamil, so there we go.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I absolutely adore Pacific Rim but the only scene that I'd call horror is when the female lead is having the flashback to being a tiny child and running away from the Kaiju that she can't see. I'd love to watch it again but I'd never call it horror.

I included Godzilla vs. Kong on my Wingard/West team because of the Kaiju thing as well, but I don't really think that's horror either. If you remove Pacific rim I'd ask the thread if I could drop Godzilla vs. Kong as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See I’d say monsters fighting each other is horror to me. Kong vs Godzilla has all kinds of other stuff going on too but like Godzilla is a horror movie and Skull Island is a horror movie and this is the monsters of both movies so it’s horror right?

And by that l guess Pacific Rim is too? I dunno. I always say my basic rule is “if I have to ask the answer is yes”. If I gotta convince myself this much that PR is ok to bump then it probably isnt. Or at least I’m not comfortable doing it. So 🤷‍♂️