Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

On the other hand if Michigan is instrumental in pushing Stroud down to where the Lions can get him that's icing on the cake.

I hope they take him, it would make the Lions an actual contender in my opinion. Read up on their fans though and they want to use the pick on defense. SMH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Ohio state qb with 2 losses against the wolverines in Michigan

Oh. I guess.

I still root for my college team's players in the NFL, but don't really care about my college rival team's players u less they go to an NFL rival. Maybe I'm weird

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

kiimo posted:

On the other hand if Michigan is instrumental in pushing Stroud down to where the Lions can get him that's icing on the cake.

I hope they take him, it would make the Lions an actual contender in my opinion. Read up on their fans though and they want to use the pick on defense. SMH
I can understand the inclination, but Goff's ceiling is basically Kirk Cousins. It's better than what it could be, but more likely to get you caught in eternal purgatory between narrowly missing the playoffs and early playoff exits. They absolutely need to get their hands on a QB, since they have the opportunity and means.

Apparently this is a deep DL class anyway, so they should be able to beef up there even if they have to cough up both firsts to secure their desired QB.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Oh. I guess.

I still root for my college team's players in the NFL, but don't really care about my college rival team's players u less they go to an NFL rival. Maybe I'm weird

You're not weird, I feel like most college football fans don't carry that animosity into the NFL.

But we are talking Michigan / Ohio State here. Maybe they're cool about it, maybe not so much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Anthony Richardson has entered the draft

Good luck with that

I dunno, could sit behind Goff for a couple years?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

You're not weird, I feel like most college football fans don't carry that animosity into the NFL.

But we are talking Michigan / Ohio State here. Maybe they're cool about it, maybe not so much.

That said, the Raiders having Carr AND Adams means they're enemy number one. gently caress Fresno State

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ShakeZula posted:

I don't know about this, he had 15 catches, 347 yards, and 3 TDs in the Rose Bowl last year without either Wilson or Olave playing. And whenever just one of them missed a game JSN seemingly absorbed their numbers.

It's a shame that he sat out this season, since this was supposed to be his big coming out party and instead that basically went to Marvin Harrison Jr.

Yeah you're probably right I just don't feel that wowed about his tape last year and then this year he faked a hamstring injury when it was obvious MHJ was going to be the focal point. We'll see how it pans out during the testing process since I wasn't that wowed by Olave either and he's lighting it up in the league.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was also wrong about Olave. And mayyyyybe Drake London.

Whoever told me that his lack of separation may not matter because of his catch radius and just flat out ability to haul in contested catches was right on.

edit: but also I don't know poo poo, not trying to lump myself in with someone of real knowledge like Doltos

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

Stroud should be the clear cut #1. When he's on he's the most accurate QB I've seen in years. Tons of tough passes that he laces on a dime. Same size and speed as Levis without the extra 3 years of growth. Bryce Young has a phenomenal arm for someone his size. Makes it look effortless. Alabama lies about his size, he's tiny. Looks like a high schooler in the huddle. Has Bill O'Brien dragging him to hell. Could definitely see his run game putting him ahead of Stroud but I really dislike drafting guys who'll fall apart in 5 years like Mayfield.

I dunno, Bryce Young has the better tape than Stroud to me as Stroud struggled with picking up pressure looks and that is a big concern. If Young wasn't a midget, he would be the easy #1, but hes a tremendous midget. I think Young has the talent to be the outlier of outliers, but that is an extremely tough sell to make

quote:

Best player in the draft is probably Michael Mayer.

Eh. Mayer is real good, but I don't think he's better than Carter or Anderson

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

People want Mayer to be Pitts or Gronk and he’s not close to either.

Would Hank Hill think he’s a good football player? He kind of looks the part. A very angular fella.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Caleb Williams is tempting the draft gods

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1601651275523051521

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The clip doesn't really match the tweet summary.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

kiimo posted:

A lot of it is recency bias. Goff has been playing... not great, but competently for most of the season, while the defense was hot garbage for most of it. Given that none of the QBs in this draft are surefire prospects, there's a lot of folks who think, reasonably so, that it would be better to keep building up the team around Goff while continuing to wait for a better prospect.

Personally, I think it would be better to go out and get our QB of the future when we have the opportunity — teams can survive bad defenses, they rarely can survive bad or even mediocre QBs. But Brad Holmes has done well enough thus far that whatever he and Campbell decide to do, I'll trust them, whether that means stacking up on defensive talent or getting the best QB they can.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Given that none of the QBs in this draft are surefire prospects

Is there any such thing as a surefire prospect? Luck was probably the last guy who legitimately deserved that description and the Colts still managed to kill him before he really reached his potential.

When those guys do show up you better hope you have the first pick because you probably aren’t getting them otherwise.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

He is Mahomes 2.0, I love him and can't wait for next year

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dunno, Bryce Young has the better tape than Stroud to me as Stroud struggled with picking up pressure looks and that is a big concern. If Young wasn't a midget, he would be the easy #1, but hes a tremendous midget. I think Young has the talent to be the outlier of outliers, but that is an extremely tough sell to make

Eh. Mayer is real good, but I don't think he's better than Carter or Anderson

I agree somewhat. Stroud also has elite talent around him and Michigan made him look a bit rear end. He's just such a statue in the pocket that his only move under pressure is to drift backwards like a Madden player. Also affects his accuracy mightily. I just wish Young wasn't getting dragged down by BOB right now. That LSU game was so rough. We'll know more when we get to the draft process but I'd still rather have Stroud with rooted feet over Young getting popped.

WAJ might not be the best DE in this class and has looked like rear end for a good 4 games in a row this season. Carter is a phenom but I'd rather have a TE like Mayer in the current NFL over a premium 3-tech.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think Mayer is too slow to end up going as high as people have him. His contested ball skills are really good, to the point where you want to give it the benefit of doubt but there's been enough of those kind of pass catchers in general who don't work out that I think it's going to ding him.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 10, 2022

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Is there any such thing as a surefire prospect? Luck was probably the last guy who legitimately deserved that description and the Colts still managed to kill him before he really reached his potential.

When those guys do show up you better hope you have the first pick because you probably aren’t getting them otherwise.

Lawrence was 100% in the Can’t Miss category. He hasn’t quite lived up to that just yet but he was absolutely on that tier.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lawrence was excellent and essentially a can’t miss prospect, but he was still a tier below Luck.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Luck, Eli, and Elway. Outside of that maybe Cam if he ever learned to throw. Trevor is about on Cam's level although not as impressive athletically.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Agreed, being stuck in QB hell is absolute dogshit for a franchise. Doesn't matter who the defensive prospect is, you take the QB if he's there.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dalton Kincaid is listed twice :banjo:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

fennesz posted:

Dalton Kincaid is listed twice :banjo:

No he's not. Also, as pointed out earlier this is a list I copied from ESPN so please direct your complaints there. Thank you and have a nice day.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ornery and Hornery posted:

People want Mayer to be Pitts or Gronk and he’s not close to either.

Would Hank Hill think he’s a good football player? He kind of looks the part. A very angular fella.

Notre Dame uses him in a lot of drag routes and he's got the catch and dig to blow up DBs that play down on those routes. Gronk also had too slow tags coming out but the Pats used him the same way Notre Dame uses Mayer. Have him work the middle enough to make the defense sleep on his speed and then hit them with a deep seam. I think it's also understated that those drag routes aren't necessarily ran to get to the boundary fast. Tons of receivers take short, chopping steps on drags to get into passing lanes rather than just outracing their coverage. I think there's a big difference when he actually gets to go on a deeper route. Pitts comparisons comes in his catching radius and ability to use his body to shield for the ball. He'll probably be a step slower but their receiving abilities are pretty similar. He's got quick feet and can do the same hesitation moves Pitts does to get separation.

I think the problem is he looks like a doofus when he's catching the ball. He can jump and he has really good arm extension. He just sticks his rear end out when catching the ball and it looks unathletic. I still see him getting a step on quality defenders and they can't get close to his catch radius most of the time. Looks bad, plays great.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that guy would really fit in well on thge cincinnati begnasl

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1600872308591456256

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Lawrence was 100% in the Can’t Miss category. He hasn’t quite lived up to that just yet but he was absolutely on that tier.

you had to say this the day before I played against him in fantasy

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Doltos posted:

and then this year he faked a hamstring injury when it was obvious MHJ was going to be the focal point.

Uh where is this coming from?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

No Butt Stuff posted:

Never draft an Ohio State QB

Fields looks pretty good op

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

kiimo posted:

It's a fluid situation that I think depends greatly on the value of the picks.

If the Rams pick was valuable enough to go and get Carter or Anderson, then I think that's where Lions fans would like to go, ahead of also taking the best CB available if the Lions stayed in the 15 range they are now. The defence is playing above itself at the minute but still needs help and talent, so it's not hard to see where the temptation to take 2 difference makers on that side comes from - especially with Goff also showing that he's capable of winning games.

I think the Rams will play the Lions out of being able to get Carter or Anderson, if they haven't already (thanks Baker), and I think the Lions have more wins ahead on their schedule. If those picks end up being 6 & 18 rather than 4 & 15 as they are now, then I think it becomes easier to justify trading up for a QB and finding help at those positions later in the draft. Those are considered the deepest positions this year anyway, right?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The draft is rich with DL and Edge players. CB not quite so much, but not like it’s barren or anything.

Anthony Richardson to the Seahawks or Lions.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

wandler20 posted:

No he's not. Also, as pointed out earlier this is a list I copied from ESPN so please direct your complaints there. Thank you and have a nice day.

Wow you really took that to heart huh. I enjoyed reading the OP and was just trying to help you out.

Cool tantrum in the TE section though.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 12, 2022

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Hey let's be nice to the draft guy huh? For some of us this thread is all we have. For some of us it feels like it's all we ever have.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

whos that broooown posted:

Uh where is this coming from?

When's the last time you saw someone sit out 10 weeks for a non-torn hamstring?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

zimbomonkey posted:

Hey let's be nice to the draft guy huh? For some of us this thread is all we have. For some of us it feels like it's all we ever have.

Who we being mean to Daltos?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Oh don't mind me, I'm skimming with the confidence of full reading. Obviously my reading comprehension is shot.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

I told him someone was listed twice! Happy to be the thread pariah though if that gets everyone to chill out. Send your rotten veggies straight for my big stupid head.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

fennesz posted:

I told him someone was listed twice! Happy to be the thread pariah though if that gets everyone to chill out. Send your rotten veggies straight for my big stupid head.

Don't worry, it didn't offend me at all. It was just a dumb list and someone had already pointed that out and I never bothered fixing it at the time.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
thread is in need of some Endless Summer rn

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrLogan posted:

Who we being mean to Daltos?

Grey Ghost is the draft guy now I'm just supervising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

One thing we can all agree on: big OL are big value.