Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Basically what we know of the plot is that the macguffin is of Greek origin, involves astronomy...

Sounds like the device might be the Antikythera mechanism, but that's just my conjecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I'd say it's almost certainly the Antikythera mechanism, or at least a device based on it. That seems like the perfect kind of ancient artifact an Indiana Jones type might have an adventure about. It's not fully understood, complicated, and could write a story about it being able to be used to travel through time or whatever. Dial of Destiny. Makes sense.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
You all googled "greek dial artifact" too, didn't you? :v:

I'm partial to some form of Archimedes' Death Ray myself (perhaps fired from the moon? I can't shake the feeling the moon plays a significant role here), mostly because it could provide a pretty badass Fatality Move for the movie.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I'm partial to some form of Archimedes' Death Ray myself (perhaps fired from the moon? I can't shake the feeling the moon plays a significant role here), mostly because it could provide a pretty badass Fatality Move for the movie.

Indy 5 turns out to be the prequel to Iron Sky

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I'd be careful here, I don't think there actually have been any genuine specific plot leaks, and there's a LOT of bullshit going around from people trying to make this the next culture wars thing (my freakin' DAD came up to me asking if Indy is secretly being replaced by a young female whipper-snapper like he heard on the radio - funny enough, he actually seemed to like that idea).

There have absolutely been plot leaks from literal months before the trailer came out that were confirmed by the trailer, up to and including shots of objects that were specifically mentioned in the leaks. The leaked stuff seems pretty bad to me.

Having said that I'm not talking about the culture war bullshit, I couldn't care less if they either kill or permanently replace Jones.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I can't even think of any big rumors that aren't the culture wars bullshit. When people talk about "the leaks" of Indiana Jones 5 they're talking about it supposedly being a time travel story that rewrites the history of the prior films and has Phoebe Waller Bridge replacing Harrison Ford as series protagonist. It's so pervasive I don't even have to spoiler it.

If you've got something else I'd like to see it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll believe that someone has "replaced" Indy as the protagonist when they you know, actually make a movie about them that doesn't have Indy in it. They never did attempt it with Shia and it's far from a sure thing that they'll attempt it with anyone else. I'm sure they'd love for that opportunity to come out of this movie, but for that to happen it has to be a huge hit and Waller-Bridge's character would have to be extremely well received.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
No it's just the original reddit leak that got deleted, the leaked on-set footage, and the trailer. But since I don't do social media nobody has been framing it as an outrage, so I'm just of the opinion that pulling a Back to the Future is lame. I'm fine with lady Indy and Jones dying but the entire History Tour is a nonstarter. I don't want to see the other movies meddled with by a time traveller of any variety.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I have no idea why Indiana Jones became a 'meta' series about its own popularity. Temple of Doom was only 'meta' in the sense that it's like "drat, movies can be really fuckin' stupid. Let's lean into that". Otherwise, Indiana Jones is just a charming guy who gets into situations while dressed sort-of like a cowboy.

They also just need to tell good stories. Raiders of the Lost Ark was 'just' a fairly standard pulp premise told with enormous style, whereas Crystal Skull - even minus the franchise baggage - is a totally garbage-quality science fiction movie.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Well, yeah. Did you watch the trailer?

Hell no.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No it's just the original reddit leak that got deleted, the leaked on-set footage, and the trailer. But since I don't do social media nobody has been framing it as an outrage, so I'm just of the opinion that pulling a Back to the Future is lame. I'm fine with lady Indy and Jones dying but the entire History Tour is a nonstarter. I don't want to see the other movies meddled with by a time traveller of any variety.

I really don't think you have to worry about that.

Edit: To be more be more specific, If there is any time travel in the movie, all signs point to it being to 1944 and/or ancient Greece.

I never saw that Reddit post but it pretty much sounds like it's the same "Back to the Future/ Woman replaces Indy plot" that keeps getting circulated mostly by youtubers and right-wingish blogs.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 25, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think it speaks volumes that the closest to excited I got during the trailer was going, "O hey, is that Toby Jones? Always happy to see that guy."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What about the Die Glocke? Seems like a perfect candidate for some Indiana Jones shenanigans. You can also tie it to the Philadelphia Experiment if you want to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Glocke_(conspiracy_theory)

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
I'm all for a new Indy movie making really weird, out-there choices. If the new movie was about Indy and his new dog, Jr., going to a haunted castle and fighting the wizard Merlin I would be there opening night. But if you told me it was just basically the same as the first three movies, not so much. I've seen those already.

Yes, I know the haunted castle was an actual idea at one point

Edit: Can anyone link to somewhere giving a list of details from this alleged leak?

Babaduck fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 25, 2023

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Everyone posted:

Raiders was also the first movie and had no guarantees that there'd be any sequels/prequels. So it kind of had to establish all aspects of Indy's character. So it's not just the hat and bullwhip. Indiana Jones is also a serious person who is a real professor teaching the serious academic subject of archeology to (at least theoretically) serious students.

This is true, but thinking about it some more a lot of it is that there's less music overall which gives some scenes a grimmer feel. Two that come to mind are the bar fight near the beginning and the spontaneous burning of the swastika on the crate holding the Ark on the ship. Like I said it's most likely just a product of being older than the rest and having a bit more of a 70s approach to things.

Babaduck posted:

I'm all for a new Indy movie making really weird, out-there choices. If the new movie was about Indy and his new dog, Jr., going to a haunted castle and fighting the wizard Merlin I would be there opening night. But if you told me it was just basically the same as the first three movies, not so much. I've seen those already.

Yes, I know the haunted castle was an actual idea at one point

Edit: Can anyone link to somewhere giving a list of details from this alleged leak?

You really only need to google something like "Indiana Jones leaks" to pull it up. It's being pushed especially hard by certain youtubers to the point where any contradictory info that arises gets touted as evidence of changes due to fan backlash.

And yeah I agree, Indiana Jones movies aren't ones I particularly love for their plots and you'd have to try really hard to come up with one that'll make me hate it purely on that basis, and it just makes me that much more skeptical how this one sounds like it's specifically tailored to try to do that.

Edit: VVV Lol right on! :hfive:

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 25, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Joke’s on you: I’ve known about the Antikythera mechanism since elementary school because I was a huge history buff smart kid weenie dork :v:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

You Are A Elf posted:

Joke’s on you: I’ve known about the Antikythera mechanism since elementary school because I was a huge history buff smart kid weenie dork :v:

To my eternal shame I've known about it since one episode of Ancient Aliens. Which means I'm probably full of bullshit non-fact misinformation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

To my eternal shame I've known about it since one episode of Ancient Aliens. Which means I'm probably full of bullshit non-fact misinformation.

The type of bullshit misinformation in Ancient Aliens is exactly the sort of thing that makes great Indiana Jones plots though. It's definitely where I first learned about Die Glocke as well.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Basebf555 posted:

The type of bullshit misinformation in Ancient Aliens is exactly the sort of thing that makes great Indiana Jones plots though. It's definitely where I first learned about Die Glocke as well.

My thing with AA is a lot of it is "Wow that's a really cool place that I'd love to visit sometime" combined with "Guessing/Theories getting too stupid. IQ dropping. Must... change... channel."

I've also watched a few episodes of "Skinwalker Ranch." It's like the world's slowest found-footage horror that will eventually give us the answer to "Oh! So that's how they all ended up becoming a pile a radioactive skeletons!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gotta hope those leaks are horseshit, because they sound terrible. Indy erases himself from history to save the future and Waller-Bridge's character takes his place and re-enacts clips from all his past movies while wearing his hat. Thanks for watching the adventures of Indiana Jones for 42 years!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it sounds like the kind of dumb poo poo modern disney would do

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Payndz posted:

Gotta hope those leaks are horseshit, because they sound terrible. Indy erases himself from history to save the future and Waller-Bridge's character takes his place and re-enacts clips from all his past movies while wearing his hat. Thanks for watching the adventures of Indiana Jones for 42 years!

Not that a director has never lied, but Mangold called those rumors out on Twitter as bullshit and it felt pretty convincing to me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
What if the Dial of Destiny is

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
I feel like Harrison Ford cares too much about the character of Indiana Jones to agree to him being killed off or erased from time. Besides, it conflicts with the continuity of the incredibly boring tv series that no one cares about, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Babaduck posted:

I feel like Harrison Ford cares too much about the character of Indiana Jones to agree to him being killed off or erased from time. Besides, it conflicts with the continuity of the incredibly boring tv series that no one cares about, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Have to admit, I did wonder about the canonical existence of 1993 centenerian eyepatch Indy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It is a terrific TV show and I love it except any episode where Indy is a little kid. Also the TV cuts with old Indy are embarrassing, but the DVD cuts are great.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

BTW all four movies are currently streaming if you've got Amazon Prime.

feedmyleg posted:

It is a terrific TV show and I love it except any episode where Indy is a little kid. Also the TV cuts with old Indy are embarrassing, but the DVD cuts are great.

Young Indiana Jones was one of those odd shows back in the day that seemed like a big hit at first and everybody had good things to say about it but we all just couldn't be bothered to keep up with it at all so it only lasted a season or two.

feedmyleg posted:

Not that a director has never lied, but Mangold called those rumors out on Twitter as bullshit and it felt pretty convincing to me.

The current youtuber narrative appears to be "they're secretly changing it due to horrible test screenings" in a rather transparent bid to cover their rear end.

Like, Indy 5 might suck, the sidekick might be annoying (what else is new), it might even feature time travel in some form, but I feel pretty confident it won't be that particular flavor of suck.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I can't believe Kathleen Kennedy would do this to me personally. :qq:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
All of this talk about Indy being replaced by a woman is just people misinterpreting the movie actually being about Indy realizing she’s trans. I’d be there opening night for Indiana Jones and the Second Puberty myself.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Payndz posted:

Pretty sure you're falling for chud rage-bait.

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
We all know that if Indiana Jones was a woman they would have to change her name to Indian Joan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Her name would be Alabama Jones and she would go in the busty crusade

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Indiana Jones has a movie coming out, we should post about that guy. I'm looking forward to the movie, dunno if it'll be good, but it deserves a try. Ford is the man. He's the same age as Ian McShane who just ruled in John Wick 4, so I think 80 is cool right now. And we have movie magic. I'm more hoping the writers are up to snuff, and we get a delightful pulpy adventure.

Thinking I'll watch a Let's Play of that LucasArts adventure game, never played much of that one.

I did watch some Young Indiana Jones in the past year or so, it's ok. Has some charm, kind of like when you get in the mood for some early 90s network stuff like Lois & Clark. Haven't been curious enough to watch it all, but maybe I'll pop on a couple more. I started with just the Sean Patrick Flannery episodes. Indy joins the Belgian army in WW1 and stuff, hijinks, young love, it's like a family world-trotting history show. For some reason them being in this army during WW1 is kind of a boring premise for the whole series, even if it adds flavor to his life. I guess the last couple TV movies are set after WW1. Apparently he's a stuntman in a John Ford movie and stuff too. Maybe he fights Vlad the Impaler. This is canon folks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is it a hot take to say crystal skull is an ugly looking movie and Spielberg’s movies look worse with janusz kamiński?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Crystal Skull looks like cold wet rear end. The lighting is amazingly bad, particularly in the exterior Area 51 scenes, and the quicksand scene. Defenders will probably say they were going for a 50s soundstage look, but holy poo poo what a whiff if that was the case.

Anyway I just recently found out that the big Dial that says Indiana Jones on it cost $300 million dollars to make. I truly hope it's good but my expectations are in the basement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Is it a hot take to say crystal skull is an ugly looking movie and Spielberg’s movies look worse with janusz kamiński?

I'll agree with the first take, but the latter is a hot take, because Catch Me If You Can, Lincoln, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, West Side Story, The Fabelmans and Munich are all beautifully shot.

Mola Yam posted:

Anyway I just recently found out that the big Dial that says Indiana Jones on it cost $300 million dollars to make. I truly hope it's good but my expectations are in the basement.

I have a hunch that they're doing a Star Trek: The Motion Picture thing on the budget there and wrapping all the previous attempts at Indy 5 into the overall cost. (ST: TMP supposedly had a price tag of $45 million, but that was because Paramount did creative accounting and charged all of the attempts, both movies and TV series, that they had been doing since 1972 to the final cost of The Motion Picture and used it as an excuse to boot Gene Roddenberry from any further involvement in the movies beyond being allowed to read script drafts and send notes.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d say minority report’s look kinda stinks and I don’t think ready player one looked good either.

Didn’t JK do lost world? Not as good as Jurassic park imo.

Basically any action movie he did with him just is not as cool as any shot in any of the Indy movies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Basically any action movie he did with him just is not as cool as any shot in any of the Indy movies

War of the Worlds looks great.

But your criterion wasn't "Janusz Kaminski / Spielberg action movie," you said, "Spielberg’s movies look worse with janusz kamiński." And I already proved that wrong with Saving Private Ryan.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I guess people have seen it elsewhere, but in case you missed it, there's a new trailer that came out of whatever Disney media thing is going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfMbSe7F2g

I know some people think all cg looks bad but I think the young(er) Indy shots look great. I still think Dial of Destiny is a dumb name.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've warmed up to Dial of Destiny in a way I never have with Crystal Skull. Sure, DoD is a little bland, but KotCS is so clunky and breaks the rhythm of the other entries. I always felt Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Skulls would have been an absolutely rad adjustment.

I'd love to see a list of titles that were under consideration.