Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

10) Matt Cardona
9) Dalton Castle
8) Jamie Hayter
7) Swerve Strickland
6) Dante Martin
5) Anthony Bowens
4) MJF
3) Powerhouse Hobbs
2) PAC
1) Kenny Omega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

10: Jamie Hayter
9: Ricky Starks
8: Sami Zayn
7: Swerve Strickland
6: PAC
5: Konoske Takeshita
4: Kenny By God Omega
3: Hangman Adam Page
2: Dante Martin
1: Hikaru Shida

Sami Zayn gets a special shoutout for appearing on my list despite me not watching a single minute of WWE broadcasts live last year but still being more invested in his story than anything in AEW at times.

e: also just a note maybe for next year if you can figure out a different/better way to score it but my list would look way different if I could just include tag teams as tag teams on the list and not have them split into individuals

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 19, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
1) Eddie Kingston. Best promo in the business, most compelling guy, extremely solid worker, one of the wrestlers who can get real emotion out of me. I don't care if he loses it the next might, put Big Plat on him, and have him beat MJF to do it.

2) Rey Fenix. The best high flyer in the world. Better than Ospreay, better than either of Top Flight, better than Komander, nobody does it better, and I've been in love with lucha since I was a kid (thanks, WCW!). He's so loving graceful. It is stunning how rarely he botches.

3) Okada. I haven't watched a ton of NJPW since AEW became a going concern, but when I do it's gonna be Okada. Him making the save for Hanger was electric.

Okada is what WWE wanted Randy Orton to be.

4. Kenny Omega. Every great while a wrestler has such a special year that it really illustrates just how valuable they are. Between his crazy run as champion and how much AEW clearly missed him while he was gone, 2022 was one of those years.

5. Swerve. ALLEGATIONS!

6. Orange Cassidy. It is wild to realize just how underutilized he was prior to AEW.

7. Minoru Suzuki. He is so, so good at making people look good while not sacrificing anything about what got him over.

8. Danhausen. Wrestling for me, is as much about how it engages me as it is about talent. Danhausen is fine in the ring but he is otherworldly at presenting a fun character that is easy to like.

9.Bryan Danielson. Pisses excellence.

10. Willow Nightingale. Great worker, charismatic, awesome theme music, what's not to like?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
1. Konosuke Takeshita
2. Bryan Danielson
3. Kenny Omega
4. Mei Suruga
5. Adam Page
6. Jamie Hayter
7. Eddie Kingston
8. Athena
9. Hook
10. Kris Statlander

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit double post, phone was being weird

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
10. Orange Cassidy
9. Sammy Guevara
8. Zack Sabre, Jr.
7. Shelton Benjamin
6. Powerhouse Hobbs
5. Sting
4. Adam Page
3. Claudio Castagnoli
2. Keith Lee
1. Bryan Danielson

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

10) Konnosuke Takeshita: How is he so good at professional wrestling? HOW?
9) Jungle Boy: This is the year he found his character. A white meat babyface who will flip the switch and literally try to run you over with a car if you piss him off bad enough.
8) Eddie Kingston: Man he really fell off the bike booking wise after the kerfluffle with Sammy. Hopefully he'll get back on in 2023.
7) Kenny Omega: Even with his small body of work this year he's an eternal favorite. (Even if I hated the hell out of him during his title run. What can I say? I'm easily immersed and get over-invested).
6) CM Punk: Yup he's here. Not sorry. His feud with MJF and both matches it produced were nuclear fire. Shame he's a curmudgeon to the point of being self-destructive. I'd hope he'd figure that poo poo out but I know better.
5) Chris Jericho: He has no business being this good in 2022. Or staying fresh despite his character never really changing.
4) John Moxley: Obligatory. Moxley spent half of 2022 being all four of the pillars AEW rested on. Not quite the same kind of Moxley fan others here are but I appreciate what he brings to the table.
3) Orange Cassidy: I am never sad to see an Orange Cassidy match. Unless he loses then I'm a little sad.
2) 'Hangman' Adam Page: The people's champion. Lost the title too soon. Moxley may have spent 7 hours in the Walls of the Jericho but Hangman survived 7 Brian Danielson finishers and still killed him in the MotY.
1) Brian Danielson: Didn't have a Meltzer rated 5* match his entire career and spent the last year and a half doing something about it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Didn't have a Meltzer rated 5* match his entire career and spent the last year and a half doing something about it.

Said it before, but Danielson not having a match rated 5 (or more) stars is more on Meltzer, not Danielson, and there are plenty of matches that probably could have (and possible should have) been - the match with McGuinness at ROH Unified in 2006, or even the 3v3 TLC match against The Shield come to mind.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I have put zero thought into this, which means my list has just as much weight in the final results as all the people who have written paragraphs.

10. Sammy Guevara (AEW)
9. Bandido (AEW)
8. Diamante (Dragongate)
7. Jason Lee (Dragongate)
6. Ben-K (Dragongate)
5. Bryan Danielson (AEW)
4. Hangman Adam Page (AEW)
3. YAMATO (Dragongate)
2. Shun Skywalker (Dragongate)
1. Yuki Yoshioka (Dragongate)

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 19, 2023

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

10. Rey Fenix - I can't leave the Lucha Bros out of this, but I couldn't honestly cut any of the other 9. Giving the nod to Fenix.

9. Malakai Black - Spooky artsy poo poo that may be niche, but goddamn I love it. Bonus points for using bomb-rear end doom metal as his entrance theme too.

8. Bryan Danielson - Booking him with Hangman did wonders to help put Page over at the beginning of his title reign. Elevates tons of young talent. AEW's future success will be thanks to Bryan more than anyone.

7. Minoru Suzuki - Everyone loves Murder Grandpa.

6. Hikaru Shida - My #1 Wrestlegal since day 1 in AEW.

5. Kenny Omega - It's impossible for him to have a bad match.

4. Konosuke Takeshita - I haven't been this excited about a new guy coming into a company since Brock Lesnar. I wouldn't be surprised in a few years if he's my #1.

3. "Hangman" Adam Page - In previous years, he'd be #1. Hell, I vowed to go to the PPV where he would likely win the title no matter where it was not long after AEW began. I lucked out that it was in the next state over.

2. Jon Moxley - Pretty much the shoe-in for the #1 guy here, and I can't add anything more. Jericho put AEW on his back to start, but it's clearly on Mox's shoulders now.

1. Eddie Kingston - The best forms of entertainment immerse you to the point that you don't care if it's fiction. Kayfabe may be dead, but whenever Eddie talks, you start to think that maybe he didn't get the memo. He makes wrestling feel real.
No, he isn't the most impressive looking guy phyically. No, he doesn't do insane poo poo that looks as if he's going to die in the ring. I love Eddie because he's so loving relatable. A lot of what he wrote in his Player's Tribune article echos the mental health issues I've dealt with in my life. And if a guy like Eddie can make it, maybe so can I.

Honorable mentions: Jamie Hayter, The Acclaimed, Penta, Maki Itoh, Miyu Yamashita, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

These are the people who make me happy whenever I see them on screen, and therefore, are my top ten:

10) Tony Nese
9) Christian Cage
8) Malakai Black
7) Swerve
6) Dr. Britt Baker DMD
5) Yuka Sakazaki
4) Thekla
3) Leva Bates
2) Keith Lee
1) Ruby Soho

Honorable Mentions: Orange Cassidy, Kris Statlander, Riho, Jamie Hayter, Adam Cole, Kenny Omega, Eddie Kingston, Mei Suruga, Danhausen, Dalton Castle, Nyla Rose, Mox, STING, Samoa Joe, Minoru Suzuki

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

edogawa rando posted:

Said it before, but Danielson not having a match rated 5 (or more) stars is more on Meltzer, not Danielson, and there are plenty of matches that probably could have (and possible should have) been - the match with McGuinness at ROH Unified in 2006, or even the 3v3 TLC match against The Shield come to mind.

Yeah, Dave underrated Bryan Danielson in his ROH run for sure. And a lot of it seems to be "oh sure he's great but this style would never get over in the major leagues & he's too short & he's not got charisma", with that last one being the weirdest because Danielson by the end of his ROH Title run was already insanely charismatic, & tbh the idea that he was this Dean Malenko bland but smooth guy at any time in that run doesn't pass the mustard. By 2002 and Era of Honor Begins he's already got something.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

1 Cody Rhodes
2 Charlotte Flair
3 Brian Danielson
4 Jade Cargill
5 Takeshita
6 MJF
7 Kenny Omega
8 Will Ospreay
9 Roman Reigns
10 Bayley

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

edogawa rando posted:

To amend my statement: He spent the last year and a half fixing Dave's mistakes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wow, great to see a bunch more lists, I've gone through and tallied everything up now and it's caused some wild (and exciting!) fluctuations in the rankings, particularly in the Top 20. It's extra work but I think next year rather than keeping a tally of the Top 20 at the end of each day, I might investigate a hopefully efficient and easy way to track how the scores stand for the Top 20/25 after every individual list, just so people can see how much things can get changed up by even a single high placement of a wrestler on a list (or cumulatively a lot of low rankings). Hopefully I can pull that off, I find that kind of stuff fascinating.

IcePhoenix posted:

e: also just a note maybe for next year if you can figure out a different/better way to score it but my list would look way different if I could just include tag teams as tag teams on the list and not have them split into individuals

Happily, GEORGE W BUSHI plans to repeat the Top Ten Favorite Tag Teams thread from last year after this one is done, so tag teams will get a chance to be represented too!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I’ll be doing favourite tag teams after this is over so please make sure to give them their due then!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just include your favourite tag wrestlers in the top 10 imo

Only 2 more entries left to write I'm almost done :sweatdrop:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

1. Cody Rhodes - There is no wrestler alive half as compelling to me as Cody Rhodes. The broken titty Hell in a Cell match is the only match of 2022 that I think genuinely may never be topped. Those circumstances will never happen again, and if they somehow did, it would become 'that Cody Rhodes ripoff match'.

2. Jon Moxley - Moxley rose from AEW's top guy to AEW's emergency button. Between injuries and backstage garbage, the main reason this year wasn't a total disaster for AEW was because of Moxley's talent. Oh, and he did it all after returning from rehab.

3. Roman Reigns - In 2019, Roman was a feelgood story. In 2020, Roman was the savior, come to rescue us from The Fiend and Braun Strowman matches. In 2021, Roman was the top guy, and accepted for it. In 2022, Roman went from top guy to guy who gets people over for being associated long-term with him. Sami Zayn is a talented as hell wrestler and it rules he's finally getting his due.

4. Atlantis Jr. - From the guy who was only getting chances because he was Atlantis's son to the guy everyone wanted to see win in the main event of the Anniversary Show. I love me some CMLL as hard as it is to watch (because CMLL hates me personally, not because it sucks), and I love me some Atlantis Jr.

5. MJF - 2022 AEW ultimately was really all about the rise of MJF, and it ruled.

6. Orange Cassidy - ...

7. Hangman Page - Still love the Hanger.

8. Hiroshi Tanahashi - Tanahashi kicking out at 1 at Forbidden Door is probably the #2 best babyface moment of the year behind only Hell in a Cell Cody. Tanahashi is so loving cool.

9. Kazuchika Okada - I will never not love the Rainmaker.

10. Minoru Suzuki - See Okada, but also angrier.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 20, 2023

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!
1) Bryan Danielson
2) Jon Moxley
3) Swerve Strickland
4) CM Punk
5) Hikaru Shida
6) Chris Jericho
7) Max Caster
8) Darby Allin
9) Brody King
10) Tay Melo

Honorable Mentions:
Maki Itoh
Daddy Magic

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rarity posted:

Just include your favourite tag wrestlers in the top 10 imo

Only 2 more entries left to write I'm almost done :sweatdrop:

they're only my favorites when they're in a tag team though :colbert:

Like with FTR they'd probably have been 5 or 6 on my list if I could put them as a team but as a singles act dax and cash are not my 5th and 6th favorite wrestlers and that difference matters to me

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Full list tomorrow, but #1 is the great Kevin Owens.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1545465861783289862

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a tag team isn't a wrestler. the idea that they need to be teaming to count is a point for not being included on a list for this, rather than a point for including two wrestlers as one. it's not the same thing. be an adult in here now. stop making everything so difficult for everyone else. this is not a walk in the park. have some respect for others. just kidding

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wish i could vote for kobashi & johnny ace

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just reminding yet again that GEORGE W BUSHI plans to repeat the Top Ten Favorite Tag Teams thread from last year after this one is done, so tag teams will get a chance to be represented too!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I’ll be doing favourite tag teams after this is over so please make sure to give them their due then!

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Jerusalem posted:

Just reminding yet again that GEORGE W BUSHI plans to repeat the Top Ten Favorite Tag Teams thread from last year after this one is done, so tag teams will get a chance to be represented too!

Honestly he probably just needs to do top 9 8

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wrestling in Review: 2022

At the opening of last year’s list I said that there were more options to source your grapplefights than ever before. This proved to be true on a personal level in 2022 as I can honestly say that I checked out more promotions over the course of the year than I ever have before. AEW continues to be a mainstay in my weekly routine, I got back into NJPW in a major way as they began to recover from the pandemic, I jumped into ROH thanks to Tony Khan’s purchase of the company and I saw bits and pieces of TJPW, WWE and even STARDOM thanks to that one crossover show. Due to this wide coverage narrowing down my list was harder than ever before – I could easily have done a top 40! As it is I’m going to cheat again by doing a top 20 and also throw in a whole bunch of HMs but first I just want to check in with those on my list from last year who haven’t made the cut.

2021: Where Are They Now?

20. Cody Rhodes – Shocked the world by jumping back to WWE, broke a titty
19. HOOK – Still developing but not getting enough ring-time to make an impact
18. Dante Martin – Disappeared into the Dark zone after his brother got injured again
14. CM Punk - :ohno:
12. Miro – Too busy screwing his hot flexible wife and dreaming up new cuck angles for his Fed return
11. Lio Rush – Quit AEW after Tony slammed Big Swole, retired for the 496th time, just wrestled at the Tokyo Dome
10. Serena Deeb – Won and lost the ROH Women’s title, injured now I guess????
9. Andrade El Idolo – Made a bunch of cryptic tweets, punched Sammy Guevara in the face
8. Malakai Black – Disappeared for months for mental health, hiding in closets again

Honourable Mentions

Ace Austin – Added a ton of energy to New Japan’s junior division, ringstyle feels really unique
Bryan Danielson – Still great but spent a touch too much time this year injured/feuding with Chris Jericho
DOUKI – Suzuki-gun is ichiban forever in my heart
El Desperado – See above
Francisco Akira – Had a rocky start during BOSJ but once he found his inner gobby Italian it all clicked and now he’s good enough for me to enjoy a tag team with TJP in it
FTR – Matches have been on another level, responsible for the best match I saw live this year (and ever), mostly don’t make the cut cause Dax is kinda weird on Twitter
Hangman Page – Oof, this one hurts. I loved the title reign but it was ages ago and he had a quiet back half of ‘22
Jon Moxley – OH I’M SORRY, WAS THAT NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN?
Katsuyori Shibata – I saw him wrestle Orange Cassidy this year what the gently caress
Konosuke Takeshita – Amazing work in-ring, I just need him to get involved in actual story so his personality can come through
Miu Watanabe – I’m doing the hand signals right now and you can’t stop me
Miyu Yamashita – So loving cool
MJF – Flashes of brilliance but way too reliant on one-note shtick, constantly feels a theatre kid performance
Rey Fenix – It feels weird to say he’s had a quiet year as he’s finishing up an all time best of 7 series but… yeah, he’s had a quiet year
Robbie Eagles – Deserved a way bigger push after crushing it in this year’s Best of Super Juniors
Sammy Guevara – A loving heat machine
Wheeler Yuta – Introduction to the BCC was great, ROH Pure Title matches were a treat
Yuki Arai – I need to get back into TJPW, I hear she’s tag champ now and that’s pretty rad

Well that’s almost enough to fill a very respectable top 20 right there but unfortunately none of these fine wrestlers made the cut because all of these people clicked better for me this year. Which isn’t to say they’re better wrestlers, these were just the people I was attached to in 2022.

========

20. JADE CARGILL
(New Entry)

“Green like money”

It’s been an up and down sophomore year for Jade Cargill. She started 2022 by winning the belt amidst a slew of criticism. However once she was champion she quickly found her feet as she started nailing down her character while improving her skills in-ring. Unfortunately her development has round up stalling out as she got caught up in a sea of jobber squashes while TK is seemingly reluctant to pair her with the division’s major talent which has wound up with her stock falling. But if you look at Jade now compared to one year ago it’s clear that she has grown so much. Sure, there’s a lot of work to do still in the ring but her presentation, her ability to absorb criticism and turn it into strength and her commitment to bigging up the girlies on social media is all admirable. Whatever else you want to say about her it’s undeniable that Jade has star quality. She just needs a chance to be stretched now. It’s ok Tony, she’s ready for her William Regal match.

Key Matches:

vs. Anna Jay, AEW Rampage, 25/01

vs. Willow Nightingale, AEW Battle of the Belts IV, 07/10

vs. Kiera Hogan, AEW Rampage, 28/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarErVOSjBg

========

19. CHRISTIAN CAGE
(Down 4)

“You have a father. Your father’s dead”

I made my position clear a year ago, Christian Cage has always been one of my guys. There were even periods in my fandom where he was The Guy as far as I’m concerned. But while I will always prefer to be able to cheer for one my favourites as a babyface I cannot deny that his best work has always been as a conniving underhanded heel and goddam did 2022 make that clear. After spending six months behind Jungle Boy’s spotlight Christian finally made the move that everyone knew was coming and turned on his young protegee. The following week in the space of ten minutes he cut a promo that covered Jungle Boy’s dead father and daddy issues, Christian’s desire to bone his Jungle Mum and the erasure from AEW of his former friend Marko Stunt. But that’s Christian Cage for you. There is no line he won’t cross, there is no bar he won’t dive under. Unfortunately his heel run was cut short by an injury that derailed their blow-off match and saw Christian leaving our TV screens or else he would have sure featured much higher on this list.

Key Matches:

vs. Ethan Page, AEW Rampage, 04/03

vs. Adam Cole, AEW Dynamite, 06/04

vs. Jungle Boy, AEW All Out, 04/09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHJ2SXCvqc

========

18. CHRIS JERICHO
(New Entry)

“I threw a fireball in his face, cause I’m a wizard!”

Like most of us my introduction to wrestling was in high school. I was 15, it was the height of the Attitude Era and Channel 4 had just brought the rights to Sunday Night Heat. As I started to get to know the world of the WWF there was one man that instantly appealed to me. He was cocky, flashy, funny and sarcastic. If you’d told me then that this man would still be one of my favourites 22 years later I would have called you insane. But then who could have predicted that 31 years into his career that Chris Jericho would have an incredible renaissance. Up till this year Jericho’s work in AEW had been enjoyable but a clear shadow compared to his prime years but after a health scare caused him to cut back on alcohol and regain his conditioning the man has been on a tear. Banger after banger after banger, multiple reinventions, a series of hot angles, forming a new stable that’s increased the profile of everyone in it, working programs that have shone a spotlight on up and coming talent, getting multiple people jobs, I would argue that Jericho’s 2022 has been the best veteran year that anyone in wrestling has ever had. The man is 52 and feels more relevant now than he has since the 00s. Has he got enough in the tank to keep going another year? I don’t know but I definitely want the chance to find out.

Key Matches:

vs. Eddie Kingston, AEW Revolution, 06/03

vs. Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 10/08

vs. Tomohiro Ishii, AEW Dynamite, 23/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqURPBtGJzg

========

17. SWERVE STRICKLAND
(New Entry)

“Scorpions gonna sting”

This guy.

This loving guy.

In 2022 there was no greater car crash in slow motion than watching the implosion of Swerve Strickland’s partnership with his former ally, Keith Lee. From day one it was clear that Swerve In Our Glory was made up of two disparate entities and that Swerve’s ego was only going to be held in check for so long and all it took was two goofsters with a love of scissors to send him careening into the dark. What’s funny though is that when it came it wasn’t a challenge to his ability that condemned him because (and this not meant as an insult) the Acclaimed were never going to match Swerve in the ring. No, it turned out that all it took to set Swerve off was the mere suggestion that he might not be as beloved as he thought he was. The second someone more popular showed up he crumbled under the pressure, revealing the bitter arrogance that was barely hiding under his laidback facade. The best heels are the ones that are believable as real. MJF is down in my HMs
because when he’s out of the spotlight I believe he’s as much of a loveable dork as the rest of us. I fully believe that when Dynamite wraps up Swerve goes back to his hotel and stews over all the people he thinks have slighted him.

gently caress this guy.

Key Matches:

vs. Nick Wayne, DEFY 50, 26/02

w/ Keith Lee vs. Team Taz vs. Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus, AEW Double or Nothing, 29/05

w/ Keith Lee vs. Team Taz vs. The Young Bucks, AEW Dynamite, 13/07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE14SUzVjr8

========

16. KYLE O’REILLY
(New Entry)

“I need to sit down”

I love this weird goblin man and it breaks my heart that I can’t fit him into the top 10. And if Kyle had managed to put in a full year of work then he would be an absolute lock for points from me but unfortunately he’s spent over 6 months on the sidelines recovering from a medical condition commonly known as ‘nuts got crushed with a baseball bat by Sting’. It’s a drat shame because any true wrestling aficionado knows that while Adam Cole got all of the attention it was always Kyle who was the best member of the Undisputed Era and I mean folks, where’s the lie? In the ring Kyle’s gritty technical style is unmatched by anyone on the AEW roster including the company’s other dragon and even that may be outshone by his presence outside of matches. Whether it’s anxiously scuttling back and forth like a crab, fanning himself off or bailing out in the middle of a promo because he needs to sit down Kyle makes every single little thing he does so watchable and so unique that it’s impossible to take your eyes off him. In a summer where AEW’s roster was blighted by injury the loss of Kyle may have been the hardest to bear. Please get well soon, goblin man.

Key Matches:

vs. Rey Fenix, AEW Dynamite, 18/05

vs. Darby Allin, AEW Double or Nothing, 29/05

vs. Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 10/06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOoQQ4Sd9pM

========

15. TAICHI
(Re-Entry)

“There is no need for you to stand next to such a pathetic man any more”

In the five years since I started watching NJPW no character has shown as much growth nor been as compelling as Taichi. Back then he was a despised heel who was routinely mocked for his non-credible step up to the heavyweights. Five years on he was one of the leading figures in the most beloved faction in the company before their split and has just earned his first five star rating from Big Dave. But the question here isn’t how did Taichi earn such favour, the question is why was he ever hated in the first place? The thing is this is a man who is not only ready to believe every negative thing that is said about him but will embrace those barbs with open arms. So when he was cast as the lowlife he was more than happy to play the role. When he was derided as lazy he decided there was no need to try. When he was seen as a failure he turned his back on winning. But falsehoods can only sit for so long before they are revealed and through battles with the likes of Tomohiro Ishii and Shingo Takagi the inner fire within Taichi was displayed for all to see while pure bonds with his Suzuki-gun brothers showed the nature of his heart. Five years on and the rest of us now see Taichi for who he truly is, an exceptional wrestler and loyal friend who can stand against anyone in New Japan. Now he just needs to see it for himself.

Key Matches:

vs. DOUKI, JTO TakaTaichimania III, 10/01

vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW G1 Climax Night 2, 17/07

vs. Shingo Takagi, JTO TakaTaichimania 50th Anniversary, 19/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Iu2f6UKMw

========

14. TAY MELO
(Down 10)

“I am the street fight!”

Even though 2022 was a quiet year for Tay she’s one of those people who is always going to have a permanent residence in my top picks. The only reason she doesn’t make my top 10 this time round is that she spent the most of the year standing at ringside during Sammy Guevara matches and was swallowed up by an atrocious feud with Scorpio Sky and America’s Top Team. Despite all of this Tay still impressed me every time she was on-screen. She plays a great bitchy mean girl heel, she gave Jade what is still the best match of her career and even when stuck in the role of a valet she was really drat good at it. Her protracted storyline with Ruby got stuck on the back burner due to injury but has already led to her re-establishing her garbage match credentials along with her BFF Anna which hopefully bodes well for her prominence in 2023. Look I’m a simple girl, just show me Tay pump kicking her boot through people’s faces and I’m happy.

Key Matches:

vs. Jade Cargill, AEW Revolution, 06/03

w/ Sammy Guevara vs. Dante Martin/Skye Blue, AEW Rampage, 10/08

vs. Ruby Soho, AEW Dynamite, 14/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RaUCiik0IE

========

13. DANIEL GARCIA
(New Entry)

“I’m a sports entertainer”

For the biggest part of this year Danny was a lock for a spot in my top 10. I mean it, I had a ranking in place and I kept updating it through the year in anticipation of this thread and no that is actually a very cool thing to do shut up. Anyway, Garcia was the clear surprise delight of the first few months of the year when he followed his two dads to join the Jericho Appreciation Society, in doing so turning his back on the technical purity he had thrived in to embrace the ways of sports entertainment. Few moments in 2022 matched that poo poo-eating grin so beautifully captured in the above gif. Over the next few months Garcia proved that his sense of character, timing and delivery was just as good as his in-ring fundamentals as his closeness to one of the all time promo greats took him to new heights. Just when it seemed like he was lost forever he found himself in the orbit of his hero Bryan Danielson leading to a crisis of conscience as crowds desperately tried to reach him with chants of “YOU’RE A WRESTLER!”

If only Tony hadn’t fumbled the blow-off. Sorry Danny :sigh:

Key Matches:

vs. Konosuke Takeshita, PWG Nineteen, 03/07

vs. Wheeler Yuta, ROH Death Before Dishonor, 23/07

vs. Bryan Danielson, AEW Dynamite, 27/07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jBcDbj05AU

=========

12. KENNY OMEGA
(New Entry)

“I hear the battle cry”

I have no idea where Kenny would have landed in my list if he’d been around for a full 12 months. He could have easily wound up somewhere very high. He could also very easily have wound up abandoned as an honourable mention, as is the standard fate for most of the true main event company aces. But as the old adage goes absence makes the heart grow fonder and nothing made me want to see Kenny Omega more than not being able to see Kenny Omega. AEW has collected what is quite possibly the best roster to ever exist in one place at one time yet even among them Kenny stands without equal. You can say that AEW belongs to Jon Moxley after his repeated bailouts and abandoned vacations. You can say that AEW belongs to Hangman Page as the main character of their biggest storyline. You can even say that AEW belongs to Cody Rhodes as the biggest PR guy in their creation. But for me none of that is true. AEW is and always will be Kenny’s house. The company was built off the back off a surging fandom that he created and for the whole time he was gone there was a noticeable gaping hole in the product. The slow growing buzz through the year as we waited for him to return was a wonderful piece of community leading up one of the best pops of the year as we finally heard the battle cry. Oh and then he went on to have a bunch fantastic matches, obviously. Just don’t mention the dog.

Key Matches:

w/ The Young Bucks vs. Will Ospreay/Aussie Open, AEW Dynamite, 31/08

w/ The Young Bucks vs. Hangman Page/Alex Reynolds/John Silver, AEW All Out, 04/09

w/ The Young Bucks vs. Death Triangle, AEW Full Gear, 19/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7RIa_hJoWE

========

11. JAY WHITE
(New Entry)

“Welcome to the final episode of the ToJay show”

When Jay White pinned Kazuchika Okada at Dominion to lift the IWGP World Heavyweight Title it was almost inconceivable to think that the man had been a complete non-factor in the wrestling world for the first half of the year. With international travel still proving difficult in the wake of the pandemic Switchblade was slumming it with appearances on Impact and NJPW and seeming to be a forgotten castaway. Even a major angle betraying founding Bullet Club member Tama Tonga drew little interest. All it took was one Blade Runner to return him to the pinnacle of pro wrestling, re-establishing his dominance over New Japan’s ace and following it with a deranged promo claiming credit for the existence of AEW, Hangman Page and probably chocolate ice cream as well. I know that for many his absence in the run up to Wrestle Kingdom and hatred of clap crowds have worn thin but the act still works for me. Jay is the #1 heel in the business, a man sentient bucket of grease who secretes loathsome energy out of every pore yet at the same time displays fascinating moments of humanity and vulnerability. The interview following his defeat at the Tokyo Dome is an absolute must-see, one man’s journey into the depths of his soul as all the bravado and confidence shatters revealing the scared insecure boy within ...only for him to latch onto one final liferaft, rebuild his barriers and regress to the same odious prick he’s always been. MJF could never.

Key Matches:

vs. Alex Shelley, Impact Sacrifice, 05/03

vs. Kazuchika Okada, NJPW Dominion, 12/06

vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW G1 Climax Night 4, 23/07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrW5cpH8Q9o

========

10. DAVID FINLAY
(New Entry)

“Do you believe me now?”

If you had told me a year ago – hell, six months ago - that the Marty Jannetty of a tag team with Juice Robinson would be in my top 10 in 12 months time I would have sent you to the same asylum that Kane wound up in. David Finlay? David loving Finlay? At the midway point of the year I couldn’t have picked out a member of the New Japan roster who screamed midcard filler (those with strong opinions on how to eat bananas excluded) and when the field for the G1 was announced he was one of the most disappointing names to make the cut. What the hell could David Finlay offer this tournament? An opening loss to Yujiro Takahashi in a forgettable match merely validated those questions. But then all of a sudden something changed. Finlay found himself entrusted with a Korukuen main event slot against his former tag partner who had faked retirement to make the jump to Bullet Club and all of a sudden David Finlay turned up and turned out. With a new look, a new intensity and a new aggression Finlay suddenly looked like he deserved the family name and the heritage it imbued him. This was only cemented when he claimed victory over his former friend, stole the IWGP US title belt and immediately called out its true owner Will Ospreay who he would go on to beat in another shock upset. All of a sudden Top Gaijin Face David Finlay felt less a joke and more a proclamation. While he couldn’t stick the landing on his title challenge Finlay has continued to impress following the G1 proving that his tournament run was no fluke. With his character finally clicking and his in-ring efforts stepping up a huge degree there are few wrestlers I’m more excited to follow in 2023. Yes, I believe him now.

Key Matches:

vs. Juice Robinson, NJPW G1 Climax Night 6, 26/07

vs. Will Ospreay, NJPW Burning Spirit, 25/09

vs. Zack Sabre Jr., NJPW Battle Autumn, 27/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks5eF26BZrY

========

9. RICKY STARKS
(Up 7)

“I took leather and metal and made it into gold”

Just as there are people who dropped out of my top 10 late there are those who found there way in on a late surge of excitement. And drat, if anyone got hot at exactly the right time for this list it’s Ricky Starks. All through his run as the breakout member of Team Taz we all knew that Ricky had a killer babyface inside him but it took the catalyst of losing his FTW Title to his running buddy HOOK to really bring it out. But while Ricky was suddenly cutting his first of many fiery promos his other running buddy was about to turn on him and with that we were off to races. The feud with Powerhouse Hobbs showed Ricky’s potential, the underdog victory in the Eliminator Tournament proved his credentials and of course the resulting feud with MJF (and a delightfully biased hometown crowd) produced the segment that is the literal definition of star-making. Although the truth is Ricky always was a star. He always had the swag, he always had the glamour, he always had the charisma, all that’s changed is now everyone knows it. Wrestling is honestly, fricking boring. I want Ricky. I wanna see Ricky and his gold chains. We need Ricky!

Key Matches:

vs. Jay Lethal, AEW Rampage, 02/02

vs. Powerhouse Hobbs, AEW Rampage, 21/09

vs. MJF, AEW Dynamite, 14/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnqPenndsa8

========

8. ANTHONY BOWENS
(New Entry)

“Scissor me, Daddy rear end!”

What, you thought there wasn’t going to be any representation for the Acclaimed on my list this year? That would be literally impossible I assure you because as we all know so very well EVERYONE! LOVES! THE ACCLAIMED! But I don’t want to just talk about the Acclaimed here, I want to talk about the contributions Bowens specifically makes to the team because he can sometimes go unappreciated behind Max’s flash and bluster. But those bars wouldn’t hit anywhere near as hard without Bowens selling them and his ability to growl a hometown is unparalleled. He could have easily been overwhelmed in his pairing with Max but he has more than held his own as a personality to ensure the Acclaimed feel like a team of equals. More importantly however it’s Bowens that puts the work in in the ring to tie the team together with his crisp offence and impressive selling. The Acclaimed’s rise to the top was underpinned by his kayfabed injury problems and he made for a compelling and loveable babyface. And then there’s the fact that he is unapologetically black, unapologetically gay man who’s not afraid to smooch his boyfriend right in front of homophobes. Anthony Bowens is a good wrestler and a better human and he deserves every great thing in the world.

Ok look, writing this one was hard. I have to save most of my material for later.

Key Matches:

w/ Max Caster vs. Darby Allin/Sting, 19/01

vs. Jon Moxley, 26/01

w/ Max Caster vs. Swerve In Our Glory, 21/09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU90IJN3xfs

========

7. PAC
(Non-Mover)

“I suppose this was the moment you expected me to bow down and call you master”

Three things in life in are certain. Death, taxes and PAC gets a spot in Rarity’s Top 10 Favourite Wrestlers. I will never not have a space in my heart for this grumpy goblin man who seemingly spends his free time under the Tyne Bridge biting the nose off anyone who comes close. Even in a down year I will still find a spot for the Bastard but in 2022 he had a particularly successful year being more of a presence in AEW than since the before-COVID times. Along with his brothers-in-arms in Death Triangle, Penta and Fenix, he appeared in some of the best trios matches I’ve ever seen, each new one being better than the last. His status was deemed so important that the company even created the All-Atlantic Title just to give him that extra bit of clout and then when plans for the Elite were derailed by a cupcake salesman and an overzealous dog lover it was to PAC and company that Tony turned to bring the newly formed Trios Titles back on track, making him AEW’s first ever double champ in the process. A just achievement for the man who is arguably the best wrestler on an incredibly stacked roster. PAC closed out the year being part of the unbelievable feat that was wrestling’s best ever best of 7 series. Hopefully the new year sees the Bastard and his newfound love of little hammers pushed right back to the top of the card where he belongs. AEW is coming to London this year and I’m going and there’s nothing I want to see more than PAC challenging for Big Plat in front of a rabid hometown crowd.

Key Matches:

w/ Lucha Bros vs. House of Black, AEW Double or Nothing, 29/05

w/ Lucha Bros vs. Will Ospreay/Aussie Open, AEW Dynamite, 24/08

w/ Lucha Bros vs. The Elite, AEW Dynamite, 28/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uihws-b1hBY

Speaking of local heroes...

========

6. JAMIE HAYTER
(New Entry)

“Hayters gonna hate”

I’m going to be honest here. For the first year or so after Jamie Hayter officially became #AllElite I just didn’t get it. And don’t get me wrong! I thought she was a good wrestler – maybe great even – but she just wasn’t clicking for me on an emotional level. So when people said that she needed to get out of Britt’s shadow my reaction was ‘yeah it’s gonna happen at some point, it’s cool be patient’. I figured I’d enjoy it when it came but I didn’t need it.

Turns out all I really needed to jump on board the Hayter train was for everyone else to jump on board as well. Because as soon as it became clear in the summer that AEW were serious about treating her as Britt’s equal and she started to pulling those big reactions I was 100% on board. She’s stiff as gently caress, she’s cool as gently caress, her theme tune goes effing hard and you know when you see her walk out that she is going to deliver between the ropes. In one fell swoop Jamie’s rise has obliterated all the criticisms lingering around AEW Women’s Title since Shida held it and re-established the top belt as a prize worth chasing. If she ends up dropping the belt before AEW comes over to London I will be beyond man because she deserves one hell of a hero’s welcome. I’m drinking the Hayterade, slopping it down by the bucket.

Key Matches:

w/ Britt Baker vs. Thunderstorm, AEW Dynamite, 03/08

vs. Toni Storm, AEW Full Gear, 19/11

vs. Hikaru Shida, AEW Dynamite, 21/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUn_cfd6WCY

========

5. EDDIE KINGSTON
(Down 3)

“I drink to drown my demons, but they know how to swim”

C’mon, you all know the deal by now. Every year we do these lists and every year I write a long rhapsodical spiel about Eddie Kingston is the heart and soul of professional wrestling, how there is no one in the industry able to speak with such honesty or credibility, how moving it is to see him break out in a major way of twenty years of struggle and how he Eddie chasing the World Title is a license to print money. We get it, it’s boring. But the only way Eddie doesn’t make my list is if he does a literal murder and the worst thing he did this year was just piefacing Sammy Guevara so we’re going to have to fill this time with something. So instead let’s remember the high points of Eddie Kingston’s 2022: the time he just really wanted to eat cake, the time he cut the most brutal promo of the year and it was only on Twitter, the time he was a petrol-can zombie, the time he hated Claudio Castagnoli and also the other time and all the others, the time he didn’t give a poo poo about vloggers, the time he got to wrestle and go over his literal dream opponent. I could go on forever because everything he touches is gold. Eddie needs to win Big Plat from MJF, it’s the easiest lay-up in history. Don’t do him dirty on this, Tony.

Key Matches:

vs. Chris Jericho, AEW Revolution, 06/03

Anarchy in the Arena, AEW Double or Nothing, 29/05

vs. Jun Akiyama, AEW Full Gear, 19/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTg7amJZh4

========

4. MAKI ITOH
(Down 3)

“Words learned today, FUCKNUGGET”

Yeah yeah, I’m a loving cliché. Big woop. I don’t even care, Maki Itoh will make my list until the heat death of the universe. I barely even watched any TJPW this year, probably because they chose to do gently caress all with Maki for most of the year (no, a midcard belt reign does not count gently caress you very much). None of that matters because Maki Itoh is eternal. She’d make my list even if she hadn’t wrestled at all – yeah you heard me J-Ru, gently caress you I make my own rules. Hell, the only reason she’s not my #1 is I have three particular senttimental picks who all specifically satisfied me this year. That’s it, I don’t have anything else to say here. Put Maki on my TV screen and give her all the belts she can carry. Then give her a bunch more and let Miyu hang on to them. Just loving push her.

Key Matches:

vs. Hikari Noa, TJPW Tokyo Joshi Pro ‘22, 04/01

w/ Miyu Yamashita vs. Hikaru Shida/Moka Miyamoto, TJPW Yes! Wonderland, 03/05

w/ Hikari Noa vs. Rika Tatsumi/Suzume, TJPW Additional Attack, 19/06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F6gu4z2jB0

========

3. ATHENA
(Re-Entry)

“Top Notch Bitch”

Like I said, all of my top 3 picks this year are personal. This one right here is all about validation. I got back into wrestling in 2017 after a long lay-off and the main reason I did was because WWE had started to treat women’s wrestling seriously. Obviously this was in the Before Times so I had to content myself with the Fed’s output. Raw and Smackdown were… well, not great but better than now but fortunately this was when their developmental brand NXT was at the height of its powers. Particularly their regular big Takeover shows. The first one of these I saw was NXT Takeover Brooklyn III, the women’s match was the undefeated Asuka defending her belt against the maybe-werewolf maybe-witch maybe-both Ember Moon. It was phenomenal. It’s still the best WWE women’s match I’ve seen and yes I’ve seen the Bayley/Sasha ones. Now I’m not going to pretend like Asuka isn’t one of the best female talents in the world but Ember more than held her own. Ever since I’ve maintained that Athena is the best woman’s wrestler than the United States has to offer. Even as she was abandoned in catering, even as she was getting injured in the name of chasing the 24/7 title, even as she was demoted back to NXT. I always knew Ember could prove everyone wrong. She just needed a chance. Turns out being fired can be the best thing for your career. Athena burst back onto the indie scene looking like she’d never missed a step and displaying the kind of charisma people had always said she was lacking. An #AllElite graphic followed and finally I got to enjoy Athena as a big deal on a weekly basis. While her introductory feud with Jade was poorly handled she always delivered when on screen and by the end of the year she had tweaked her character with a fantastic heel turn and won the ROH Women’s Title in glorious fashion. 2022 was inarguably the best year of Athena’s career but the great thing is I don’t think it’s going to hold a candle to the years that follow.

Key Matches:

vs. Thunder Rosa, Warrior Wrestling 19, 12/02

vs. Swerve Strickland, REVOLVER Swerve’s House, 16/04

vs. Mercedes Martinez, ROH Final Battle, 10/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJO2udw1r08

========

2. MAX CASTER
(Up 15)

“You shoulda shot blanks from your Smoking Gunns!”

Let’s go back in time, shall we? It’s the summer of 2020, the height of the COVID pandemic and AEW’s Youtube show Dark has transitioned from fun midcard matches to an endless parade of jobber squashes. While the attempts to provide work to all of Florida’s indy scene are laudable it’s not exactly riveting television. So when Shawn Spears was announced to be facing some guy I’d never heard of it didn’t register for a second. Then the random guy posted this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4hn9T2BR3w

The second I saw this video I said that TK needed to sign this guy up. I hadn’t even seen him wrestle, it didn’t even matter. This was a gimmick that was so on point with charisma, humour and unlike any of the other rappers that wrestling has seen over the years, genuine bars. This was something you could drop into Dynamite and it would be an immediate hit. Fortunately Tony agreed and got Max a contract, paired him up with Bowens and as already discussed everything clicked. The Acclaimed were a must-watch from day one. Even when I didn’t give a single gently caress about Dark I would still be sure to check out their entrance rap just for the latest dunks on whichever jobbers they were facing (miss you Rome Hat!) Over the last two years they have grown so much adding more and more to their act. Their match at All Out was one of the highlights of the year, a beautiful moment where you can see two men realise they’re stars in real time. In a year where AEW’s storylines were understandably chaotic and messy due to outside circumstances the Acclaimed were a consistent highlight and their title reign has been so very heart-warming. It’s rare to come in on someone on the ground floor and to watch them rise all the way to the top but Max Caster gave me that feeling and for that he is my… wait, he’s my #2? drat, what the hell could possibly beat this?

Key Matches:

w/ Anthony Bowens vs. Gunn Club, AEW Dynamite, 03/08

w/ Anthony Bowens vs. Swerve In Our Glory, AEW All Out, 04/09

w/ Anthony Bowens vs. FTR, AEW Dynamite, 07/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU90IJN3xfs

=======

1. ZACK SABRE JR.
(Re-Entry)

“100 per cent vegan, George Michael-approved bloody tekkers”

It was going to take something very special to beat the Acclaimed this year. Well it turns out that Zack Sabre Jr. is a very special wrestler. He was for my money the absolute best in the world in 2022. He just did not miss for me this year. Every single big match he had delivered. His New Japan Cup run was one of the top tournament runs in history. Hell, I’m wearing one of my two Zack Sabre Jr. shirts right now as write this. In the ring The Windy Man is just the best technical wrestler in the world, period. Outside the ring he’s an all time promo. He throws the best tantrums in the business, his love for his best friend Taichi is pure and wholesome, his tactical brilliance to outsmart the House with not one but two fake ZSJs is beyond par and his commitment to slagging off the Tory Party even on the grandest stage of the Tokyo Dome is everything I want from a wrestler, nay a human being. The dissolution of Suzuki-gun at the end of the year was sad for a lot of reasons but no moment hit me bigger than Zack’s tearful post-match promo. But endings are just beginnings and between his immediate chemistry with Shane Haste and Mad Mikey and his adoption of his own Young Lion in Kosei Fujita I’m already loving what Zack’s doing in TMDK and I can’t wait to see where he goes now that he is unequivocally a faction ace. He’s already started strong with the NJPW World TV Title but frankly, it’s beneath him. Zack should be right up with the main eventers getting an IWGP World Title reign. He’s the best thing going in wrestling and if you can’t trust me on that then trust George Michael. But none of that’s the reason he’s my #1 this year. Zack single-handedly got me back into New Japan this year meaning that he’s not only responsible for all the great Zack Sabre Jr. moments I saw but every other bit of joy I had with the promotion as well. Zack rekindled my love of puro, now that’s tekkers.

Key Matches:

xvs. Will Ospreay, NJPW New Japan Cup, 21/03

vs. Shingo Takagi, NJPW New Japan Cup, 26/03

Suzuki-gun’s Last Match, NJPW Road to Tokyo Dome, 23/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-QrZB8dfo

Rarity fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 21, 2023

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I can't believe that Rarity can't respect the Princess Road.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Absolutely phenomenal write-up, Rarity, thank you!

Updating thoughts on why your prior Top Ten wrestlers dropped down is a cool idea too, I'm gonna stealtake inspiration from that!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

karmicknight posted:

I can't believe that Rarity can't respect the Princess Road.

Maki is the 4th Pillar, treat her like it :colbert:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Good thinking Rarity, let's see how my 2021 compares

SG Bamboo posted:

10 - Shunma Katsumata (29, DDT) - Still enjoy him, just was trying to diversify and already had a 37K guy
9 - Kenoh (37, NOAH) - Stopped following NOAH as much, Kenoh still rules
8 - Kazuki Hirata (34, DDT) - Now number 10
7 - Seiki Yoshioka (34, NOAH) - Stopped following NOAH, haven't heard anything bad about him so assume he's still cool
6 - MAO (24, DDT) - Now number 4
5 - Yuji Hino (36, DDT) - Now number 6
4 - Katsuhiko Nakajima (33, NOAH) - Stopped following NOAH, still cool as hell but fell off him a lot after he injured Endo and Okada in a two month stretch
3 - Miyu Yamashita (26, TJPW) - Dropped to HM, still very cool but I like Miu a tiny bit more from Teej
2 - YOSHI-HASHI (39, NJPW) - Now number 5, it's taken for granted on these fine forums that he's one of the better members of the roster
1 - Nodoka Tenma (Age Unknown, TJPW) - Retired :cry:

Rarity posted:

Maki is the 4th Pillar, treat her like it :colbert:

She's at the Mizuki tier, which is still a step below Miyu/Shoko/Yuka and Rika

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

raw ritty

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cavauro posted:

raw ritty

There's one wrestler who will never feature in my top 10! :argh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Inspired by Rarity, how my 2021 10 did this time.

forkboy84 posted:

10. Kento Miyahara - Now #1, Up 9. He just rules
9. Takuya Nomura - Now #9, No Move. I love this guy a whole lot.
8. Kenoh - Now #17, Down 9. Honestly, he just wasn't such a focus in NOAH last year, & NOAH can be an infuriating time. I still adore Kenoh.
7. Suzu Suzuki - Now #2, Up 5. Suzu just keeps getting better. The sky is truly the limit for her.
6. Arisa Nakajima - Now #55, Down 49. Not really a fair comparison as she missed a lot of time, but SEAd just kind of had a down year relative to 2021. Still had one of the best matches of 2022 mind.
5. Hiromu Takahashi - Now #64, Down 59. He just really didn't do much last year outside of a Shingo match at the NJ Cup, & BOSJ. I still love Hiromu but I do wonder if he's lost a step. Hope not.
4. Bryan Danielson - Now #93, Down 89. This probably sounds harsh, like I hated his year. But it's just a reflection of me giving up on AEW in May. From that angle it's not a bad performance.
3. Go Shiozaki - Now #23, Down 20. Like I said in my HM write-up, just didn't really do much. There was some good stuff past 1/1/22, don't get me wrong, but he went the last 4 months of the year with no MOTYCs
2. Katsuhiko Nakajima - Now #16, Down 14. Not really a knock on him, I still love Nakajima, probably more than I should. It just wasn't NOAH's year.
1. Shingo Takagi - Now #31, Down 30. This surprised me. Still one of my absolute faves, but New Japan just had him on the backburner after dropping the belt.

I can't do "who improved their position the most" because I didn't keep as anally retentive a spreadsheet in 2021, but only 3 people making my top 10 both years is amusing, though not really notable as I changed how I actually put together the top 10. If I went purely "faves" I think 2022 is a lot closer to 2021. Although how the gently caress would I knock out anyone from my top 10 to make room for Danielson or Nakajima or Nakajima? No clue

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How is anyone else still posting when Rarity used up all the words left in the world

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

every year i look forward to this thread but also this post

:allears:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I checked my entry for last year and I used the "I made sure to catch the end of the Tokyo Princess Cup while on vacation" reasoning two years in a row :laffo:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

I have put zero thought into this, which means my list has just as much weight in the final results as all the people who have written paragraphs.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I think you've discovered democracy

Some people post from the phone, it's hell to type that much

Also I think if I typed out reasonings, I would've been indecisive and probably never settled on a list (I've been regretting not putting ASUKA in my list ever since I hit post)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I thought about typing words but then I remembered that meme where on the left its Triple H ranting for 27 hours in double speed and on the right it's slo-mo Vince flexing and not to say I want to be like Vince but

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Noooo you can’t just write down 10 names this is an important process
:goonsay:

PSP: Haha top 10s goes brrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love to see people give their reasoning and explain why they like the wrestler they've chosen/why they ranked them, plus who they wanted but couldn't fit in etc. But I appreciate everybody who puts together a list, explanations or not, it all helps to show us what the consensus opinion actually is, and the more lists the better.

Speaking of which, anybody reading this who hasn't posted a list yet.... should do so!