Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mayveena posted:

My problem is that even after I seemingly install the pipes nothing works. So clearly I'm somehow installing the pipes wrong, even though it looks like they connect.
You have to click the dial on the pipes/blightrot tab of the building to turn on the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Arcturas posted:

I haven't had a chance to try the new system yet, but I'm a little worried they're also stretching your building labor and staffing labor pretty thin with a new demand like this? Like, I get that I'm not great at the game but I already feel like I never have enough meeples to staff and build everything timely.

(I'm also concerned about the impact on folks who haven't unlocked it yet.)

For what it's worth it doesn't take much to fill up your reservoirs. I plopped someone in a pump for a day or two and it fed a level 2 production boost for at least half of a game. It'd be more of a thing if you had more places using up the water but a +50% production speed bonus will overtake one lost worker, and besides if you are at the point where you can afford multiple sets of pipes you probably have excess population as it is.

Mayveena posted:

My problem is that even after I seemingly install the pipes nothing works. So clearly I'm somehow installing the pipes wrong, even though it looks like they connect.

I'm going to ask a perhaps stupid question

You are installing pipes via the "install pipes" button on the UI for the location, you are not trying to run decorative pipes from the pump to the building, right? You shouldn't see any physical pipes being installed, it's all underground.

That is to say, you hit the button on this tab

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 20, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

- Resolve level is binary, you're either a below zero and in trouble, above the line and collecting rep, or nothing. So don't be afraid to use the favor button to bump someone above a line.
What's "the line", and what's the favor button?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the favor button is the icon of the race in the top left. Click the race to give them +5 resolve and the other races -5 resolve.

The line is the threshold for when resolve is high enough that the species starts giving reputation. Enough reputation points and you win the map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When you expand the detail on a race on the top left of the screen there is a button on the right that allows you to buff that race with +5 resolve at the detriment of -5 for everyone else.

This can bring you over two "lines"; the 0 resolve line where if you fall below it then people will start to leave, or the blue line that is partway up the gauge for resolve which is the point where they start slowly generating reputation. If you hover over their icon it'll also tell you numerically what that line is.

So if you have Humans at 10 resolve you can favor them to bring them up to 15 resolve, which will cause them to start generating reputation (blue bar at bottom). That "line" goes up in requirement every time you get a point in reputation by a set amount.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Its minor, but I really like the (undocumented?) change that there is a little stinger that plays when resolve goes negative and there is a an ongoing noise reminding me to fix it. I've lost more than a people pops from forgetting to juggle resolve after alt tabing.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I've been enjoying the game a lot, but must be missing something. After 4 attempts, I still have yet to win on Viceroy difficulty. It could just be that I'm giving up too easily. Once I start getting resolve issues even during drizzle, and I don't see any path to victory, I just abandon the settlement, collect my meager biscuits, and try again. I think maybe I ought to play some games to the end, even when I'm losing, and get it in my head that a few people leaving isn't the end of the game. Now on top of that, I gotta learn the new rainpunk stuff.

Services are still seeming like a crapshoot to me. The chances of getting industry to reliably produce the scrolls or ale or whatever, and get the right service building in my blueprint pool seem pretty low so far. I'm only level 8 and have a lot to unlock in the meta progression still, though. I'm going to keep playing for a while anyway. It's still fun for now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

skeletronics posted:

I've been enjoying the game a lot, but must be missing something. After 4 attempts, I still have yet to win on Viceroy difficulty. It could just be that I'm giving up too easily. Once I start getting resolve issues even during drizzle, and I don't see any path to victory, I just abandon the settlement, collect my meager biscuits, and try again. I think maybe I ought to play some games to the end, even when I'm losing, and get it in my head that a few people leaving isn't the end of the game. Now on top of that, I gotta learn the new rainpunk stuff.

Services are still seeming like a crapshoot to me. The chances of getting industry to reliably produce the scrolls or ale or whatever, and get the right service building in my blueprint pool seem pretty low so far. I'm only level 8 and have a lot to unlock in the meta progression still, though. I'm going to keep playing for a while anyway. It's still fun for now.

I'd say don't give up unless something has gone very seriously wrong where you're losing a ton of people every storm. You tend to snowball into victory and I pretty consistently fill my discontent bar halfway full before getting a single point in reputation because rep both gives new building and also decreases impatience.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CuddleCryptid posted:

3. Once the pipes are installed you'll get access to two dials. One spends water to increase productivity, one spends it to increase worker resolve. Set those however you want them and it'll feed continuously so long as the global pool of water holds out.

Important to note that the productivity dial feeds continuously even when the building isn't producing due to for example lack of input, workers resting, max outputs reached etc

So if you wanted to fully optimize you could do a hell of a lot more fiddly micromanagement now. This is very bad imo.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 21, 2023

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I was bored with Against the Storm for a long time, but it became interesting when I started thinking about how to win in year 4 at Prestige 20. (I was almost always winning in year 5 recently.) My main idea was to call a trader year 1 and try to fill orders to gain more laborers ASAP. Someone in AtS discord reportedly won in year 4 10% of the time. But the rainpunk update dropped before I got a chance to try. Since it had been on the edge of possibility before, I was expecting the incoming nerf to pipe-less production to make it impossible. But the new population embark bonus more than makes up for that. I think I'd be willing to pay ALL my embark points for +3 population. Instead, it costs 1 or 2 points.

In the following screenshot, 30 seconds before the first group of newcomers (the size of which is based on current population), I have 18 villagers after completing Harpy Resolve and Beaver Resolve orders, partly by trading for Skewers and Biscuits, and partly by abusing favor juggling to the max (because resolve increases faster than it decreases, it's possible to maintain +4ish on two species and −5 on a third, by clicking favor back and forth, an exploit the devs have promised to get rid of, but haven't yet):

At the end of year 2, I have 4 points from orders, 1.25 points from Leaking Cauldron and Destroyed Caravan, and 2.X points from resolve.

The following screenshot is one minute into year 3. I have 19+8 population, and Tavern under construction. I haven't had to think about rainpunk so far because I've had no planks to spare for a pump.

I embarked with the purpose of winning in year 4, but then I changed my mind:

8 points from orders, including Good Friends (not yet delivered in screenshot); last order not available in year 3
1.25 points from Leaking Cauldron and Destroyed Caravan
0.75 points from a medium cache, plus 1 point incoming from a large cache before the end of the storm if the game hadn't ended
a bit more than 1 point each from beavers and lizards
6 points from harpies

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

P20 after year 3? I am shooketh! Nicely done!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

After 3 games of P18 (P19 is just unfun IMO) with the new blightrot and rain engine changes, they are thoroughly meh to me.

Its certainly nice to not have the killer blightrot just for producing anything, so overall the first 2 years are significantly easier now. On full prestige 3 cysts are enough to cause deaths, so you really had to micro what you produce at the start.

I just don't see much call to engage with the rain engine stuff though. In order to boost my production at one building, I'm loosing a full pop gathering water, had to produce pipes, and deal with cysts. I would much rather just add another person to the production building directly or even build another bakery or whatever. The one case where it was nice was for a boosted a ruined alchemist hut where I was limited to just those 2 workers.

edit:
I do wonder if you could game it by turning the engine on just as production completes to get double chance without much blight or water usage.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 21, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just played the new update for the first time and I'm not sure I care for this system; having three separate rain resources (that are collected by geysers in the ground and not from rain) feels needlessly complex.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Important to note that the productivity dial feeds continuously even when the building isn't producing due to for example lack of input, workers resting, max outputs reached etc

So if you wanted to fully optimize you could do a hell of a lot more fiddly micromanagement now. This is very bad imo.

In the livestream where the devs introduced the feature, the devs specifically said that it doesn't because they don't want that kind of fiddly micromanagement, so it shouldn't work that way :confused:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tamba posted:

In the livestream where the devs introduced the feature, the devs specifically said that it doesn't because they don't want that kind of fiddly micromanagement, so it shouldn't work that way :confused:

I see the rain bar running down when the building is idle, and if I turn off the first dial I'm pretty sure it slows down soooo?

Gotta say though, I bought the game on Epic like half a year ago and this is the first major change they've done that I'm not feeling.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Orange Devil posted:

I see the rain bar running down when the building is idle, and if I turn off the first dial I'm pretty sure it slows down soooo?

Gotta say though, I bought the game on Epic like half a year ago and this is the first major change they've done that I'm not feeling.
Give them feedback!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

No water usage. Am I hosed with my 75 water usage order because I'm on pioneer and there's no blight?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

No water usage. Am I hosed with my 75 water usage order because I'm on pioneer and there's no blight?

You have to switch those dials on to use water up

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 21, 2023

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I think the better thing to do is not use copper for pipes and introduce some other resource like "scraps" you could get from any stone, clay, or mine source. That way its way more accessible.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CuddleCryptid posted:

You have to switch those dials on to use water up

Thanks, good to go now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baba Oh Really posted:

I think the better thing to do is not use copper for pipes and introduce some other resource like "scraps" you could get from any stone, clay, or mine source. That way its way more accessible.
For most copper things, including pipes, you can sub in crystalized sparkledew, which is made from sparkledew (free to collect, just takes a dude and a 2x2 building) + clay or stone IIRC. You still need a blueprint for the crystalized brick building though, and now you're collecting water to make bricks to make pipes to allow you to collect water.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 21, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Splicer posted:

For most copper things, including pipes, you can sub in crystalized sparkledew, which is made from sparkledew (free to collect, just takes a dude and a 2x2 building) + clay or stone IIRC. You still need a blueprint for the crystalized brick building though, and now you're collecting water to make bricks to make pipes to allow you to collect water.

Dew, clay/stone, and herbs for some reason to make bars out of dew I think. That it uses stone or clay is why I usually don't use that recipe. Stone is always at a premium for use in roads and bricks. Clay is rare and usually I direct it towards pottery when I find it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Pipes actually made me pick and use the thing that can just grow Crystallized Dew on fertile soil

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So the '+1 <resource> production per 25 harvests' type cornerstones can be good, obviously, but I only recently realized just how good it is, specifically combined with camps and large nodes, since they start at 1 unit per harvest at baseline. A large meat node that would normally give 75 total meat, from 75 harvests at 1 unit of meat each, instead gives 25 x 1 the first go round, then 25 x 2, then 25 x 3, etc. So even one large node gets double effective yield, and if you have multiple large nodes or one of those forbidden glade meganodes, you can get absolutely massive amounts of resources.

I think this one weird trick is going to be something I keep in mind for future games.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

metasynthetic posted:

So the '+1 <resource> production per 25 harvests' type cornerstones can be good, obviously, but I only recently realized just how good it is, specifically combined with camps and large nodes, since they start at 1 unit per harvest at baseline. A large meat node that would normally give 75 total meat, from 75 harvests at 1 unit of meat each, instead gives 25 x 1 the first go round, then 25 x 2, then 25 x 3, etc. So even one large node gets double effective yield, and if you have multiple large nodes or one of those forbidden glade meganodes, you can get absolutely massive amounts of resources.

I think this one weird trick is going to be something I keep in mind for future games.
Yeah the mushroom one is nuts with the greenhouse or mushroom farm cornerstone

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Also fun on the map where trees can drop meat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That can lead to an unexpected death spiral.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, you actually need to be careful with which type of tree you cut down or you can run out of wood because everyone is busy carrying meat around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah, my meat has overshadowed people's wood before.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I still love the visual of someone getting a single chop into a tree before being swept away in projectile torrent of meat.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Just picked up the game, definitely one of the more interesting takes on the genre I've seen in a while. It's a bit much to start with, but was still able to comprehend it well enough to clear my first map on Pioneer, albeit inefficiently and with 4 Impatience bars left.

My three big questions are:

- How bad is the Pioneer > Veteran transition/what should I be aware of? Was considering moving up to Veteran now that I get the game/production chains a bit better, but still only level 4, and people have commented about getting pasted on higher difficulties early in metaprogression due to RNG nonsense.

- How fast should you be opening glades? I feel like I was turtling way more than I should have for the first few years because I was afraid of triggering a Hostility failure cascade, but then I realized everybody was starving because I hadn't expanded into new land. I was able to just farm orders until I burst out near the end to grab some Dangerous Glade events for Reputation, but it feels like you should be having a much more natural rate of expansion.

- Should you always be taking newcomers or is there a point where they're overwhelming your settlement for relatively little gain? This is probably related to the above, since if you have a better food economy it's not as bad of a burden, but I'm curious to know if there's any other circumstances of note.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jossar posted:

Just picked up the game, definitely one of the more interesting takes on the genre I've seen in a while. It's a bit much to start with, but was still able to comprehend it well enough to clear my first map on Pioneer, albeit inefficiently and with 4 Impatience bars left.

- How bad is the Pioneer > Veteran transition/what should I be aware of? Was considering moving up to Veteran now that I get the game/production chains a bit better, but still only level 4, and people have commented about getting pasted on higher difficulties early in metaprogression due to RNG nonsense.

- How fast should you be opening glades? I feel like I was turtling way more than I should have for the first few years because I was afraid of triggering a Hostility failure cascade, but then I realized everybody was starving because I hadn't expanded into new land. I was able to just farm orders until I burst out near the end to grab some Dangerous Glade events for Reputation, but it feels like you should be having a much more natural rate of expansion.

- Should you always be taking newcomers or is there a point where they're overwhelming your settlement for relatively little gain? This is probably related to the above, since if you have a better food economy it's not as bad of a burden, but I'm curious to know if there's any other circumstances of note.

Difficulty levels are very much a gradual increase rather than huge jumps, so if you're winning fine you might as well move up, you can always drop down again.

Opening something like 2-3 of the regular glades or a forbidden/dangerous zone a year is probably a standard pace (at least for early/midgame). For the most part you want to keep opening zones at whatever pace you need to in order to keep up with immigration.

You basically always want to pick up newcomers until you get near the end of the run when you just want to coast through on reputation gain from happiness without having to bother to mess with new people

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 23, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just picked up this game, and I'm obsessed. The various mechanics work together great, and the game pace is just perfect to keep me hooked. I've developed a bad habit of finishing a run and going "okay before I go to bed or do something else, I'm going to just see what the start looks like for the next run" which inevitably leads to a whole game.

I thought that I would be upset about the transient nature of the settlements, but it turns out that actually building the economy seems to be what I liked about these sorts of games in the first place. I do think it would be fun for them to add a special late game mission type to create a permanent settlement that can survive through the blight cycle and act a permanent trade hub.

explosivo posted:

Just played the new update for the first time and I'm not sure I care for this system; having three separate rain resources (that are collected by geysers in the ground and not from rain) feels needlessly complex.

I like the new system over all, but it does seem odd that you collect them from geysers instead of from the rain itself, makes me think the feature may be half implemented right now and the geysers may be temporary.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jossar posted:

Each step up in difficulty is pretty small. If you win, you can probably move up.

At lower difficulty you can be very aggressive with opening glades. Turn off your woodcutters during the storm until hostility is manageable. At viceroy through prestige 20, I rush a dangerous glade the first year and then chill through year 2. By the end of the second drizzle, you’ll have 3 easy orders, your two or three starting blueprints, the contents of that dangerous glade, two cornerstones, and order 4 and 5 available. That should be enough information to give you a direction in the game.

I find the games I lose are ones I don’t commit to a direction early and instead just faff around.Then all of a sudden it’s year 5 and I only have 5 reputation, none of my blueprints synergize and no way to keep resolve up during the storm.

I don’t take newcomers during the storm unless I can afford the hostility hit immediately. Usually means dropping a woodcutter or two if I do. Labor is usually my scarcest resource though. So I rarely pass completely unless the game is already won. You do have to be careful about growing too fast initially though. If you pick all orders that give population and turn them all in right away, you can have 25+ people in the second storm and no way to drop down to manageable hostility.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talorat posted:

Just picked up this game, and I'm obsessed. The various mechanics work together great, and the game pace is just perfect to keep me hooked. I've developed a bad habit of finishing a run and going "okay before I go to bed or do something else, I'm going to just see what the start looks like for the next run" which inevitably leads to a whole game.

I thought that I would be upset about the transient nature of the settlements, but it turns out that actually building the economy seems to be what I liked about these sorts of games in the first place.
One of us one of us one of us

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jossar posted:

It's not a big leap, and it's never too early to give it a shot. The RNG is more about the citadel progression than level - in fact it's kind of the opposite because more levels means more blueprints means a swingier pool (compensated by more blueprints equals more things providing any one recipe). If it's something you're worried about you can reduce the pool by focusing your citadel upgrades on getting the species houses as essential buildings (far right node of the upgrade tree I think?). Unlocking the first hearth upgrade and traders should also be priorities because they're both nails.

Jossar posted:

Depends on the map. I generally don't Starr poking into glades until year 2 and I'll usually wait until I get my first orders in case there's some easy "Open Glades" options. Dangerous glades give you more stuff per hostility point so it's down to if you feel comfy you can deal with the events. A good rule of thumb is to only open safe glades that are geographically useful to dangerous glades. The amount of "safe" hostility is heavily dependent on your storm events, available morale boosters, abundance of coal and wood for the hearth etc.

Jossar posted:

Always at the beginning and middle, towards the end you might just want to coast through on morale to wrap up a map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

For timing when to get more pawns/glades/etc I kind of go off the general wisdom of "when you need it".

If you pop open your first dangerous glade and it has the resources you need for your current level of industry then there's no need to open more, just set your lumberjacks to avoid glades and make space. If your buildings are sufficiently staffed then you're bringing pawns in just to make the material they need to support themselves. There's always room for building stock, but if you are at a stable position then adding hostility unnecessarily isn't usually the best idea.

The biggest need for pawns usually comes down to when you either are starting a new industry or if you get service buildings that require 3 pawns for a perk.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Had my eye on this for a while, finally got it this weekend. After installing I somehow time traveled until like 2 in the morning, which is sort of what I was afraid of. I've played a decent number of city builders but am a serial restarter because I tend to enjoy the early game the most, so this is one of those games that feels like it is targeting me specifically.

I dont have complex strategic thoughts yet since I'm only in my life, 3rd run after the tutorial I do think the onboarding experience could use another pass before early access ends.

The main thing is that there is stuff in the game that is not signposted at all that you simply do not have access to yet and no way to know without scrounging through unlocked blueprints and such.

Geysers are an example - in an early game I made a big effort to get some pipes going so I could build a collector without understanding I hadn't even unlocked the feature in the meta progression until I finished that game and looked up the tree. That specifically deserves a 'you need to unlock this in the citadel, don't worry about it yet' in the info panel.

As a newbie, I don't know what higher level needs I can satisfy because I have no ways to even potentially make the requirements. Don't offer me a thing that does religion when there's not even the potential blueprint in the deck for something that makes incense, or at least point that out somehow. There's a list in a tooltip of buildings that can make a given thing, maybe just grey out the ones not unlocked meta side? Highlight the ones you've actually grabbed in a given game?

Would it make things too easy to have a control panel that lists things you have access to and not? Particularly when choosing blueprints, it's a challenge when new to recall offhand every building I have unlocked in a particular game, especially because games are relatively short so there can be bleed over from the last one memory wise. I want a thing that pops out and notes all the things I could potentially create in the buildings I have unlocked. Not necessarily the base requirements, just remind me that oh yes I have something that can make flour. If there's a menu for this already I dunno where it is.

Knowing what you can make and have access to is a big part of the game, but it's a bit frustrating as a learning experience.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 23, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I also time-travelled last night to 2am.

I'm starting to understand things a bit more, but there are few things giving me trouble:

- It seems like all the maps I've played on so far have the same resources. None of them had any copper, so I couldn't create tools, which are required for most caches and certain dangerous glade events. I always had to take them as rewards for quests, because I couldn't find any other way to get them. I guess the available resources get more varied as you move further away from the citadel?

- It's hard to tell what a given resource is being used for. For example, let's say I'm low on clay. I'm probably making bricks and pottery, but it's tough to tell how much is being used in which building to make what. I know I can turn off specific good production at each building, but it's hard to quickly figure out how and where things are being used. Is there something I'm missing? I think Anno 1800 spoiled me with its production overview screen.

- It's weird that some of the Cornerstone bonuses rely on things I don't have unlocked yet. I don't seem to have Trading available, but a bunch of the bonuses relate to Trading. There's also one that says "+50% production speed, but no Trading". That seems pretty great if you don't have Trading anyway!

- Resolve is kind of hard to figure out. I can see the Storm penalties and other effects, but sometimes the number just goes up or down without me really understanding why. I try to make sure everyone is fed, has housing (race-specific for late-game), and leisure on maps where it's viable. I've only hit the "blue zone" a couple of times though, even with a lot of race-specific housing.

Anyway, this game is super fun and is going to disappear a lot of hours from my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

I also time-travelled last night to 2am.

I'm starting to understand things a bit more, but there are few things giving me trouble:

- It seems like all the maps I've played on so far have the same resources. None of them had any copper, so I couldn't create tools, which are required for most caches and certain dangerous glade events. I always had to take them as rewards for quests, because I couldn't find any other way to get them. I guess the available resources get more varied as you move further away from the citadel?

- It's hard to tell what a given resource is being used for. For example, let's say I'm low on clay. I'm probably making bricks and pottery, but it's tough to tell how much is being used in which building to make what. I know I can turn off specific good production at each building, but it's hard to quickly figure out how and where things are being used. Is there something I'm missing? I think Anno 1800 spoiled me with its production overview screen.

- Resolve is kind of hard to figure out. I can see the Storm penalties and other effects, but sometimes the number just goes up or down without me really understanding why. I try to make sure everyone is fed, has housing (race-specific for late-game), and leisure on maps where it's viable. I've only hit the "blue zone" a couple of times though, even with a lot of race-specific housing.

Anyway, this game is super fun and is going to disappear a lot of hours from my life.

To hit these in order

- On the embark screen you can see the resources that should be available in the selected biome; if there's no copper for the biome it shouldn't show up at all. But if you have rock then you can make rain bars instead.

- To help with overproduction you can set the global limit on production for something by clicking on the icon for the product in the window or via one of the menu tabs. If you set the limit on pottery low then you won't have workers making new pottery til it gets consumed. It's kind of a stopgap but it can work out. Just bear in mind that the limit number in individual buildings will override the global limit if you change it there.

- The resolution hits can be seen in the summary screen on the top left for each race; you'll notice that things that require production like complex foods can vary a lot if you're eating up the products as they come out and the value fluctuates between the max value and lesser ones. But also, the right hand side of that window has icons for "everything else" positive and negative modifiers. These can be helpful for when you cross over to a new hostility level and activate a new problem without realizing it.