Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

quote:

Surprisingly, we find that over the past several decades, average mid-life body weights have risen among primates and rodents living in research colonies, as well as among feral rodents and domestic dogs and cats.

Dogs are fatter nowadays then when people were dirt farmers?? Surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Klyith posted:

Neat. A study that doesn't even make a specific claim or conclusion of its own, and suggests two factors that are not ultra processed foods. That's not even good enough for some partial credit effort points.

OTOH I guess the values for those originally come from calorimeter (burning) and aren't adjusted for true net food energy. So for relevance to this thread, protein costs more energy during digestion than carbs. Thus a controlled diet of X nutritional-label calories could produce different weight gain-or-loss results depending if it was high protein or high carbs.

Oh that makes sense. That's why it's "net carbs", not "net calories" -- because it's already accounted for. Good to lnow

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Klyith posted:

Do you happen to be able to point to the "lab animals on same-calorie diet, ultra-processed vs natural" results?

Not that I'm 100% disagreeing that ultra-processed foods are bad, but most everything I've seen on the subject says that the biggest issue is that these foods make it extremely easy to eat a far higher calorie diet. They're more calorie dense, faster to eat, and fight against satiation. 2000 calories of unprocessed food is a full 3 meals and a snack. 2000 calories of mcdonalds is lunch.

A good example is this NIH study where people eating the processed foods ate about 500 more calories, completely naturally.

How many calories are in a food's standard nutritional profile is already adjusted for ease of digestion / how much energy you are typically able to extract, so the uranium thing is just wrong.

I enjoy pendantry and technically correctism as much as the next person, but this agrees with the point I am trying to make badly here: These two calories aren't the same, and by your own admission here are not the same. You even mention fight satiation in your description of results for eating one thing and not another beyond calorie counts. If I eat 2000 calories of poo poo loving food and it turns out in some way those calories trick my body, and make it extremely easy to overeat other things while I am trying not to, that is fundamentally different then eating stuff that doesn't gently caress with my signaling pathways. It doesn't matter what the caloric measure of those foods are in terms of actual results and actions. They are clearly, even in those studies, showing you that they have implications for weight gain beyond mere CICO. We've been running a CICO model of weight-loss guidance for how long with an only increasing obesity profile cross culturally.

In fact: https://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1050.full

quote:

The history of obesity research is a history of two competing hypotheses. Gary Taubes argues that the wrong hypothesis won out and that it is this hypothesis, along with substandard science, that has exacerbated the obesity crisis and the related chronic diseases. If we are to make any progress, he says, we have to look again at what really makes us fat

Since the 1950s, the conventional wisdom on obesity has been simple: it is fundamentally caused by or results from a net positive energy balance—another way of saying that we get fat because we overeat. We consume more energy than we expend. The conventional wisdom has also held, however, that efforts to cure the problem by inducing undereating or a negative energy balance—either by counselling patients to eat less or exercise more—are remarkably ineffective.

Put these two notions together and the result should be a palpable sense of cognitive dissonance. Take, for instance, The Handbook of Obesity, published in 1998 and edited by three of the most influential authorities in the field. “Dietary therapy,” it says, “remains the cornerstone of treatment and the reduction of energy intake continues to be the basis of successful weight reduction programs.” And yet it simultaneously describes the results of such dietary therapy as “poor and not long-lasting.”1

Rather than resolve this dissonance by questioning our beliefs about the cause of obesity, the tendency is to blame the public (and obese patients implicitly) for not faithfully following our advice. And we embrace the relatively new assumption that obesity must be a multifactorial and complex disorder. This makes our failures to either treat the disorder or rein in the burgeoning epidemics of obesity worldwide somehow understandable, acceptable.

Here is another one the thread will love titled
"The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity: Beyond ‘Calories In, Calories Out’"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6082688/

quote:

According to an alternative view, changes in dietary quality since the 1970s produce hormonal responses that shift the “partitioning” of calories (metabolic fuels) consumed in a meal toward deposition in fat tissue.3–5 Consequently, fewer calories remain available in the blood stream for use by the rest of the body, driving hunger and overeating. Importantly, this model considers fat cells as central to the etiology of obesity, not passive storage sites of calorie excess.

Basically stop trying to calorie count fast food. You won't be successful losing weight if you continue to eat poo poo, even if you try to eat less poo poo overall.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Shut the gently caress up

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm glad someone is here to take on the real lies: fat people don't actually eat more food, they just eat the wrong food!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The carbohydrate-insulin people have spend their careers backpedaling until their claims were consistent with total energy balance, without ever admitting they were wrong outright. I will not relitigate every point of that history with you in this thread because I have better things to do with my life such as hitting my dick with a hammer

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm glad someone is here to take on the real lies: fat people don't actually eat more food, they just eat the wrong food!

i mean like, yeah, some of them
can i offer you another mt dew?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I did keto for a while and I still cut carbs for competitions and stuff and I don't think it's that bad if you're actually eating 2000 calories a day and working out, but less so if you're treating it like you have carte blanche to eat as much as you want all the time and never go outside

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
We don't know poo poo about food and our bodies, clearly. We think we have it figured out every 10 years but it is always wrong

Eat consistently and like your oldest and healthiest relative, pretty sure that's the best tact you can really take

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
wow when did Khan Academy get so dank?

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...a/carbohydrates

E: I missed a gem here. This should be on a plaque.

Konar posted:

We don't know poo poo about food and our bodies, clearly. We think we have it figured out every 10 years but it is always wrong

Eat consistently and like your oldest and healthiest relative, pretty sure that's the best tact you can really take

Decedent fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 6, 2023

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Konar posted:

My only living grandparent has horrible GI issues that she acquired probably in the famine while living under Nazi occupation, do I emulate her diet pls help

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Here is another one the thread will love titled
"The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity: Beyond ‘Calories In, Calories Out’"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6082688/

My dude you have just produced a study that says carbs & processed foods make you want to eat more calories, which is the exact same thing I said. This one is just identifying a specific hypothesis for why, rather than looking at observed behavior.

I'll happily admit that calories in calories out is not a good method for practical weight control without dietary changes in the vast majority of people. I'm pretty mystified why you think I disagree, but hey if you really need the win take it!

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
how does she feel about black coffee and burnt toast?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

If I eat 2000 calories of poo poo loving food and it turns out in some way those calories trick my body, and make it extremely easy to overeat other things while I am trying not to, that is fundamentally different then eating stuff that doesn't gently caress with my signaling pathways. It doesn't matter what the caloric measure of those foods are in terms of actual results and actions.

that's not true, though. you ate 2000 calories of poo poo that didn't make you full, so then you go and eat 2000 more, so at the end of the day the actual caloric measure of those foods is actually the thing that matters at far as how much fat you ended up putting on

of COURSE you want to make it easier on yourself, by choosing to take in those initial 2000 calories in a form that makes you satiated for a long time so you don't even think about eating more afterwards. of COURSE you have to play the game with your brain and your hormones and signaling pathways and whatever. both things are true! the caloric measure of the foods you eat matters, and the way you eat in terms of feeling satiated or not is how you accomplish that without being absolutely miserable and starving all day

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
OP is doing the exact same thing as the authors of those papers. They started off as CICO denying kooks but were proven wrong again and again so they just backpedaling and changing their narrative until it's consistent with CICO.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. That's it. There are many many ways to do that. I could eat nothing but Big Macs for meals and I can lose weight.

how does that work?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
How bout you just go to the gym and eat healthy

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

i must compose posted:

Never

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I personally am immune to the laws of entropy and thermodynamics. Take that, caloriecels.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
can't spell 'diet' without 'die'

anyone made this joke yet? i just skipped to the end of the thread lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

how does that work?

Simple: you eat 1 big mac for breakfast (600 cal) and 1 big mac combo (1000 cal) for dinner. At lunchtime you have methamphetamines (0 cal). Guaranteed weight loss!

Or maybe not, some people say it's not possible to lose weight eating a diet of ultra-processed foods. Maybe a side-effect of meth addiction is you get really into veggies, whole meats, and unprocessed grains?

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Simple: you eat 1 big mac for breakfast (600 cal) and 1 big mac combo (1000 cal) for dinner. At lunchtime you have methamphetamines (0 cal). Guaranteed weight loss!

the best diet is the one you can stick to imo

naem
May 29, 2011

i must compose posted:

madness

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
protip: if you're struggling with fat loss and having trouble sticking to your diet, search your local Facebook for 'human centipedes in my area.' If you can find a centipede where the first person in the line is skinny and doesn't eat a lot, just hook up on the end and you'll be all set.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
when I want to lose weight I skip lunch and when I don't want to lose weight I eat lunch and it has worked for 20 years

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I did it and I lost weight and my cholesterol stayed exactly the same, super low. I’m just a genetic freak like that though, I will never develop plaque in my arteries, my brother who’s a health nut and exercises has super high LDL and I eat and exercise like a medieval king and my cholesterol is great. Genetics are cruel. Anyway, if you eat fewer calories than you expend you will lose weight, hth.

Also I eat Stink Billyums lunch when he skips it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Medieval kings aren't well known for their exercise regime, mostly just being fat and inbred.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Medieval kings aren't well known for their exercise regime, mostly just being fat and inbred.

Yeah I know I exercise just like one.

Edit: by that I mean sometimes I use my legs instead of a sedan chair. Mostly sedan chair though.

To be clear i am not on any form of diet right known nor am i advocating for any diet or weight loss system, other than cutting your arms and legs off. IT loving WORKS, PROVE THAT IT DOESN’T.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 6, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Turn yourself into brain inna jar for maximum weight loss :D

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Turn yourself into brain inna jar for maximum weight loss :D

Oh god It’s been my dream since childhood

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Stink Billyums posted:

when I want to lose weight I skip lunch and when I don't want to lose weight I eat lunch and it has worked for 20 years

For me, beer is the deciding factor on whether or not I gain weight or not. If I really wanted to be svelte I would abstain completely but I'm content in the 2 a day range.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I keep the weight off by exercising and eating relatively healthy, but I also do not drink at all so that contributes something to. Just quit drinking you'll probably lose weight.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I can't lose weight because I'm addicted to breakfast cereal.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but no way that the dog didn't die happy. Also what the gently caress when did this happen.

5? 10? years ago in the YLLS Keto thread, I think they closed it because so many health problems.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

5? 10? years ago in the YLLS Keto thread, I think they closed it because so many health problems.

Goddamn. Isn't that also the thread the 23 year old had to go on statins.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

kntfkr posted:

This is a pretty good reason, imo.
Especially if they're Oh's.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

kntfkr posted:

which one is the best?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Stink Billyums posted:

which one is the best?

Shredded wheat, Weetabix and Wheat Puffs

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I had to go out and get a steak with a wedge of gorgonzola because of this thread.
My dinner included red wine.
It's keto I'm gonna lose weight now.

Actually I gotta add to this, when done at all right keto lowers blood cholesterol, if you cheat or cant get yourself going it's really loving bad though.
You don't have to eat clean keto, though I would if I ever did it. I mean your brain is made out of fat so you need high quality oils like that coconut mct oil, even prime cornfed beef isnt as good as grass fed.
Prime tastes better though, this steak I just had was store quality select from the butchers' counter, gotta go to church if you want a big pack of prime new yorks.
You know I went to the co recently and got a pack of shabu shabu thin sliced new york and they didnt cut the drat strap off of it. boo i say

You still have to count calories and eat cruciferous vegetables which is why riced cauliflower is a thing at all.
I would say that most people like myself would prefer intermittent cocaine bingeing to lose weight.

Decedent fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

All fat people should carve the excess flesh from their forms with a scythe. That's my plan. So what if I'm going to use my last iota of strength to climb onto the scale and let a trim 135 be the last thing I see before dying of shock and massive blood loss?