Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He'd make sense on there, tho

Trojan horse, it'd still blow up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love that the dude breaking his hand punching a wall is the least covered part of the Timberwolves situation right now

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Please change my username to repeatedly.

I love the NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Harlock posted:

Not counting pick swaps, but pure picks, Gobert seems kind of funny in the context of this list I hastily looked up and put together

Players Traded for Multiple 1st Rounders

Two First Rounders
James Harden (BKN to PHI)
James Harden (OKC to HOU)
Malcolm Brogdon (MIL to IND)
Tobias Harris (LAC to PHI)
Russell Westbrook (OKC to HOU)

Three First Rounders
Anthony Davis (NO to LAL)
James Harden (HOU to BKN)
Jrue Holiday (NO to MIL)
Donovan Mitchell (UTA to CLE)

Four First Rounders
Rudy Gobert (UTA to MIN)
Kevin Durant (BKN to PHX)

Five First Rounders
Paul George (OKC to LAC)

(Also I just wanted to list James Harden multiple times)

One thing that isn't listed here is guaranteed years. MN overpaid for Gobert, for sure, but one of the reasons why is because Gobert had 3+1 years under contract. All the guys with 4 or 5 FRP had long contracts, which increases the value considerably, especially for a team like MN who is a long way from guaranteeing someone will re-sign. Also some of those trades came with some really good players being sent the other way.

pentyne posted:

I love that the dude breaking his hand punching a wall is the least covered part of the Timberwolves situation right now

Its really the most painful part of this whole thing.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

pentyne posted:

At least when LeBron did it it was almost understandable. This is just an implosion.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch

Repeatedly

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Lockback posted:

Gobert had 3+1 years under contract. … which increases the value considerably,

incredible thread value

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Metapod posted:

the timberwolves understood that anderson called gobert a "bitch" repeatedly

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Have you ever met Rudy Gobert
He's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world
He's a mean little bitch
If there ever was a bitch
He's a bitch to all the ~boys and girls~

[Shut your loving mouth, Kyle!]

On the street he's a bitch
In the press he's a bitch
In the locker room and warm-ups he's a bitch
Then on game night
Just to be different
He's a super King Kamehameha beeyotch!

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2023

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I'll admit it, my biggest prediction whiff of the season was thinking the Gobert trade would be amazing for the Wolves. KAT being out for so long certainly hasn't helped things, but he (Gobert) doesn't seem to be raising their defense nearly as much as I assumed he would.

Part of it is that KAT actually wasn't particularly bad on defense last year. They moved him out of drop coverage and had him playing a high wall, which particularly worked for the more aggressive ballhawking scheme they ran.

The thing they needed was a point guard. They realized this WAY too late and had to settle for Conley.

Even despite all that's happening, though, I'm predicting the Lakers blow this play-in game in hilarious fashion.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Kyle Anderson mumbling to Gobert for weeks, "bitch says what?"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

maruhkati posted:

Part of it is that KAT actually wasn't particularly bad on defense last year. They moved him out of drop coverage and had him playing a high wall, which particularly worked for the more aggressive ballhawking scheme they ran.

The thing they needed was a point guard. They realized this WAY too late and had to settle for Conley.

Even despite all that's happening, though, I'm predicting the Lakers blow this play-in game in hilarious fashion.

I expect the Lakers to win, but their perimeter defense has been pretty bad the last few games. I dont know if it just Last-Day-of-School-Itis or injuries or what, but they've been giving up a lot of easy layups and drives recently. Its probably made worse by how small they are the moment AD sits since Wenyen has a rough time when he cant be used as an energy switcher and has to actually try to defend the paint

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

predicto posted:

I will not stand for this Kevon Looney erasure.

He plays 20 minutes a game but grabbed more offensive rebounds than anyone in the league this year. He sets great screens, and is one of the best big men at switching and sticking with guards on the perimeter and not falling for pump fakes.

Most people don't know that he was Lebron-lite in high school, a 6'9" point forward with handles who dished 7 assists a game, before he went to UCLA and they broke his body into little pieces. He has salvaged an NBA career by totally remaking his game within his new physical limitations.

More importantly, he is a beautiful human being, one of the least arrogant, most likeable players in the entire league. Even people who loathe the Warriors like Kevon Looney.

TY.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Blind Pineapple posted:

Kobe gets a lot of poo poo here because he has a lot of extremely annoying fans that make ridiculous claims like he's easily better than LeBron or equal to Jordan, but he was pretty much a perfect guard for 2000s basketball. When you compare him to other guards that got a lot of hype from that time frame like AI, T-Mac, or Vince, you can see why one might view Kobe has head and shoulders above. There is definitely something to be said for his consistency over a high volume of minutes year after year, even if his efficiency isn't impressive by modern standards. Volume scoring was a highly-valued trait back then, and he was the best at it. I have no doubt that if Kobe started playing in the last 5 years, he would've learned to shoot 3s better, driven more, been more selective with his mid-range, and still be a top 5 player.

As for Jaylen Brown, I had him as my most overrated in the preseason poll but after watching him play more this year, I was definitely in the wrong. I actually think he could have a James Harden like career arc if he went to a team where he was the clear #1.

There are quite a bit of NBA fans who will say Kobe is a top 5 all time player lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1645483372326658055?s=20

Dying at how this tweet is written

the Timberwolves understood that Kyle Anderson called him a bitch repeatedly, lmao

I wonder if he just slams these things out or spends like 20 minutes workshopping them

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Glumslinger posted:

I expect the Lakers to win, but their perimeter defense has been pretty bad the last few games. I dont know if it just Last-Day-of-School-Itis or injuries or what, but they've been giving up a lot of easy layups and drives recently. Its probably made worse by how small they are the moment AD sits since Wenyen has a rough time when he cant be used as an energy switcher and has to actually try to defend the paint

The line moved from -1.5 to -7.5 when they announced Gobert is out.

I think that's a dramatic move but it definitely hurts them. I am debating if I want to change my prediction pick before tipoff.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Maestro posted:

@MagicJohnson: Kyle Anderson had 8 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal and 2 blocks in a must win victory against the Pelicans. Cookie and I understand he called Gobert a “bitch” repeatedly.

Redeye Flight posted:

Have you ever met Rudy Gobert
He's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world
He's a mean little bitch
If there ever was a bitch
He's a bitch to all the ~boys and girls~

[Shut your loving mouth, Kyle!]

On the street he's a bitch
In the press he's a bitch
In the locker room and warm-ups he's a bitch
Then on game night
Just to be different
He's a super King Kamehameha beeyotch!

God bless these forums 🙏

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lockback posted:

The line moved from -1.5 to -7.5 when they announced Gobert is out.

I think that's a dramatic move but it definitely hurts them. I am debating if I want to change my prediction pick before tipoff.

Yeah, the Lakers are exactly the sort of team that you want to have Gobert against. Making them shoot from the perimeter is the key to beating them. Otherwise AD and Bron will notch 70 paint points and that will be that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

xbilkis posted:

The use of the word "repeatedly" in that Woj tweet deserves a Pulitzer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, the Lakers are exactly the sort of team that you want to have Gobert against. Making them shoot from the perimeter is the key to beating them. Otherwise AD and Bron will notch 70 paint points and that will be that.

Right, especially with McDaniels out to slow down their perimeter guys. Wolves defense is still ok, but it's a real problem.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lockback posted:

Right, especially with McDaniels out to slow down their perimeter guys. Wolves defense is still ok, but it's a real problem.
Definitely makes the NAW acquisition huge.

Lockback posted:

one of the reasons why is because Gobert had 3+1 years under contract. All the guys with 4 or 5 FRP had long contracts, which increases the value considerably, especially for a team like MN who is a long way from guaranteeing someone will re-sign.
Yup. This gets underrated by most of the discourse.

ETA:
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1645524574304436249
:eyepop:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Blind Pineapple posted:

Kobe gets a lot of poo poo here because he has a lot of extremely annoying fans that make ridiculous claims like he's easily better than LeBron or equal to Jordan, but he was pretty much a perfect guard for 2000s basketball. When you compare him to other guards that got a lot of hype from that time frame like AI, T-Mac, or Vince, you can see why one might view Kobe has head and shoulders above. There is definitely something to be said for his consistency over a high volume of minutes year after year, even if his efficiency isn't impressive by modern standards. Volume scoring was a highly-valued trait back then, and he was the best at it. I have no doubt that if Kobe started playing in the last 5 years, he would've learned to shoot 3s better, driven more, been more selective with his mid-range, and still be a top 5 player.

As for Jaylen Brown, I had him as my most overrated in the preseason poll but after watching him play more this year, I was definitely in the wrong. I actually think he could have a James Harden like career arc if he went to a team where he was the clear #1.

Sure, Kobe is a legit hall of famer from a time when volume scoring was more significant. He stayed healthy forever, played great defense early in his career, and had many great highlight moments. Plus rings, Ernuh. He's a top 20 player all time.

However, fact remains that Kobe won scoring titles by taking more shots than anyone else year after year at league average efficiency, and he missed over 1000 more shots than any player in history. If you sent Jaylen Brown back in time and gave him Kobe's green light to dominate the ball and the Laker hype machine, I'm not convinced there would be that significant of a difference in his career (if he could stay healthy like Kobe did).

predicto fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 10, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, I mean, in an era of chuckers, Kobe was the best of them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

water wet
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1645453800818323459

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

predicto posted:

Sure, Kobe is a legit hall of famer from a time when volume scoring was more significant. He stayed healthy forever, played great defense early in his career, and had many great highlight moments. Plus rings, Ernuh. He's a top 20 player all time.

However, fact remains that Kobe won scoring titles by taking more shots than anyone else year after year at league average efficiency, and he missed over 1000 more shots than any player in history. If you sent Jaylen Brown back in time and gave him Kobe's green light to dominate the ball and the Laker hype machine, I'm not convinced there would be that significant of a difference in his career (if he could stay healthy like Kobe did).

just lmao

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Paracaidas posted:

Definitely makes the NAW acquisition huge.

Yup. This gets underrated by most of the discourse.

ETA:
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1645524574304436249
:eyepop:

Real “Will-E Coyote painting a tunnel on a cliff face” vibe

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jaden with real Tesla energy

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it's the sneakers that complete it

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I forgot that Gobert also shut down the NBA 3 years ago so LeBron could rest and win the Bubble Ring.

Thank you Gobert, I'm sure the Lakers will retire an honorary jersey for you in a few years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

predicto posted:

The one thing that Kobe had that no one else had was the cold calculating brand sense that allowed him to rape a woman and go through a very public trial and still have a whole career’s worth of play after that made him into the Black Mamba and made a generation of kids want to yell “Kobe” when they made every shot they took, well-chosen or not

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what do you all expect. his name isn't politey

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

predicto posted:

I don't rate Kobe much, but Brown has nowhere near the footwork and shot creation Kobe did.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

predicto posted:

For one thing, pre-injury Kobe was almost indisputably a better one-on-one defender than Brown. Also, Brown is more of (if not exclusively) a catch-and-shoot guy, whereas Kobe was doing 1-on-1 ISO stuff all the time. It's a different degree of difficulty. Part of the reason Brown is efficient is that he can rely on Tatum to be the primary threat; Brown also isn't hounded by the opponent's most elite defensive stopper for the entire course of every game. I say this as a confirmed Kobe Hater.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wouldn't put Kobe in the hall of fame

Shinjobi's basketball hall of fame, that is. It's only got two entries, Hakeem Olajuwon and Dirk Nowitzki. Apparently even I need to see a ring before I'll consider you.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:discourse:
https://twitter.com/DUNKC0MP/status/1645475006976253952?s=20
My fave player in the league rn other than Slo Mo. Just art

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

drat, can't wait for them to decide to do something, anything at all about that, five years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Can we put Beal and Dame on same team for max super max complaining?