Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Saalkin posted:

Hitchhikers guide to my balls

complete with microscope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah it's just pseudointellectual masturbation

I'm cool with a bit of that. Like, a lot of new wave sci-fi and post-punk and weirdo 70s cinema is exactly that and it's great, but Hitchhikers always felt like obnoxious engineer humour to me.

It's this strain of humour where everyone is stupid and the world is nonsensically bureaucratic except for engineers who can just make things work because they are so smart. It feels kind of misanthropic and often a little elitist to me, like there's a real contempt for common people in there and it seems to break their brains that life might be inherently chaotic and meaningless, but that's not necessarily bad.

I think its a bit distinct from neckbeard humour, which in my head I imagine to be something like Robot Chicken, I always associate it more with pub bores and e-mail pedants.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 1, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Disco Pope posted:

It's this strain of humour where everyone is stupid and the world is nonsensically bureaucratic except for engineers who can just make things work because they are so smart. It feels kind of misanthropic and often a little elitist to me, like there's a real contempt for common people in there and it seems to break their brains that life might be inherently chaotic and meaningless, but that's not necessarily bad.

See: Dilbert

naem
May 29, 2011

part of the issue was that in the very recent past, the only people with the time, education, opportunity and cultural inclination to read or write were white male engineering types

so humor poking fun at the how the world doesn稚 make much sense is going to be from that perspective and it痴 going to be biased because the author only knows their own experiences enough to write about

then the one or two actually good fun things ever written get quoted nonstop

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hammerite posted:

you're not meant to laugh out loud at it, you're meant to puff on your pipe and go hmm, yes... very droll

Oh yeah I see the problem now: I don't smoke a pipe.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

People worried about folks who enjoy H2G2 but there are still anime freaks out there smdh

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

naem posted:

part of the issue was that in the very recent past, the only people with the time, education, opportunity and cultural inclination to read or write were white male engineering types

so humor poking fun at the how the world doesn’t make much sense is going to be from that perspective and it’s going to be biased because the author only knows their own experiences enough to write about

then the one or two actually good fun things ever written get quoted nonstop

I think a lot of humour is based around absurdity or things being wrong. That's fine! As toddlers, it's loving hilarious when someone puts a shoe on their head or whatever - the absolute madman!

I think when it grates is when it's combined with this kind of middle-class, English befuddlement that seems to imply that everything would make sense if only a "man like me who drinks pints of bitter and listens to Yes was in charge". I think Brazil is a film that actually does the whole satirical buearacratic dystopia thing really well, but there's this whole subgenre about being mad about forms and I just think "sometimes motorways or post offices are planned badly or whatever, yeah, just loving deal with it gently caress"

naem
May 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

I think a lot of humour is based around absurdity or things being wrong. That's fine! As toddlers, it's loving hilarious when someone puts a shoe on their head or whatever - the absolute madman!

I think when it grates is when it's combined with this kind of middle-class, English befuddlement that seems to imply that everything would make sense if only a "man like me who drinks pints of bitter and listens to Yes was in charge". I think Brazil is a film that actually does the whole satirical buearacratic dystopia thing really well, but there's this whole subgenre about being mad about forms and I just think "sometimes motorways or post offices are planned badly or whatever, yeah, just loving deal with it gently caress"

I think Douglas Adams makes fun of himself and his own social demographic pretty well too personally

he痴 also attempting to reach an audience of middle class etc etc readers to point out that hey, their perspective on life doesn稚 make much sense either

there are def bad actors out there who don稚 pick up on any progressive themes hidden in the humor and those are usually the ones quoting the hardest unfortunately

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

naem posted:

I think Douglas Adams makes fun of himself and his own social demographic pretty well too personally

he’s also attempting to reach an audience of middle class etc etc readers to point out that hey, their perspective on life doesn’t make much sense either

there are def bad actors out there who don’t pick up on any progressive themes hidden in the humor and those are usually the ones quoting the hardest unfortunately

That's cool to hear. I bounced off the book and can't really remember much about the movie other than Zooey Deschanel's legs.

I reckon I've probably missed my window for enjoying HHGttG, but its cool that Adams was cool.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 1, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Disco Pope posted:

I'm cool with a bit of that. Like, a lot of new wave sci-fi and post-punk and weirdo 70s cinema is exactly that and it's great, but Hitchhikers always felt like obnoxious engineer humour to me.

I think its a bit distinct from neckbeard humour, which in my head I imagine to be something like Robot Chicken, I always associate it more with pub bores and e-mail pedants.

yeh there's definitely a certain sort of person who is going to enjoy jokes about 42 and always carrying a towel, for sure. Hitchhiker's Guide, being a parody of all the new wave/weirdo sci-fi genre, makes it very wink-wink nod-nod to a certain type of person who was mired in sci-fi at the time. it kinda has a place and time that gives it the most power, and removed from the context seems to lose that punch and get increasingly more obnoxious with time.

I always felt like Discworld did a lot better job of parodying the genre of fantasy while pointing out the absurdity of the world, without being quite as insufferable. Pratchett came up with Boots theory, after all.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
anyway, my middle school boyfriend was obsessed with hitchhiker's guide and consequently it really sits firmly in my brain as a kid thing

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeh there's definitely a certain sort of person who is going to enjoy jokes about 42 and always carrying a towel, for sure. Hitchhiker's Guide, being a parody of all the new wave/weirdo sci-fi genre, makes it very wink-wink nod-nod to a certain type of person who was mired in sci-fi at the time. it kinda has a place and time that gives it the most power, and removed from the context seems to lose that punch and get increasingly more obnoxious with time.

I always felt like Discworld did a lot better job of parodying the genre of fantasy while pointing out the absurdity of the world, without being quite as insufferable. Pratchett came up with Boots theory, after all.

Yeah! Pratchett was a big deal to me as a kid - it blew my mind at 11 that books could be funny and kind after picking up Soul Music at the library, purely because it had a picture of the grim reaper on a motorbike on the cover. And I've cooled on Pratchett slightly on re-reads, but I still associate him with humanism over cynicism.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I never read it because the kids who did read it were not cool and I wanted to be cool so I read Goosebumps and then I scored.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

kntfkr posted:

I never read it because the kids who did read it were not cool and I wanted to be cool so I read Goosebumps and then I scored.

Point Horror and Fear Street was cool because you could talk to girls about it and it was a sign they were ready to make out at the school disco.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency was way better imo. Also goons will just hate on absolutely anything these days.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Disco Pope posted:

Point Horror and Fear Street was cool because you could talk to girls about it and it was a sign they were ready to make out at the school disco.

Been saying this.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Douglas Adams does indeed make lolrandom humor but you have to understand that at the time he did it getting lolrandom humor was somehow very difficult even though there was decades worth of pent up demand.

We all finally got it out of our system in the 00s so it seems dumb and predictable but in 1978 space towels were cutting edge humor.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Internet Old One posted:

Douglas Adams does indeed make lolrandom humor but you have to understand that at the time he did it getting lolrandom humor was somehow very difficult even though there was decades worth of pent up demand.

We all finally got it out of our system in the 00s so it seems dumb and predictable but in 1978 space towels were cutting edge humor.

The social unrest of the 60s and economic doldrums of the 70s would have been a lot smoother if people could talk about the penguin... of death! or debate pirates vs ninjas.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If the jokes and writing seem bad it's because we associate it with the cringey nerds who drove it into the ground

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is towlie from South Park a hitchhikers joke?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Is towlie from South Park a hitchhikers joke?

Can't say, never read it. #goosebumps

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque pu essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Preoptopus posted:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency was way better imo. Also goons will just hate on absolutely anything these days.

You'll never become super cool and achieve satori unless you give up your attachment to ever enjoying anything on its merits in favour of just shrieking at people that they're casuals for liking things and that you don't know how they don't miss work by getting eternally stuck in a loop of losing at three-card monte every day.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone said Last Chance to See is the best book and this it true.
I will say Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is his best creative work.
The movie is absolute rear end and DNA would have never allowed that travesty to happen. It was made by people who didn't actually understand the humor and actually removed it from whatever remnants of script they had that DNA actually penned.

Adams actual writing is very strong, even if the humor doesn't work for you. The first book doesn't have much of a plot, though. But for crafting each and every word, he was an artist.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Some things are just too british for me to handle

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Caesar Saladin posted:

Some things are just too british for me to handle

Totally get this.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bri段sh

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

feelix posted:

Lolrandom British garbage for nerds to quote forever until it becomes even less funny than it already is

Like all idiots, you fall to recognize the lolrandom exists because of it.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
you're wrong op, the entire guide series still holds up and owns to this day

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
that said, the Hitchhiker's movie, which is kinda poo poo tbh, is still something I have on my shelf bc I love the puppets so much, specifically the Vogons. those are some of Henson Company's best work in the last *checks release date*....20 years!!!!! holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHE1y0NAukg&t=324s

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 1, 2023

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Like all idiots, you fall to recognize the lolrandom exists because of it.

You are right. I am too stupid to recognize that not only did I not like the book itself, the book was also responsible for creating an entire genre of humor that I do not like. This new information has made me like the book?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The real question here, what the gently caress are "cow tools"???

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I am so thankful we all realized that winking at the audience is loving stupid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hitchhiker's Guide is probably kind of a particular thing that kicked off a genre of sci-fi where the protagonist isn't a superhero ubermensch but a random rear end loser bumbling around barely not getting killed by all kinds of random crazy poo poo he has barely any context for and generally being a space hobo. Like the kinda thing you see developed on with Red Dwarf, Lexx, even Cowboy Bebop.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I rewatched the first four Red Dwarf series not too long ago and a lot of those jokes don't age well either. "Backwards" being a good example. I don't know why that seemed so clever at the time.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Only read the first three discworld books but I hated them all. Twee, whimsical british horse poo poo. British people sure seem to like comedy that never makes you laugh or even smile once. Read the first hitchhiker's guide when I was like 12. It was... fine. I was 12 though.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lmao :munch:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

If people dogpile me I'll just ignore them. The books just bored the hell out of me, no sex, no gore, the loving wizard can't cast spells, it's just loving lame. I shoulda been reading Elric at that age, that's what I would've enjoyed.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cor, DM!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

When I think back to some trash I read when I was 12, like Dragonlance, I just shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

At least the wizards cast spells in dragonlance.