Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Thanks for clarifying. And drat, now I kinda wish AEW would do a They Live and let all their wrestlers star in some movies so they can strike too.

That would be fully sick.

AEW has a related weekly video made by their talent called “Being the Elite” that’s featured one of their wrestlers hanging out on the picket lines in LA every week since the strike started; it’s been pretty great.

(also oop sorry for hijacking the thread and turning it into wrestling chat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/marinmmillerVO/status/1681754918368219137

TREE LAW! TREE LAW! TREE LAW! TREE LAW!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tree law, best law.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/WritersGuildF/status/1681718061605482496

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I get that picket lines are the hallmark of a strike, but this isn't a coal mine where the scabs are forced to walk by you each day. You have writers and actors based all over the country in a labor dispute with studios and streamers based all over the country, effectively shutting down the American film and tv industry. Is sending a couple dozen people to fry in the California sun really going to move the needle?

e: Though it evidently gets you stories like this, so maybe I should just shut up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Baronash posted:

I get that picket lines are the hallmark of a strike, but this isn't a coal mine where the scabs are forced to walk by you each day. You have writers and actors based all over the country in a labor dispute with studios and streamers based all over the country, effectively shutting down the American film and tv industry. Is sending a couple dozen people to fry in the California sun really going to move the needle?

e: Though it evidently gets you stories like this, so maybe I should just shut up.

A picket line serves main two purposes - work stoppage and visibility. By having the picket line, no teamster trucks are going to go into that studio lot. When it was just the writers striking, this meant they could completely shut down the production for the day because the production wouldn't be able to get in the gear they needed. There's also the visibility side. Everyone driving past the area is going to be constantly reminded that this is happening. And, like you point out, you're going to get the news stories. More visibility.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When the teachers had their strike in 2019, and the support staff in 2023, they stood in the rain to make sure they were visible.

Lots of cameras and people going "drat, I'd be on my rear end in the couch they must be really hosed".

Similarly, you get the studios and execs making dumb own goals while this goes on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FilthyImp posted:

Similarly, you get the studios and execs making dumb own goals while this goes on.

This is a huge part of it. Visibility, sure. But you also sucker some of the higher-ups into giving in to that primal urge to gently caress over unions, so they trim some trees that aren't theirs.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

When the teachers had their strike in 2019, and the support staff in 2023, they stood in the rain to make sure they were visible.

Lots of cameras and people going "drat, I'd be on my rear end in the couch they must be really hosed".

And I can fukkin tell you that it would take a lot to make want to walk back and forth in the sun in Burbank in the summer. It's loving brutal out right now.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Elman posted:

They knew they'd get fined, it's well worth the cost.

Cost of doing business. If Loss of revenue < (Gain of revenue doing illegal things - Fines if caught) then people will constantly break the law. Add a few petty cash donations to lawmakers and you can write in the penalties yourself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baronash posted:

yes

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Drunkboxer posted:

I like the assumption here that if there aren’t any scripted shows and movies anymore a bunch more people will just immediately start liking wrestling
WWE is a scripted show. Those people should be in SAG. There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't be. They're television performers learning lines from scripts and performing them on television.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
wait wrestling is scripted???

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

WWE is a scripted show. Those people should be in SAG. There's absolutely no reason why they couldn't be. They're television performers learning lines from scripts and performing them on television.

the writers and performers are all non-union. WWE workers tried to put a union together ages ago but Hulk Hogan was a fuckin’ cop and ruined it.

that’s why you’ll see wrestlers pop up in cheap movies with just a couple of speaking lines; they wanna join SAG for the health insurance.

it’s gotta suck to do promos that are entirely scripted that were handed to you 5 minutes before going out to the ring because a senile old rear end in a top hat tore up the one before it.

wrestling is in such a weird liminal state; buncha sweaty theatre kids who get kicked in the head to make a living.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Professional wrestling is an entirely separate, much worse, and indescribably weirder thing. The entire industry is built from the ground up on flouting labor laws to a truly ludicrous degree. Wrestlers are classified as independent contractors despite clearly failing at literally every test for that term -- they're deeply integrated into the overall business, they're paid salaries rather than freelance, they're not allowed to work for other employers without the approval of their main employer, they don't control their schedule, they can't subcontract the work, their performance is directly supervised. They are absolutely 100% employees being intentionally misclassified so that their employers don't have to pay for their health insurance. Any complaint to a relevant agency or lawsuit is guaranteed to succeed.

And nobody loving does it, because wrestling is a weird, insular, deeply carny business and it's simply Not Done. Whole thing makes no sense.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
If hulk hogan didn't rat out Jesse Ventura when he was trying to unionize everyone, who knows where pro wrestling would've been by now.

Probably a better place for the workers,what could've been. :smith:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I am always saying this: gently caress Hulk Hogan

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I am always saying this: gently caress Hulk Hogan

-Bubba the Love Sponge, to his wife

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Drunkboxer posted:

jesus christ. Hahahaha

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Drunkboxer posted:

close the loving thread, we're done here

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CapnAndy posted:

close the loving thread, we're done here

Nice try, Universal Studios!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

the escape goat posted:

the writers and performers are all non-union. WWE workers tried to put a union together ages ago but Hulk Hogan was a fuckin’ cop and ruined it.

that’s why you’ll see wrestlers pop up in cheap movies with just a couple of speaking lines; they wanna join SAG for the health insurance.

it’s gotta suck to do promos that are entirely scripted that were handed to you 5 minutes before going out to the ring because a senile old rear end in a top hat tore up the one before it.

wrestling is in such a weird liminal state; buncha sweaty theatre kids who get kicked in the head to make a living.
I've been following the business and have been an Observer subscriber off and on since the aughts. I know all this. But I'm still super glad you added to my point, 'cause people really need to know this poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AEW does the independent contractor thing but does at least seem to hold to part of it- the wrestlers can in fact take other gigs so long as they don't prevent them from being available and they're willing to negotiate stuff like this. Britt Baker signed with them because the schedule allows her to keep doing her IRL dentist job. And of course actual indies share talent all the time, which is good because none of their wrestlers would be able to make a living otherwise.

A union is obviously needed but you run into the problem of most wrestlers being, if not necessarily ideologically conservative (though many are), of that individualistic, toughen-up, don't rely on others mentality. Same problem with a lot of software-based professions, that "I can negotiate a good deal all by myself" engineer mindset. Obviously that's something that can change the more workers talk.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/SteveRogers1943/status/1682369669309644803?t=BMZTGzXN5EZfNNJnddj4ow&s=19

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Anyone here been going to the picket line?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So that’s why John Cena is a mermaid in the Barbie movie. It all makes sense now.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1682577598314868739?t=czBv5x-SEO03ISaQ9BLD9A&s=19

That'll show those jerks at NBCUniversal!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

yeah, there's actually waivers and the only people I know working right now are the people on these waiver low-budget indie movies

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Jet Li revealed he turned down the Matrix sequels because they wanted to digitally capture his kung fu moves and then own them forever.

quote:

In his latest interview with famed Chinese anchor Chen Luyu, Li revealed his reason for turning down the big role in The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolution.

“It was a commercial struggle for me,” Li said, “I realized the Americans wanted me to film for three months but be with the crew for nine. And for six months, they wanted to record and copy all my moves into a digital library.”

He added, “By the end of the recording, the right to these moves would go to them.”

Li said back then, he was already worried that future technology would allow US filmmakers to digitally reproduce his moving body and superimpose the face of any actor onto it.

“I was thinking: I’ve been training my entire life. And we martial artists could only grow older. Yet they could own [my moves] as an intellectual property forever. So I said I couldn’t do that,” Li said.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Honestly, I think that SAG-AFTRA and the WGA should go as long as possible. Given the amount the movies and TV shows that have been made, A case can be made that we don't need anymore programming to be made.

A person who dies at age 97 will have lived six million hours give or take. Assuming 1/3 of that is sleep, that leaves four million. You can lop off 120k hours for your first two years of life and 15k for school but it's easier to work with numbers with more zeros for now.

1939 had 365 movies made by Hollywood (source: A Jeopardy clue this week from a writer now on strike) Assuming that is Hollywood's average output of films & nobody watches anything but movies before that year with a average runtime of 90 min, That's approximately 46k hours if a movie is only viewed once and ignoring everything pre Gone with the Wind (the film, not the book). That's over 5 years

TV makes this interesting, Here in the USA, we have 4 major networks over the air. Here is one scripted show from each and episode count

ABC: Dark Shadows at 1225 episodes (that's soap operas for you) totaling 470 hours. $400 on Amazon and the DVD box set is yours

CBS: Gunsmoke at 635 episodes. This took 13 years but they're all on DVD. It's about 470 hours as well. Radio not included

Fox: The Simpsons at 750 episodes and counting. Assuming 20 minute episodes (not fully accurate but go with it), 250 hours on Disney+. Replace the episode covered up by a blanket with the movie.

NBC: Law & Order (original recipe version) at 488 and counting making over 356 hours covering a lot of hours for mornings on cable. Add in other shows with Beltzer making a apperance as John Munch with you have at least six months. Put in other Dick Wolf shows, you likely have a year and developed a nice callus on your tongue after licking all that leather by people's toes.

Combine all the runtimes, you have 64 straight days or 1500+ hours by themselves. A comedy that hit 100 episodes is 2 days. A drama is 4.

To put it simply, the AMPTP might weather this in the near term but if they want to remain in business, they'll have to meet with the unions eventually. Either both go or the studios go

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
New plan: call off the strike, abolish all performing arts, and mandate that all existing movies and television shows be re-aired in chronological order from here on out.

Problem solved.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SilentChaz posted:

Jet Li revealed he turned down the Matrix sequels because they wanted to digitally capture his kung fu moves and then own them forever.

Usually when I hear this story it's presented as him being difficult

Obviously that particular framing doesn't hold a lot of water in 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

As Actors Strike for AI Protections, Netflix Lists $900,000 AI Job
https://theintercept.com/2023/07/25/strike-hollywood-ai-disney-netflix/

'As Hollywood executives insist it is “just not realistic” to pay actors — 87 percent of whom earn less than $26,000 — more, they are spending lavishly on AI programs.'

‘Idiots’: Wall Street Analysts Unload on Hollywood
https://theankler.com/p/idiots-wall-street-analysts-unload

'Michael Pachter, research analyst at Wedbush Securities, is more pointed: “The market thinks all of the corporate bosses are idiots, and generally sides with the unions.”'

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Exclusive: California Gov Gavin Newsom May Be Back Channeling in Actors, Writers Strikes Against Studios
https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/07/26/exclusive-california-gov-gavin-newsom-may-be-back-channeling-in-actors-writers-strikes-against-studios

'Jeopardy!' Tournament of Champions is delayed after winners said they won't compete amid writers strike
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-tournament-of-champions-delay-winners-writers-strike-203837254.html

DMovie
Aug 3, 2023

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1686570436287774720

BrokenBleems
Aug 3, 2023

by vyelkin

I quoted it ICYMI. So the thread title might be changed if the negotiations go through.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
what does the AFTRA stand for

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GateOfD posted:

what does the AFTRA stand for

American Federation of Television and Radio Artists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
AFTRA was a separate guild and they merged together kinda recently, like a decade ago?