Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Evil Kit posted:

it's all the classes, not just bastion no? I have to re-choose my loadout every time I load up as Assault. Dunno about Operator I suppose.

Its assault and operator specifically that have this bug, Operator is unaffected

CuddleCryptid posted:

What do people typically run for weapons on Hunter? The scoped battle rifle? I've been shying away from the carbine but the assault rifle is so pitiful that it really can't protect you at all from warrior bugs unless they're far away. It's not bad for being in cities where you can jet to higher terrain but for objectives on flat terrain it just doesn't have any stopping power. Is it just a matter of you shouldn't be on the frontline to begin with, instead should be doing overwatch?

I'm trying to push the class a bit because I just run operator like everyone else and want to diversify.

If youre running with friends, a hunter with a scoped rifle in the squad is really, really, really nice if they're on the ball about taking down gunner bugs and artillery bugs without it turning into some Omaha Beach situation, the heavy sidearm does well enough against the tiny bugs and the regular warriors as a backup. I really wish hunter's jetpack would work more like a "traditional" jetpack where you get a bar of regenerating fuel instead of this one-shot that often does nothing because you got stuck on a tiny shrub.

https://i.imgur.com/3oy8pHJ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
in my experience the jetpack gives less boost the more speed you already have, so at full sprint it barely lifts and works best from a complete standstill

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

CuddleCryptid posted:

What do people typically run for weapons on Hunter? The scoped battle rifle? I've been shying away from the carbine but the assault rifle is so pitiful that it really can't protect you at all from warrior bugs unless they're far away. It's not bad for being in cities where you can jet to higher terrain but for objectives on flat terrain it just doesn't have any stopping power. Is it just a matter of you shouldn't be on the frontline to begin with, instead should be doing overwatch?

I'm trying to push the class a bit because I just run operator like everyone else and want to diversify.

sniper and heavy sidearm and always try to get the rocket launcher too as it can be used a lot better from more safe elevated positions.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

GruntyThrst posted:

You don't get XP for troopers extracted if you're dead at the end of the round which needs to change.

Edit: to clarify, people who are dead don't get the bonus XP.
:hmmyes:

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

So my group and I have moved on to mostly playing arc mode on hard, and have noticed that pubbies seem to have an irrational fear of gathering gas reinforced through groupthink, even though on that mode and difficulty the clock is ticking on danger levels and it's only a matter of time till 5 since exterminations pop up so fast and you just can't get them all.
We've let it play out a few times to see where it goes and it usually ends up with getting spawncamped in with grenadiers wiping the team and killing the arc, or otherwise an hour+ slog.
They seem to want a maze of walls across the entire build zone, rather than a compact base with 4 turrets and good sightlines where the whole team can shift firing arcs quickly
Isn't it because they also play with other pubbies, who may not listen to commands and if they collect just 1 or 2 shy of the gas some pubbie will collect and insert the last 1 or 2 gas pods before there's enough base resources (and rocket launchers) collected?

That's why I've seen pubbies saying not to get gas in pub matches, and sometimes there is that player that doesn't know better or isn't paying attention the dumps that final gas in.

As for the "maze" issue... are you still building electric fences?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Oh yeah it seems like any of the buildings you're only allowed 4 of are worth having, but even then, all you really need to win the final event is to set up on high ground, preferably a non player structure, encase the arc with whatever you can, and always be shooting at a bug. Pubs seem to feel a need to use all the build space though, and that breaks sightlines and is detrimental imo.

And I understand why and where the fear of gas came from, I think however that pubs do not - they probably heard it from their first game in the mode and have been parroting it without thought. It works on normal where you have breathing room to gently caress around but on hard there is no time to lose

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just want to say the basic grenade cooldown is way too long. Painfully so. I wonder if some of the devs worked on Battlefield 1 and the grenade-fest that game became. Grenade Recharge perk makes it feel about right.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Oh yeah it seems like any of the buildings you're only allowed 4 of are worth having, but even then, all you really need to win the final event is to set up on high ground, preferably a non player structure, encase the arc with whatever you can, and always be shooting at a bug. Pubs seem to feel a need to use all the build space though, and that breaks sightlines and is detrimental imo.

I've only played a few games on hard, since I wasn't paying attention too much but the xp I received didn't seem that much more.

That said... I mean I look at the building costs:

I do wonder if the Electric Fences are actually really needed if hard difficulty is busting your balls about not staying too long. So you get two resource collectors, each which can pump out 4 canisters at 2k resources each (assuming none of them are lost due to damage). That means that to build 4x Electric Fences (or 4x Sentry MGs), you need 16k minerals, or two full loads of resource canisters (8 of them) . I start to wonder if it's really needed, and how much use the Electric Fence actually gets. Conversely though, if you don't gently caress up the sight lines, layers of walls are cheap. 200 a pop; 1 canister can build 10 walls. And short walls are dirt cheap for interior walls to add more distractions when bugs get through, while also not messing with your sightlines. That said, I've seen what some pubbie builders do...

Sentry MGs are pricey too but I feel they get more use since they're ranged.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 24, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BeAuMaN posted:

I've only played a few games on hard, since I wasn't paying attention too much but the xp I received didn't seem that much more.

That said... I mean I look at the building costs:

I do wonder if the Electric Fences are actually really needed if hard difficulty is busting your balls about not staying too long. So you get two resource collectors, each which can pump out 4 canisters at 2k resources each (assuming none of them are lost due to damage). That means that to build 4x Electric Fences (or 4x Sentry MGs), you need 16k minerals, or two full loads of resource canisters (8 of them) . I start to wonder if it's really needed, and how much use the Electric Fence actually gets. Conversely though, if you don't gently caress up the sight lines, layers of walls are cheap. 200 a pop; 1 canister can build 10 walls. And short walls are dirt cheap for interior walls to add more distractions when bugs get through, while also not messing with your sightlines. That said, I've seen what some pubbie builders do...

Sentry MGs are pricey too but I feel they get more use since they're ranged.

I think the Sentry guns are vital because once you build them, they reduce the burden on the base so players can do other things, on Hard anyway.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Sentry MG's do serious work and it always pays to have them just BEHIND the wall/bunker so they don't take first-line beatings, and can keep shooting at stuff thats just inside the perimeter to ease with base repairs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fishstick posted:

Sentry MG's do serious work and it always pays to have them just BEHIND the wall/bunker so they don't take first-line beatings, and can keep shooting at stuff thats just inside the perimeter to ease with base repairs.

That's pretty dependent on location and how often your walls fall imo. It's good to keep them safer but there are a lot of places where they end up being severely hampered by putting them back behind the walls because then they can't shoot down onto the bugs chewing on the walls. I've paid attention to the sentries in some matches when I was fighting near them and sometimes they end up idle for most of the fight because they just don't have LOS on anything.

I did have a match recently where a sentry was places with short walls around it next to a ramp so that it could shoot the bugs with a clear LOS and it worked out pretty well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The turrets will "snap" into walls and inside the barracks as well (centre/front). This lets them shoot over walls and stuff easily.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

The turrets will "snap" into walls and inside the barracks as well (centre/front). This lets them shoot over walls and stuff easily.

Yeah I think they aren't exposed from the front either when they are snapped on to the walls. The bunker one can still have some issues with LOS for close bugs sometime since it's set back from the edge but that really is for fringe cases or small bugs, the warrior bugs are usually tall enough to get hit.

There is a bit of a feeling that it's rude but I've taken to moving badly placed defenses. I've had a couple people yell at me for deconstructing things but guys come on, why do we have a super expensive bunker sitting behind a bunch of walls? If you can fire out of it then you already hosed up. Build a tower if you want a fallback firing position that bad.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 24, 2023

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah I think they aren't exposed from the front either when they are snapped on to the walls. The bunker one can still have some issues with LOS for close bugs sometime since it's set back from the edge but that really is for fringe cases or small bugs, the warrior bugs are usually tall enough to get hit.

There is a bit of a feeling that it's rude but I've taken to moving badly placed defenses. I've had a couple people yell at me for deconstructing things but guys come on, why do we have a super expensive bunker sitting behind a bunch of walls? If you can fire out of it then you already hosed up. Build a tower if you want a fallback firing position that bad.

Yeah I do the same for anything that's really out of place. Bunkers are great in choke points and stuff and having it sit way back somewhere is silly. Sometimes I'll place the small walls infront of the bunke as sort of a bulwark. Anything that ties up the Bugs is good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Per a post on the steam forums, the bugs don't have weak points right now but it's something they are adding in the future. Which is not at all what I thought. I guess there is no need to really aim down, just dakka dakka wherever you can.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah I do the same for anything that's really out of place. Bunkers are great in choke points and stuff and having it sit way back somewhere is silly. Sometimes I'll place the small walls infront of the bunke as sort of a bulwark. Anything that ties up the Bugs is good.

I have seen people put gates in front of bunkers to give the option to close them if a swarm comes in, which is okay I guess but at the same time just plugging the hole with the bunker and putting the gate behind seems more effective. Bugs only really come from one direction so it's generally a neutral thing from a LOS point and funneling them through and open gate is helpful but there are a lot of possible failure points.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
FYI folks, the co-op goon discord now has a dedicated starship troopers LFG role, with a dedicated voice channel or two being set up right now. Feel free to [insert film reference here]

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

FYI folks, the co-op goon discord now has a dedicated starship troopers LFG role, with a dedicated voice channel or two being set up right now. Feel free to [insert film reference here]

Could you give a link to the co-op goon discord?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

fermun posted:

Could you give a link to the co-op goon discord?

Drakenel posted:

Also, feel free to drop by the co-op goons discord. We're chill folks. https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

Edit: I'm a dumbass with broken links.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 27, 2023

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
that invite is invalid

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This should be a valid perma-link.

https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

If possible (and assuming it works!) please update the earlier posts.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You are quite right. Apologies. Fixing now.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
this could have an amazing pvp mode if the bug side had a brain bug(human player) spawning bugs and tagging targets. this is already pretty nice though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Discendo Vox posted:

This should be a valid perma-link.

https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

If possible (and assuming it works!) please update the earlier posts.

added to OP

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

It's kind of strange how little .. media? communication? this game has. There's no dedicated subreddit, the steam forums are the steam forums, there's only a discord with one chat channel and one channel where they post update notices.

I was kind of expecting like a little roadmap or "this is when the next major update will come" or "this is what we're working on" a week after EA release.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Grognan posted:

this could have an amazing pvp mode if the bug side had a brain bug(human player) spawning bugs and tagging targets. this is already pretty nice though.

I remember years ago there was a game like this, where a bunch of players were on the human side and played it as an FPS, and one or two players were on the bug side and played it as an RTS. It was a great concept but it was one of those early microtransaction games where instead of buying the game you had to buy weapons/bug units and they only lasted a few rounds until you had to buy them again, which was great at driving away players. Sadly I don't remember the name.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Game fun but also suffers from common teamgame ailment: pubbies with no mics and pubbies who ignore objectives.

I'd say 1 out of 6 Arc games has team coordination/comms going on. Otherwise it's just constant "why the gently caress are you spending all my blue ore building walls away from the ARC?"

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Leveling up Bastion...

Cluster Grenade doesn't seem to be very effective. Can't throw it far since it will cluster mid flight. Throwing it close doesn't seem to have -that- much more area coverage than the regular grenade, or the regular grenade just really does have the most pitiful coverage. On Chem grenade again.

for Utility I think Shock Beacons or Scanner Beacons are the way to go. Given you get 6 shock beacons I usually build triangles with them. We've already talked about how awesome Scanner Beacons are.

Bug mines are okay but they have delayed arming time and scrub bugs might trigger them. So they often get wasted and you only get 3 of them. Could be better if you were given more of them.
Thermo Charges are okay but honestly I don't like how you have to set them rather than throw them, but none of the utilities are thrown so I guess there's that. Kinda okay.
Haven't used Nuclear Det Pack but just seems to be a movie callback thing because what the hell am I going to do with a 30s timer for an explosive that does team damage other than troll or leave it behind when fleeing base.

For perks... Magazine Bandolier until you get Extended Magazine. Then take one of the armor ones. I go for the armor one that reduces melee attacks since then I can turtle up and let the swarm pile on me while I empty gun fire (and when ammo runs out, knife slashes), and hopefully team mates get rid of the rest or maybe can get away. It also lets me melee a Warrior bug face to face with a canister without needing to drop it and taking relatively little damage. Meleeing with canisters is still the funniest thing. BONK!
Ranged bugs remain an issue if you don't take ranged armor, however I think that:
1.) Turtling up remains viable against ranged bugs long enough to kill them most of the time. If you're caught by a ranged bug or two while turtle is cooldown then you're kinda hosed maybe.
2.) When being overwhelmed by melee bugs, the ranged bugs can't get a shot on you. So the melee armor absorbs that and buys you time to cut a hole through the melee bug swarm to kill the ranged bug(s).
3.) There's a lot more melee bugs than ranged bugs. I haven't tried ranged armor vs. Plasma Grenadiers, so no idea if that helps where you can survive a blast, but also it's fairly rare you directly get hit with a grenadier blast.

A lot of the melee armor stuff I describe here is more relevant to playing with pubbies and less relevant if you have a well coordinated group, but it gives you an idea of how effective tanking can be. I took on a group of 20 bugs by bastion-ing down into a corner between a building and ramp. Used up all my ammo, meleed more of them, and held out until some team came back to shoot the rest. It was pretty epic.

Oh, also, turtled up + melee armor you can very shortly tank a Tiger Elite. Bonuses if you stun them to buy more time.

As for Rocket Launchers... on one hand Rocket Launchers help a lot with the long mag change times of machine guns (which hopefully melee armor buys you time to change mags). You can also face-wipe bugs by turtling and blowing them up. On the other... you're putting yourself in danger more often and that means you're more likely to lose a rocket launcher. I think priority for Rocket Launchers should be Hunter -> Operator -> Bastion. Depending on availability of Ammo Fabricators, that may change somewhat to Operator -> Hunter -> Bastion. Hunters have the ability to get to wonderful Rocket Launcher sightlines and also have the ability to hop between buildings to get the stubborn Plasma Grenadier that's otherwise hidden behind cover from base defense.

I now want a chainsword or chainspear for my Bastion.
Edit: Yeah, chainspear. Here we go:

Edit2: Also, it bears repeating from an earlier post:
A lot of things reset your long reload animations, but melee does not!

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 28, 2023

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

Oh, also, turtled up + melee armor you can very shortly tank a Tiger Elite. Bonuses if you stun them to buy more time.

I took THREE hits to die!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

McTimmy posted:

I took THREE hits to die!
So Strong!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

BeAuMaN posted:

Haven't used Nuclear Det Pack but just seems to be a movie callback thing because what the hell am I going to do with a 30s timer for an explosive that does team damage other than troll or leave it behind when fleeing base.

The tooltip is wrong and the nuke has a 10 second timer, but the visual explosion on it is quite small for what you'd expect (about the size of a grenadier bug) and I have no idea how strong it is.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Also random thing I remembered, on things people might not know:

For Arc Capture or whatever, the mode without resource collection:
The Blue areas on the map are areas where you've already completed the objective.
The Yellow area on the map is the area where the current/next objective will be.
The Red areas on the map are areas where future objectives appear. You can usually guess which one is last (the base building) based on location.

So that way you know where to run towards where the next objective will be before the 30 second timer runs out.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

Also random thing I remembered, on things people might not know:

For Arc Capture or whatever, the mode without resource collection:
The Blue areas on the map are areas where you've already completed the objective.
The Yellow area on the map is the area where the current/next objective will be.
The Red areas on the map are areas where future objectives appear. You can usually guess which one is last (the base building) based on location.

So that way you know where to run towards where the next objective will be before the 30 second timer runs out.

And get surrounded by all the bugs like a Bastion should be.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

McTimmy posted:

And get surrounded by all the bugs like a Bastion should be.
:sickos:

Also if there's a choke point, then setting up the shock beacons fast enough is awesome, especially if it turns into an extermination objective. Sure, the plasma grenadiers that spawn are still going to be wrecking everyone's poo poo, but those shock beacons help bunch up the bugs into a nice piles to be grenade-launchered/rocketed/grenaded.

In a group it's better to have both scanner and shock beacons, and scanner beacons are easier to setup and double damage is great... but man do shock beacons shine when you know where the bugs are coming from AND it's a choke point. Stairways and ramps are the best.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing it took this long for someone to make this game

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Grenade launcher + RPG + ammo crates. It's the only way to play. I do like the jetpack too since you can get ammo crates with that and Sniper + RPG is pretty good as far as load outs go too.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Any goons playing this in a group? It's always a hoot when you get a good squad going.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Any goons playing this in a group? It's always a hoot when you get a good squad going.
https://discord.com/invite/vSNn4Sk

They really need a roadmap.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Grenade launcher + RPG + ammo crates. It's the only way to play. I do like the jetpack too since you can get ammo crates with that and Sniper + RPG is pretty good as far as load outs go too.

I don't even bother with the RPG when I have the Grenade Launcher, I just feel like I spend too much time juggling reloads, and anything not extremely long range can be nailed with grenades.

Having an absolute blast with Operator with the GL + extended mags for 9/4 nades/rockets per mag, grenade cooldown for napalm or chem, and ammo fab. 2 nades to delete a warrior and nearby friends, and less than a full mag's worth of nades to take down a Grenadier or Tiger. Can't facetank like a bastion but the 3 self-rezzes and AE delete-gun don't really make that a problem unless you're way out of position or its the Extraction Dash. You don't get the positioning Hunter has, but being able to arc shots over walls without being deleted by gunners yourself is great, and ammo fab gives you more than enough sustain.

Plus I really like the popcorn sound you get when exploding multiple bugs with it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is cool though I'll echo that yeah there's a ton of jank and a lack of content

Sometimes it spawns a very rude amount of gunners :argh:

I think I might have caused this by being way ahead of my team, I was at the eventual ARC location while they were still one territory behind, and it seems like that pushed the enemy spawn locations to being very far away from my team, leading to several of them grouping up and attacking at once instead of getting picked off as they spawned.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 30, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

From the discord:

Who is asking for games longer than one hour?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My only problem with the hour time limit was that the game didn’t tell you about it beforehand. Otherwise it’s a perfectly reasonable game length.