Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

teen witch posted:

the summer is here and usually that means I marathon an entire show while I lust for heat death.

this year, sadly, im torn between what shows to watch?? so I turn to those who I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw them: you all.

the crux is, I have options to consider but which pony I put money on - no clue. I am indecisive to a dangerous degree!

contenders:

The Wire
Pros:
- I can finally say I watched the wire
- I think Idris Elba is in a season of this?

Cons:
- I’ve heard the quality swings wildly from season to season a la true detective, which is a shame.
- I know this show will bum me out one way or another.

Murder She Wrote
Pros:
- Angela Lansbury
- I’m watching Poker Face now and wow, would like to see more of this genre.

Cons:
- there are a ton of seasons and much like any show created prior to 2015, the international streaming rights are garbage. I’m up to three different streaming services over how many goddamn episodes? Unreal.
- I presume this song is not featured within the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-av7F1JBmj4

Frasier
Pros:
- I’ve seen a lot of episodes as a kid and I thought this show sucked. Saw some as an adult, turns out you need to be a snobby little nerd to like it, so naturally I’d love to revisit.
- I think every episode is streaming here on one consistent, which I’m shocked about.

Cons:
- I know this show aged like poo poo. I’m certain of it. Maybe not Friends bad. I think there are right wing militia pamphlets that have aged better than Friends, honestly.
- I will most likely hate Frasier Crane before I finish the show. This could be the point of the show?

Seinfeld
Pros:
- I’m deeply ashamed that I’ve only seen a few episodes, so shame is a pro
- How did I watch CYE and never bothered with Seinfeld??

Cons:
- oh boy, Jerry Seinfeld, woof. I’d honestly be watching it for pretty much everyone but him
- I will be terribly nostalgic for the NY of my childhood

The Sopranos
Pros:
- I’ve heard it’s consistently fantastic and it really showcased James Gandolfini at his best.
- I have a horrendous schoolgirl crush on Michael Imperioli for a while now. My brain is broken but you knew that.

Cons:
- there are not as many twists and surprises left as I think everyone under the age of 60 watched the show growing up and I’m familiar with it via osmosis at this point. It was massive when I was a kid.
- if Seinfeld will make me wistful, The Sopranos would make it far, far worse.

Help me GBS I will absolutely ignore any advice you give me as is per the law I think??

watch the murder she wrote and count all the palm trees in maine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Wire is the best television show of all time

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I recently rewatched the Sopranos, holds up really well but there absolutely is a lull in the middle.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i'm watching the shield for the first time. it's no the wire but it's been pretty good so far.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i'm watching the shield for the first time. it's no the wire but it's been pretty good so far.

I almost dropped it because I couldn't stand the bald gently caress, but it's actually pretty good and the characters are very well written

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
My friend is hassling me to watch Succession, is he right in doing so?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ahundredbux posted:

My friend is hassling me to watch Succession, is he right in doing so?

If you want to be pushed into the hand sof the LEFTIST agenda watch succession.

If you want to have your stomach turn by rich failkids watch it

Otherwise watch that other show idk what it calls

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Lifroc posted:

I almost dropped it because I couldn't stand the bald gently caress, but it's actually pretty good and the characters are very well written

I avoided it for years because I assumed it’d be more sons of anarchy curt sutter cheese but drat did that show turn out to be a good watch.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

The Wire is the best television show of all time

it's pretty great. season 5 isn't so hot, but the other seasons are fantastic.

my sleeper david simon show is Treme though.

also, put deadwood on the list, teen witch.

bossy lady posted:

I loving hate herc.

yeah, herc suuuuuuuuucked.

NoiseAnnoys fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 29, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

What the gently caress mud man language is that also that ain't red dwarf gently caress you

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cool tv tho

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
finished episode three, and uh, yeah I guess I’ll just sorta write oh god Jesus god no

- gently caress we really lost a gem with Lance Reddick
- Bubbles gently yet viciously tearing down the undercover outfit was awesome
- oh wow the one thing I knew about the wire before I started is Omar so uh, what an introduction! Kinda like that it wasn’t seasons later
- I couldn’t work at a strip club as a bartender, I feel like the stickiness would just get to me. Thong? Whatever. Sticky? Ew no no no no no
- I could watch Mahon go down like a sack of potatoes forever
- please don’t tell me my preicous McNulty is a two pump chump do not do this to me I have smut to google

I’ll have to wait until Saturday at the earliest to watch episode four, going to a show tomorrow night.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks it’s my partners from like 08?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

teen witch posted:

finished episode three, and uh, yeah I guess I’ll just sorta write oh god Jesus god no

- gently caress we really lost a gem with Lance Reddick
- Bubbles gently yet viciously tearing down the undercover outfit was awesome
- oh wow the one thing I knew about the wire before I started is Omar so uh, what an introduction! Kinda like that it wasn’t seasons later
- I couldn’t work at a strip club as a bartender, I feel like the stickiness would just get to me. Thong? Whatever. Sticky? Ew no no no no no
- I could watch Mahon go down like a sack of potatoes forever
- please don’t tell me my preicous McNulty is a two pump chump do not do this to me I have smut to google

I’ll have to wait until Saturday at the earliest to watch episode four, going to a show tomorrow night.

Oh man. I'm jealous.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

NoiseAnnoys posted:

it's pretty great. season 5 isn't so hot, but the other seasons are fantastic.

Season 5, while debatably the worst season because of David Simon's stand-in character who is, in retrospect, an elitist jerk in a dying craft who is actually wrong about everything, is still some of the best TV ever produced. In fact that one thing is the only thing I don't like about it, I like even the stuff that people usually say isn't as good. Basically anything to do with Omar and the street characters is still as good as ever in season 5.

Also, yes, Deadwood is amazing. The Leftovers is also top-tier.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Deadwood Rome six feet under sopranos the wire the leftovers

All other tv is inferior. No exceptions.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Costco Meatballs posted:

Deadwood Rome six feet under sopranos the wire the leftovers

i agree but i would add band of brothers to this list. the first one not the pacific one

also, not quite the same level as the above, but most of the americans is very very good

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

It's like you don't even want to talk about how good Boardwalk Empire is. RIP Michael K. Williams.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Earwicker posted:

i agree but i would add band of brothers to this list. the first one not the pacific one

also, not quite the same level as the above, but most of the americans is very very good

Yeah Band of Brothers is up there with best tv ever, the Pacific is very good but isn’t BoB2. I enjoyed it more the second time through accepting there is less following the same group and more focus on individual episodes & stories. The Okinawa ep is rough.

Oh yeah Americans is top tier, especially how it gets better as it goes along and is the rare show that had abysmal ratings but the network gave it five seasons anyway. I especially liked how when they sometimes killed innocents either out of necessity or bad intel, it didn’t get handwaved by discovering the victim had secretly been a supervillain. They just had to accept it and move on and it built up until Philip couldn’t deal with it anymore.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Grape posted:

Number one reason I don't trust Season 2 haters is they both come across like they don't get what the show is about (the whole picture), and also that they seem to be in it for a weird vaguely problematic fetishization of kool black street punks doing crimes. Rather than I guess the great writing and acting.

Like all I hear is "oh now the criminals are ethnic white dudes??? boringggg".

listen i like season 2 a lot, but calling people racist because they find drug dealers more interesting than a dockworkers union is goofy as hell

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Costco Meatballs posted:

Rome

:haibrow: Rome is an amazing show. It was canceled because it costs stupid amounts of money to make, and it really shows.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I just jumped into a Leftovers rewatch and oh buddy ooph

Favorite show ever, watched it for the first time just a year ago

I've never done a rewatch because it's such an emotional bath

Just finished binging Succession and I liked it. I avoided it because I don't give a poo poo about rich people but it's really got such good acting that it's worth watching definitely

Spinz fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 30, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don’t think any show has ever stuck the landing quite as perfectly as The Leftovers

Also Boardwalk Empire rules and the later seasons are even better than the early ones that people watched the most. Baaaaaaarney Google

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Costco Meatballs posted:

The Expanse

ftfy

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

I don’t think any show has ever stuck the landing quite as perfectly as The Leftovers

Also Boardwalk Empire rules and the later seasons are even better than the early ones that people watched the most. Baaaaaaarney Google

in retrospect, killing off jimmy darmody was a great move, but man the fanbase didn't like it at the time.

deadwood is just an embarrassment of great acting.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Band of brothers is my all time favorite TV show, just terrific in every way
should probably watch it again

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Sorry but king of the hill is the the best show

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Saalkin posted:

Hard to beat

A show I could rewatch forever

E: watching episodes with my partner and his accent saying “h’what” is adorable

The translated subs for Boomhauer are also hilarious

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

NoiseAnnoys posted:

in retrospect, killing off jimmy darmody was a great move, but man the fanbase didn't like it at the time.

deadwood is just an embarrassment of great acting.

Yeah which is insane because seasons 3 4 and 5 are the best seasons of the show, easily

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:
I have to say why isn't The Shield on your list?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

fatman posted:

I have to say why isn't The Shield on your list?

Because never in my 32 years has anyone said “you should watch the shield” to my face

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I feel like only recently The Shield has been memeing itself into retrospective popularity or something.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Saalkin posted:

Usually I’d dread a reboot but Mike Judge’s relaunch of Beavis & Butthead is the best currently running show so I’m looking forward to it.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Usually I’d dread a reboot but Mike Judge’s relaunch of Beavis & Butthead is the best currently running show so I’m looking forward to it.

Yeah they've hit the mark with that one.

It's the return of Futurama that I'm dreading. Last time it came back it mostly sucked. I'm sure it'll suck this return too.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah which is insane because seasons 3 4 and 5 are the best seasons of the show, easily

my theory is that they realized that michael pitt can't carry a role to save his life and that the real interesting characters were ones that had gotten second billing previously like mickey doyle, myer lansky, chalky, etc.

but teen witch, if you like the wire, give treme a spin. it's not about crime, but it's a really great dive into what makes a community work and how people deal with the challenges of picking up after a giant tragedy, and it's still noticably a david simon show.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Saalkin posted:

It's the return of Futurama that I'm dreading. Last time it came back it mostly sucked. I'm sure it'll suck this return too.

new futurama is 100% going to be garbage. looking at this i wouldn't be surprised if they do an episode about how it's woke to acknowledge more than two genders.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Shamefully I actually really dug Disenchanted, sucks that I still gotta stick with OG Futurama

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

also if you dig bunk moreland, you get more of wendell pierce's bunk-as-a-trombonist in treme.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

new futurama is 100% going to be garbage. looking at this i wouldn't be surprised if they do an episode about how it's woke to acknowledge more than two genders.

I'm still going to watch it, but you are correct. gently caress that looks dire.

teen witch posted:

Shamefully I actually really dug Disenchanted, sucks that I still gotta stick with OG Futurama

What the. I think I gave disenchanted 1.5 seasons before I gave up. They forgot to tell any Friggin jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Saalkin posted:

I'm still going to watch it, but you are correct. gently caress that looks dire.

What the. I think I gave disenchanted 1.5 seasons before I gave up. They forgot to tell any Friggin jokes.

I liked the dang story! I’m a sucker for Eric Andre! It was quite a gay show, and uh, more of that!