Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

demostars posted:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong because I need to rewatch the episode to make sure but I’m pretty sure they used the original version of Love Story the first time they played it and Taylor’s Version the second time, which is an insane detail especially if they had to pay two separate parties for the rights to the song (not really sure how a situation like that works)
I’ve read multiples articles about their use of the song and it’s always described as Taylor’s Version. They would get an incredible amount of shot for using the original version and I’m glad they didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Colonel Whitey posted:

Was he based on anyone in particular from irl food world?

Unfortunately posts have a character limit.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mob posted:

Unfortunately posts have a character limit.

Lol yeah I’m sure that type of thing is very common, but he just has such a specific look and vibe in that scene it seemed almost like a reference of some sort.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They've submitted this at the Emmys as a comedy and it's been a weak year for comedies, so noms all around. Ebon Moss-Bachrach is probably the most deserving acting nod. I think they deserve it for directing, although I can't remember which episode Review was.

The only comedy I really enjoyed this past year was Mrs. Maisel. This is such a bleh list of shows.

Best Comedy
“Abbott Elementary” (ABC)
“Barry” (HBO)
“The Bear” (FX)
“Jury Duty” (Amazon Freevee)
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Prime Video)
“Only Murders in the Building” (Hulu)
“Ted Lasso” (Apple TV+)
“Wednesday” (Netflix)

Best Actor, Comedy
Bill Hader, “Barry”
Jason Segel, “Shrinking”
Martin Short, “Only Murders in the Building”
Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”
Jeremy Allen White, “The Bear”

Supporting Actress, Comedy
Alex Borstein, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Ayo Edebiri, “The Bear”
Janelle James, “Abbott Elementary”
Sheryl Lee Ralph, “Abbott Elementary”
Juno Temple, “Ted Lasso”
Hannah Waddingham, “Ted Lasso”
Jessica Williams, “Shrinking”

Supporting Actor, Comedy
Anthony Carrigan, “Barry”
Phil Dunster, “Ted Lasso”
Brett Goldstein, “Ted Lasso”
James Marsden, “Jury Duty”
Ebon Moss-Bachrach, “The Bear”
Tyler James Williams, “Abbott Elementary”
Henry Winkler, “Barry”

Writing for a Comedy Series
Bill Hader, “Barry” (“wow”)
Christopher Storer, “The Bear” (“System”)
Mekki Leeper, “Jury Duty” (“Ineffective Assistance”)
John Hoffman, Matteo Borghese, Rob Turbovsky, “Only Murders in the Building” (“I Know Who Did It”)
Chris Kelly, Sarah Schneider, “The Other Two” (“Cary & Brooke Go to an AIDS Play”)
Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly, Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso” (“So Long, Farewell”)

Directing for a Comedy Series
Mary Lou Belli, “The Ms. Pat Show” (“Don’t Touch My Hair”)
Tim Burton, “Wednesday” (“Wednesday’s Child is Full of Woe”)
Declan Lowney, “Ted Lasso” (“So Long, Farewell”)
Amy Sherman-Palladino, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (“Four Minutes”)
Christopher Storer, “The Bear” (“Review”)

edit: Adding the guest noms

Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Jon Bernthal (“The Bear”)
Luke Kirby (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
Nathan Lane (“Only Murders In The Building”)
Pedro Pascal (“Saturday Night Live”)
Oliver Platt (“The Bear”)
Sam Richardson (“Ted Lasso”)

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 13, 2023

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What was so great about Abbott Elementary? I've actually watched both seasons, it's not BAD, but it just seems like kind of a by-the-numbers school workplace comedy. I don't know why it gets so much attention.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A friend sold Abbott Elementary to me as good if not better than Parks and Rec... and I have no clue what they're talking about. Agree with ya that it's fine, but outside of the general morales of the show and clear goal to help raise awareness of public school blights, it's just so 'eh'.

Would be happy with Barry winning, as season 3 was pretty incredible. If the Bear winning increases the odds of them getting a third season tho, yes chef.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Phenotype posted:

What was so great about Abbott Elementary? I've actually watched both seasons, it's not BAD, but it just seems like kind of a by-the-numbers school workplace comedy. I don't know why it gets so much attention.
It’s elementary school Parks & Rec. The concept is real lazy.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vegetable posted:

They've submitted this at the Emmys as a comedy and it's been a weak year for comedies, so noms all around. Ebon Moss-Bachrach is probably the most deserving acting nod. I think they deserve it for directing, although I can't remember which episode Review was.

The only comedy I really enjoyed this past year was Mrs. Maisel. This is such a bleh list of shows.

Best Comedy
“Abbott Elementary” (ABC)
“Barry” (HBO)
“The Bear” (FX)
“Jury Duty” (Amazon Freevee)
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Prime Video)
“Only Murders in the Building” (Hulu)
“Ted Lasso” (Apple TV+)
“Wednesday” (Netflix)

Best Actor, Comedy
Bill Hader, “Barry”
Jason Segel, “Shrinking”
Martin Short, “Only Murders in the Building”
Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”
Jeremy Allen White, “The Bear”

Supporting Actress, Comedy
Alex Borstein, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
Ayo Edebiri, “The Bear”
Janelle James, “Abbott Elementary”
Sheryl Lee Ralph, “Abbott Elementary”
Juno Temple, “Ted Lasso”
Hannah Waddingham, “Ted Lasso”
Jessica Williams, “Shrinking”

Supporting Actor, Comedy
Anthony Carrigan, “Barry”
Phil Dunster, “Ted Lasso”
Brett Goldstein, “Ted Lasso”
James Marsden, “Jury Duty”
Ebon Moss-Bachrach, “The Bear”
Tyler James Williams, “Abbott Elementary”
Henry Winkler, “Barry”

Writing for a Comedy Series
Christopher Storer, “The Bear” (“System”)
Mekki Leeper, “Jury Duty” (“Ineffective Assistance”)
John Hoffman, Matteo Borghese, Rob Turbovsky, “Only Murders in the Building” (“I Know Who Did It”)
Chris Kelly, Sarah Schneider, “The Other Two” (“Cary & Brooke Go to an AIDS Play”)
Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly, Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso” (“So Long, Farewell”)

Directing for a Comedy Series
Mary Lou Belli, “The Ms. Pat Show” (“Don’t Touch My Hair”)
Tim Burton, “Wednesday” (“Wednesday’s Child is Full of Woe”)
Declan Lowney, “Ted Lasso” (“So Long, Farewell”)
Amy Sherman-Palladino, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (“Four Minutes”)
Christopher Storer, “The Bear” (“Review”)

edit: Adding the guest noms

Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Jon Bernthal (“The Bear”)
Luke Kirby (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
Nathan Lane (“Only Murders In The Building”)
Pedro Pascal (“Saturday Night Live”)
Oliver Platt (“The Bear”)
Sam Richardson (“Ted Lasso”)

So you can just make up which category your show is in based on Emmy availability?

Love to watch my favorite comedy tv show The Bear and my fav comedy movie Uncut Gems!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The bear is not a comedy, what.

How did Jamie Lee Curtis not get a nod here? She was unreal good in the christmas horror episode of the bear.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Season 1 is up for this Emmy cycle, not season 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finally finished the second season after taking a break (after episode six). I agree with the one or two goons who think that this season's setting the crew up for something of a fall; Carmine's basically recreated Joel McHale's fully automated death kitchen.

Can't decide whether I want the subplot with Jamie Lee Curtis to keep going (my preference) or for her two appearances this season to be the sum total of her arc (which feels a little less
"TV"). Same with Claire -- I'd have been fine with her being a one season love interest, but then the show puts so much weight on her during the Christmas flashback and it'll feel odd to me if that's it. But that would also be very TV in its own way.

The score in the finale was really tight.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I binge watched both Season 1 and 2 and I agree with most Goons opinions. I think Claire could have been handled better; she didn't move Carmy's story forward at all.

Season 1 felt like the Carmy/Syd show and giving the rest of the characters more screentime/episodes was a good change for Season 2. Marcus' and Richie's stories were really good; Tina's was good as well although it wasn't as focused on her.

The Christmas episode was incredible, Jamie Lee Curtis did an amazing job as the mom. The entire dysfunctional family was a car crash through the wall I could not stop watching.

Overall, the series is great and I'll definitely be recommending it to my friends who haven't seen it yet lol.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Just wrapped up season 2 and yeah, I generally liked it and seeing the characters undergo growth, but one thing bothered me: was there supposed to be a subtle joke in the conversation at the start of episode 8 about the fire suppression system? Claire says "Oh no, how often do you get to talk about sodium potassium bicarbonate?" Ma'am, you are an emergency medicine physician. You talk about sodium, potassium, and bicarbonate every time you order a metabolic panel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy, I hope someone got fired for THAT blunder.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All the research in the show went only into how abusive high end restaurant kitchens are.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He's impossibly handsome and has perfected the sad eyes wounded look. I am a hetero male and even I want to fix him

To me he'll always be the homeschooled kid from Movie 43 that gets mercilessly bullied and broken by his parents (Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber). That movie is so hosed up and terrible, but in a way that makes you want to keep watching.

And he has the craziest shade of turquoise in his eyes that I've never seen before in my life.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That one episode of Shameless really nailed it when he was looking at those paintings.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Finally got around to finishing this yesterday. I have a specific friend I watch it with so I had to wait around for them.

God what a phenomenal season of television this was. Yes, I get the complaints in the thread about classism and I agree with them, but I have to watch this as a show about artists making the best possible art they can and ignore the problematic reality of it. It’s really beautiful and it told a great story.

I was late on season one, so I heard so much about episode 7 being the most stressful television ever produced, but honestly I thought it was a good ride. It has NOTHING on episode 6 of season two. I have never felt so much anxiety and dread in an episode of television EVER. Thank goodness for Richie’s Adventure in Fine Dining after that because that really took so much of the edge off.

Richie gets the most character development this season, and I found it both earned and believable, especially after the flashback episode. He is someone who is limited in his skills and education but really wants to put in the effort to be more than his station. Until that episode, we’re seeing a man that is totally stuck in life. The love of his life left him, his best friend committed suicide, and now his new boss is changing the only thing he has left — a job he barely likes but at least it’s SOMETHING. And he learns in Forks that he already has all the skills to do this kind of work at the highest level. He just needed the chance.

Of course his change was dramatic on the outside because newfound purpose can do that. Nothing about his personality really changes. He’s just finally been pointed in the right direction because Carm is actually a really loving effective manager of people. (Which is the whole point of the finale — that the kitchen can actually function totally fine without Carm but only because of the work he put in to teach and organize everyone, but I’m talking about Richie.) I’m sure next season we will see Richie backslide in all kinds of ways, because it’s very easy to “change” that drastically on the short-term. The real test will be whether he can keep it up.

My biggest complaint about the season is Claire. She’s this perfect beautiful doctor model that spends all day helping people in flawless makeup but is totally in love with our hero and has no discernible personality outside of that. The actress sells the hell out of it on charm alone, but she feels like the writers never got past a vague outline of her character. I do hope she comes back and gets developed more beyond being a plot device for Carm. All the other female characters are very well rounded and three-dimensional so it’s strange to see one that follows so many lame tropes.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i felt so sorry for richie in season 1, it was a masterclass in making a character that is truly an abrasive rear end in a top hat, but so pathetic and vulnerable at his core. it's like a case study in a certain type of toxic masculinity. so i was real glad he got to turn things around this season, even if it was a bit unbelievable in how quick it was

i'm not sure if they kind of ran out of ideas or didn't have the time for it, but the resolution of ibrahim's arc this season kind of fell flat with me. it felt like a bunch of buildup that then just instantly deflated

also some really great guest pulls this season. considering that half the characters in episode 6 are either brand new on screen or have barely previously appeared, it's really impressive that they managed to put together such a cohesive performance

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

also some really great guest pulls this season. considering that half the characters in episode 6 are either brand new on screen or have barely previously appeared, it's really impressive that they managed to put together such a cohesive performance

It's wild and seems against traditional storytelling but it works that the two best scenes of the season involve guest stars. (Bernthal and Odenkirk, Pete and the mum) Just shows how well integrated they are.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Apparently they shot really fast too, which adds even more to how they pulled it off. Particularly in the Christmas episode, they shot everything but the dinner very, very fast. The dinner scene took way longer because of all the different shots they needed.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Binged whole show, liked it a lot.

Definitely see how the show could be seen as classism but I don't think the intent is there. It's just a big love letter to the effort that goes into fine dining and why it's not just a stupid rich person gimmick. The complaints are valid I just don't think the writers wanted that to come across in any way.

Great cast. Everyone kills it. Matty Matheson is amazing for a youtube guy and I'm glad to see him do well. All the guest stars were great additions without coming across as too cameo-ish except for maybe Jamie Lee Curtis. I thought her acting was a little over the top and emoting although I guess her character was supposed to be a little ridiculous. She was much better later on outside the restaurant.

I love the use of audio design in this show. There's constant background noise, satisfying foley for kitchen noises, actors will talk over each other on purpose. It just makes it all feel like a real restaurant.

The cinematography is fantastic. So many great uses of cuts for the frantic nature of a kitchen, angled shots to emphasize the chefs while they're plating dishes so you know it's more about them than the food, long one shots to stress out the confrontation moments. Christopher Storer is really talented and I've never heard of him before.

Writing is a bit weak at points. I didn't like the way they jumped from S1 to S2. Felt too unbelievable and unearned. It just feels like they have ideas to create adversity for the characters but don't really create much drama with them and are easily solved by a wave away. Power isn't working? Richie figures out how to get it to work. Gas stove won't work? Neil comes up with an idea and gets it to work. Feels empty. It's much stronger when they have the characters solve issues through their traits rather than just figuring something out. Also agree that some characters feel like shallow development without personalities, specifically Claire as she's just pretty much a way to show the audience that chefs will sacrifice their personal lives for their profession instead of being a character with depth.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

MokBa posted:

My biggest complaint about the season is Claire. She’s this perfect beautiful doctor model that spends all day helping people in flawless makeup but is totally in love with our hero and has no discernible personality outside of that. The actress sells the hell out of it on charm alone, but she feels like the writers never got past a vague outline of her character. I do hope she comes back and gets developed more beyond being a plot device for Carm. All the other female characters are very well rounded and three-dimensional so it’s strange to see one that follows so many lame tropes.

If she comes back, she's going to be more developed for sure, but I think the point of Claire is that she is supposed to be entirely idealized so that as an audience we think that being with her is unequivocally a good thing
for Carmy, because he deserves to have something good in his life outside of the restaurant. If there was something more difficult about her, we'd want Carmy to dump her so he could fully concentrate on his work.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It's more that she has no personality traits other than "is desperately in love with the main character"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

mcmagic posted:

IDK I didn't feel that way........ isn't the whole internet in love with Jeremy Allen White as we speak?

Not sure what you mean by this? Yes Claire was obsessed with him and trying to fix him. That's why the power-dynamic was hosed, all the focus in the relationship was on Carm and his problems.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
two things that jumped out as unrealistic -
-carmy seemingly not knowing what servsafe is, but that little scene seemed weird overall like it was sponsored by servsafe or something
-the walk-in handle would have not passed kitchen inspection that would let them open.

I binged both seasons in a few days and loved it. I could watch season 3 in a heartbeat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd be sad about Claire being a mere plot device serving only to throw a monkey wrench in Carmy's life if there weren't so many fully-developed women on the show, but as it stands, it feels like a very deliberate choice and not a blind spot.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So maybe I'm an idiot, but what exactly did Carm say in the walk-in that made Claire run out in tears? I might not have paid a ton of attention to the words as much as the mood, but I figured if you're saying poo poo like "I shouldn't have thought I could ever be happy" when you've been trapped in a freezer on your restaurant's opening night, the response she'd have would be more like "no way, everything's been running great all night, you're just spiraling because you're trapped and stressed." I didn't think he said anything that would cause the reaction she had but maybe I'm just bad at watching TV.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Phenotype posted:

So maybe I'm an idiot, but what exactly did Carm say in the walk-in that made Claire run out in tears? I might not have paid a ton of attention to the words as much as the mood, but I figured if you're saying poo poo like "I shouldn't have thought I could ever be happy" when you've been trapped in a freezer on your restaurant's opening night, the response she'd have would be more like "no way, everything's been running great all night, you're just spiraling because you're trapped and stressed." I didn't think he said anything that would cause the reaction she had but maybe I'm just bad at watching TV.

Carmy pretty much said he doesn't need amusement from anyone and doesn't want to provide amusement to anyone.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Phenotype posted:

He essentially calls having a relationship, basically any sort of happiness "loving bullshit" that distracts him from being the best.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I dunno, maybe I should go back and rewatch that bit. It struck me as kinda off -- if I cared about someone and found them depressed and ranting to themselves because they're stuck in a fridge during one of the most important nights of their lives, I don't know that I'd care too much about the actual words because yknow, obviously they're in a bit of a state. I wondered if I missed him saying something personal about Claire, like maybe it'd make sense if she heard him saying "that moron Claire thinks she can be with me" or something. If all she heard was like "happiness is loving bullshit I can't have that in my life" then cmon, that's obviously just an extremely depressive break during an extreme circumstance.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

I think it was supposed to be that due to the breakdown all of his real feelings spilled out and she knew what he was saying was how he earnestly felt, but I do agree and assume we will find out on ep 2 or 3 of the next season how that resolves

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

She also had just called him saying that she loved him and didn't know that he hadn't heard that yet, so for all she knew he was reacting negatively to that message too

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He was putting a gently caress-ton of pressure on himself and had been trapped in a walk-in for hours when literally two minutes is far too long so he exploded at somebody he really liked in an act of self-sabotage.

I'm really excited to see him grow past things like that. It's gonna' be great.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, maybe I should go back and rewatch that bit. It struck me as kinda off -- if I cared about someone and found them depressed and ranting to themselves because they're stuck in a fridge during one of the most important nights of their lives, I don't know that I'd care too much about the actual words because yknow, obviously they're in a bit of a state. I wondered if I missed him saying something personal about Claire, like maybe it'd make sense if she heard him saying "that moron Claire thinks she can be with me" or something. If all she heard was like "happiness is loving bullshit I can't have that in my life" then cmon, that's obviously just an extremely depressive break during an extreme circumstance.

That would be true if she were a person rather than a concept and a theme in human form.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phenotype posted:

It was probably better for her in the long term hearing him say that than having a manic depressive break and unloading on her like he ended up unloading on Richie.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I also didn't like it because miscommunication (in the literal sense) is such a lame plot device.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

kiminewt posted:

I also didn't like it because miscommunication (in the literal sense) is such a lame plot device.

Not to mention overused!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He's impossibly handsome and has perfected the sad eyes wounded look. I am a hetero male and even I want to fix him

Well you're in luck. he's gonna be in spandex for the IronClaw

Vegetable posted:

Agreed that Claire was a misfire. The actress is great. But she’s playing the textbook definition of a manic pixie dream girl. This was pretty backward storytelling.

I was thinking this half way through too, I kept expecting the to subvert it, give us an episode set in her A&E and compare it directly to a kitchen but it just got worse. Actor is great but really hope they flesh her out more in season 3 because right now she is a really badly written character in an otherwise very well written and character driven show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm just amazed they used 'Throw Your Arms Around Me' because I didn't think anyone in America knew that song.