Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Would have been a good one for me but got too cute and tried to put Marianick on the Astros WS team but I guess he missed the playoffs due to injury and it didn't count. Would have never gotten the Angels saves one anyway.

8/9 251 rarity, not bad

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

6/9 going straight from memory, but I got the one that matters: World Series Winner Nick Punto.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
K-Rod partially blew my rarity score but I couldn't think of anyone else for the Angels

Nolan Ryan was much higher for Angels/Astros than I expected

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
8/9 with a 152 rarity. guess which cardinal/cub I took two tries on! (please don't)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I didn't realize Rick Aguilera had so many saves till I threw him up as a Hail Mary.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My best grid yet, took me a bit but I was able to fulfill my self-imposed challenge of trying to fill every single square with somebody who was on the Cubs at some point:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm absolutely rotten at getting #rare players unless it's a guy who played for a team I follow, so I really savor days when the grid works in my favor and I get to toss out a Gary Gaetti type

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

finally managed to get a 0.2% guy on the football grid

tampa bay buccaneers super bowl champ rakeem nuñez-roches

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Didn't wanna take any chances on the bottom right, so my rarity went up to 121, but I got some good deep dives from the Stros, and memories of their battles with Cardinals in the mid 2000s.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
today i learned the texas rangers had 20-game winners

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Today I learned my guts have poo poo for brains.

"Oh this is obvious" I say, as I slam in entirely wrong answers, only to be greeted at the end by nine names I absolutely know and should have gotten.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I find that I mix up Tigers and Twins all the dang time

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Probably my best performance so far lol. I’d never have gotten a Rangers 20 game winner if that wasn’t my team though, Jesus Christ that organization has an awful pitching history. I still wasted a guess there on Aaron Sele, who won 18 and 19 games for the Rangers, but never 20.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 128 8/9:
Rarity: 268
🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜️🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Probably my best performance so far lol. I’d never have gotten a Rangers 20 game winner if that wasn’t my team though, Jesus Christ that organization has an awful pitching history. I still wasted a guess there on Aaron Sele, who won 18 and 19 games for the Rangers, but never 20.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 128 8/9:
Rarity: 268
🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜️🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

should've read the thread title for that middle one :v:

e: I am so stuck on Rangers 20 game winner. the obvious one is nolan ryan but they were dogshit while he was there so I don't think he got the wins

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 8, 2023

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Sitting 8/8 in the "20 game winning Ranger?!" camp.

Was 7/7 but got bored trying to actually remember things so I went with one of the 12/13 team guys and got lucky. You'd really start to kill it if you just memorized the right 5-6 guys. Like state capitals for middle aged nerds.

Edit: Rolled the dice. Missed. 8/9. Checking the answers - I don't feel bad.
Tried Gaylord Perry. 18 wins in 75 between Cleveland and Texas. Then 15 wins in 76 and 77. Then of course 21 with SD in the next year. Perry's a good player to know though - played for a lot of teams

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 8, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

IT SHOULD BE loving ILLEGAL TO PUT THE CHARLOTTE HORNETS IN AN IMMACULATE GRID!!!!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

IT SHOULD BE loving ILLEGAL TO PUT THE CHARLOTTE HORNETS IN AN IMMACULATE GRID!!!!!

Does it even have the old Hornets or did all of that go to the Pels?

e: rangers 20 game winner I gave up and just put Nolan, nope. lol there are only 3 correct answers

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 8, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
🏀 Immaculate Grid 15 9/9:
Rarity: 27
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Is 27 a good score?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My brain: Oh yeah Nolan Ryan definitely got 20 wins with the Rangers!

:negative:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This happened to me too.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I remember being in the CTA last year and seeing a Charlotte Hornets cap and thinking that '90s retro had gone far enough.

Boy was in for a wild Wikipedia dive.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I was sure that was wrong because he played on some really dogshit Rangers teams but I couldn't think of anyone else

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Intruder posted:

e: I am so stuck on Rangers 20 game winner. the obvious one is nolan ryan but they were dogshit while he was there so I don't think he got the wins

I was so annoyed cause I was trying to get cute and ended up getting a correct answer, but he was still 43% :mad: (Kevin Brown, how topical)

I got the Blue Jays 200k right, but I could've improved it by quite a bit if I just waited a little longer and thought about it guessed Clemens, should've done AJ Burnett

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ozymandius1024 posted:

I was so annoyed cause I was trying to get cute and ended up getting a correct answer, but he was still 43% :mad: (Kevin Brown, how topical)

I got the Blue Jays 200k right, but I could've improved it by quite a bit if I just waited a little longer and thought about it guessed Clemens, should've done AJ Burnett

I went with Robbie Ray who I expected to be lower than 7% tbh

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hey for future reference, does a player have to have actually played for the team, or does being under contract count? How is that determined?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hey for future reference, does a player have to have actually played for the team, or does being under contract count? How is that determined?

They have to have actually played for the team

The little FAQ they provide on the site is a actually pretty useful too (like a world series winner has to have actually played for the team during the post season, a traded player that played in the All Star game doesn't count for both teams that season, etc.)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Groovy. Follow up, the game lists that you can use previous iterations of a franchise if it changed names or cities, and I have already used this rule. However, the New Orleans Pelicans are really weird and used to be the Charlotte Hornets, but they have since re-added the Charlotte Hornets back to the league (skipping a couple of steps but that's the gist). Does a player from the 1990s Hornets count as both or just the Pelicans or just the Hornets? (I think they have the rights to the previous franchise's accomplishments)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think in that case the old Hornets count as Pels but I'm not 100% on that

But like the old Browns stuff would still belong to the Browns because they were a special case. It's confirmed that Expos players count for Nationals in the baseball grid

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I know the Bobcats count as the Hornets, but if it ever comes up, I would lose my goddamn mind if the game told me "Muggsy Bogues was never on the Charlotte Hornets"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Veryslightlymad posted:

I know the Bobcats count as the Hornets, but if it ever comes up, I would lose my goddamn mind if the game told me "Muggsy Bogues was never on the Charlotte Hornets"

I would throw my phone.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I actually checked and there’s a link you can click on the instructions that shows which teams count as the same franchise. Charlotte gets the old Charlotte Hornets and the Bobcats. Pelicans only get New Orleans era Hornets.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I like that the NBA pretty much just pretends the Bobcats never existed and the Hornets were there all along. If it weren’t for Chris Paul, it’d be pretty easy to memory hole everything about the New Orleans Hornets days too.

To be fair, I don’t think the first run Charlotte Hornets were memorable for anything but getting in front of the teal trend of the 90s and Muggsy Bogues.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Blind Pineapple posted:

I like that the NBA pretty much just pretends the Bobcats never existed and the Hornets were there all along. If it weren’t for Chris Paul, it’d be pretty easy to memory hole everything about the New Orleans Hornets days too.

To be fair, I don’t think the first run Charlotte Hornets were memorable for anything but getting in front of the teal trend of the 90s and Muggsy Bogues.

Grandma-ma

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I actually checked and there’s a link you can click on the instructions that shows which teams count as the same franchise. Charlotte gets the old Charlotte Hornets and the Bobcats. Pelicans only get New Orleans era Hornets.

oh well that actually helps a lot

the only bobcats/new hornets players I can ever remember are Kemba and Jeremy Lamb

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Every time I see the Hornets, I realize I can only match them with the Celtics (Kemba, Rozier, Hayward).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Immaculate Grid has exposed the fact that I can only name like 4 Angels players from any year prior to 2002 and only 1 of those was famous for playing for other teams.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

tadashi posted:

Immaculate Grid has exposed the fact that I can only name like 4 Angels players from any year prior to 2002 and only 1 of those was famous for playing for other teams.

Big same. The first guy I ever think of (for no good reason) is Tim Salmon, which is not super useful since he only ever played for the Angels :lol:

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Datsyuk should've worked in the NHL one today.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Minor operational brainfart as I was still in Twins Mode for... Pirates GG. (Joe Mauer did in fact win multiple GGs, just, y'know, never for the Pirates, who had a far more obvious answer.)

Stats wise, it sure helped to be a Twins fan today, as that seems to be where most people failed. Also loling at the recency bias in the Yankees ROTY. Slapped my answer in thinking there's no way there'd be anyone with a higher share, and yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Proud of my 1% and 2% pulls, but I was never gonna get Twins RotY