Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Finished my first non-voided run! Now I'm onto what I assume is hard mode. I dearly miss my burdens and am already swapped to a voided run on B004, of all places.

e: complaining on the internet, as always, has helped

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Hard mode does not joke around, it starts at the difficulty of the end of normal mode and goes up from there. I hate myself and will attempt getting all the gems without any burdens once I clear it and future me might not be happy.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Just got the JUSTICE scene depicted in the OP and all I have to say is loving :lmao:, I'm so happy that it's a thing.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I think I missed a scene using the shortcut mechanic. Can anyone tell me what happened in the scene before Gray gets knocked out and shes captured by Roland the prince

Edit: uhh also I discovered something new while alt tabbed....

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Any tips for the snake's mural? I went through and screenshotted all the rooms with her tail running through them but I'm struggling to put them together into anything that makes sense. The wording of the hint doesn't help. Are the rooms with parts of her tail supposed to be the tiles or the empty space in the brand?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Any tips for the snake's mural? I went through and screenshotted all the rooms with her tail running through them but I'm struggling to put them together into anything that makes sense. The wording of the hint doesn't help. Are the rooms with parts of her tail supposed to be the tiles or the empty space in the brand?

hint 1: the tail forms the empty space
hint 2: you've probably already noticed, but the tail's path doesn't always line up from room to room. there are some cases where the path's connections need to be inferred from diagonal connections
hint 3: the shading on the tail is notably darker on two places that mark the start and end of the tail's path
hint 4: the mural room is 6 by 6. for the tail path to work as a hint as intended, you can infer that the shape the path forms must be at least six tiles wide and six tiles tall

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

poe meater posted:

I think I missed a scene using the shortcut mechanic. Can anyone tell me what happened in the scene before Gray gets knocked out and shes captured by Roland the prince

Edit: uhh also I discovered something new while alt tabbed....

just go back for it later if you need to, you'll surely have reason to

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lih posted:

just go back for it later if you need to, you'll surely have reason to

quick note in addition to this: i would recommend keeping a document to track the floor numbers of all trees and other potential rooms of interest. that information comes in very handy in the long run

lih
May 15, 2013

there's a lot more that's worth keeping note of than that, make notes on everything

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

this is about as accurate as that part of the store page ever is, i assume?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
lmao raise your hand if you got dunked on on room B26 of Lillie mode with the staircase placement. it's the one with a horizontal row of leeches

restarted a run and managed to get my burdens back -- honestly even just having the wings changes up so many puzzles. i cannot concieve of doing a burdenless non-voided run, though i assume i'll have to at one point

Ciaphas posted:

it is similar in that you're cracking a larger puzzle over multiple runs (as well as uncovering shortcuts to make each run faster) but the main mode of the game is tile-based block puzzles, so you be down to do a lot of those. also it's much more anime

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ciaphas posted:

Eh, I'd call it tangentially similar in the sense that, while the puzzling is the biggest aspect, you're still gonna be "exploring" the game world in repeated runs, using small nuggets of information in order to suss out further small nuggets of information. Also in the sense that (while I'm not that far yet) there is clearly a fuckload going on underneath the immediately obvious.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

RoboCicero posted:

lmao raise your hand if you got dunked on on room B26 of Lillie mode with the staircase placement. it's the one with a horizontal row of leeches

:argh: And it happens multiple times! The worst is a Bee statue, though. I had to restart a run up to B054 again because while trying to solve it I accidentally skipped to 63 and knew there was a tree on 56 plus all those puzzles to enjoy.

Hard mode continues to amaze. I just got to 67 and earned my wings, and immediately on exiting to 71 and the next few floors it is painfully rubbed in that you require them to progress. I kept trying to find solutions but even with the wings it's barely possible. I am legitimately terrified of what will happen when I get to the sword :swoon:

lih posted:

there's a lot more that's worth keeping note of than that, make notes on everything

I've got a spreadsheet with a dozen pages and hundreds of entries of every little detail, almost all of it has been useful. The sheer density of this game is impressive.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

Structurally quite similar although without the whole real-time Majora's Mask thing going on. You gather information over the course of an (initially) long journey and eventually, on repeating it, you are able to use that knowledge to skip around and pinpoint secrets to u lock

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RoboCicero posted:

Yeeup, that one was the indoctrination point of "yes the devs are willing to do this to you"

they get real mean with it if you don't learn your lesson the first time, too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Eh, I'd call it tangentially similar in the sense that, while the puzzling is the biggest aspect, you're still gonna be "exploring" the game world in repeated runs, using small nuggets of information in order to suss out further small nuggets of information. Also in the sense that (while I'm not that far yet) there is clearly a fuckload going on underneath the immediately obvious.
that is the definition of "related" i wanted but never ever expected to hear. ohboy ohboy ohboy :dance:

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
So I'm on floor 130ish on my first playthrough and lost all my lives a while ago, ate the fruit, and am now voided so (I think) I can't collect more crystals. Also I think I passed up two of the murals without finding the solutions. I got the first one that lets me talk to rocks but at this point I feel like I've missed enough of the secrets that I'm kind of wishing I could start over. Does the game generally expect you to go voided the first time through? I'm figuring there's a replay mechanic once you finish since AFAICT there's no way to delete my save?

Honestly I'm missing the tension of trying to avoid death to preserve my locusts but a few puzzles kicked my rear end enough that maybe having infinite lives is a fine enough way to do the first playthrough before I learn the deep puzzle solving tactics.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
On a first playthrough, yes the intent is very much to be voided. It will make sense once you finish and you're not permanently missing out on anything.

Swilo posted:

Hard mode continues to amaze. I just got to 67 and earned my wings, and immediately on exiting to 71 and the next few floors it is painfully rubbed in that you require them to progress. I kept trying to find solutions but even with the wings it's barely possible. I am legitimately terrified of what will happen when I get to the sword :swoon:

On second thought, I warped backwards from 84 to see levels 68-70 and attempted them all again. Only 3 levels so far (75 or 76 I forget, 101, 110) have eluded me without wings. I believe every level may be winnable with no burdens, but wow are they ever tough and not worth the aggravation. Stopped at 112 for the night, looking forward to more tomorrow.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm currently very stuck in hard mode b101, the items were all missing I guess because I took them in normal mode, and I cannot parse out how this floor is possible without wings. I'm getting tempted to just force a full reset and poke at some of the various weird threads that I never messed with too badly in normal mode.

lih
May 15, 2013

finished hard mode and how deep does this get??? there are still a million threads to chase up too

Einwand posted:

I'm currently very stuck in hard mode b101, the items were all missing I guess because I took them in normal mode, and I cannot parse out how this floor is possible without wings. I'm getting tempted to just force a full reset and poke at some of the various weird threads that I never messed with too badly in normal mode.

if you start a new run it's possible to start with all the burdens as lillie.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chumpy posted:

So I'm on floor 130ish on my first playthrough and lost all my lives a while ago, ate the fruit, and am now voided so (I think) I can't collect more crystals. Also I think I passed up two of the murals without finding the solutions. I got the first one that lets me talk to rocks but at this point I feel like I've missed enough of the secrets that I'm kind of wishing I could start over. Does the game generally expect you to go voided the first time through? I'm figuring there's a replay mechanic once you finish since AFAICT there's no way to delete my save?

Honestly I'm missing the tension of trying to avoid death to preserve my locusts but a few puzzles kicked my rear end enough that maybe having infinite lives is a fine enough way to do the first playthrough before I learn the deep puzzle solving tactics.

Not only does the game intend for you to be voided at some point on your initial go-round, I'm pretty sure the devs set it up in a way to actively troll anyone who manages not to

Einwand posted:

if you haven't managed to die fully in hard mode yet, in a "no locusts and refuse the fruit" way then you will probably find doing so to be Very Informative And Helpful

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

lih posted:

finished hard mode and how deep does this get??? there are still a million threads to chase up too

:getin:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Took a little break before returning to the game, just now figured out the amount of levels the laughing statues allow you to skip corresponds to the number of locusts you had in your inventory; I'd previously assumed this was a fixed value.

I'll sometimes click on spoilered screenshots when it's someone asking for help on a floor I've solved, and a bunch of you have some cube I've never seen, even while voided; one of you had a different character too. I'm not even below the surface of the iceberg, am I? And here I thought I cool for figure out how to travel to B000.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Seafood posted:

Took a little break before returning to the game, just now figured out the amount of levels the laughing statues allow you to skip corresponds to the number of locusts you had in your inventory; I'd previously assumed this was a fixed value.

I'll sometimes click on spoilered screenshots when it's someone asking for help on a floor I've solved, and a bunch of you have some cube I've never seen, even while voided; one of you had a different character too. I'm not even below the surface of the iceberg, am I? And here I thought I cool for figure out how to travel to B000.

You've peered down a clear portion of it to a much deeper part while camping on the surface, yes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm kind of stuck (20 hours in) I've gotten real endings with Gray, Lillie, and Cif but don't really know where to go from here. There are still three murals I can't read (the one with the giant hole, the one missing half, and the blank one at the end). I haven't taken good enough notes either there's something I'm supposed to do 23 times but I forget what it is. Not sure how I'm going to proceed with this game from here I can't just go from 1 to 255 over and over.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

I'm kind of stuck (20 hours in) I've gotten real endings with Gray, Lillie, and Cif but don't really know where to go from here. There are still three murals I can't read (the one with the giant hole, the one missing half, and the blank one at the end). I haven't taken good enough notes either there's something I'm supposed to do 23 times but I forget what it is. Not sure how I'm going to proceed with this game from here I can't just go from 1 to 255 over and over.

Next general steps all revolve around Snake Lady. Also I believe they have to be done with Gray or Lillie.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

No Wave posted:

All of the Largest Progression Hints are, iirc, in the glyph rooms so just hitting those in succession should kickstart your retroactive notes

The half-mural isn't really a puzzle, just kind of stupid each of the tiles you can look at it from shows a different half of the mural

The one with the hole in the middle has a nearby very relevant hint from a rock. there's something different about some of the rooms in that chunk of levels

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol B208

lih
May 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

i'm pretty sure the info about doing something 23 times is in the room you get to via the mural with a giant hole? the second mural (which is the most ridiculous to figure out)

here are a few other things to look into though:
have you noticed the floor number that's skipped over?
have you been to b000?
have you learned all of mon's shortcuts?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So I finished my first non-VOID run and got an "ending" of sorts that unlocked what I assume is hard mode. I promptly died on B3 and decided to see what would happen if I refused the void fruit and just gave up, both to try it and to see if I could go back to "normal mode" if I wanted to.

But it seems to have reset nearly the entire game. I was asked to re-engrave my brand and (in normal mode at least) all of the cutscene trees and NPCs appear to have gone back to their initial state. The game clearly remembers a handful of things, like my unlocked Memories and (spoilers for those who have unlocked hard mode: I have a few "cheat code" brands to start with some burdens or on hard mode if I want, though the game is cagey about whether it'll gently caress me down the line if I use them). I guess my question is, did I just gently caress myself, and if so, how badly? Do I need to go back and re-view the tree cutscenes and the "ending" I got, or will the game remember that I've done that stuff? And are there any consequences to using the spoilered bits above on either normal or hard mode?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

B220

how

lih
May 15, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I finished my first non-VOID run and got an "ending" of sorts that unlocked what I assume is hard mode. I promptly died on B3 and decided to see what would happen if I refused the void fruit and just gave up, both to try it and to see if I could go back to "normal mode" if I wanted to.

But it seems to have reset nearly the entire game. I was asked to re-engrave my brand and (in normal mode at least) all of the cutscene trees and NPCs appear to have gone back to their initial state. The game clearly remembers a handful of things, like my unlocked Memories and (spoilers for those who have unlocked hard mode: I have a few "cheat code" brands to start with some burdens or on hard mode if I want, though the game is cagey about whether it'll gently caress me down the line if I use them). I guess my question is, did I just gently caress myself, and if so, how badly? Do I need to go back and re-view the tree cutscenes and the "ending" I got, or will the game remember that I've done that stuff? And are there any consequences to using the spoilered bits above on either normal or hard mode?

use the brands, you aren't punished for it. there are some situations where not using the infinity brand is helpful (having a finite number of locusts seems to be necessary for a few things) and at least one minor thing where not having a burden changes something, but that's it. the game remembers you got the ending - that unlocked lillie after all, her brand is just the way to start a run as her instead of as gray.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

y/n: is the game supposed to close (crash?) when i rest at trees? seems like yes given everything's fine on relaunch but i hate games doing that so i always ask

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

y/n: is the game supposed to close (crash?) when i rest at trees? seems like yes given everything's fine on relaunch but i hate games doing that so i always ask

yes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

lih posted:

i'm pretty sure the info about doing something 23 times is in the room you get to via the mural with a giant hole? the second mural (which is the most ridiculous to figure out)

here are a few other things to look into though:
have you noticed the floor number that's skipped over?
have you been to b000?
have you learned all of mon's shortcuts?
Do I really need to learn every shortcut? I killed the snake and have gone to Cif's room but all it gave me was a lot of locusts. There's almost certainly another seal given the metroid statue, I've killed bigMon (in Cif's playthrough) and tail.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I need help with the fleshy route
I saw wavy stink lines soon after the room with the big head and jumped down. the goal for previous floors was "remove the correct floor tile", but here I haven't got a clue.

Edit: found it! it's under the button

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 10, 2023

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Finally did a run without voiding. What the gently caress.
Can I get back to Grey mode somehow? I still never solved half the brands, and I never figured out the deal with the Picross puzzles. Any hints for them? I understand Picross, but I never found a floor to input a solution.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

Can I get back to Grey mode somehow? I still never solved half the brands, and I never figured out the deal with the Picross puzzles. Any hints for them? I understand Picross, but I never found a floor to input a solution.

if you refuse the fruit, you can reset progress. certain progress is saved across different runs, so don't worry about losing too much time

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Bad Seafood posted:

Join us down here, we have such sights to show you :unsmigghh:

Elswyyr posted:

Regarding the nonograms, they aren't something like the brands which you input in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hard B152 is breaking my brain. I hate these mirror movement puzzles.