Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I can quit any time I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Brandon will make it to the merge and beyond, not by being an amazing competitor but by being so wildly non-threatening that other people fling themselves out of the game ahead of him to his increasing confusion. Every three episodes will feature him lying prone and lifeless after a challenge as the drone/chopper pans back on the scene.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Why did Emily think Sabiyah was a physical powerhouse? She could barely get thru the immunity challenge.

Maybe a lil :tinfoil: but she really only hated Black players huh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watching episode now and the audio-description narrator got hands. When Brandon was struggling in the water Jeff says he is having a hard time and the audio description narrator goes "he sure is" lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Did they intentionally cast all insane people this season or was that a happy coincidence?

maybealabia posted:

Didn't she explicitly say she was having nicotine withdrawals?

Did they not learn their lesson with Shane lol.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DrVenkman posted:

Jeff has said he was irate at casting for letting Hannah on, but also that before social media he would've given her a lot more poo poo (he mentions he used to see his job as the audience surrogate), but now he knows she's going to be subjected to so much anyway that it's pointless. He *did* look pissed off though.

Honestly I was half expecting him to not even give her the "tribe has spoken" line.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

aidoru posted:

Why did Emily think Sabiyah was a physical powerhouse? She could barely get thru the immunity challenge.

Maybe a lil :tinfoil: but she really only hated Black players huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IciBKdPlLfE

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
They need to like require people to be off nicotine before they leave ponderosa I guess.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Emily getting into beefs with almost all the black people she possibly could almost instantly was some big "I was homeschooled" energy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol this tribe with 2 wannabe quitters and a person nobody wants to be around

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

lol this tribe with 2 wannabe quitters and a person nobody wants to be around

i need to know their usernames

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Yo did this lady think taking 300 mg of Adderall all at once before she flew out was going to get her through the season or what

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha yeesh what a batch of friggin goobers. i'd think emily would stick around annoyingly long but pretty sure that whole tribe is just gonna fall apart ASAP

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khanstant posted:

haha yeesh what a batch of friggin goobers. i'd think emily would stick around annoyingly long but pretty sure that whole tribe is just gonna fall apart ASAP

that tribe is 100% hosed like that one tribe in philipines down to the only two competent people being the only people to survive it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"We can do hard things" - person who quit from light adversity

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tony quidtana posted:

Did they intentionally cast all insane people this season or was that a happy coincidence?

Could be like when they intentionally cast people with low IQ for Survivor One World

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They should intentionally cast dumb people every season, dumb players make very fun seasons.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khanstant posted:

"We can do hard things" - person who quit from light adversity

Something I was wondering was whether she was one of those people who switched from smoking cigarettes to vaping all the while proclaiming that they quit smoking only to just now be hit with actual nicotine withdrawal and realise she was hosed as a result of that. Either way I can't imagine any of her therapy patients watching her fold like a wet paper bag during what was basically a weekend camp trip was particularly confidence inspiring for their next session with her lol

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

njsykora posted:

They should intentionally cast dumb people every season, dumb players make very fun seasons.

Counterpoint

Nihonniboku posted:

Could be like when they intentionally cast people with low IQ for Survivor One World

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Studio posted:

Counterpoint

Counter counter point Fabio did something nice for dogs so who can say it was a bad idea

Edit: I am in no way sure this is an accurate comment

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

Something I was wondering was whether she was one of those people who switched from smoking cigarettes to vaping all the while proclaiming that they quit smoking only to just now be hit with actual nicotine withdrawal and realise she was hosed as a result of that. Either way I can't imagine any of her therapy patients watching her fold like a wet paper bag during what was basically a weekend camp trip was particularly confidence inspiring for their next session with her lol

Should've added smokes as a prize for motivation! And lol I missed that she was a therapist.

I think the best play at the TC would've been to say I was still voting for Hannah and hopefully getting both Brandon and Hannah to use their shot in the darks. Best case scenario Hannah is voted out and Brandon and Hannah both waste shot in dark and then quit from the additional stress.

This leaves you with a tiny doomed tribe but with the least bad members possible. Maybe they merge or shuffle tribes early in response, maybe you try best and flame out faster but I kind of think carrying the local antagonist and dead weight might be worse.

In any case I suspect we will see a lot of this tribe for a few episodes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's too much big braining for what is a pretty straightforward situation assuming you're coming from the power duo pyramid battery alliance. Next tribal council you just go to Brandon and say look if you vote either of us out you're actually going to need to do work and he either hops to your side, quits or has a panic attack so bad he slips into a coma and is medically evacuated. Assuming its one of the latter two you then go to the guy who was in hysterics over someone he vaguely knew for 72 hours quitting and say "look do you really want to go to rocks for Emily?" at which point he flips.

To be honest I think this tribe gets down to two and then it merges into two tribes. I would be shocked if this tribe doesn't see the next 2 tribal councils if not 3.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
As a fellow Brandon, I really wish he'd have just been put out of his misery instead of the lamest opener.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Holy poo poo, just watched the episode, and I don't think I can name a worse tribe in 44 seasons of the show. Closest competition has to be Brains from Cagayan, except Kass was actually one of the better players on that tribe, whereas Kass 2.0 might get voted out over the guy who's having daily aneurysms.

This might already be my favorite season of the new era? It's been a while since we had a Gabon/Worlds Apart 'oops-all-freaks' season. The shine could come off it layer, but right now I'm definitely not bored!

Obviously the other tribes didn't get as much attention as the Ancient Aliens crew, but I wasn't expecting Sifu to be a chaotic over-player. It's also gonna be hilarious if it turns out everyone hates Bruce when he's not concussed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s impressive that Emily can single herself out as the absolute worst on a tribe of quitters, emotional and physical wrecks, and people who believe aliens built the pyramids.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Lulu tribe was so insufferable to watch that I just skipped the last half+ of pre-tribal "strategizing" and also the entire tribal through to the "vote" did I miss anything important.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The Lulu tribe was so insufferable to watch that I just skipped the last half+ of pre-tribal "strategizing" and also the entire tribal through to the "vote" did I miss anything important.

not only did you, everyone did as the producers completely snipped out a player from another tribe visiting the yellow camp and getting to cast a vote at treemail

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hold no ill will towards Hannah. Quitting isn’t great for the game but it’s just a game/show. If something is hurting you and you can walk away that might be the healthy choice. The internet and survivor fanbase is so hateful and obsessed I have no doubt she’s now getting the worst poo poo thrown at her. For a dumb tv show. Sigh.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I hold no ill will towards Hannah. Quitting isn’t great for the game but it’s just a game/show. If something is hurting you and you can walk away that might be the healthy choice. The internet and survivor fanbase is so hateful and obsessed I have no doubt she’s now getting the worst poo poo thrown at her. For a dumb tv show. Sigh.

Yeah nah. Sorry but gently caress her. If she can't make it 3 days then she probably had an inkling that this wasn't going to pan out if she put even a modicum of forethought into whether to go through with this. There's plenty of abandoned pets in shelters now because shitheads got them during the pandemic and didn't consider at all if that was a good sustainable longterm decision to make before going ahead and making said decision. This sort of line of thinking should absolutely be poo poo on. Think before you act.

edit: just to be clear, I also think the dude who couldn't climb up a ladder without having a panic attack and was burping up a storm from anxiety/acid reflux probably should've spent literally any amount of time considering whether it was a good idea to go ahead with playing. Not only are these morons taking the spot of people who actually can play and want to but they're just torpedoing their whole loving tribe into a death spiral in the process. they're both complete loving morons.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 29, 2023

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Hannah mentioned going a ton of prep and reading all these books, but I wonder if she tried a weekend camping trip.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People make mistakes. No one was harmed by Hannah’s. No animal or human. At most some random person didn’t get on a tv show. There was no malice, just someone taking on a challenge she wasn’t up for. Learn to forgive and empathize and gently caress hate. Especially people trying to malicious harm someone, something she never did.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

her quitting kept emily in the game and for my entertainment thats only a good thing so i thank her

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Survivor casting just needs to do a way better job of screening people I think. Stuff like a nicotine addiction or a reliance on acid reflux controlling medication should either be planned for or just disqualify people.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think it really is within casting's ability to be making a judgement call whether you can hack it. Shane Powers did fine, albeit somewhat unhinged, with nicotine withdrawal. These people really need to just consider whether they personally are up for doing something like this and be realistic if they very clearly are not.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nobody is going to realistically give up on their dream in a situation like that, nor will they even be capable of "being realistic" about it. And sometimes when you are realistic you're just wrong.

Which is why a third party needs to be the one to do it for them.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

STONE COLD 64 posted:

her quitting kept emily in the game and for my entertainment thats only a good thing so i thank her

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
it's loving hilarious that on On Fire: The Official Survivor Podcast Jeff went out of his way to passively aggressively poo poo on Adam's business helping people get on the show. Specifically by saying that they you just need to be yourself and that the casting department knows what it's doing when in the EXACT same episode they had their worst casting mistake in ages

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tbh i feel like nicotine patches and acid reflux medication etc such should be allowed but then again i dunno what the side effects of that stuff while malnourished are i am no doctor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

That's too much big braining for what is a pretty straightforward situation assuming you're coming from the power duo pyramid battery alliance. Next tribal council you just go to Brandon and say look if you vote either of us out you're actually going to need to do work and he either hops to your side, quits or has a panic attack so bad he slips into a coma and is medically evacuated. Assuming its one of the latter two you then go to the guy who was in hysterics over someone he vaguely knew for 72 hours quitting and say "look do you really want to go to rocks for Emily?" at which point he flips.

To be honest I think this tribe gets down to two and then it merges into two tribes. I would be shocked if this tribe doesn't see the next 2 tribal councils if not 3.

Not sure it's a big brainer so much as a fatalistic drama moment where you'd be part of the first first tribal where 3 people leave not using seasonal gimmick. That's how you get on the Wheaties box!

And have no Ill will towards the quitters besides it's just funny how terribly they judged their ability here. I am surprised we've gone this many seasons without something like this so immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have for the most part lost interest in modern US survivor, but I came back to it this season for the extra long episodes, and while Lulu tribe is a disaster, it's also the reason I'm coming back next week. I want to see how low they can go