Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bear is fat bear?
This poll is closed.
480 Otis 7 11.48%
409 Beadnose 0 0%
747 26 42.62%
435 Holly 10 16.39%
A New Challenger 18 29.51%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Leave posted:

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate that you guys answer my questions without making me feel like an idiot. I just wanna smoke weed and play video games, why does politics have to be so scary and confusing

politics are scary and confusing because people are scary and confusing

these people have access to bajillionty dollars and absurd power, so of course weird broken systems are going to be designed to try and keep them in check

like the above, where Gaetz can't talk at the Republican podium because McCarthy allies are blocking him from going to the Republican side, therefore Omar side-eye

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The vote is happening. :getin:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My crackpot solution is a "neutral" non-member of the House to be Speaker that Republicans and poo poo-lib Dems can all agree on. An elder statesman like George W. Bush.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

My crackpot solution is a "neutral" non-member of the House to be Speaker that Republicans and poo poo-lib Dems can all agree on. An elder statesman like George W. Bush.

I really thought the spoiler there was going to be the ghost of Ronald Reagan.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Appoint Dwayne Johnson as speaker so he can interrupt blathering idiots in classic Attitude Era Rock style.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
yeah rip

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1709308845908971758?t=KZA_Btk-e_VpNQ-mKSEltQ&s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:yeshaha:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

WOO LETS FUKKIN GOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hope the gop finishes it's Whig speed run soon and in nearly the same way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wait....

It only took 8 republicans to cross their arms and go "NUH UH WE DONT LIKE HIM" and the rest of it was the democrats agreeing goin' "YEA LETS GO CHAOS REIGNS!!!!!". I thought it was most of the republican caucus wanting to hang him. Politics is weird.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I was looking back earlier and over the past ~68 years the GOP has had the following Speakers:

Newt Gingrich
Dennis Hastert
John Boehner
Paul Ryan
Kevin McCarthy
TBD

I absolutely can't wait to see who they pick to join those illustrious ranks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Steezo posted:

WOO LETS FUKKIN GOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hope the gop finishes it's Whig speed run soon and in nearly the same way.

I'm hoping this wakes up enough idiot Republicans to make the MAGAts pariahs and end the movement, but that's too much to hope for.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm hoping this wakes up enough idiot Republicans to make the MAGAts pariahs and end the movement, but that's too much to hope for.
If an actual no-poo poo insurrection against our government didn't what hope does this have?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Defenestrategy posted:

Wait....

It only took 8 republicans to cross their arms and go "NUH UH WE DONT LIKE HIM" and the rest of it was the democrats agreeing goin' "YEA LETS GO CHAOS REIGNS!!!!!". I thought it was most of the republican caucus wanting to hang him. Politics is weird.

And that's why Pelosi basically had the congressional house equivalent to superpowers. She had roughly the same levels of majority for years, never had the few Democrats go NUH UH, and passed tons of poo poo.

Now granted, she had different agreed-upon rules where single randos wouldn't be able to call for a kick-out vote. McCarthy had to make that deal with ~10 Republicans to get the speakership - thus why Gaetz could call this vote.

Also why backbencher House members are generally dying to become Senators, or Governors, or anything besides this stupid poo poo.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

facialimpediment posted:

McCarthy had to make that deal with ~10 Republicans to get the speakership - thus why Gaetz could call this vote.

:lol: I had forgotten all about that. Eat poo poo McCarthy.

It can always get worse, of course, but find joy wherever you can I guess.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1709303547387408595?t=aHKoONJXKajpmyBsLC1oMA&s=19

:tviv:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

McCarthy sacrificed his speakership so that Fat Bear Week could live.

Never has a greater hero walked these halls.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

lol didn't realize just how completely without precedence voting out the Speaker is

quote:

The only other time the House voted on whether to remove a sitting Speaker was in 1910, when Speaker Joe Cannon (R-Ill.) prevailed and kept his gavel. The only other “motion to vacate” attempt was in 2015, when then-Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) made a move to oust Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) — but it was referred to committee and never received a vote.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

pantslesswithwolves posted:

McCarthy sacrificed his speakership so that Fat Bear Week could live.

Never has a greater hero walked these halls.

Bracket's up by the way. 32 Chunk got a bye, as did 747 and on opposite sides. I could see them being the final. 128 Grazer is an absolute unit this year though. 435 Holly also got a bye and could end up going head to head with 747 on the right side. Looks to be an exciting year!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
So does this mean we get a burn-it-down idiot for speaker for a government shutdown the week before thanksgiving?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Eason the Fifth posted:

So does this mean we get a burn-it-down idiot for speaker for a government shutdown the week before thanksgiving?

Yep. All thanks to those Democrats. :doom:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How do you apply for the Speakership? Can I write my Congresscritter?

My main qualification will be that I can't do any worse.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Eason the Fifth posted:

I have no idea.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1709340207206551851

The rank-and-file are pissed at the flamethrowers. The flamethrowers probably won't vote for a rank-and-file guy. Big ol' mystery!

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Hello

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

that's the right file but you need to upload it, not just post the name

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1709330618184843511

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Hello, I hope you are having a good day too

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPuTgyaM7cw

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wrong Theory posted:

Bracket's up by the way. 32 Chunk got a bye, as did 747 and on opposite sides. I could see them being the final. 128 Grazer is an absolute unit this year though. 435 Holly also got a bye and could end up going head to head with 747 on the right side. Looks to be an exciting year!

Can we get a redo of the poll? Mods? The bracket is listed in the OP now but yeah you have to make a poll when you make the thread and then only mods can edit it.

I don't want non-active choices on the poll but didn't know who they were going to put in the bracket

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

facialimpediment posted:

I have no idea.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1709340207206551851

The rank-and-file are pissed at the flamethrowers. The flamethrowers probably won't vote for a rank-and-file guy. Big ol' mystery!

Is that Liz Cheneys music???

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Zombie times are coming!

https://twitter.com/gbosslet/status/1709252316518314410?t=Nqx8YgcIOSoRgPBEtxp2Uw&s=19

Fuckin' broke brain all day, every day.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
why does it feel like in the last 20 years everyone has just gotten so loving dumb. its not like people werent dumb before but its like we're on a different level now. it feels like so many peoples brains have just turned to complete poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't make me tap the logo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1pm, right? Does everyone have their environmental storytelling setups planned?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

why does it feel like in the last 20 years everyone has just gotten so loving dumb. its not like people werent dumb before but its like we're on a different level now. it feels like so many peoples brains have just turned to complete poo poo.

It’s just that everyone is on the internet. It’s eternal septembers all the way down.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Turns out the internet does make you stupid.

Also decades of right wing propaganda, they revel in low-brain-power hatred of the 'other'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Spirit Otter posted:

“The Internet makes you stupid.”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

You just get to see everyone's drunk Thanksgiving uncles 24/7 rather than just your own once a year.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

My Spirit Otter posted:

goin with this

quote:

...The current global average concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is 421 ppm as of May 2022 (0.04%).[3] This is an increase of 50% since the start of the Industrial Revolution, up from 280 ppm during the 10,000 years prior to the mid-18th century.[4][3][5] The increase is due to human activity.[6] Burning fossil fuels is the main cause of these increased CO2 concentrations and also the main cause of climate change.[7] Other large anthropogenic sources include cement production, deforestation, and biomass burning. ...

Estimates in 2001 found that the current carbon dioxide concentration in the atmosphere may be the highest in the last 20 million years.[25] This figure has been corrected down since then, whereby the latest estimate is now 14 million years (estimate from 2013).[15] Most recently, IPCC AR6 (see for example figure 2.34) reports similar levels 3-3.3 mya in the mid-Pliocene warm period. AR6 reports this period as a good proxy for likely climate outcomes with current levels of CO2.

Data from 2009 found that the global mean CO2 concentration was rising at a rate of approximately 2 ppm/year and accelerating.[26][27]

The daily average concentration of atmospheric CO2 at Mauna Loa Observatory first exceeded 400 ppm on 10 May 2013[28][29] although this concentration had already been reached in the Arctic in June 2012.[30] Data from 2013 showed that the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is this high "for the first time in 55 years of measurement—and probably more than 3 million years of Earth history."[31]

As of 2018, CO2 concentrations were measured to be 410 ppm.[26][32]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_in_Earth%27s_atmosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Midjack posted:

You just get to see everyone's drunk Thanksgiving uncles 24/7 rather than just your own once a year.

The internet let all the village idiots find and talk to each other, creating the worst negative reinforcement cycle. Each idiot adds their stupidity to the echo chamber creating a cacophony of chaotic content circling into a corpulent crypt of crap.