Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ignoring peoples texts when they buzz your wrists now with the haptic feedback is a clutch power move. either that or it's incredibly pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Thanks Ants posted:

I quite like the Withings watches, if I wore a watch I would probably try one of those. I'm not interested in having to put a watch on charge every day or having it ring when someone calls me.

i turned notification sounds and vibrations off the first time i was getting called while at work and my hands weren't free. moving a bunch of heavy equipment with other people and the whole time my watch is in my face ringing and buzzing it was annoying as gently caress lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anybody who has a smart watch linked to their work phone or work apps needs counselling

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

how about watch chat featuring noted F1 driver favorite

US customs officers seized a fake Richard Mille watch. If real, it would have been worth $3.7 million

The watch in question lmao loving $3.7 milly for this

US customs really doing god's work taking that monstrosity out of public circulation. God speed 🫡

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

They don't make Honda Fits anymore, what do I do when my Manual Fit gives up the ghost? Why is it so hard to fork over money to Toyota for a Hilux?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm in for the off season that is going to be more exciting that the 2023 season!

Who is taking home the Bacon Briefcase this time?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How many “Lewis to Red Bull” rumours will get printed

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

How many “Lewis to Red Bull” rumours will get printed

Who would actually replace Lewis at Merc though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
McLaren are poo poo.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Custard Undies posted:

Who would actually replace Lewis at Merc though.

Max

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Feels Villeneuve posted:

McLaren are poo poo.

:mods:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

There were rumors that FOM was trying to get leclerc into the second Red Bull seat to make next season interesting

Virtually the same formula, same teams, same drivers.

It’s gonna suck

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

this was my first year following F1 and a common complaint I heard is "Well it's the car that makes RB win, it's built for Max you know"

I dont understand it tbh isnt the entire point to build a car for Max? I guess I'm confused as to why "it's the car" invalidates the wins for some people when the entire point of the sport is to build a car. I feel like im fundamentally misunderstanding something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Feels Villeneuve posted:

McLaren are poo poo.

crapaya boys

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
This season's F1 thread got 170 less pages worth of posts compared to 2022. The verstappenreich has been boring af

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

This season's F1 thread got 170 less pages worth of posts compared to 2022. The verstappenreich has been boring af

99% less posts of Lewis getting in there sadly! :aliexpress:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ethanol posted:

both my toaster and my air fryer are broken. the future sucks man. I asked about a toaster in the other thread and somebody told me to get a $300 toaster. I am not ferrari, im not going to spend $300 on a toaster. now a $1000 toaster, that would show class I think. are there any $1000 toasters?

get the panasonic toaster oven and paint it ~ ~ ~ R o s s o  C o r s a ~ ~ ~

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

ilmucche posted:

yep. bad for the sport.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Less Poois Shamilton posts = superior thread

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

this was my first year following F1 and a common complaint I heard is "Well it's the car that makes RB win, it's built for Max you know"

I dont understand it tbh isnt the entire point to build a car for Max? I guess I'm confused as to why "it's the car" invalidates the wins for some people when the entire point of the sport is to build a car. I feel like im fundamentally misunderstanding something.

Max is one of those drivers that likes an incredibly unstable car because it means he can go faster. Nando and the late Ayrton loved an unstable car as well. Because the car is unstable, it’s incredibly hard to drive. So drivers who like a neutral car like Checo, I assume, and Jenson who historically preferred a neutral car can’t drive an unstable car to its full potential.

Now why Ricciardo couldn’t drive a McLaren to its full potential, but he could a Red Bull tells me he wasn’t able to adapt to non-Neweymobiles.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

Max is one of those drivers that likes an incredibly unstable car because it means he can go faster. Nando and the late Ayrton loved an unstable car as well. Because the car is unstable, it’s incredibly hard to drive. So drivers who like a neutral car like Checo, I assume, and Jenson who historically preferred a neutral car can’t drive an unstable car to its full potential.

Now why Ricciardo couldn’t drive a McLaren to its full potential, but he could a Red Bull tells me he wasn’t able to adapt to non-Neweymobiles.

That makes sense, but I'm confused about why that upsets people, or why it's viewed as unfair or unsportmanlike. My understanding is "Max's car is faster but harder to control, but he has the skill to control it".

Are the other teams just salty he's able to control a car? Or is there a rule or something RB is bypassing to get the car like that? I'm genuinely just baffled why the whole "it's the car" argument is a thing in a league about building and racing cars.

It feels kinda like somebody saying "well ya kno, Gretzky is only so good because he can really control the stick well". Like....yes? Isn't that the idea?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I asked this before the thread closed - anyone ever been to the Shanghai race? Good or bad?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lance ain't coming back next year. Right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kvlt! posted:

That makes sense, but I'm confused about why that upsets people, or why it's viewed as unfair or unsportmanlike. My understanding is "Max's car is faster but harder to control, but he has the skill to control it".

Are the other teams just salty he's able to control a car? Or is there a rule or something RB is bypassing to get the car like that? I'm genuinely just baffled why the whole "it's the car" argument is a thing in a league about building and racing cars.

People dont want a 19-race winner in a single season because its boring AF.

Any argument you hear/read is just whatever manifestation on that individuals anger over the whole situation

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
At the very least 19 race wins the way red bull managed it with Max with such spectacular leads and gaps.

A 19-race win by hero of our time Magic Alonso would be the best thing to happen on this earth

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

The Vettelreich was the era of the blown diffuser. Sir Newey designed cars so amazing that Mark Webber finally won a race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Amp posted:

yep. bad for the sport.

Dire sport. It doesn't deserve to be called "Formula One" anymore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kvlt! posted:

It feels kinda like somebody saying "well ya kno, Gretzky is only so good because he can really control the stick well". Like....yes? Isn't that the idea?

Because it's by a boring Dutch twink op.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

As is tradition, I am continuing to watch the olden seasons of yesteryear and am currently on 2009 with Brawn doing a solid thrashing of everyone with their cheat codes

Other things this season has enlightened me to (currently on European gp):

- Jenson Button is a good lad who means well and is the easiest 'bloke' to listen to during pressers
- Toyota lol, Ferrari lol
- A younger Horner is still a Horner
- Brawn Fuckin GP
- Brundle was always awful and bad
- Very weird to see a Red Bull with a Renault engine

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I had the BBC stream on mute and listened to Varsha, Matchett, and Hobbs that year.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ah there is a thread now, neato.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

It doesn't upset anyone and they're not viewing it as unfair. They're using it as justification for suggesting he's not as good as his results would suggest, i.e. he's an above average driver who is only overwhelmingly successful because anyone would be if they had all of Red Bull's resources singularly focused behind them. The same argument was made against Vettel. It's the natural result of Red Bull consistently having a clear #1 driver. Hamilton didn't get the same criticism to the same extent because Mercedes fosters more competition between their drivers. It doesn't help that Red Bull's drivers tend to be Red Bull lifers so it's hard to judge them outside of that context. Lewis had a career before his period of Mercedes dominance that proved he's a world class driver regardless; Max didn't.

It's all kind of silly because it rests on the assumption that the standard practice is to design the car completely without input from the drivers, which isn't how any of this works. Teams are always going to try to give their drivers what they're asking for. Max prefers an unstable car, which probably has a higher ceiling, so if Checo wants something different then they're probably going to err toward the former. Brawn's car suited Button's driving style in the early part of the season way more than Barrichello, that's a huge part of why he won the title, no one ever gave a poo poo about that though (probably because Button is one million times cooler than Verstappen).

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Verstappen and his girlfriend look like brother and sister, change my mind.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Also, nonstick pans will always be superior to cast iron

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Anybody who thinks Verstappen isn’t a generational talent is loving mental. I don’t like him, or RB, but it I also have eyes in my head and can’t deny what I’m seeing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anybody who thinks Verstappen isn’t a generational talent is loving mental. I don’t like him, or RB, but it I also have eyes in my head and can’t deny what I’m seeing.

To be clear, I do not disagree, just explaining the stance

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

People were saying the same poo poo about Vettel at Red Bull. You could be right or wrong but the cars overwhelmingly flatter in F1 so its hard to vouch for his performance off the back of such a stupidly dominate car with a poo poo team mate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Max going to Ferrari and being outed as a bald fraud, but he is embarrassing teammates who are orders of magnitude more talented than Mark Webber

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RB has spend all the Merc dominated years working on the non-car advantages they could. Strategy, pitstops, star driver.
Their main issue was the engine during the Renault drama, it took a throwing their second team at it but Honda delivered a great engine.
Put a great driver into a great car and you get this domination.

Max isn't my favorite but the man is a racing machine, his hobby is sim racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if he races world of of outlaws after he retires from f1 all will be forgiven