Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The_Franz posted:

Was that phrase associated with or popularized by him, or just some general edgy thing at the time? I only ever saw it a few years later on a shirt worn by some angsty goth girl in my homeroom in high school, which of course resulted in her being told to cover it up or change. She was 100% a stereotypical Manson fan though.

The funny part was that the teacher wasn't shocked or mad or anything, just "Yeah, you need to cover that up or turn it inside out. If someone else sees it, they're going to send you to the office."

I'm not sure. We barely knew who he was and this was the night before their concert so we I'm not even sure I had heard of his music before then.

94 seemed to be the year when people went really into goth and industrial music. The Crow came out later that year and really fuelled that. More than one friend of mine had a bit of an awakening after seeing the Closer video and changed their image almost overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Thirded. I turned 15 in November.

You know what else happened in November 1994? That’s right, this dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8

this but on 0.25x speed is transcendent.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

if we're talking about records that dropped in 94..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k

I love live videos from London back then and wish I had been there

https://youtu.be/3KgHx4_bvHw?si=tRFEgbrHXTYqn8z8

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bonzo posted:

94 seemed to be the year when people went really into goth and industrial music. The Crow came out later that year and really fuelled that. More than one friend of mine had a bit of an awakening after seeing the Closer video and changed their image almost overnight.

Wearing a black tee shirt and rocking out to Pork Soda.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
It was like chewing on those wax bottles that had the liquid on it, pretending it was candy. That's what that entire year was like.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dancehall was great in 94. I worked with a Jamaican dancehall vocalist who would bring in live soundclash tapes he’d have mailed from home. I still love that era of live dancehall, dudes loving screaming over tracks with gunshot and laser gun sounds everywhere.

https://youtu.be/TWBtOwJu7RM?si=eJIt2EN-EM0ert-D

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The_Franz posted:

Was that phrase associated with or popularized by him, or just some general edgy thing at the time? I only ever saw it a few years later on a shirt worn by some angsty goth girl in my homeroom in high school, which of course resulted in her being told to cover it up or change. She was 100% a stereotypical Manson fan though.
"I am the God of gently caress" is the opening lyric to the opening song (well real song, not spoken word opening track) on Marilyn Manson's "Portrait of an American Family" and yeah was absolutely a meme phrase for fans

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Bonzo posted:

I'm not sure. We barely knew who he was and this was the night before their concert so we I'm not even sure I had heard of his music before then.

Yeah, The Downward Spiral and Black Box – Wax Trax! Records: The First 13 Years were in heavy rotation in my friends' CD players. Smoking cigarettes indoors was still a thing, and everyone smoked. If you want to know what a mid 90s college party was like, rub a little CK One on your wrists and neck, spill some beer on your shirt, and smoke a Marlboro while Closer plays in the background.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in gothier circles, at least in my area, smoking cloves was very popular.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
1984 was better, no offense.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dick Jones posted:

Yeah, The Downward Spiral and Black Box – Wax Trax! Records: The First 13 Years were in heavy rotation in my friends' CD players. Smoking cigarettes indoors was still a thing, and everyone smoked. If you want to know what a mid 90s college party was like, rub a little CK One on your wrists and neck, spill some beer on your shirt, and smoke a Marlboro while Closer plays in the background.

hell yeah

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Earwicker posted:

Desert southwest also. Never got into them, it was like smoking a pickle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eqtwjgvNGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feWNvGpWHLM

Thora fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

caleb posted:

PRS guitars have always been a "point and laugh" situation for me.
"I want a PRS guitar, with the dragon inlays."

E: I take that back. I do not point and laugh at Ler from Primus.

thats one of those things where if it's a tool with which you derive your living, totally reasonable. plenty of tradespeople own wildly expensive tools. a bigass lathe costs more than most cars, for example. but yeah if you're a fortysomething hobbyist its a little weird because, like, why do you have a fifteen ton lathe taking up half your garage man

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
everyone just stood around waiting for the blizzard of 96

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Oh the cool little tin, thin cigarettes, dressed all in black....

lol never heard of it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Beedis were a fun sort-of cigarette. I used to keep them around for a little head rush after smoking weed. Pretty sure they’ve been banned in NY.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Snowy posted:

Beedis were a fun sort-of cigarette. I used to keep them around for a little head rush after smoking weed. Pretty sure they’ve been banned in NY.

Dang. I haven't thought about beedis since, like, 1994

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Beedis nutz lol

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
Sega does what nintendon't

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8A14Qcv68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3rzi7dZVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UIHti9ptjA

naem
May 29, 2011

Zeluth posted:

1984 was better, no offense.

the 1990’s were, in many ways, a reaction to the 1980’s.

the over the top brightly colored cult of personality that defined the 80’s was done again only spooky and depressed this time.

also some of the best parts of 90’s culture came from the late 80’s alternative music scene

like a goth younger sibling to the 80’s

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you, Hip-Hop.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

naem posted:

the 1990’s were, in many ways, a reaction to the 1980’s.

the over the top brightly colored cult of personality that defined the 80’s was done again only spooky and depressed this time.

also some of the best parts of 90’s culture came from the late 80’s alternative music scene

like a goth younger sibling to the 80’s

It's almost like the period was defined by a generalized rejection of nuance-free grand narratives, as if we were in the process of moving on to a world beyond whatever modernity had been proscribing.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Then, the internet happened.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Not really a 1994 thing but I spent so much money on import CDs, sometimes $35 just to be able to hear to new tracks. Not like the now where you can just look up unreleased tracks or remixes. The NIN remixes were like that and sometimes better than the originals. https://www.nin.wiki/Halo_numbers

Some metal bands never put albums out in the US (because metal was dead by 94) and you could only get them from Japan.

Seeing the Tori Amos video above reminded me of seeing her in concert. I have never seen more people in an audience doing coke than at a Tori Amos concert. I mean she was also high as a kite but I just found it amusing.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
that stayed true for metal bands for a long while afterwards, I used to have to get poo poo imported from greece because there was simply no other way to get eastern european and russian albums

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bonzo posted:

Not really a 1994 thing but I spent so much money on import CDs, sometimes $35 just to be able to hear to new tracks. Not like the now where you can just look up unreleased tracks or remixes. The NIN remixes were like that and sometimes better than the originals. https://www.nin.wiki/Halo_numbers

Some metal bands never put albums out in the US (because metal was dead by 94) and you could only get them from Japan.

Seeing the Tori Amos video above reminded me of seeing her in concert. I have never seen more people in an audience doing coke than at a Tori Amos concert. I mean she was also high as a kite but I just found it amusing.
Wow this post just hit me with a lot of 1994 all at once

I have not thought about the Halo Number List in so long, and I had a friend who was incredibly proud to have the Purest Feeling single which he insisted was the "real Halo 00!!!" and given this list does not even mention it I can only assume that was not only untrue but probably a bootleg in the first place

Metal being increasingly less popular in the mid-90s is what got me into Ultraviolence and probably permanently shifted me towards electronic music for every purpose, rather than just for smooth/cool/depressing purposes

Also I have probably been to a hundred concerts and Tori Amos is still the only artist whose show I ever attended who was so obviously intoxicated on something that she occasionally struggled to play her music. Pretty insane considering how many metal shows I have seen where you would assume they were all blown out of their mind on goat's blood or whatever

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/iAXDE41.mp4

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I used to hate it when people would come ask if i had a clove

No bitch I don’t have a clove wtf

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
94...I was 5 for most of it, so I was still living in my birthplace. I'd move 45 minutes down the road within the next year and a half, though.

I had a friend who owned a Sega genesis while I did not and was extremely jealous of that fact. Sonic owned and I wished he would live in my house. By that point I think my grandma had bought me a Gameboy for Christmas and I could not peel away from it. Eventually I got stuck on Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong, so I turned to other games that weren't as good.

Other than that...I dunno, cartoons were rad as hell.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Shinjobi posted:

94...I was 5 for most of it, so I was still living in my birthplace. I'd move 45 minutes down the road within the next year and a half, though.

I had a friend who owned a Sega genesis while I did not and was extremely jealous of that fact. Sonic owned and I wished he would live in my house. By that point I think my grandma had bought me a Gameboy for Christmas and I could not peel away from it. Eventually I got stuck on Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong, so I turned to other games that weren't as good.

Other than that...I dunno, cartoons were rad as hell.

Really Actually Dumb?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Time_pants posted:

Really Actually Dumb?

yeah probably

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Had it not been for the WB content of the mid-late 90s, and maybe early 90s Disney and Gargoyles, 90s animation would be a sort of gray fog of who gives a poo poo.

At least in another year anime will flop in the US with Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball getting syndicated releases, but become pop culture mainstays with cable revivals a few years later.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
I have a blurry memory of sitting in a car on a rainy day in front of a store that no longer exists while crash test dummies mmm mmm mmm mmm played on the radio.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Chief McHeath posted:

I used to hate it when people would come ask if i had a clove

No bitch I don’t have a clove wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLCII1FA_fg

We met at a party
I was drunk and smoking cloves
I really just needed a ride back to town
No I don't smoke cloves anymore

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

My friend down the street had a cousin with a low rider van that ripped us Green Jelly tapes.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I only know Green Jelly from Spider Man MAXIMUM Carnage for the Sega Genesis featuring GWAR

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
So old I remember when green jelly was green jello

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Thora posted:

So old I remember when green jelly was green jello

Haha I loved cereal killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo