Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Did anyone else notice that knights of avalon are now sacred? MA Man now has a viable sacred strat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Tuna-Fish posted:

Did anyone else notice that knights of avalon are now sacred? MA Man now has a viable sacred strat.

ya they are ultra hosed up. one of the strongest kinds of guy to be

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

It's hilarious that a trained assassin would just give in to intrusive thoughts and just start stabbing the closest bystander rather than going after their actual target. There should be a scripting option or trait for suicidal assassins that go after their target over all others unless it becomes physically impossible, to the point of trying to move past bodyguards to get at their intended victim.

This casual murder is a lot more fun though, even if it does impact the effectiveness of most assassin units.

Hmm, maybe they shouldn't be smoking hash before their missions.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

29. Commanders additionally from normal gold and resources cost ‘commander points’, and the bigger the fort, the more commander points you will have in that province. They determine how many commanders you can recruit in a turn, or how many turns you need to recruit a commander: if a fort has a value of 2 commander points, you may recruit two scouts per turn (1 cmd point each), or a single general (2 cmd points) or you may need two turns to recruit an elite mage (who needs 3 cmd points).

is your capital's commander point income locked at what it starts at or are there ways to upgrade it and churn out more cap-only mages?

edit: looks like the way to do it for nations with great cap mages and bad cap forts is demolishing your capital fort and then casting a fort construction ritual, with Three Red Seconds giving a +2 commander point citadel and the others giving a +1. Cool but very much a late game thing

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 17, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Flavahbeast posted:

is your capital's commander point income locked at what it starts at or are there ways to upgrade it and churn out more cap-only mages?

If you start with a tier 3 fort (castle), a mason can upgrade it to a citadel that gets you +1 commander point. There is an item (blood/earth) that gives mason, and a mason commander mercenary.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lmao @ the Nidbathed

only in dominions can you kill giants with the power of friendship, your number of friends scales with the power of your god, and the power of friendship involves all your friends killing themselves

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jsoh posted:

ya they are ultra hosed up. one of the strongest kinds of guy to be

I'm still in shock for how many Cardaces can kill a squad of indie heavy cav, I don't even want to imagine the Man version, with all the things I've heard in the last months from testers.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lmao @ the Nidbathed

only in dominions can you kill giants with the power of friendship, your number of friends scales with the power of your god, and the power of friendship involves all your friends killing themselves

Dominions is like, the bleakest of dark fantasy settings, if you take in account how people get into industrial-level genocide of their own population (mass blood hunting) just to have better chances of being the next Panko.
Or if you aren't a Blood Nation, you can wish Armaggeddon several times just to hurt the Blood eco of you opponents. That's also bleak!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 17, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ok n/m the Serene Ones are even better. The supreme spiritual power of vegetarianism compensates for their meat-scurvy and weak bones

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm still in shock for how many Cardaces can kill a squad of indie heavy cav, I don't even want to imagine the Man version, with all the things I've heard in the last months from testers.

Dominions is like, the bleakest of dark fantasy settings, if you take in account how people get into industrial-level genocide of their own population (mass blood hunting) just to have better chances of being the next Panko.
Or if you aren't a Blood Nation, you can wish Armaggeddon several times just to hurt the Blood eco of you opponents. That's also bleak!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

As someone who finally caved and picked up Dom6 after waffling on 4 AND 5 I am completely confused in the best way possible with this game.

Need to figure this out a bit first, but looking forward to a newbies only game sometime soon if it starts.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Retro42 posted:

As someone who finally caved and picked up Dom6 after waffling on 4 AND 5 I am completely confused in the best way possible with this game.

Need to figure this out a bit first, but looking forward to a newbies only game sometime soon if it starts.

I'm with you on this one. Been looking at the Dominions franchise for years and finally decided to buy in. Spent about 15 minutes royally screwing up my first game and being utterly confused by the interface, then decided I should probably read the manual or watch some video tutorials or something. This game is not trying to be approachable but I feel like there is going to be a lot to like once I get there.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

zedar posted:

I'm with you on this one. Been looking at the Dominions franchise for years and finally decided to buy in. Spent about 15 minutes royally screwing up my first game and being utterly confused by the interface, then decided I should probably read the manual or watch some video tutorials or something. This game is not trying to be approachable but I feel like there is going to be a lot to like once I get there.

Learn the hotkeys because the UI sucks

Your first thing to do is set one of your commanders to your prophet. Most people pick their starting army commander or hire an expensive commander and make them their prophet since prophets don't need to be paid a salary, also renaming them is essential so you send everyone a funny message of your prophet being chosen.

Then you stick units onto commanders and expand

Then you take your mages and search the provinces that were cleared for magic sites

Mages in labs research

As you get more spells you can send your mages off to help assist in battle or stay at home and cast rituals/forge items

Your objective is to take the throne provinces with either your prophet, your god, or a level 3 (H3) mage.

That's the core of the gameplay in a nutshell. Unlike most strategy games you have all your recruitable units unlocked by default and there's no real way to upgrade units (unless you count throne blesses for sacreds). Everything is just locked behind spell and construction research.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've been looking for some of the extreme scales. Magic 5 obviously gives +5 RP per researcher, but also causes 1-15 unrest per month, and horror marks units and commanders in the province...

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Amuys posted:

Learn the hotkeys because the UI sucks

Your first thing to do is set one of your commanders to your prophet. Most people pick their starting army commander or hire an expensive commander and make them their prophet since prophets don't need to be paid a salary, also renaming them is essential so you send everyone a funny message of your prophet being chosen.

Then you stick units onto commanders and expand

Then you take your mages and search the provinces that were cleared for magic sites

Mages in labs research

As you get more spells you can send your mages off to help assist in battle or stay at home and cast rituals/forge items

Your objective is to take the throne provinces with either your prophet, your god, or a level 3 (H3) mage.

That's the core of the gameplay in a nutshell. Unlike most strategy games you have all your recruitable units unlocked by default and there's no real way to upgrade units (unless you count throne blesses for sacreds). Everything is just locked behind spell and construction research.

Aha, this is helpful, thanks muchly. Now if I can just work out how to actually do all this stuff I'll be up and running.

I made the poor assumption that my starting army was actually decent and sent it off to be murdered in a neighbouring province turn one, which was rather demoralising. I did manage to build some troops and put them into someone's army and start some research, so I wasn't completely lost. There are a lot of numbers and stats everywhere but I'm assuming it's probably not worth trying to decipher all of that up front. I also accidentally got into some screen where i was setting up troop deployments or something and probably hosed my army's efficiency even further than it already was.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

zedar posted:

Aha, this is helpful, thanks muchly. Now if I can just work out how to actually do all this stuff I'll be up and running.

I made the poor assumption that my starting army was actually decent and sent it off to be murdered in a neighbouring province turn one, which was rather demoralising. I did manage to build some troops and put them into someone's army and start some research, so I wasn't completely lost. There are a lot of numbers and stats everywhere but I'm assuming it's probably not worth trying to decipher all of that up front. I also accidentally got into some screen where i was setting up troop deployments or something and probably hosed my army's efficiency even further than it already was.

Well probably THE most important thing to learn in Dominions is army scripting next to diplomacy. But probably the most bread and butter spell scripting is your prophet. Divine Blessing->Smite->Smite->Smite-Smite is what most people set them too although any holy 3 priest can do that.
Only sacred units can benefit from a bless, but their bless has to be activated by a blessing spell. The big thing about Divine Blessing is that it's a battlefield wide spell so you can set your sacred units anywhere you want and they'll get their bless activated without having to be next to a priest less like the lower level bless spells. The smite just kills stuff so that's pretty self explanatory.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Torrannor posted:

I've been looking for some of the extreme scales. Magic 5 obviously gives +5 RP per researcher, but also causes 1-15 unrest per month, and horror marks units and commanders in the province...

Growth 4 barely seems like a negative next to some of these.

I mean, that's not going to affect the population, right? So it maybe improves the resource score, and gives you a movement penalty... unless you have forest survival on everything...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing around with my fishy friends, the Aboleths. This poo poo is hilarious, too bad I can't really join Blitzgames because of time zones, but if there are some normal games starting up soon, I hope I can try my evil monster fish in PVP.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Okay who put in 'Beverage' as a Divine Title

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah I love it. Although I rarely get to those end game spells. I can't abide how long turns can take on larger maps, and haven't done too much MP.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I mean, that's not going to affect the population, right? So it maybe improves the resource score, and gives you a movement penalty... unless you have forest survival on everything...

Is there any lore-wise reason the "good" scales start adding in downsides? Like I can't see why extremely good fortune would be bad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there any lore-wise reason the "good" scales start adding in downsides? Like I can't see why extremely good fortune would be bad.

Mechanics-wise, it's so that there are downsides to getting too far with the good scales. Lore-wise, you can probably always find reasons. For luck, I'd guess people are abandoning honest work and turning to gambling instead, reducing overall economic activity.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Some scales are good for a total war state but less for a population, it's not really safe to pipe up with brand new ideas as a lowly researcher in an incredibly doctrinal Order 5 dominion, also it reaches into your soul and imposes Order and Structure and those may not be those needed right now. Maximum Productivity is likely quite unpleasant if you're a worker since, you know, maximum productivity.

Luck and growth are fine and probably just make people a bit lazy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hmm, seems like I can't even see items that are possible to craft if I don't have the paths for it. I made a true rainbow pretender and am rushing construction, but I know from other games that there are big holes in what my pretender can craft.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Amuys posted:

Well probably THE most important thing to learn in Dominions is army scripting next to diplomacy. But probably the most bread and butter spell scripting is your prophet. Divine Blessing->Smite->Smite->Smite-Smite is what most people set them too although any holy 3 priest can do that.
Only sacred units can benefit from a bless, but their bless has to be activated by a blessing spell. The big thing about Divine Blessing is that it's a battlefield wide spell so you can set your sacred units anywhere you want and they'll get their bless activated without having to be next to a priest less like the lower level bless spells. The smite just kills stuff so that's pretty self explanatory.

also iirc any sacred units lead by your pretender are auto-blessed

anyone got any tips for some simple noob offensive magic setups? i'm okay at some dom stuff after playing dom5 but i've never really sorted out good war magic
what factions are good for it and are there any good spells that dont require gems i can spam?

i tried a Man game out and ran into a monument pretender who was completely immune to my whole army basically since they were trying to attack a stone sphinx with lances

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I assassinated a ghoul in the bedroom of his mansion :hellyeah:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Torrannor posted:

Hmm, seems like I can't even see items that are possible to craft if I don't have the paths for it. I made a true rainbow pretender and am rushing construction, but I know from other games that there are big holes in what my pretender can craft.

You can right click on the research in the research screen to see all the items at that level.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Turning your entire land into forests is all fun and games until someone else puts up Wild Hunt and Enchanted Forests.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Torrannor posted:

if you hit i on the pretender creation screen you can see every item that nation can forge, ie all the normal ones+any national ones

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In terms of scales, there's probably various events that only pop under the extreme ones, so there might be more disadvantages (or advantages) to some of those super high positive scales than are immediately evident. Similarly, neither Misfortune or Drain have any extra negative effects listed, but they very likely have events tied to them.

Anyways, holy hell are some of these new globals nasty.

You know how people were talking about the improved casting times of Evocations? Where here's a global that utterly fucks over all elemental path casting.

Hope someone else is running high astral for the new dispel that degrades a global even if it fails, because otherwise someone just locked out everyone else from ever casting another.

Seriously, it halves checks against it - I don't think there's any way to take out a (close to) max cast of this in one go.

Not a global, and ignoring the above, but here's a super dispel that potentially nukes every single global AND guaranteed nukes every single dome and the like mapwide. With a bunch of horror marks too for seasoning.

This one doesn't even have the decency to be a research level 9 like the above.

Not listed here, but there's also yet another new "dome" for the Astral/Glamour crosspath which, instead of blocking normal spells, blocks all horror attacks on the province... including assassinations caused by horror marks. Even has a lower chance of blocking doom horrors. Assuming this functions against cataclysm attacks for casting/forging, a hugely valuable late game tool.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Cool to see the series keep building a steady fanbase

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I would love a good recommendation for some tutorial resources.

I love the idea of Dominions. I've had fun with 5 and CoE 4, but the game is still so intimidating to me that I never really feel like I know what I'm doing, so I'm kinda going back and forth on whether I should dive into 6.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Check that helmet out on the Nidajarl. From previous modding experience, it *shouldn't* give the Skullface's actual affect, but still...lol.

Communist Thoughts posted:

also iirc any sacred units lead by your pretender are auto-blessed

anyone got any tips for some simple noob offensive magic setups? i'm okay at some dom stuff after playing dom5 but i've never really sorted out good war magic
what factions are good for it and are there any good spells that dont require gems i can spam?

i tried a Man game out and ran into a monument pretender who was completely immune to my whole army basically since they were trying to attack a stone sphinx with lances
There's two noob paths for magic. First is just going Evocations and spamming hell down on your enemy. Traditionally this is the domain of Fire, but really a lot of paths can do it. Second is Conjuration. It can be hard to understand how best to spend magic gems, but with Conjuration you'll always get *something* useful by summoning troops. Just, uh, try not to summon some poisonous blob and kill all your own troops.

MA Ulm is often cited as a noob friendly nation. Their troops range from strong to stronk, and they have a straightforward and highly spammable evocation in their Iron Darts / Iron Blizzard spells using their Priest Smiths. Technically the nation specializes in magical forging, but you don't actually need to do that to succeed. Still, if you run into something you can't kill, it's a good time to play around with slamming cool gear on some dudes so you can Kill God.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is the AI for this good enough to make it reasonably entertaining for single player, or is this basically multiplayer PvP only again?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Has anyone figured out how to propose a non aggression pact to the AI or can only they make an offer to you? If you reject it will they ever do it again?

SlyFrog posted:

Is the AI for this good enough to make it reasonably entertaining for single player, or is this basically multiplayer PvP only again?
Your mileage may vary but the AI in single player seems to be putting up a better fight and have better battle plans? Though I imagine anyone who is a pro at the same will still squash it. I am enjoying single player at the moment.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 18, 2024

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

actually I believe it does change the population. indirectly, at least; each province has a soft population cap that changes based on it's type. I haven't checked it myself but IIRC early spoilers mentioned that forests have a lower cap than plains. you're still getting the benefits of growth overall so it's doubtful the population will actually decrease, but it won't grow to the same level you'd expect otherwise.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Diogines posted:

Has anyone figured out how to propose a non aggression pact to the AI or can only they make an offer to you? If you reject it will they ever do it again?

hit s, for send message, then select diplomatic missive. or hit f4, for pretenders of the world. then click on whatever it says next under relation. the f4 pretenders of the world screen also shows you every nations bless that you know and allows you to see the nation preview of other nations, what troops they can recruit etc

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

jsoh posted:

hit s, for send message, then select diplomatic missive. or hit f4, for pretenders of the world. then click on whatever it says next under relation. the f4 pretenders of the world screen also shows you every nations bless that you know and allows you to see the nation preview of other nations, what troops they can recruit etc
Thank you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jsoh posted:

Have you seen accept nap proposals? For now they seem to be very nap-adverse, even in the early game, which is silly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For new players, someone should write a pair of paragraphs about early expansion, how it is better to prioritize your cap circle instead of spreading out your empire in straight lines, because that way your capital get extra gold and resources on the first turns, and it's easier to reinforce your first armies without having to spend a turn going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Okay, so I put another hour into this game and it's starting to make sense. Split my troops into a melee squad and a ranged squad and gave them appropriate tactics and actually managed to conquer a couple of provinces, getting their commander into the hall of fame. Looked at the casters I had and which domains they had access to and targeted my research towards spells that looked interesting. I might have actually cast some rituals until I noticed I needed to be in a cave to cast the one ritual I had. But reading the text on things and just looking at the available actions everywhere goes a long way towards making this seem a lot less intimidating.