Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Another step toward a free Ireland

Right on schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSGp4WIBsQ&t=28s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Data is right.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah I like how John Hammond is one of the most interesting villains in cinema. At first he’s a kindly grandpa with grandkids in peril but fun to pick up all the clues the entire situation is his fault.

"Spared no expense*"

*Except when it comes to actually paying his staff.

Which is why it's such a drat shame that they have Hammond a happy ending with his grandkids, instead of him being ripped apart by a swarm of Compsagnathus, like in the book.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

The border bill text was released yesterday. The fact sheets, bill text, and etc simply don't matter as chud commentators are saying the Republicans involved with the negotiation should be prosecuted for (mystery) crimes. Quite a few Republican Senators are making revolty noises against McConnell (like that Lee thing).

Meanwhile, the entire House GOP leadership is yelling "gently caress your bill, we aren't even going to call it up". The same poo poo Donnie asked for a few years ago from Congress is now supposedly within Biden's power according to Republicans (no).

Usually when a party doesn't want to fix a problem and instead campaign on it, it's whispered and not screamed like what Republicans are doing. And it's a pretty lovely bill from the liberal/prog perspective since it doesn't even make dreamers permanent! All very odd, but basically how politics works now.

The Republicans don't want to be seen as giving Biden a win. But they're also showing their whole rear end by screaming about the border invasion as loudly as they can and then saying they won't vote for this bipartisan bill. The base won't give a poo poo but at least some of the "moderates", "independents", and "undecided" voters will.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

The Republicans don't want to be seen as giving Biden a win. But they're also showing their whole rear end by screaming about the border invasion as loudly as they can and then saying they won't vote for this bipartisan bill. The base won't give a poo poo but at least some of the "moderates", "independents", and "undecided" voters will.

Yeah but I'm also worried about the progressive base too, as this basically cedes turf on a whole bunch of issues (CBP funding, asylum reductions, border closing). But I don't think this is a Merrick Garland Supreme Court situation because there are quite a few Republican senators yelling at chuds too.

Passing it would probably take immigration off the rational voter's radar, it crashing probably highlights the rear end-showing. Very scrambled politics on the merits of the bill, but hoo boy the Congressional debate is a dumpsterfire.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thinking of the discussion about wisdom of replacing popular very very old monarch with unpopular very old monarch, rather than skipping to his generally liked son.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Democrats were asking for this poo poo. Republicans have been screaming about the border for years and years and barely a peep from Democrats on the issue. Just trying to ignore it until they felt they had no choice but to move heavily to the right.

Doing a horrendous job of selling why anyone should vote Democrat in 2024.

Can't even put in the effort to push back against the insanity coming from the GOP and seem more than okay with kicking the progressives to the curb rather than stake out their own values and vision for the future of the country. "At least we're not Republicans!" doesn't cut it.

Between eagerly supporting the genocide of the Palestinians and completely ceding immigration to the right just all around a loving pathetic showing by Democrats.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mustang posted:

Between eagerly supporting the genocide of the Palestinians and completely ceding immigration to the right just all around a loving pathetic showing by Democrats.

Honestly, I think that a whole lot of Democrats are more than ok with both of those, not just the politicians. You're gonna lose the people that you were gonna lose because of whatever purity test they were going to vote off of anyway while probably picking up "reasonable" people from the center.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Democrats weren't asking for it. Republicans were screaming for it in exchange for funding to stop genocide of Ukrainians, so they offered to compromise.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That sounds like a foolish mistake to spurn your politically engaged activist base in favor of unreliable voters in the middle.

As it is I don't feel compelled to make the argument that Biden and the Democrats are the better choice in November, and I'm a lot more politically engaged than your average voter.

OddObserver posted:

Democrats weren't asking for it. Republicans were screaming for it in exchange for funding to stop genocide of Ukrainians, so they offered to compromise.

They've had years to offer their own immigration solutions and have declined to do so. The right has successfully defined the Democrats as the Open Borders party despite being completely untethered from the truth.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

OddObserver posted:

House GOP is apparently going to hold a vote on standalone funding for Israel and I have absolutely no idea how that vote count is going to go. There aren't really moral solutions for any of this stuff, so I'll look for the comedy:

https://twitter.com/acnewsitics/status/1754521692771405909?t=Le5fKoRxtjjepbW-t7xH4g&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustang posted:

They've had years to offer their own immigration solutions and have declined to do so. The right has successfully defined the Democrats as the Open Borders party despite being completely untethered from the truth.

The only immigration policy the Democrats could've adopted that the Republicans wouldn't find a way to scream about would be utterly intolerable to anyone who isn't literally Satan

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Republicans are never going to vote for a Democrat, and they shouldn't be chasing Republican voters.

They didn't have to let the GOP freely spend years defining the narrative that Democrats are the Open Borders party, but they did. Doesn't matter that it isn't true, Democrat is synonymous with Open Borders now. Just two words and it's easy to remember.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bird food bathtub posted:

Unilateral ability of the president to shut down the border completely

When they say "the border" what does that mean? The land border with Mexico? Both land borders with Mexico and Canada? All arriving and departing flights, ships, etc from all borders, air land and sea? What is "the border"?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chuckling at the incredibly stupid phrase "military-grade missile".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
When they say the boarder they mean racism.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kesper North posted:

When they say "the border" what does that mean? The land border with Mexico? Both land borders with Mexico and Canada? All arriving and departing flights, ships, etc from all borders, air land and sea? What is "the border"?

Brown people, basically.

Every now and then, there's some Republican that starts yelling about the Canadian border. Then that Republican looks behind them for signs of support and it's an empty room.

Mustang posted:

They didn't have to let the GOP freely spend years defining the narrative that Democrats are the Open Borders party, but they did. Doesn't matter that it isn't true, Democrat is synonymous with Open Borders now. Just two words and it's easy to remember.

Possible that I'm fully agreeing with you, but I'm not really aware of a democratic policy on the border. I'm not sure it's really a priority for the Democratic base, so their only policies come up when Republicans do super heinous poo poo (razor wire entanglement, family separation, kids in cages, etc) and the more Squaddy positions (where my policy preferences are) don't get much of anywhere. Establishment, to the extent it exists, just wants the issue gone.

Incidentally, probably why Abbott's policy innovation of sending migrants to northern cities worked so well. Basically forced migrants on city government NIMBYs.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

When they say the boarder they mean racism.

Yes, yes. But what does the text of the law say

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kesper North posted:

Yes, yes. But what does the text of the law say

It's all Mexico, with some fentanyl-detector machines thrown in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/new-immigration-asylum-reform-bill-released-senate-text-rcna136602

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The type of cancer has not been revealed - it is not prostate cancer, but was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.

Well that’s a good sign, from the perspective of a free Ireland.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Chuckling at the incredibly stupid phrase "military-grade missile".

Only 1290s kids will remember when three-hundred-pound stones were military-grade missiles.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

call this the freest country in the world but ya can't even integrate a guidance package on amateur rockets

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mustang posted:

That sounds like a foolish mistake to spurn your politically engaged activist base in favor of unreliable voters in the middle.
Are you characterizing people who support Ukraine against Russia's attempted genocide as "unbelievable voters in the middle"?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mustang posted:

As it is I don't feel compelled to make the argument that Biden and the Democrats are the better choice in November, and I'm a lot more politically engaged than your average voter.

The right has would be defining the Democrats as the Open Borders party for anything short of machine gunning migrants at the border.

I think the real lesson is that "biden economy bad" is less and less effective, which means they need other arguments.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lol at "military-grade missile"

oops beaten

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 5, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I mean it also doesn't help that the right has a massive, unceasing propaganda machine dedicated towards painting both immigrants and Democrats in the worst possible light. Or that the Dems are really a massive coalition of varied interests and communities that more often than not are working together out of unified opposition to the Republicans than they are over shared interests.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Basticle posted:

lol at "military-grade missile"

As opposed to "model rocket with a USAF roundel on the fuselage" I presume

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

As opposed to "model rocket with a USAF roundel on the fuselage" I presume

M80 in the nose cone of an Estes Comanche

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
cheering on the Freedom Caucus once again to prevent Democrats from making a massive own goal in the name of bipartisanship

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Are you characterizing people who support Ukraine against Russia's attempted genocide as "unbelievable voters in the middle"?

I didn't say anything about Ukraine. Either way, we shouldn't have to screw over one victimized group to help another.

facialimpediment posted:

Brown people, basically.

Every now and then, there's some Republican that starts yelling about the Canadian border. Then that Republican looks behind them for signs of support and it's an empty room.

Possible that I'm fully agreeing with you, but I'm not really aware of a democratic policy on the border. I'm not sure it's really a priority for the Democratic base, so their only policies come up when Republicans do super heinous poo poo (razor wire entanglement, family separation, kids in cages, etc) and the more Squaddy positions (where my policy preferences are) don't get much of anywhere. Establishment, to the extent it exists, just wants the issue gone.

Incidentally, probably why Abbott's policy innovation of sending migrants to northern cities worked so well. Basically forced migrants on city government NIMBYs.

I agree, and I think it's insane that they thought the border is an issue that could just be ignored. Even in Seattle I can see how large swaths of the country screech endlessly about the border, this was just a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up in their face.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean it also doesn't help that the right has a massive, unceasing propaganda machine dedicated towards painting both immigrants and Democrats in the worst possible light. Or that the Dems are really a massive coalition of varied interests and communities that more often than not are working together out of unified opposition to the Republicans than they are over shared interests.

It's pretty sad that the only Democrat I can think of that tries to counter Republican narratives in any capacity is the stunningly impressive human being Gavin loving Newsom.

You want people to prattle on and on about policy? Some ivy educated freak that uses focus groups to perfectly tailor every message? Democrats are your folks.

No idea what they stand for other than that they're less bad than the other guys.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mustang posted:

No idea what they stand for other than that they're less bad than the other guys.

"gently caress you vote me"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mustang posted:

like basically any issue, the dems are betting that the base will grumble and fall in line anyway despite caving to unpopular policy demands from republicans, especially if they can still engage the base in other areas (union members in michigan probably care more about labor wins than they do border policy). meanwhile, while you can potentially undo border policy in the future, you can't really ring up russia and say "hey, we couldn't pass funding for ukraine, we would have had to agree to border policies we didn't want, could you just leave anyway pretty please?". time pressure beats morality

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mustang posted:

unironically the only problem with the border is that immigration is too restrictive and the system is too onerous to navigate, so the only worthwhile solution would be incremental movement towards Open Borders

Mustang posted:

It's pretty sad that the only Democrat I can think of that tries to counter Republican narratives in any capacity is the stunningly impressive human being Gavin loving Newsom.

You want people to prattle on and on about policy? Some ivy educated freak that uses focus groups to perfectly tailor every message? Democrats are your folks.

what do you even want out of the democrats, other than messaging?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mustang posted:

sounds like you eat too much fox news

DEMS WONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT BORDER BAD DEMS

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

Nah Mustang's right on that one. Democrats essentially want to bury border news because right now a border crackdown is a majority+ position. Democratic strategy on the border, pre-bill, was the same as the Republican election strategy on abortion - shut up and hope it goes away. I think that's a pretty objective, non-foxy position. Biden has done *a lot* in terms of border enforcement (lots and lots and lots of deportations), though he's also carved out new turf on parole acceptances.

What's new is the migrant bussing basically leading to Democrats caving into a Republican-leaning bill. Republicans don't even know what to do with that and I find it pretty funny the pretzels they're turning into to avoid saying "donnie told me to vote no so he can win the election"

Edit: Found a good analogy - it's a lot like how under Biden, we're producing the most oil we ever have. Now that's specifically something Biden never mentioned because it's bad on the base side, but same idea.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 6, 2024

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

hypnophant posted:

what do you even want out of the democrats, other than messaging?

To give me a reason to vote for them that isn't "I'm not Trump and we aren't Republicans".

Hear a lot about how Trump and his cult is a threat to American democracy, but not about what Democrats stand for and how they can make America a better place to live.

And messaging is important, something that Democrats are loving awful at. Great at appealing to upper middle class folks with graduate degrees that read policy for fun, but not much else.

ded posted:

The most conservative news I read is the Washington Post and the New York Times.

I vote in every election, whether the general, midterm or special elections. I'm 99.9% likely to pull the trigger for Biden in November. But I'm not going to like it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Of course you'll be conflicted on some level. Holding your nose while you vote is a sign that you understand that politics, just like people, is deeply flawed even if there is a better and a worse option. In fact, if you're yanking a lever with nothing but a big smile you're probably a demagogue.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m 100% with Mustang on all of this. The leadership of the Democratic Party is embarrassing and narcissistic and the best thing that could be said for them is at least they aren’t pure evil like their GOP counterparts.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Of course you'll be conflicted on some level. Holding your nose while you vote is a sign that you understand that politics, just like people, is deeply flawed even if there is a better and a worse option. In fact, if you're yanking a lever with nothing but a big smile you're probably a demagogue.

This really more of an indictment of our political system than an endorsement- why shouldn’t I be happy to vote for someone rather than just being glad the other guy lost?

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
even with his latest campaign stop the messaging just feels like "we're not trump". and even the few things that they do campaign on feel empty:

quote:

Should he win re-election and Democrats gain a majority in Congress, Biden promised to sign a federal ban of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines — the style of weapons used in the Oct. 1, 2017, mass shooting on the Strip that immediately killed 58 and injured hundreds of others.

yeah, sure you will. just like abortion rights getting enshrined, proper health care, etc.

even with poo poo at the border:

quote:

Geoff Bennett:
Lastly, Caitlin, there seems to be little to no appetite within the Biden White House to hold Trump administration officials responsible for this policy, even though President Biden himself said that this practice was criminal, this practice of separating kids from their parents at the border.

Caitlin Dickerson:
You're right.

We have not seen any concrete evidence that there is such an appetite. It doesn't mean that one won't come down the road, but they're certainly not talking about it now. And there are policies being developed internally in the White House to try to and — and in the Department of Homeland Security — to try to prevent future family separations.

But as we all saw under the Trump administration, if those policies are not codified into law or regulation, they can go away on day one of a subsequent administration. And so they're not necessarily as durable as a legal change or a concrete accountability for the individuals who came up with and who carried out the family separations to begin with.

its hard to not look at this and see the same parallels with the 2007 financial crisis. yeah, sure, people did horrible bad things, but that was in the past and we should really just move on instead of actually doing anything about it.