Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

Guam is in between Japan and Australia. I don't think it's weird that people don't know Guam is part of the United States.

e: But just to lay out my own ignorance as a US citizen, I'm aware Guam, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (whatever those are) are part of the US but I don't know why, or why they're not states

There's another Pacific territory that has it worse: the people of American Samoa are Americans, but not American citizens. They're "non-citizen nationals". No one really seems to know why this is so, and no one outside of American Samoa gives enough of a poo poo to fix it.

Wikipedia posted:

Despite changes in local ordinances, American Samoans do not have full protection of their constitutional rights, though they may reside in the United States and gain entry without a visa.[5] They cannot serve as officers in the US military or in many federal jobs, are unable to bear arms, cannot vote in federal or local elections outside of their territory, or hold public office or civil-service positions even when residing in a US state.[6][7]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

redshirt posted:

How could Maine be so high and Mass so low? Makes no sense.

Boston Tea Party?

Your guess doesn't count unless you spell it correctly.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Probably England. A lot of people still think it's its own country, including the English, and do not realize it's just another dumb old state with bad teeth/.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

Probably England. A lot of people still think it's its own country, including the English, and do not realize it's just another dumb old state with bad teeth/.

Thanks Brexit!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

lol goddammit this is a way better post to probe you for

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

StoryTime posted:

Rhode Island

Rhode Island has coffee milk, and way too many rich jagoffs living in their beach-side mansions.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Rhode Island will if nothing else be famous for being so tiny.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Maryland is an interesting case. Baltimore is a big huge city with an appreciable presence in pop culture. Yet nobody ever talks about the state.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Maryland is an interesting case. Baltimore is a big huge city with an appreciable presence in pop culture. Yet nobody ever talks about the state.

That's the thing. Baltimore IS Maryland in the national consciousness.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The biggest municipalities in Maryland outside of the Baltimore and DC metro areas are Hagerstown, Frederick and Cumberland. After that you're looking at small rural towns.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

all the ppl mentioning how massachusetts is not least famous are correct but not as to why

its not the least famous because it has the tiny penis jutting into the water in the north east and thats really all there is to it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's the thing. Baltimore IS Maryland in the national consciousness.

I also think of crab cakes and Annapolis.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

we hav a burlington here too and its either "across the bridge from hamilton" or its "almost toronto". i cant think of any good reasons to go there, only through it

I can't decide the least-famous Canadian Province: Saskatchewan or New Brunswick. For the same reason.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I can't decide the least-famous Canadian Province: Saskatchewan or New Brunswick. For the same reason.

One of narrow rectangle ones in the middle.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Maryland has a cool shape, though. Looks like ooze coming from Pensylvania, dripping all over Virginia

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

as an outsider i at least was aware saskatchewan was probably a province in canada, if somebody asked me what new brunswick was id say probably a lovely ale

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

for me its definitely nb. there's basically no reason to remember it exists. the other 3 maritime provinces have some pretty notable features otherwise. sask has a wacky name so its easy to remember it exists. manitoba is probably runner up to nb

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Budzilla posted:

For me it's sobriety.

LOL :)

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

You Are A Werewolf posted:

What’s the deal with the Carolinas? I sometimes hear about South Carolina in the news and almost immediately forget what it was about, but North Carolina is a mysterious state you never hear of.

I think North Carolina is a front for something.

north carolina was first in flight. south carolina was first to fight (for the right to own other people)

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Sex Farm posted:

West Virginia

I was in WV visiting extended family a little after Christmas. They went to WVU and we watched the Northrop Grumman Raytheon Bowl or whatever the gently caress that happened to be on that weekend, which had WVU's football team playing some other state.

WVU won and the crowd exploded into singing John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads, which famously includes him belting out "WEST VIRGINIAAAA". I guess it's an official state song, and he played it at the opening of the stadium in 1980 and immediately flew away in a helicopter.

The kicker, they explained to me, is that he is not referring to the state of West Virginia but western Virginia, where the Shenandoah River and Blue Ridge Mountains actually pass through.

tl;dr you might be right

e: This redditor compiled data on how many TV shows are primarily set in any state, which is a little helpful.

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 8, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i dont like remembering west virginia exists

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what happened to you west virginia? ya’ll used to be cool as hell

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

arkansas is the state i have thought about the least, i think

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Southern Cassowary posted:

arkansas is the state i have thought about the least, i think

I'd vote for Arkansas. Idaho I think of potatoes, Wyoming and Montana I can at least picture and Cheyenne is an absolutely baller name for a city. Nebraska has a great Springsteen album named after it. Oklahoma has a famous play named after it, with an exclamation point even.

I know literaly nothing about Arkansas.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Saskatchewan is in the weird position where it has become famous for being a big flat rectangle with nothing in it and is now shorthand for "middle of nowhere" whereas new brunswick is genuinely completely ignored

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the only thing that can beat new brunswick is labrador if you're willing to consider it its own thing

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

redshirt posted:

No one's said Utah yet.

wonder why

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

labrador has those dogs. solid if somewhat sloppy companions

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AKA Pseudonym posted:

that is a lot more going for it than man other states. nobody talks about south dakota or any of the towns in south dakota, except for arguably deadwood, but only in the context of a tv show which took place before south dakota even existed

iowa is only famous because its a swing state during presidential elections, so there's some inevitable scene every four years where candidates go there and show up at at a dennys to pander to "the average american". outside of that no one gives a gently caress what goes on in des moines or iowa city. same with a lot of the rest of the midwest outside of big cities like chicago, minneapolis, detroit, etc

personally i have been to every state in the country except for alaska and wyoming and the least memorable or interesting are definitely iowa and the dakotas.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
New Hampshire seems to be filled with boring white liberals. Easily forgettable.

Yvershek fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 8, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TrashMammal posted:

labrador has those dogs. solid if somewhat sloppy companions

those dogs are from newfoundland and are named labradors because a guy in the UK got them confused

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yvershek posted:

New Hampshire seems to be filled with boring while liberals. Easily forgettable.

NH was once the target of some kind of libertarian project to take over the state and build a base there but i guess that fell apart sometime in the last decade

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 8, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

the only thing that can beat new brunswick is labrador if you're willing to consider it its own thing

im not

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

cock hero flux posted:

those dogs are from newfoundland and are named labradors because a guy in the UK got them confused

feeling misled and perhaps betrayed by the british yet again :mad:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Earwicker posted:

NH was once the target of some kind of libertarian project to take over the state and build a base there but i guess that fell apart sometime in the last decade

They managed to "take over" a single town and, predictably, it went to poo poo:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/21534416/free-state-project-new-hampshire-libertarians-matthew-hongoltz-hetling

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Yvershek posted:

New Hampshire seems to be filled with boring white liberals. Easily forgettable.

New Hampshire is not actually very liberal.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Probably the Newfies got them confused first. Newfies are like that ya know.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

New Hampshire is not actually very liberal.

It is compared to Alabama or Florida.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

now that im reminded of the name of that project i remember them running ads here on SA lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Back in junior high we had a test to label a blank map with all the states and their capitals. It was actually very useful, but I'd be hard pressed to do it again without a bit of study.

Idaho, though, where I currently live is so unrecognized it's astounding. I've been in the airport in Spokane, WA and chatted with people asking each other where we are from, etc. "Idaho, north end". "Oh where is Idaho? That's in the mid-west, right?" "Uh no, its about 40 miles that way." The person grew up in Spokane. Crazy part is that I've had that same conversation with two other grown adults.

I also love that Idaho = potatoes. Fun fact: Idaho, in the southern part of the state does in fact grow poo poo-tons of potatoes, but most of them are sold commercially to McDonalds, Ore Ida, and other states. If I buy a potato in the supermarket there is a 90% chance it was grown in another state, most likely Washington.

There's tremendous scenery; mountains, lakes, forests, etc. And the south part of the state is a lot of farm land, but most people have no clue that there is tons of hiking, camping, fishing, forests, mountains, etc I've ever seen.

I'm okay with the lack of interest; more for me to enjoy without other people mucking it up.