Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The best part is the very bottom of the article

quote:

Commissioned in 1983 for energy company PPL, the 2,494MW Susquehanna Steam Electric Station is one of the largest nuclear power plants in the US. Its current owner, Talen Energy, was founded in 2015 after the competitive power generation business of PPL Corporation was spun off and combined with competitive generation businesses owned by private equity firm Riverstone Holdings.

Talen Energy formed Cumulus Growth in 2020 to ‘invest in opportunities created by the convergence of digital infrastructure and power’ and had two separate businesses; Cumulus Data, focused on hyperscale data centers; and Cumulus Coin, focused on digital currency mining.

In an ESG report from March 2021, Talen said the company was “well-positioned to capture value” in areas such as data centers and digital coins, saying the two business areas could be a “stable source of income outside of the traditional market.”

Cryptocurrency firm TeraWulf is working with Talen on the cryptomining side of the project.

Talen’s Nautilus crypto data center is seemingly not part of the deal with Amazon.

Why use one of the largest nuclear power plants in the country for reducing greenhouse emissions and powering productive industry when we can just run a bigger crypto rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Why use one of the largest nuclear power plants in the country for reducing greenhouse emissions and powering productive industry when we can just run a bigger crypto rig?

Reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dbFNWD910

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

golden bubble posted:

If you are 63 and a "hot 22 year old" starts coming on to you, you should be at least a little suspicious

I don’t know he a late middle aged defense contractor seems like the type of guy who just had insane game and sex appeal

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t know he a late middle aged defense contractor seems like the type of guy who just had insane game and sex appeal

Checks out.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

gently caress crypto, what a colossal waste of resources that could be used to better mankind.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
At some point Crypto desperately needs to be outright banned or heavily regulated, wasting so much power and potential over literally nothing is so goddamn unconscionable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

At some point Crypto desperately needs to be outright banned or heavily regulated, wasting so much power and potential over literally nothing is so goddamn unconscionable.

That point was about 10 years ago but it makes nvidia etc tons of money so lol.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's not quite true. Cryptocurrency enables a thriving crime ecosystem and make ransomware economically feasible.

Nothing would be an improvement

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
But can tech and finance bros make money off of nothing? Checkmate.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

stealie72 posted:

I mean....... yes?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, that's the way you do it
Money from nothing, and your bitcoins for free

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

They could. They make it worse for fun lols

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stealie72 posted:

That's the goal.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1765095289411526857?t=E4U6t7FdUlLmz2o-91KciQ&s=19

It's an inside straight at this point, but there's not many decorum-brained Senators left that would gently caress up a unified democratic government

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The funniest take I heard about crypto was it was digital alchemy to turn coal into heroin and I think about that a lot. Plus if you live in the right place, eventually beachfront property

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1765095289411526857?t=E4U6t7FdUlLmz2o-91KciQ&s=19

It's an inside straight at this point, but there's not many decorum-brained Senators left that would gently caress up a unified democratic government

New ones will arrive.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bolsonaro loves hospitals about as much as Senator Menendez loves indictments.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1765111086817190163?t=-hxHDZMlLQfGBGyqCSVr4g&s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress that stupid taint. Good riddance.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I appreciate the use of a gender-neutral part of the body but something about it still doesn't sit right. Going forward could we try to also avoid orifice-adjacent areas?

Or go the other way and call them a cloaca.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

McNally posted:

I appreciate the use of a gender-neutral part of the body but something about it still doesn't sit right. Going forward could we try to also avoid orifice-adjacent areas?

What about grundle? It has a comedy factor that taint just lacks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

Cloaca's serve a useful function.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Is hemorrhoid-ridden, poo poo-impacted, pimpled rear end in a top hat OK?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I stole this, but Sinema quitting is bi-erasure I can support.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

:smug:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stealie72 posted:

Is hemorrhoid-ridden, poo poo-impacted, pimpled rear end in a top hat OK?

First thing that came to my mind was shitfuck assclown, but it really needs a third word to sing. Couldn't find it.

My favorite thing though is some of the reporters telling her political obituary and nobody can still figure out just why the gently caress she did the things she did towards the end.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Hmm, true. I'll allow it.

CainFortea posted:

Cloaca's serve a useful function.

Also a fair point. But it's a fun word.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

My favorite thing though is some of the reporters telling her political obituary and nobody can still figure out just why the gently caress she did the things she did towards the end.

She did them for the lulz.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Is 'human paraquat' still kosher?

-Jeffrey Lebowski

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i dont care if you ban orifice related words, im still gonna call her an rear end in a top hat

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

My Spirit Otter posted:

i dont care if you ban orifice related words, im still gonna call her an rear end in a top hat

I'm ok with this.

Anyway, I'm not going to ban specific words, but more specific vibes. Yes, this is dumb. No, I won't be pushing buttons over it unless it gets to be an issue (somehow).

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Good loving riddance. She gave Social Workers a bad name after having a stalwart SW Seantor with Debbie Stabenow

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Does that mean Ruben Gallego vs Kari Lake for the open seat? Hopefully Joey B doesn’t taint down ballot so bad that Dems lose it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

McNally posted:

I'm ok with this.

Anyway, I'm not going to ban specific words, but more specific vibes. Yes, this is dumb. No, I won't be pushing buttons over it unless it gets to be an issue (somehow).

sorry, didnt have enough !!!s to show it was a joke. this is a serious post.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Does that mean Ruben Gallego vs Kari Lake for the open seat? Hopefully Joey B doesn’t taint down ballot so bad that Dems lose it.

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong.

Aragosta fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 5, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

she's running!

...to the elysian fields of also-runs in the cable news talking heads stable

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

she's running!

...to the elysian fields of also-runs in the cable news talking heads stable

Where all the other grubby little grundle goblins hang out.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

So things in Haiti are firmly in not so good land:

BBC posted:

Soldiers have been deployed to defend the airport of the Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince, from an assault by armed gangs.

Witnesses reported hearing shots ringing out in the vicinity of Toussaint Louverture Airport as security forces clashed with armed men.

The gangs' aim is to prevent the return to Haiti of Prime Minister Ariel Henry, who is believed to be abroad.

Violence has spiralled in his absence with the gangs demanding he resign.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mr Henry left Haiti last week to attend a regional summit in Guyana. From there, he travelled to Kenya to sign a deal on the deployment of a multinational police force to Haiti.

His more recent whereabouts had been unknown but local media reported on Tuesday that he landed in Puerto Rico after the Dominican Republic closed its airspace.

Earlier, a spokesman for the US state department said: "It's our understanding that the prime minister is returning to the country [Haiti]".

While Mr Henry was in Kenya, a coalition of gangs led by a former police officer, Jimmy "Barbecue" Chérizier, went on the offensive, attacking police stations and storming two of Haiti's biggest prisons.

About a dozen people were killed in the attack on the prisons. Thousands of inmates escaped and remain on the loose.

A minister standing in for Mr Henry declared a 72-hour state of emergency.

How gangs came to dominate Haiti
Haitian newspaper Le Nouvelliste reports that both international and national commercial flights have been suspended for the past days due to the violence. Le Nouvelliste added that no private planes had landed or taken off from the airport either.

An attempt by gunmen to breach the airport compound through a hole in a wall was reportedly repelled by security forces.

Control of the airport is key to the gangs' aim of stopping Prime Minister Henry from coming back to the country.

The gang leader known as Barbecue has been calling for his ouster since the prime minister was sworn in as the successor to President Jovenel Moïse in July 2021.

Already rampant gang violence was further fuelled by the murder of President Moïse by Colombian mercenaries, which left a power vacuum in the country.

Armed gangs, wielding weapons smuggled in from the US, have gained control of an estimated 80% of the capital in recent years.

Prime Minister Henry has asked the international community to send troops to help fight the gangs. But a plan for Kenya to send 1,000 police officers to help contain the violence stalled after the Kenyan High Court blocked it.

Mr Henry was in Nairobi for talks with Kenyan President William Ruto to try to salvage the deployment, when the latest violence flared.

In a video posted on social media, Barbecue declared last week that "the first objective of our fight is to ensure that Ariel Henry's government does not remain in power".

On Saturday, his gang attacked several police stations before freeing thousands of prisoners from the National Penitentiary and from the Croix des Bouquets jail.

Only about 100 prisoners remained in their cells at the National Penitentiary, prison officials said.

Among those who stayed put were 17 Colombian ex-soldiers suspected of having carried out the assassination of President Moïse.

In a video, they pleaded for help, saying that other inmates were trying to get them to leave their cells and were going to use them "as cannon fodder".

The Colombian foreign ministry later announced that the 17 had been transferred to a different prison.

Residents who fled violence gather to receive meals at a school being used as shelter as the government declared state of emergency amid violence, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, March 4, 2024.
IMAGE SOURCE,REUTERS
Image caption,
Thousands of Haitians have had to flee their homes in recent weeks and are sheltering in schools and other public buildings

Residents of the capital mainly stayed at home on Monday with only a few people venturing out to get drinking water or food, the AFP news agency reported.

Speaking from Haiti, Serge Dalexis from the International Rescue Committee said it had become extremely difficult for people to access basic services such as health care, food and water.

"There's a lack of everything now in Port-au-Prince," Mr Dalexis said, adding that shooting was being reported in many areas of the city.

An estimated 15,000 people have been displaced from their homes over recent weeks due to the violence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68478718

"Barbeque" sounds like he's trying to pretend he's a revolutionary of some sort, which is...novel, I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So things in Haiti are firmly in not so good land:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68478718

"Barbeque" sounds like he's trying to pretend he's a revolutionary of some sort, which is...novel, I guess.

Isn’t he a self proclaimed cannibal or am I mixing up my warlords?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's very easy to say that you're a freedom fighter in a situation like this, especially when there haven't been democratic elections in almost ten years. from the cbs article on the subject:

quote:

Henry ... postponed plans to hold parliamentary and presidential elections, which haven't happened in almost a decade.

it's a real bad situation all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Where all the other grubby little grundle goblins hang out.

Trying to fit this into the Haunted Mansion song and failing, drat you.