Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DRK posting it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Craptacular! posted:

2005's demo was codenamed Rapture because they weren't ready to throw the FF name on it yet. It was, as I recall, the first shown work of people at SE working on PS3, as it beat the still very in-progress FF13 trailer by a year. (And FF14 was then announced as an MMO immediately after that trailer.)

The trailer was billed as an “MMO tech demo”
https://youtu.be/sgtZvn5c4e4?si=Z5fUg_fCCz8x3Uzt
(It’s only about 30 seconds long. No FFXIV spoilers)

The original 1.0 (archer WoL) video is also set in a similar looking city.
https://youtu.be/Vg6yutR3AG0?si=fc4bAa7Lx6cZZsvQ

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
DRK posting? DRK posting!

Because it's really, really funny when your tank comes to the dungeon in their pajamas.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hell yeah! So excited for this expansion, it's my absolute favorite.

Anyway, here's my DRK glam:

I put in my time in Eureka for that glowy armor, so I'm gonna use it, damnit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's time. :five:

This was the expansion I started at! And the one thing that was spoiled long in advance was Y'shtola's new outfit. I followed enough people deep into FFXIV that it was...basically unavoidable. Thankfully that's the only thing that really got spoiled! I also didn't have too strong of an opinion on her at the time? I started in Ul'Dah and Y'shtola always felt like she hovered far more in the background then the other scions; she didn't have the personal storylines that Thancred and Lyse had, didn't have the big reveals of Urianger.

And yeah, chalk me up as another who will occasionally re-watch that trailer. The HOOOOOOOOOOOME part still gets me hyped up. I'm gonna agree that this was the expansion where Soken really opened all cylinders.

And, if we're sharing DRK glams...

I rocked this the entire expansion and it is 90% still my DRK glam. It was 100% the right choice. A good glam will absolutely elevate the experience, and this one added so much to what this expansion was to me. I dunno if I'll ever fully change it out.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's good to be home!

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
DRK Posting!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lazy Fair posted:

Shadowbringers was the first expansion launch I experienced in FFXIV. Ironically, in contrast to all the hype the expansion now enjoys, I recall community excitement in the lead-up to the expansion being fairly lukewarm.

Playing during late Stormblood, the base assumption everyone had was the next expansion would be focused on Ilsabard, and taking down the Garlean Empire. As details of the next expansion slowly rolled out, it was met with a large amount of confusion. Shadowbringers? Become the Warrior of Darkness? Fighting the Light? The conclusion some drew was that the expansion would be about us needing to go around kicking puppies in order to address some sort of cosmic need for centrism between good and evil, others would say that's probably not what its going to be about, and discussions and speculations would go around in circles as we awaited more news and 4.x patches.

I look forward to following your journey though... whatever the heck this is going to be.

Yeah, I remember this too. At the time, the thought was that we were going to push into Ilsabard and do a full-fledge expansion on pushing back against the Garlean Empire, and the initial bait and switch left some people similar to what Sang was feeling at the end of Stormblood - a bit confused by the swerve and as a result more than a little skeptical about the direction the plot was turning. Ghimlyt Dark felt like the perfect note for an Ilsabard-based expansion to leap off of!

We also, admittedly, had more knowledge than Sang does, due to the hype and build-up from Fan Festivals, which I will try and circumnavigate for now.

If memory serves, I think the team did admit they had burned themselves out a bit writing a War Story for the entire length of Stormblood, and that's where the decision for a clean break came from.

It's a bit fun to see Shadowbringers from the perspective of someone who is in fact reliving that initial skepticism, to some degree.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
people brought up the gremlins being from older dungeons--and specifically showing up in amdapor, to drive home that kuribu is here--but the other missing relevant detail here is that they're voidsent. a very strange thing to have on the world opposite the void

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
if you're gonna wield a greatsword you need to have landsknecht drip, its that simple

also it's a fun trailer. they throw some really wild curveballs compared to the previous ones just revealing locations along with setpieces. Its also extremely hosed up to make urianger look cool.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Speak for yourself. I for one am glad our favorite psuedo-shakespearean scholar finally ditched the burlap sack!

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Wrestlepig posted:

if you're gonna wield a greatsword you need to have landsknecht drip, its that simple

also it's a fun trailer. they throw some really wild curveballs compared to the previous ones just revealing locations along with setpieces. Its also extremely hosed up to make urianger look cool.

That is a truly rad Landsknecht glam.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Can't believe people would deny Urianger his freedom from the Transgender Dysphoria Sack, smh :v:

(This is just a joke but it's one that a lot of trans people into ff I know make, so)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I love a lot of things in this expansion, and the trailer is one of the big ones. I go back and watch it often and it never stops getting me hype to play ff14.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

IthilionTheBrave posted:

That is a truly rad Landsknecht glam.

It is! And it’s nowhere near wrestlepig’s best Landsknecht glam!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Is it time for DRK POSTING?

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Probably boring for those who prefer more variable glamours but I like it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nothin' exciting, but it's nice imo.

...Even if it's mostly all Soot Black. :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i would join in and post my drk look, but basically all the pieces come from after this expansion

I'm actually liking getting back into tanking through drk, as i have been lately

even if the majority of my roulettes are level 50 because I'm grinding msqr and allrr for tomes, so i don't really know what half my buttons do, i just try and push them when i can

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think the kilt made my DRK glam.

I love layering that kilt or a skirt with the chestpieces that have a half-skirt.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Not the greatest picture, but the DRK glam I was using around level 70-ish when I first levelled it up.

Still really like it, been using some variation of it now and again. Not that I tank much.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I should dig up the glam I was using when I started ShB, huh. Tis the season to drkpost and all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
DRK Glamposting?

Glamposting.

And from when I spent a while as a lala.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Fray is real and my friend.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I don't play DRK as much anymore because of GNB, but as long as we're glam posting

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
My DRK Glams from the end of Stormblood:

And from the start of Shadowbringers (probably not actually spoilers but out of abundance of caution):

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Maybe less of a "glam" and more a Sky Pirate with Horns but I like it.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Hell yes! Happy to see this one going.

ShB's trailer... may be my favorite of all? The song is amazing, it sets the mood well, and seeing the WoL go through all their trailer jobs to land at Dark Knight just rules.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Here's mine. Favourite armor in the game, wear it whenever I can. The best part is that, thanks to lacking a prominent collar, it doesn't clip with my hair like a lot of other outfits I like...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I would post my outfit, but OneDrive decided to erase my Documents when I decided to uninstall it off of my laptop. Including my XIV screenshots folder.

So that's nice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I never really try to make job-appropriate glams, only character-appropriate

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My drk glam is pretty boring, but the thread is inspiring me to get around to fixing that.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I found a screenshot of my DRK outfit from the ShB era, so I might as well share in honor of The Kheris Shadowbringers Arc! I will read every word.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i guess ive never liked DRK enough to put a glam together for it.

here's hopefully a suitable replacement

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

DRK is my least played class. Maybe I'll give it a shot while you're doing this.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

DRK Post Level 70: Yaaaay
DRK synched down to pre Level 70: WTF where they thinking

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Prelude: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

There have been several holidays since Hatching-tide 2023, the last one I covered in the LP. I considered bundling them into a special bonus chapter to kick off this phase of the game, but I figured everyone wouldn't want to wait an extra week to get to the actual Shadowbringers stuff. I'll get back to them some other time. However, for narrative purposes, I want to look at this year's Heavensturn.

It's the Year of the Dragon, which means our friends from the Far East have returned to celebrate the ascension of another of the Twelve Sacred Beasts. This year's champion is the Ryu, which they describe as being "Like a dragon."

Nope, try again.

I guess that's… better.

This little cutey is Ryunosuke, and he and his brother Ryuji were the brainchild of the Ryu Bugyo, head of this year's celebrations. She was convinced that a pair of adorable mascots would be just what she needed to bridge the cultural gap between East and West and help everyone understand why the Ryu is so great.

There's just one problem: she's so busy explaining how great the costume is that she keeps forgetting to tell everyone what a Ryu is and why they should care about it.

Kheris points this out to the poor dope, and she explains that she was going for the "picture is worth a thousand words," approach. In her mind, just seeing the glory of the Ryu (in Chocobo form) would help everyone instantly get why they're so great. The problem is that dragons aren't exactly popular or well-understood creatures in Eorzea. No amount of cuteness will get people excited to delve more deeply into the virtues of something that looks like one on sight alone. They need more detailed information.

The Bugyo resolves to try explaining next time, but there's a problem.

When that girl ran off, the bird chased after her. We split up to search for clues and find out she's a well-known face in the trade markets.

The scuttlebutt among the local merchants says her father is preparing for a long, hazardous journey across the sea. Poor Sibly's been worried sick. Playing with a Chocobo Chick is probably the first distraction she's had in a long time. We get a tip to check the river outside the city and find our missing friends near its shores.

Sibly came to her favorite fishing spot to pray for her father's safety on the journey, but she's been depressed because she found out that Althyk the Keeper is this year's chosen from among the Twelve. She fears the blessings of the Navigator will be too weak to keep her father safe if the Sea Goddess is not the ascendant deity.

After putting some thought into whether or not the blessings of the Ryu can help the girl, the Bugyo dredges up a legend of the Far East.

Awww, come on, not Seiryu! He sucks!

Oh, he… saved a whole village for nothing? Just out of the kindness of his heart? He didn't even do his whole fake-out steal-the-virgin-sacrifice-and-relocate-her thing for the sake of his image? Alright, I may have been too hard on the snakey idiot. I won't complain about Hien naming the forcefield after him anymore.

The Ryu Bugyo is a bit freaked out to hear that Kheris has met the god she's supposed to be proselytizing, but she immediately grows excited about the story. She even suggests that her people should start revering him during the Year of the Snake as well, doubling their decennial Seiryu-related fun. It turns out she's a fangirl for an excellent reason.

You know, thinking about it, there are probably hundreds of families across Othard who owe their existence and happiness to Seiryu. The villages that offered those girls up were eager to throw their lives away to avert disasters. They were treated like property, something to be discarded at the community's whim. Seiryu gave them at least a chance at a better life in other places. Although… technically, that's not the case with this lady since she's the descendant of a girl he DIDN'T take. Maybe I can give him an A for Effort?

There's not much left to the holiday beyond these events. You wrangle a few locals to the town square so they can hear how great the Ryu and their blessings can be, and Ryunosuke decides to come along with the Warrior of Light.

Once the event wraps, you can repeat last year's fortune-telling mini-game. This serves as both a cute epilogue for Sibly's quest to protect her dad with good luck-

-and gives a cameo to the friends you made last year.

I think those two might be idiots.

Seeing others draw for their fortunes, I couldn't help but think about how eerily prescient my own ended up. Jokes about Sadu's affections aside, four prophecies seemingly came true. I suppose the fact that it was easy for me to take somewhat random lines and see my adventurers in them so clearly is a mark of good fortune writing!

The interesting thing is, after I watched the Shadowbringer's intro movie, I couldn't help but rethink that final prophecy. It said if I pursued forbidden love, I would walk "the path of destruction." I'd thought this would mean romantic love, but what if the "forbidden love," is the love Kheris feels for the friends that were taken from her? There are not many levels higher on the 'forbidden' chain than the barrier between worlds, and what class could be more synonymous with the phrase "path of destruction," than the Dark Knight? What if listening to that idiot in the hood and traveling to the First Shard on the eve of this war to save them is a colossal mistake?

I think Kheris could use some advice…

~*~*~

After everything went so crazy last year, what with the potential end of the world cropping up and all my friends being kidnapped to another dimension, maybe it would be better not to pry into my destiny this time. On the other hand, after a year of Worst Luck, perhaps the odds are finally in my favor!

Son of a bitch!

But wait, who's that on the far side of the town square?

Well, if it isn't The Man Himself! My great journey doesn't actually involve water, but if this is Seiryu's year, and he can grant me a blessing to offset this bad fortune… hand over one of your scales, you moody bastard!

I'm feeling lucky already. Let's go check in with Tataru.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 24, 2024

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
:kimchi:

The meta reason it was a minion this year of course was that they'd finally looped around and done all twelve helmets and a set of armor to go with them so they're plum outta gear.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I believe the third dialogue option is the standard "..." if you haven't finished the four lords series.

Edit; Just checked, it's straight up not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sanguinia posted:

I guess that's… better.

This little cutey is Ryunosuke

I think I mentioned this to you before, but the Four Lords have a habit of going around in rabbit costumes during Seasonal Events because of one Hatching-tide where rabbit costumes were worn by all NPCs involved.

Azure-furred Rabbit (Seiryu) posted:

Greetings, Kheris. It has been some time, has it not? When I heard of your involvement in these festivities, I was compelled to come and see for myself. I was, however, burdened with an overgrown kitten who can neither swim nor fly, making the journey here troublesome indeed. Had I known these suits would be so...constrictive, I may have stayed at Hells' Lid. Were I to use my powers to transform you into a snake, you might better understand my struggle. ...But I jest. Such ill treatment of a warrior of your stature would incur the ire of my fellow auspices. Similarly, were any of them foolish enough to give you cause for consternation, my retribution against them would be swift and merciless.

There was also a Seasonal Event where Gaius had to wear a chicken outfit. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 24, 2024