Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Johnny Keats posted:

Where are you guys calculating your chances of fishing success?

I've only been calculating "how many fish would I catch given the basic 50/80% distribution mentioned in the OP?"; for that a simple .5 and .8x multiplier on how many times you fish works out to tell you best/worst outcomes. 0.5 * 6 is 3 fish on average; .8 * 6 is 4.8 fish on average. If I had a table like what Shell is talking about, I could take whatever the % there is, move the decimal two places to the left, and multiply that by however many times I wanted to fish in a spot to figure out how likely it is I'd actually get one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Full percent table power is too good IMO to give out for just any kind of fish, especially with the way it sounds where your chances are probably low enough you couldn't definitely catch the fish on the table even if you spent every day in the best spot multiple days in a row. I'm not sure how meaningful that is yet but I do find it odd without more context.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Shellception posted:

My role has an affinity (for stripped shirts, lol). What it actually does is telling me a fish X's percentage chance of appearing (I assume over a succesful catch) over spots A to F. I'm kind of assuming everyone got this thing, because if not, lol, I have a todbit of mostly useless info!

...which I don't believe is true, btw. It's too much of a low power to restrict it to just some players.

i got the same info

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

To expound a little on what I'm thinking here, I would expect it'd be way likelier to catch some types of fish than others to the point where it'd be lamer to get perfect info on how to catch a whitefish as opposed to maybe a zander, goldfish, or even the King fish; you could guarantee you'd pick at least one up, but unless you really love being an unconfirmed matchmaker or getting questionably sourced friends, the appeal is a bit limited. I would expect that there's at least one person who has an affinity for picking up more items, and one person who has info on where the heaviest fish are without factoring in chances of catching them, at the least, and I don't have a table for a fish myself, so that also points me into thinking there'd be some prioritization in terms of what kind of fish you'd get a probability table on rather than just literally any of them.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

CubicalSucrose posted:

##unvote

Without saying which fish it is, can you catch that fish at every spot?

##vote cube i don't like how cube reacted to shell here

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I thought that was a town Cube response

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

CubicalSucrose posted:

I know nothing like this.

##vote Shell

:goofy:

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I'm a really good role by the way, no kill pls

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I can decide which system of ponds we are all fishing at

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hmm. Looking over things again, I'm cooling a bit on the thought that it wouldn't make sense for an unappealing fish type to end up getting a table given there's 8 types of fish across 13 players and that means 5 odd players out. I'd thought there were more fish types which would mean some would have to be cut, but now I know I'm wrong.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I'm not associated with a particular fish. Just copping players

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Sandwolf posted:

Y’all going off about setup spec can ya just loop me in when it’s necessary? Feels like y’all one step away from using algebra here

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Y’all going off about setup spec can ya just loop me in when it’s necessary? Feels like y’all one step away from using algebra here

yes, it's very silly. i think cube's reaction to shell is scummy, do you agree?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Johnny Keats posted:

I thought that was a town Cube response

ngl I was really worried Cube had rolled scum so often he'd forget how to come up with towny mechanical thinking and/or I wouldn't remember the difference. I've been hugely relieved for that not to be the case here.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

meen is probably town because he's enthusiastically going all in with analyzing the setup

otoh, this setup lends itself to that probably for scum too and so iggy could fake that as scum more than he can usually fake scum

shell is town imo

cube likely scum

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

who scum

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

cube, maybe? the shell response was weird and felt like scum trying to make town sound like they have TMI, but also this game started sooner than i expected and my attempts to catch up with all these fuckin numbers and letters have me realizing that this setup is significantly more complicated than i realized

i'm probably gonna pick whichever fishing spot sounds the funniest phonetically and fish there 6 times rather than thinking about it very hard

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I thought Cube's early vote on Hal was weird but also thought Shell sounded a bit weird before he voted her. If he's learned how to make more plausibly towny mech plans while scum than the last half dozen times he's been anti-town I'll eat my hat.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

We haven't had enough people check in yet. ##vote Maerlyn Let's see about moving that along.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Zoya posted:

cube, maybe? the shell response was weird and felt like scum trying to make town sound like they have TMI, but also this game started sooner than i expected and my attempts to catch up with all these fuckin numbers and letters have me realizing that this setup is significantly more complicated than i realized

i'm probably gonna pick whichever fishing spot sounds the funniest phonetically and fish there 6 times rather than thinking about it very hard

##vote zoya this is a scum post.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

no conviction, preemptively rather shooketh, fake stuff all around

vote zoya

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

It's town Cube

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Or my very long streak is over

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Zoya slightly pinging me too, Shwin

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

shwinnebego posted:

no conviction, preemptively rather shooketh, fake stuff all around

vote zoya

convict this (i pull out a fish)

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Illusionis posted:

A map of the lake and a list of the fishing spots goes here.

lies

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

okay i read half of the OP

how do i get a zander someone give me the downlow on a zander i want to gamble

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

i don't really understand the time slots at all so i'm ignoring them

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I thought Cube's early vote on Hal was weird but also thought Shell sounded a bit weird before he voted her. If he's learned how to make more plausibly towny mech plans while scum than the last half dozen times he's been anti-town I'll eat my hat.

Goddammit I keep forgetting.

##vote Sandwolf

LICORICE HAT.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Zoya posted:

okay i read half of the OP

how do i get a zander someone give me the downlow on a zander i want to gamble

Zoya + Gambling, not many funnier combinations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Johnny Keats posted:

I can decide which system of ponds we are all fishing at

Been a bit since you rolled navigator. Sounds cool.

The lore link I posted had a page that had a list of all the lakes and which fish were available in each and holy poo poo there are a lot of lakes in this rather niche ice fishing game sequel.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I just skipped to the last page of posts and I’m shocked to learn that cube voted for me!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Also sounds like there is math happening?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CubicalSucrose posted:

Goddammit I keep forgetting.

##vote Sandwolf

LICORICE HAT.

lol do I actually owe you this? Cuz I will

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Cube’s reaction to Shell did ping me a bit, Zoya is also pinging me a bit

Shell town tho agreed @shwinnebego

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

lol do I actually owe you this? Cuz I will

Mmm...until something like it happens (the bar is pretty low), I will continue bringing it up and voting you because of it. So your call I guess.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CubicalSucrose posted:

Mmm...until something like it happens (the bar is pretty low), I will continue bringing it up and voting you because of it. So your call I guess.

I remember the post I just don’t remember which conditional succeeded

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

I remember the post I just don’t remember which conditional succeeded

Sandwolf posted:

If Cube is 3P doctor I’ll eat my hat. If he’s a regular 3P I’ll eat some chips. If he’s orthogonal 3P I’ll eat some licorice. (I hate licorice)

I'd call this an ortho-3P doc.

CapitalistPig posted:

Maerlyn, Cube,Iggy, and Grandi win and abscond from the game!

Cube - You are Quark, The White Dragon

https://lunar.fandom.com/wiki/Quark

You are in a masonry with Rubeus, Cyan, and Amelia, the other dragons.

Each night the dragons may choose another player to investigate. You will receive information on either, who they visted, who visited them, or their alignment. This is randomly determined. This is a group action and does not prevent you from breathing.

White Dragon Breath - Once during the game you may breathe on your fellow dragons completely protecting them from all kills, this circumvents any unstoppable kills unless the kill states that it circumvents extra protections. This does not count as an x-shot ability in regard to abilities that affect x-shot abilities.

You are dragon aligned and win when you Eliminate the Magic Emperor, absconding from the game."

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

lmao I do remember being a little salty cuz how could I have predicted full (OP) 3P team but fair enough, licorice hat sometime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm a little surprised people are publicly declaring their fishing activities in the thread, I don't see any indication that that's required right now.

Did I miss something or was this just referencing Shell's striped post?