Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
As a quick note, Infrastructure is set in the early of 1133 (late March, early April).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I would like dated posts, it'd make it easier to read other pbps and know what's what.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Disciple of the Claw, how would your character end up freed from his obligations as an aide to run around gallivanting throughout the Empire in service of the Hantei Restoration?

I was thinking there would probably be at least two likely scenarios:
  • Shiba Chiyako shares sympathies similar to that of Kakita Shiran and her buddies. That would make things relatively simple.
  • Some sort of outside incident that would end his relationship with Chiyako - say, if she was forced via Scorpion machinations to become a ronin / commit seppuku / etc.

The whole duty relationship is kind of important to how I see Fumitake working out, so it should probably be a central motivation to why he would work to restore the Hantei dynasty. If you have other, better ideas I am of course receptive.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Dated posts would be swell. Thanks!

I should make a rat. Or a snake!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh my god I'm going to do something horrible and there is no in character way to not. :ohdear:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That sounds like L5R alright.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Slightly Lions, I don't want to discourage you from applying, and actually would like to invite you to try again with a dude I didn't already decline on. :)
What about the character do you find objectionable? I ask because the Kakita Duellist is my favorite archetype and I have a few variations on the theme stored away. I've just always found Toshi the most psychologically interesting. Also, are we using the standard 15/10 Advantage/Disadvantage limit?

quote:

Before I get to the meat of this post, I'd also like to point out that both Name and Akasha are still recruiting and you should all go make some snakes and rats.

What book are the Nezumi char-gen rules in? I only have the Core book, ATM.

Slightly Lions fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 30, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Slightly Lions posted:

What book are the Nezumi char-gen rules in? I only have the Core book, ATM.

Enemies of Empire. Naga and Lost and expanded Ronin stuff is in there, too.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Mors Rattus posted:

Enemies of Empire. Naga and Lost and expanded Ronin stuff is in there, too.

Sweet, thanks. Rat-post in the next few days, then. (I love rats :3:)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
In all honesty it's the personality--it's not that it's BAD, so much as that I don't see the character being a team player who meshes with the group as a whole. I may be completely wrong on that, but there was just this gut feeling on it and I've learned to go with my gut.

As a general rule, at this point in the game if I say I have room for six but I get eight great apps, I'll take all eight. I probably should communicate it better that if I pass over an app I've done it for a reason and am not likely to take that same character in other threads, but...

Anyway--this should by no means be taken as a condemnation of your character or you, just as a "please submit a different character, I like your stuff but don't see this one working."

Disciple of the Claw has been selected to join Honor. Duty still has a spot open, since NOBODY apped for it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Working on a duty app. Crane bushi probably.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Coming up with an app, too. Can I assume that Kyuden Hiruma was recaptured in this timeline?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I think it has already been stated that the overwhelming force displayed by the Rokugani armies has pushed the Shadowlands quite far back, and that means they have reclaimed Kyuden Hiruma. How long that remains the case is not certain, however, given recent events in Duty.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Kyuden Hiruma was recaptured, but it's almost certainly going to be falling again.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Duty submission. Had a better idea, working on it now.

"Background" short story incoming. Deciding whether or not to link it because wall of text.

Daidoji Kato, Hiruma-hardened Harrier

pre:
Clan: Crane
School: Daidoji Scout
Insight: 145
Insight Rank: 1
EXP: 80/80
Glory: 1
Honor: 3.5
Taint: 0.5

EARTH 3

AIR 2
Ref 3
FIRE 2
Agi 3
WATER 2
Per 3
VOID 2

SKILLS:

*Hunting (Traps)3
*Stealth (Sneaking, Ambush)3
*Kenjutsu 3
*Kyujutsu (Yumi) 3
*Spears 2
*Knives 1
*Athletics 2
Investigation (Notice) 2
Medicine 1
Craft: Explosives 1
Defense 1
Battle 1
Iaijutsu 1
Etiquette 3
Courtier 1
Lore: Shadowlands 1
Lore: Bushido 1
Lore: Heraldry 1
Artisan: Poetry 1

MASTERIES:
Kenjutsu: +1k0 to sword damage
Kyujutsu: Stringing a bow is a Simple Action
Etiquette: +3 Insight
Stealth: Simple sneaking move is Water Ring x 5

WOUNDS: 57
Healthy: 15
Nicked: 6
Grazed: 6
Hurt: 6
Injured: 6
Crippled: 6
Down: 6
Out: 6

ADVANTAGES:
Silent 3
Forbidden Knowledge (Gaijin Pepper) 5
Wary 3

DISADVANTAGES:
True Love (Hiruma Midori) 3
Jealousy (Bayushi Shigero) 3
Shadowlands Taint 4

TECHNIQUES:
1: Surveying the Land: +1k0 to Stealth and Hunting, traps deal +1k1 damage.

GEAR: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes, Light Armor, Yari, Yumi w/15 Willow Leaves, 5 Fleshcutters, 5 Armor Piercers, Knife, Camouflage face-paint, Trap-making Gear.
Travelling Pack: Bottle of water, flint and tinder, lantern, week's rations, grappling hook, rope (50'), Whetstone, mortar and pestle, fishing pole, vial of paint.
Bowyer's kit, coin purse, medicine kit, quiver, finger of jade, obi pouch, pouch of gaijin pepper, 2 koku 9 bu 5 zeni

ATTACKS:

Yari: 5k3
Damage: 4k2

Katana: 6k3
Damage: 6k2

Yumi: 6k3
Damage: WL- 4k2 FC-4k3 AP-4k1

Knife: 4k3
Damage: 3k1

Slightly Lions fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 9, 2013

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Duty app.

Akodo Kano

It is a bad time to be a Lion. No clan, except perhaps their ancient rivals the Crane, have suffered so greatly under the rulership of Emperor Shoju. Thousand of lions fought and died in the coup. Nearly as many committed seppuku or turned ronin. Those that were left are those that believe in Chugo, Duty, more than other. Duty to the Empire and the Emperor, whoever that person is.

Akodo is a converted zealot. Years away from his gempukku at the time of the coup, he suddenly found himself with new teachers stressing in every lesson how duty to the throne overwhelms duty to everything else. It was a major readjustment but Kano took to it earnestly and when he completed he gempukku ceremony he had the chance to prove it, being sent to join his many family members on the Carpenter Wall.

It was there that Akodo Kano has defined himself over the past half a decade. His talent with a sword was sharpened enough for it to become exceptional. He became something of an unofficial sensei to the younger bushi as they arrived, keeping their skills sharp when the Lion's best swordsmen were hundreds of miles away either at the Akodo Bushi school or with Toturi. He killed several fellow Lions when they approached him to try and discuss their dissatisfaction with the situation and recruit him into a conspiracy.

It also put him in close relations with the Crane and Crab, two clans that the Lion have historically not been close friends. Kano has been one of those most firmly putting forth a position of honest friendliness, but not compromising the Lion's moral code in any way. While those who always found the Lion insufferable are unlikely to change their mind on Kano's account, he has done little to make people think worse and has at least been found fair, consistent and with the boken between his buttcheeks only half lodged there compared to the full insertion some other Akodo suffer from.

If nothing else his sword arm has won Akodo Kano respect enough. Though he was too young to engage in the vicious battle that occurred in the first few years of the Lion being stationed at the wall, he has seen battles enough. Goblins, Oni, Trolls. He's fought them, killed them and survived to fight again. It doesn't earn him much,because the Crab have been doing it for over a thousand years, but it gets him something. He's even opened his ears and made sure to learn about the Shadowlands, reasoning that the knowledge allows him to better do his duty even if it is distasteful.

Of course he hasn't been unbeatable. Two years ago a Lost samurai with a strange Mon got the better of Kano, blinding him in one eye with an eclectic fighting style. The samurai was driven off without being killed and a Crab with skill in medicine managed to patch Kano up. Though he lost his eye Kono will remember that Lost for a long time and his training redoubled afterwards

At the moment Kano is preparing to depart from Kyuden Hida, detained only by the need to keep some presence in the Crab court until all the Lion are on there way back to their homelands. He has little to fill his time, so has whiled away the hours practising, talking with other people of the court and looking after his much-loved pet cat Aiko.

pre:
Akodo Kano

Insight	151	Honor 6.5		
Status 3 	Glory 2		Exp 80/80

Earth	2	Stamina		2	Willpower	2
Air	2	Reflexes	3	Awareness	2
Water	3	Strength	3	Perception	3
Fire	3	Agility		3	Intelligence	3
Void	2

Techniques/Masteries
Kenjutsu - +1k0 to all damage rolls with swords
Kenjutsu - Draw sword as a free action
Kenjutsu - Damage dice explode on a 9 or 10
Etiquette - +3 insight

Skills:			Rank	Trait	Emphasis		Rolls
Athletics			1	Str			4k3
Battle				1	Per	Mass Battle	4k3
Courtier			1	Awa			3k2
Defense				1	Ref			4k3
Etiquette			3	Awa			5k2
Games (Go)			1	Int			4k3
Horsemanship			1	Agi			4k3
Hunting				1	Per			4k3
Iaijutsu			2	Ref			5k3
Kenjutsu			7	Agi	Katana		10k3
Kyujutsu			1	Ref			4k3
Lore (Bushido)			2	Int			5k3
Lore (History)			1	Int			4k3
Lore (Law)			2	Int			5k3
Lore (Shadowlands)		2	Int			5k3
Meditation			1	Voi			3k2
Perform (Dance)			1	Agi			4k3
Sincerity			1	Awa			3k2

Disadvantages
Overconfident
Idealistic
Driven

Combat
TN-to-be-hit: 20 [+5 when in Armor]	
Initiative: 5k3

Outfit: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, No-Dachi, Travelling Pack, 4 koku, Daisho Stand, Rope,
Small Hand Mirror, Small Tent, Small Statue (Akodo), Tatami mat, Spare kimono and sandals, Cat (Aiko),
Lantern, Finger of Jade
What clan does your character belong to?
The Lion, strong and rightfully proud in our long history of accomplishments.

What family does your character belong to?
The Akodo.

Is your character a Bushi, a Shugenja, or a Courtier?
A bushi, trained in the Akodo Bushi school which sets the standard that all other bushi must strain to reach.

How would others describe your character's appearance?
Fierce. I am a bushi and a lion and the way I dress emphasises both those points. When it makes sense and won't offend others I wear my armour. At the Carpenter Wall I have come to realise there is almost no time when people will be offended by wearing armour. My wound scares some, but courtiers mostly. I try to keep it covered for their sake.

What is your character's primary motivation?
I must redeem my clan in the eyes of Rokugan and the Emperor. We need to show we have honour and strength, ready to fulfil the tasks Emperor Shoju assigns us. I hope that my skill grow enough and be successful enough in serving the Empire that it might win me a place such as a Ruby or Emerald Champion.

Who is the person your character trusts most in the world?
My father Takai, my mother Mokichi, my brothers Shako and Shinichi and my sister Riko. Also my cousins, aunts and uncle. In fact, almost my entire family and clan. There are a few people who are dishonourable, but we humans are imperfect. Bushido is the path we follow and one man in a million can follow it perfectly.

The only close family I would reject completely is Ryozo, my uncle. Rumour has it he has joined with Toturi.

What is your character's greatest strength and weakness?
I am a superb swordsman. I do not say this with false price, but neither will I hide my skills. I simply state reality.

My greatest weakness is my skill with the bow. Others might say my strict code of honour, but they are dishonourable. Others still that I am not especially deft at court, but for that we have courtiers. As far as I am concerned my weakness is that I am not especially skilled at kyujutsu.

What does your character think of Bushido?
Bushido is everything. It is what defines a samurai. Legend says that before the Kami came and Akodo gave us the gift of Bushido, men lived without knowledge of what Honour means. I can't even begin to think what a dark time that would have been. Bushido is what sets us apart from lesser beings like gaijin.

What is your character's opinion of his clan?
It is hard to be a Lion now. Ten years ago we suffered a crushing blow, many of our best dying or becoming ronin. More Lion committed seppuku in protest than any other clan. Since then we have tried to rebuild but the Carpenter Wall has bled us dry. We will persevere. We will do it without complaint. It does not just matter about who has more bushi, swifter kenjutsu or more intelligent generals.

It matters about how we act. As Lion blood is shed we prove our devotion to the Empire. As long as Toturi still rides and makes a mockery of Duty to the Empire and his Divine Majesty the Emperor, we will obey the Emperor.

Is your character married?
No, not yet.

Does your character have any prejudices?
I try not to. I will admit that I did have some with the Crab, but since I came here I realised there are reasons for what they do. I do not agree with them and the way they turn their back on Bushido, but at least I see their side of it. It makes me think about how the other clans operate.

To whom does your character owe the most loyalty?
The Emperor and the Empire. My clan has made it clear that is our priority, beyond all else.

What are your character's favorite and least favorite things?
My sword is my great-grandfather's. It is no great blade forged by a legendary artisan, but it is still swift and sharp and has been responsible for the deaths of enemies in many honourable battles.

Does your character have any recurring mannerisms?
I sometimes get cat hair on my kimono from Aiko. I will always pick it off to remain

What about your character's emotions?
I am mostly friendly and gentle enough. I like a joke, though others say my own jokes are bad. I always give my cat lots of affection. It's only when it comes to war and battle that I become serious and fierce. Although when need be I can play my fierceness up if I must.

How would your character handle a subordinate's improper behaviour?
Stop him as swiftly as possible, with the severity and urgency depending on the level of impropriety.

How would your character's parent describe her?
Honourable and dutiful.

What is your character's highest ambition?
Becoming a Champion or a magistrate. If I attain that position, it will be because my skill and service are exceptional.

How religious is your character?
I read the Shintao, revere the Kami and honour my ancestors. I will admit the former does not come as easily to me as the others. Calling on my ancestors or a Kami for help? Simple. Navigating the wisdom held in the conversation between a Kami and possibly the wisest man who ever lived? Not so simple. Give me Akodo's Leadership any day.

How will your character die?
With a sword in hand.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 4, 2013

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
There was never an app here. You must be hallucinating.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 31, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I've extended the deadline on Name by a couple weeks to get more opportunity for people to apply.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Recruitment News

And another spot opens up in Honor.

If you submitted for the last Honor restock

so, Slightly Lions and Siivola

I've increased the total XP pool to match the current amount that has been awarded, so adjust accordingly and tell me you're still interested, or, make a new character with the new total.

Newcomers

Make a character with 105 XP as your total pool to build with.

Duty

Still recruiting. XP total has not changed, if I award more before I select someone I will post here.

Courtesy

It has come to my attention that Courtesy has no PCs of either the Lion or Crab clans, leaving me down a bit of player interaction. While it's fun to have some input into how things go, it'd be remiss of me not to reopen things to other players.

So, I have two slots (or more, if I get good apps) for Lion and Crab NPCs, for Courtesy. If you have an app for Courtesy from another clan, or an Imperial family, feel free to apply as well. Total build pool for Courtesy is 110 XP.

PLEASE MAKE APPLICATIONS FOR THE ABOVE GAMES IN THIS THREAD, CLEARLY MARKED AS TO WHICH GAME YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.

The following games have their own current, separate recruitment threads, links to which are in the OP of this thread and in previous posts.

Name

Is still recruiting, please to makin' ratfolks. Deadline on that has been extended to May 24.

Akasha

Got all of one app, for which I'm very disssssssappointed. Sssssee how I'm showing my snake sssssssupport? Ssssssseriously, go put some more dudes in there.

AND FINALLY

A slight rules/request update here...to ALL PLAYERS in ZERO SUIT RIDLEY SE GAMES:

When you do something you feel should gain honor, please note that for my attention. When you do something or see someone else do something you feel should lose honor, please likewise draw that to my attention. If I don't get reminded, I won't remember to do it.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

How does honour work in the ridleyverse?

By the book it's meant to be an internal thing. As an example, you'd lose honour when you stabbed a fellow samurai in the back and killed him even if no-one saw it or knew what you'd done because you would know you'd done something dishonourable.

Quite a lot of GMs do it as a social thing though, where you only lose honour if something is known. So you wouldn't lose any honour if you stabbed someone in the back and no-one knew what you'd done, that would only happen if someone investigated and found what you'd done.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It's an internal thing. epicurius's actions in Courtesy were one of the few things I actually DID have honor repercussions for, I just handled it privately on IRC instead of in thread, for example.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is the recruiting because Tsukino said she has no ~friends~ on those two clans? Tee hee.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

team overhead smash posted:

How does honour work in the ridleyverse?

By the book it's meant to be an internal thing. As an example, you'd lose honour when you stabbed a fellow samurai in the back and killed him even if no-one saw it or knew what you'd done because you would know you'd done something dishonourable.

Quite a lot of GMs do it as a social thing though, where you only lose honour if something is known. So you wouldn't lose any honour if you stabbed someone in the back and no-one knew what you'd done, that would only happen if someone investigated and found what you'd done.

Glory/Infamy is usually the social aspect of it, where you lose it for being seen engaging in commerce or whatever while you lose honor for it because you are a filthy, filthy tradesman. Alas, Glory is maybe the worst mechanic in a game with a lot of contenders for that particular gold sticker...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm still interested in applying for Honor with my previous app.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Working on a character for courtesy. This wouldn't be here if I didn't hit submit by accident.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 13, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Was going over my sheet, thought it was worth reminding that Courtesy is like Glory 4/Status 5, not that they are good mechanics but they do go onto the sheet and all!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Move along, nothing to see here.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 31, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Lion app for Courtesy:

pre:
Name: Matsu Hyumuko		Rank: 3
Clan: Lion			Experience: 4
School: Matsu Berserker		Insight: 181
  Deathseeker/Lioness Legion

Earth:  2	 Air:  2 	Honor:   6.5
  Sta:  2	 Ref:  2	Glory:   1.0
  Wil:  2	 Awa:  2	 Infamy: 0.0
Water:  4	Fire:  3	Status:  1.0
  Str:  4	 Agi:  3	Taint:   0.0
  Per:  4	 Int:  3
	Void:  2

Initiative: 	5k2	

Skill		Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Roll	Mastery
Battle		3	Per			7k4
Jiujutsu	2	Agi			5k3
Kenjutsu	3	Agi	Katana		6k3	+1k0 Damage
Kyujutsu	1	Ref			3k2
Lore: History	2	Int			5k3
Athletics	4	Str			8k4	Reduced Terrain
Hunting		4	Per			8k4
Etiquette	4	Awa			6k2	+3 Ins.
Games (Kemari)	3	Agi			6k3
Investigation	2	Per	Notice		7k4	Re-Search
Lore: War	3	Int			6k3
Meditation	2	Void			4k2
Sincerity	3	Awa			5k2
Animal Handling	2	Awa			4k2
Craft: Armor	2	Int			4k2
Intimidation	4	Awa			6k2
Spear		2	Agi			5k3
Horsemanship	2	Agi			5k3

Advantage				Points
Balance					2
	+1k0 when adding Honor to roll to resist Intimidation or Temptation.
Darling of the Court			2
	+1 Status during this specific court.

Disadvantage				Points
Bad Fortune: Secret Love		3
	Somebody loves me.
Dishonored				5
	Status Rank 1, may not increase.

Techniques
Honor of the Lion
	In addition to rank 1 school: Add Honor rank to one damage roll during your turn,
  but reduce Armor TN by 5 until next round. +1k0  to damage while in Full Attack Stance.
The Lion's Roar
	Add Honor Rank to all damage rolls. Move an additional 5' in Full Attack Stance.
Charge of the Pride
	Move an additional 5' in Full Attack Stance. Move Water*25' as Complex action.
The Lion's Charge
	Melee attack as simple action.

Weapon		Attack		Damage		Notes
Katana		6k3r1		8k2+6		Medium, Samurai, Void
Wakizashi	6k3		6k2+6		Medium, Samurai, Toss

Equipment
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Traveling Pack (Face Paint, Daisho Stand, Flint 
and Tinder, Lantern, Personal Seal, Rope, Small Back Banner, Spare Kimono and Sandals, 
Whetstone, Wig), 5 Koku.
Hyumuko is no courtier, and yet...

As a member of the elite guard of the Matsu family, Hyumuko served as yojimbo the family daimyo and other such nobility, as well as an honor guard for visiting people of importance. The Matsu, of course, needed little protection, and her duty ended up putting her on the front lines of battle, charging headlong into the fight at the behest of her impetuous leaders. The latter, however, is how she found herself dishonored, and later, stuck in court.

Not long after the coup, Scorpions visited all of the clans, presumably to ensure continued cooperation, but of course there were nefarious motives as well. Hyumuko was assigned to guard their delegate in the Matsu territories, some sycophantic distant cousin to Shoju I, and his family. It was a boring task, as their lands were safe, the Scorpions rarely left court, and what few bandits and others would never dare to attack an imperial servant. Of course, that is what happened. On a tour of the villages to estimate rice production or some other such thing of little consequence (to Hyumuko, at least), the group was attacked by rebellious Ronin. Though she fought bravely, there were simply too many of them, and though she was able to whisk most of the Scorpion's family away to safety, the rest of the guards, Lion and Scorpion alike, fell. The Scorpion delegate, too, died that day.

Her bravery and foresight was praised by her family, but the Scorpion demanded retribution for the loss. Hyumuko had failed, they said, and why had she not committed seppuku? The Lion took time to consider this, eventually stripping Hyumuko of rank and placing her with the deathseekers, to end her life on the battlefield. The Scorpion were not entirely happy with this alternative, but grudgingly accepted. After all, with the Lion on the wall, the life of a deathseeker was shorter than ever.

Much to her confusion, Hyumuko was ordered not to the wall, but to a winter court in Unicorn lands, as a guard to the Lion there to oversee ongoing transition of the Lion's former duties of policing, which the Unicorn were to take over. Surely this was some plot by the Scorpion to bring further dishonor upon her and her family, by not allowing her to die honorably. Worse yet, the same Scorpions she had saved were also at court, and had the nerve to praise her for her actions on that day. She was an oddity to them, a walking Lion tradition to be mocked and questioned.

Rage built inside her. There were no foes to charge headlong, no caution to be thrown to the wind. Hyumuko considered seppuku without the permission of her lords or becoming a ronin, to end the ongoing shame. It was a wise Ikoma, the courtier she had 'kept safe' during the Unicorn court, that counseled her. A samurai serves, he said, and this is what she was meant to do. Hyumuko was a deathseeker because her life had value still, not because it was worthless. Her life was in the hands of the Daimyo, and she would go where commanded.

Lightning struck twice. Hyumuko again was sent to court, this time to the Imperial court, the Scorpion court. Alone, too, not just as a yojimbo - she was to be a courtier. A feral cat, alone at the koi pond but told not to eat the fish, slipping into water over her head. Death or not, she would do as required.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 13, 2013

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Getting mad Honorable up ins.

Kakita Muramasa, Kung-fu Da Vinci

Kakita Hyuden was a living legend. A drunk, a lecher, and a bore, he was nonetheless hailed amongst the greatest swordsmen of his generation. His crowning achievement was winning a duel with the Niten master Mirumoto Katsirugi at the Winter Court of the ninth year of the reign of Hantei XXXV. On his way home from the duel he became stinking drunk, fell in the river, and drowned. His family officially stated he'd taken a chill, and some months later announced he had died after a valiant battle with a fever. His legend faded and he was forgotten. This is not his story.

Kakita Muramasa was born eighty years later to the day. He was a sensitive boy, quiet and reserved. He liked painting and poetry, theater, music, and books. He was quite talented at them, too. He wanted nothing more in life than to spend his days making beautiful things and discussing philosophy. His family would have let him, until they put a sword in his hand. If he was a talented painter, he was a genius swordsman. Everything about the art of the blade came as naturally to him as breathing. He was admitted to the Kakita Dueling Academy at the nigh unheard of age of eleven. By thirteen he was the top of his class. His instructors figured he would graduate by fifteen. And he would have, but for the visitation that would change him forever.

To the surprise of absolutely everyone who ever met him, Kakita Hyuden had ascended to Yomi-do as an ancestor spirit. He had apparently proved as feckless in death as he had been in life, never appearing to anyone with advice and guidance for ninety years. He likely never would have, had he not noticed the shining soul of his great-grandnephew. He appeared to young Muramasa and found a boy completely unlike himself in all things but skill. Who can say why he did what he did next. Perhaps he saw a chance to redeem himself through the boy. Perhaps he wanted to live vicariously through the senses of a young man. Perhaps he had simply grown board. Regardless, he opened his nephew to the infinite potential of the Void in hopes of making the boy an even greater genius, and a conduit for the spiritual.

It failed. His adolescent mind lacked the fortitude to withstand that unfathomable infinity. It triggered the epileptic curse that haunts the blood of most Crane families, perhaps as a mechanism to break the connection to the endless un-potential. The seizure he suffered lasted over an hour. It was a week before he could talk again, and when he did it was to rave about ghosts and emptiness. Everyone thought he'd been broken by his experience, that he'd spend the rest of his life an invalid. Everyone but Kakita Mayashi. Mayashi was a sensei with the school, a Kenshinzen and a particularly eccentric example of the breed. He sensed the reason for the boy's ailment and took him under his wing. Under his tutelage young Muramasa didn't touch a sword for two years. His training revolved around meditation, study, and hard work. Mayashi was a member of the One Moment school, a highly mystical and esoteric sub-style of Kakita swordplay, and believed strongly that the true path to mastery of the sword was mastery of the self.

Little by little Muramasa recovered. He meditated for hours a day. He learned to chop wood, drive cattle, and till fields, strengthening himself through humility. He studied Shintao and Fortunism to fortify himself with enlightened morals. After a while the seizures came less frequently, the nightmares went away, and he became more himself again. But he had still been changed. There was something to him now, something that hadn't been there before. A sense of quiet wonderment, an appreciation for even the smallest and strangest beauty. He graduated the Academy and passed his gempukku at the age of eighteen. He was sent to Kyuden Doji to acclimate to a courtly environment in preparation for service as a yojimbo.

These days he lives quietly, practicing his arts and tending a small garden. Hyuden still comes to him from time to time, asking after current events and trying to get the straight-laced boy to loosen up a little. He enjoys his life there, but wonders if he will ever be called on to serve his clan more... directly.

pre:
School: Kakita Bushi
Insight Rank: 2
Insight: 165
EXP: 0/105
Honor: 6.5
Glory: 1

EARTH 2 

AIR 3
Ref 4

FIRE 3

WATER 2

VOID 3

Wounds: 38
Healthy +0: 10
Nicked +3: 4
Grazed +5: 4
Hurt +10: 4
Injured +15: 4
Crippled +20: 4
Down +40: 4
Out: 4

Armor TN: 20/25 in armor

Skills:
*Iaijutsu (Assessment, Focus) 4
*Kenjutsu (Katana) 3
*Kyujutsu 2
*Tea Ceremony 1
*Etiquette 3
*Sincerity 2
*Artisan (Painting) 2
Athletics 1
Defense 2
Courtier 3
Lore (Bushido) 1
Lore (Theology) 1
Lore (Art History and Criticism) 1
Medicine 1
Spears 1
Meditation 1
Games (Go) 1

Mastery Abilities:
Iaijutsu: Ready katana as a free action
Kenjutsu: +1k0 to sword damage rolls

Advantages:
Soul of Artistry 3
Prodigy 12

Disadvantages:
Haunted (Kakita Hyuden) 3
Epilepsy 5
Touch of the Void 3 (I know it's max 10, so I'm not taking the 11th point. I just like the story these Disadvantages tell)

School Techniques:
Way of the Crane: +8 to Init, +1k1+2 to attack and Focus in Center stance
Speed of Lightning: +2k0 to attack those lower in the Init order than me

Kata:
Striking as Void (+Void to Armor TN in Center Stance)

Gear:
Daisho, Sturdy Clothes, Yumi with 10 Willow Leaf Arrows, 5 armor-piercing arrows, and 5 flesh-cutter arrows, light armor.
Traveling Pack: One week's rations, Straw hat and cloak, spare kimono and sandals, bottle of bleach, small knife, flint and tinder, miniature go set, bottle of water, lantern.
Spear, 2 blankets, bowyer's kit, chopsticks, coin purse, obi pouch, lantern (metal), medicine kit, lantern oil, 20 sheets of paper, ink brush set, painting set, water bottle, 
pillow book, biwa. 1 koku 8 bu 3 zeni

Weapons:
Katana
Attack: 7k3
Damage: 6k2

Wakizashi:
Attack: 7k3
Damage: 5k2

Yumi:
Attack: 6k3
Damage: WL-4k2 AP-3k1 FC-4k3

Yari:
Attack: 4k3
Damage: 4k2
Interview of Kakita Muramasa, determining his fitness to serve. Recorded 4 Sun, 1133

What clan are you?
I have the honor to be of the Crane clan.

What family to you belong to?
I am of the Kakita.

What is your profession?
I am a bushi of the Kakita style.

Could you describe yourself?
I am of average height and build for a Crane; that is to say tall and slender. My features are fine boned and delicate, my hair worn in the long, loose style of the clan and dyed white. My eyes are grey. My best feature is my hands: they are long and supple, the fingers deftly suited for both brush work and swordplay.

What is your primary motivation?
To bring pride to my family and clan, and to experience beauty of all kinds.

Who do you trust most in the world?
Kakita Mayashi, my sensei. He found me broken and put me back together again. When everyone else gave me up for lost, he didn't; there is no way I can pay that debt. But I will try.

What is your greatest strength? Your greatest weakness?
I am a genius at swordplay. I say this without hint of ego, it is simply true. I also pride myself on my broad artistic skills. As for weakness, my head is not always the clearest. I suffer from epileptic fits and Void-fueled visions. I pray that this weakness will not render me unfit for service.

What do you think of Bushido?
Bushido is the narrow path that leads us to righteousness. It is an impossible ideal, but just because it is impossible does not mean it should not be striven for. That is what makes us better than the bandits, the gaijin, and the Lost.

What do you think of your clan?
The Crane are the heart of the Empire. We see the beauty in all things and it is our duty to make the other clans see it as well. Without beauty and culture what is the point of the Empire? The Crab look down on us as limp-wristed aesthetes, but without our devotion to culture and art, what does their sacrifice really mean? They defend the Empire; we make it worth defending.

Are you married?
Not yet.

What are your prejudices?
I strive to rid myself of them at every turn. Did not Shinsei say "He who holds on to the past cannot see the present."? A prejudice is a vestige of a previous moment, and is as such inconsequential. Only the now matters, and so I judge people in the now, for what they do; I care not for the deeds of their ancestors.

To whom does you owe the most loyalty?
To my sensei. After that, my daimyo. I know it ought to be the other way round, but my daimyo never saved my life.

What is your favorite thing? Your least favorite?
I love beauty in all its forms. You do not know beauty until you have watched sunrise, noon, and sunset on a single field. What I hate most is my own weakness. Have you ever had a seizure? Pray you never do. The pain is bad, but the visions and helplessness are worse by far.

Does the subject have any recurring mannerisms?
[Interviewer's Note: Kakita Muramasa is almost disturbingly still. He always seems to wear a small smile of delighted surprise. I have never seen him without some means of writing or drawing.]

How do you express your emotions?
Through my arts. I was trained to seek placidity and serenity in all things. Strong emotion is channeled into my painting, my playing, and my swordsmanship. Verbal outbursts of anger are unseemly, but if you can make your fury into a song, it will bring much honor to yourself and your family.

How would you deal with a subordinate's bad behavior?
I would find the source of the problem and fix it. All things happen for a reason. Find out what it is, and you can correct any imbalances that would cause further problems. What is done is done, all one can do is hope for a better future.

Kakita Hyu-sama, Kakita Domi-sama, how would describe your son Muramasa?
Kakita Hyu-sama: He is a pride to his family, the son every father desires. His skill with a sword is astonishing in one so young, and to recover his wits after that seizure in his youth is remarkable. But he has become odd, I must say. If nothing else his fascination with growing things in the earth is unseemly for a samurai. Still, if eccentricity is the price of genius it is one I will play gladly.

Kakita Domi-sama: He was the sweetest little boy. I remember he gave me his first painting when was eight. He was so proud of it. I gave it back to him when he was suffering from his affliction. I like to think it helped him find himself again. I worry for him, now that he's leaving Kyuden Doji. I pray that he will stay safe and that his affliction will not visit him again.

What is your highest ambition?
Ambition is a stain upon the soul. It drives one to think too much of the future and the self, and not on the present moment. I would like to prove myself worthy of joining the Kenshinzen. Some day I would like to teach. Perhaps through passing on his wisdom I can pay the debt I owe Mayashi-sensei.

How religious are you?
The Tao is as important as Bushido for living a righteous life. Shinsei taught the Empire what it meant to be a pure soul, and it is our duty to strive in his path. The Fortunes are to be honored in all things, as they live all around us and provide for us by their nature. It is the least we can do in return. Ancestor spirits are... I do not wish to talk about ancestors.

How do you believe you will die?
When my moments run out.

How did you become IR2?
I had the memories and experience of a prodigious duelist poured into my head at a damagingly fast rate. The experience was unpleasant but enlightening.

Do you believe there is a rightful Emperor?
Yes.

Slightly Lions fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 16, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oh man do I ever hate to be nitpicky.

But that stuff with the Hida court? That was Duty.

Also they've left Kyuden Hida and the NPC I think you're trying to link into there behind...

:ohdear: And I don't know if they're taking a route where it makes sense for them to meet a replacement yojimbo.

I guess I should clarify to make this easier...

Note: any Duty apps will need to be characters who have been similarly assigned to the Loyalty Patrol*.

*Not the official name.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Oh yeah, sorry, I'll fix that. I was originally submitting him for Duty, but changed my mind. I think he'd make more sense as a character in Honor.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Nobody believes me but I knows there are Kakitas hiding in the garden! I see them!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Posting to say I will probably not be very able to post for a few days.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Things with my grandfather have got worse, I am not really in a great headspace just now so all threads may find slower updates for a bit.

Thanks for your understanding, everyone.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Time to get Crabby about Courtesy! I'm here to undercut all of your friendly little deals and then flip them! Hahahahaha!

For her gempukku, Akane entered the Shadowlands armed with a tetsubo. She returned with the mulched heads of three zombies, determined to show her worth to the clan... and to earn a favor from the survivor of the failed scouting party that spawned them, avenging his dishonor for her own later advantage. Such is the way of the Yasuki and Hard Bargains. Since then Akane has spent a few short years driving the fortunes of the Crab as high as she can, with the public face of a talented courtier while ordering that obstacles in her path be cleared away by any means necessary. Aggressive trade pacts, bribes to corrupt officials, forcing a fire sale after a visit from bandits. Although she only keeps her club and armor for ornamental purposes since being summoned to court, there are many ways to guard against the weak tongues of lesser clans.

Eager to be introduced at court, Akane is easily recognizable by her warrior's countenance. She keeps a fierce training discipline as though she may be called to the Wall at any moment and is half a head taller than the average woman with a strong, toned build. She enjoys dressing the part for court and appearing wealthier than others, often wearing decorative pieces of light armor that she has crafted and maintains herself, designed to match showy bits of jewelry.

quote:

Yasuki Akane
Clan: Crab
Family: Yasuki
School: Yasuki Cortier Rank: 2
Insight: 153
Experience: 110/110 + 6 Disadvantanges
(53 Traits, 49 Skills, 14 Advantages)

;--------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats

Initiative - 4k2

Attack – Tetsubo 4k2, Wakisazhi 3k2
DR – Tetsubo 6k3, Wakisazhi 5k3
Armor TN – 15 (+5, +10 in Armor)
Reduction – 5 (in Armor)

Wounds OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO
Nicked+3 OOOOOO Grazed+5 OOOOOO
Hurt+10 OOOOOO Injured+15 OOOOOO
Crippled+20 OOOOOO Down+40 OOOOOO
Out(-) OOOOOO

Attributes

Earth: 3 Water: 3
Stamina: 3 Strength: 3
Willpower: 3 Perception: 3

Air: 2 Fire: 2
Reflex: 2 Agility: 2
Awareness: 3 Intelligence: 3

Void: 2
Honor: 2.5 (4.5 if somebody attempts to discern standing)
Glory: 4.0
Infamy: 0.0
Taint: 0.0

Skills

Commerce(Int) Emph: Appraisal – Rank 3 - 6k3
Courtier(Awa) - Rank 5 - 8k3
Defense(Ref) - Rank 3 - 5k2
Etiquette(Awa) - Rank 3 - 6k3
Intimidation(Awa) - Rank 2 – Low - 5k3
Sincerity(Awa) Emph: Deceit – Rank 3 - 6k3
Craft(Int) – Rank 2 - 5k3

Mastery

Courtier - R3: +3 Insight R5: +1lo to all contested rolls using Courtier

Defense – R3: May retain result of a previous Defense/Reflexes roll if Full Defense Stance is being maintained

Etiquette – R3: +3 Insight

Non-Class

Heavy Weapons(Agi) – Rank 2 - 4k2
Medicine(Int) – Rank 1 - 4k3
Artisan(Awa) – Rank 1 - 4k3
Kenjutsu(Agi) – Rank 1 - 3k2
Athletics(Str) – Rank 1 - 4k3
Lore(Int) – Rank 1 - 4k3
Calligraphy(Int) – Rank 3 - 6k3
Investigation(Per) – Rank 1 – 4k2
Acting(Awa) – Rank 1 - 4k3

School

Yasuki Courtier: +1 Perception, Honor 2.5
Skills: Commerce(Appraisal), Courtier, Defense, Etiquette, Intimidation, Sincerity(Deceit), any one Merchant Skill

Techniques

Way of the Carp – Free Raise when using Commerce Skill, do not lose Honor or Glory for using the Commerce Skill even in public. May make a Contested Roll of Commerce/Perception against someone's Etiquette/Awaress to discern goods or services they desire.

Do As We Say – May re-roll a failed Sincerity or Intimidation Skill roll twice per scene. Must keep results of second roll.

Advantages (-14)

Ally (Yasuki Ozaru, 5 Points) – 3 Influence(Major), 2 Devotion(Ally would Risk Honor, but secretly)

Ally (Bandit Lord, 2 Points) – 1 Influence(Minor), 1 Devotion(Ally would not Risk Honor)

Clear Thinker(3) – Gain a bonus of +1k0 against Contested Rolls to Confuse or Manipulate me.

Perceived Honor (4) – Honor is always perceived as +2 Higher than it actually is.

Disadvantages (+8)

Failure of Bushido: Compassion(3) – Must spend a Void Point to help someone of a lower Status or social caste.

Greedy (3) – Opponents using Temptation(Bribery) gain a bonus of +1k1.

Equipment

Starting: Traditional Clothing, Wakizsashi, Knife, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack, 5 koku

Tetsubo – Large, 3k3
Heavy Armor - +10 TN, Reduction 5, Agi/Ref Skills +5 TN
Courtier's Fan
Extravagant Clothing
Mask(Metal)
Netsuke(Jewelry)

What clan does your character belong to?

Proudly Crab!

What Family does your character belong to?

She is of the Yasuki, determined to flex mercantile muscle where other families would flex martial. The Crab must be powerful in all ways.

Is your character a Bushi, a Shugenja or a Courtier?

Trained at first to fight, she has taken to battling with words and trade in place of manning the wall as a Yasuki Courtier.

How would others describe your character's appearance?

As fitting a Crab, a half a head taller than most other women. She has a fierce countenance built upon discipline and forged with brash determination, not to mention training to keep strong despite her privileged lifestyle. She likes to wear some bits of armor in her court outfits when permitted and has talent as an armor-smith to both maintain her practical fighting gear and to add distinctive flair to her decorative pieces.

What is your character's primary motivation?

To Strengthen the Crab! All other Clans in the world are potential allies or resources to harvest for the sake of the Wall. In doing this, she hopes to satisfy her true greatest desire and to prove her strength to the clan without any doubt, whether as a Woman, as a Merchant, or as a Yasuki.

Who is the person your character trusts most in the world?

Herself.

What is your character's greatest strength and weakness?

Her strengths are numerous, but her tenacious nature is the greatest. She does not take No for an answer. Weakness? Some would prattle about concern for the common man, but she does not waste time on idle nonsense.

What does your character think of Bushido?

A practical code that can be picked up or taken off as casually as a kimono.

What is your character's opinion of her clan?

None are greater than the Crab, though it is possible to equal the Crab. Due to the nature of their Duty, the Crab are undoubtedly one of the most important parts of the Empire and it is disrespectful of any other clan to pretend otherwise!

Is your character married?

Right now that would slow down her rise in status! It would take an exceptionally worthy man to do anything else!

Does your character have any prejudice?

Only against the stubborn arrogance of brain-addled courtiers from lesser clans and the whining of those too weak to stand on their own two feet.

To whom does your character give the most loyalty?

Head of Clan/Family. (Kinda weak answer, redo later?)

What are your character's favorite and least favorite things?

Despite the tough personality, she enjoys frivolous things such as jewelry, fancy outfits and tea ceremony. Being recognized as great is the finest feeling in the world. Her least favorite things are beggars and disrespect from other courtiers, and she hates to part with a single zeni more than necessary.

Does your character have any recurring mannerisms?

There is a tendency to pursue revenge against any perceived slights, small or large, real or imagined. She religiously cares for her possessions and keeps them meticulously clean. It's rumored that she always wears a mask when doing things that may be dishonorable, but rumors are rumors until proven, of course.

What about your character's emotions?

Kept well under control, thank you!

How would your character handle a subordinate's improper behavior?

Dismissed. If it's dishonorable, force his seppuku.

How would your character's parents describe her?

Ambitious beyond any mere mortal woman. They may mention that her drive may have consumed her too wholly and that she could stand to learn a bit of humility and of friendship, so long as it won't get back to her ears.

What is your character's highest ambition?

Master of all Trade in the Empire, making deals for the Emperor himself.

How religious is your character?

She only has words for Daikoku.

How will your character die?

As a great clan matron, her favors and guidance empowering her descendants until the Fortunes decide to cut down her mortal body by mere illness or exhaustion. They know her ambition will never cool and her soul will never tire.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 19, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Doomykins and Dagon, welcome to Courtesy. This doesn't mean Courtesy is full up, either, if I see more apps I like for it they can join. I'll be more flexible on clan choice now, too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Applying for Honor, take two.

Meet Togashi Reisen, the worldly young monk searching for enlightenment in conflict:

Don’t let the serene front of a Togashi monastery fool you, the plots and intrigues of politics have crept inside even those holy places. Can you blame them? The Empire is in such turmoil, even the petty merchants keep a finger on the pulse of the capitol. The sensei of rival monasteries scheme against each other, competing for their superiors’ favor and power over the surrounding lands.

And I am eyebrows deep in all of it. For some years, I was my sensei’s eyes and ears in the small regional courts around my monastery. It was then I met Akodo Meihaku, who was serving as a yojimbo to a visiting Lion courtier. The courtier was a useless fop, but Meihaku herself was sharp - and dangerous. My sensei didn’t agree with the Lions’ agenda, so I invited her to the dojo to discuss the matter. We sparred for a bit and unfortunately had an accident - I broke a number of my ribs and her elbow was shattered.

After that incident, I was less welcome in the local courts. I have spent the past year as a humble courier, traveling across the Dragon lands and beyond the borders. It has been quite the eye-opening year.

pre:
Togashi Reisen

Clan: Dragon
School: Hitomi Kikage Zumi
School Rank: 2
Insight Rank: 2
Insight: 163
Experience: 113

Honor: 4.5
Glory: 1.0
Infamy: 0.0
Taint: 0.0

Air: 3                 Earth: 2
Ref: 4  Awa: 3         Sta: 2   Wil: 2

Fire: 2                Water: 3
Agi: 3    Int: 2       Str: 3   Per: 3

Void: 3

Initiative: 6k4
Armor TN: 29

Skills:	
Athletics 3
Defense 1
Jiujutsu 3
Lore: History 3
Meditation 2
Investigation 2
Calligraphy (Cipher: Dragon) 2

Courtier 3
Chain Weapons 4
Etiquette 2
Intimidation 1
Lore: Bushido 2
Sincerity 2

Masteries:
Athletics: Reduced movement penalties
Courtier: +3 Insight
Chain Weapons: May grapple with chains
Jiujutsu: +1k0 to unarmed damage

Advantages:

Disadvantages:
Obligation (3): Togashi Ryuunosuke-sensei
Kharmic Nemesis (5): Akodo Meihaku

Techniques:
The Gift of the Lady: Reflexes to ATN, may control a grapple with Reflexes
Strike the Base: Use Void on unarmed damage rolls

Tattoos:
Lion: Activate to gain [School Rank] ranks in any Bugei skill

Inventory:
Sturdy clothing, traveling pack, 4 koku

Traveling pack:
Blanket
Bowl-shaped straw hat
Chopsticks
Flint and tinder
Small knife
Snowshoes
Spare kimono and sandals
Straw cloak
Week’s rations
Whetstone

Weapons:
Kusari-gama (3k2/3k1) wait what do you mean I can’t afford one?
KNEE TO THE FACE (4k1)

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 22, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I am not sure Honor will survive two Togashi Monks!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don't worry, Reisen doesn't believe in enlightenment through contemplation and riddles.

She believes in enlightenment through FIST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The real question is: is she a moon rabbit?

• Locked thread