Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

I killed a lot of crawlers, but not before getting absolutely massacred by at least 8 nether.

Basically, my last experience with rescuing the save haven.

If it makes you feel any better, I lost a level-17 character testing how much experience you get from taking the safe zone.

The real issue isn't so much number of Nether as it is them teleporting right on top of you en masse, such that you end up being unable to move in any direction, what with all the Nether clipping through you.

Edit: Just for laughs

Oh hey, more good news: Beta keys coming soon! Maybe they'll send the keys out with the patch tomorrow?

More editing:

I asked Robzilla and Protocol last night where they found the TFC Special, which is an automatic shotgun that is pretty loving good at wasting Nether. I just found two at the chopper crash west of St. Williams, so there you go.

Additionally, I strongly recommend, for perks, putting one point in melee, one in survival, one in strength, and then one in guns. Melee gets you block, survival gives you more hunger restored per item consumed, and the strength makes it somewhat easier to hipfire. I guess the point in guns is optional, but it's a tree that's worth filling out, and I would think that, at the very least, you'd want the headshot bonus.

It's also a real shame that bats and crowbars aren't the greatest melee weapons, because I really love the audio associated with using them. There's a lot of personality there.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysmileisfake
Jun 22, 2005
Gimme a break or I'll break your legs.
Does anyone know where do katanas spawn?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
New patch is a go! Notes here, along with info on how to access and distribute your guest keys!

^^^They spawn on the one highway that runs along the north side of the southern half of the map.

Edit: If anyone can access their beta keys, let me know. I can't even log into the site, and I assume it's because it's being overloaded.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 16, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
cat doter I've PM'd you a Nether guest key. If you don't want it, or already have one/the game then please share it back in here!

But hey, here are two more! Please post when you've used them.

1. https://www.playnether.com/redeem-key.html?key=l0zgCgwdQsC_VdIEJU-5tw:36xW3caFSyuG8CLD_tWIbw

2. https://www.playnether.com/redeem-key.html?key=ybh8HwsLRgqxy5ZTSo31IQ:36xW3caFSyuG8CLD_tWIbw TAKEN

tehsid fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 16, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

tehsid posted:

cat doter I've PM'd you a Nether guest key. If you don't want it, or already have one/the game then please share it back in here!

1. https://www.playnether.com/redeem-key.html?key=l0zgCgwdQsC_VdIEJU-5tw:36xW3caFSyuG8CLD_tWIbw

2. https://www.playnether.com/redeem-key.html?key=ybh8HwsLRgqxy5ZTSo31IQ:36xW3caFSyuG8CLD_tWIbw

I took the second one, thank you. :)

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

mysmileisfake posted:

Does anyone know where do katanas spawn?

You can also apparently buy them for the incredibly low price of $65. Best melee in the game for a pittance.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

tehsid posted:

The first one got taken by somebody. Any chance anyone still has a spare key? Posted in the first page but didn't realize they weren't out yet.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

So the lag is pretty bad, but goddamn is it funny goonswarming people.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Hey dudes! I've played an hour of Nether. I died to a crawler doing 500 damage in one hit. I died to a player shooting me in a safe zone. This game is odd.

I'm cat doter 2 on steam, come hit me up and we'll play. We'll show those motherfucker's what's what.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Did someone say goonswarm?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968401584/

There's my steam profile if you guys wanna play. I know pretty much nothing about the game and need someone to show me the ropes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

cat doter posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968401584/

There's my steam profile if you guys wanna play. I know pretty much nothing about the game and need someone to show me the ropes.

Added you, man. Little burnt out on the game tonight, but tomorrow is fair game for me if you're down.

We all use the CTS Mumble - that's this guy here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

So I think I've figured out the "problem" with the lack of food... Stuff simply doesn't respawn fast enough. I've been running around on low-pop servers late at night, and I keep tripping across more poo poo than I can carry. Problem is, nothing respawns for something like half an hour, so once someone makes a pass through an area, that's it. Or at least that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Edit: I guess I won the game or something. I ended up finding a military backpack spawn, which was cool. So I went and filled it up with stuff. Lots of stuff. Stuff stuff stuff. I got so much loving stuff. So then I sold it all (For very little) and got more stuff. My global is full. I have more bandages than I know what to do with. And 9mm ammo. So much 9mm ammo. So I keep roaming around the map, trying to figure out how to carry more poo poo. And then, in the very southeast corner of the map, where apparently no one ever goes, I find some dude AFKing while staring into a corner, I guess. So I shoot him, and he loving explodes. Drops 2 CRUs, 2 TFC Specials, a bunch of other poo poo, and an extra-large backpack. Not as big as a military, but still, pretty great. The dude I killed is killed seconds later by a Hunter. He, I assume, ragequits the server and goes to slit his wrists or something. Anyway, I now have more stuff than I know what to do with. Seriously. I am overflowing. Let me share my crap with you so I can quit worrying about dying and losing all this poo poo.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 17, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I got to role play as the deaf member of the roving band of bandits since for some reason I can only get sound in mumble and nothing else with my audio interface. The ASIO driver it uses doesn't like playing sound in multiple applications. It was kinda fun though.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

LuciferMorningstar posted:

So I think I've figured out the "problem" with the lack of food... Stuff simply doesn't respawn fast enough. I've been running around on low-pop servers late at night, and I keep tripping across more poo poo than I can carry. Problem is, nothing respawns for something like half an hour, so once someone makes a pass through an area, that's it. Or at least that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Edit: I guess I won the game or something. I ended up finding a military backpack spawn, which was cool. So I went and filled it up with stuff. Lots of stuff. Stuff stuff stuff. I got so much loving stuff. So then I sold it all (For very little) and got more stuff. My global is full. I have more bandages than I know what to do with. And 9mm ammo. So much 9mm ammo. So I keep roaming around the map, trying to figure out how to carry more poo poo. And then, in the very southeast corner of the map, where apparently no one ever goes, I find some dude AFKing while staring into a corner, I guess. So I shoot him, and he loving explodes. Drops 2 CRUs, 2 TFC Specials, a bunch of other poo poo, and an extra-large backpack. Not as big as a military, but still, pretty great. The dude I killed is killed seconds later by a Hunter. He, I assume, ragequits the server and goes to slit his wrists or something. Anyway, I now have more stuff than I know what to do with. Seriously. I am overflowing. Let me share my crap with you so I can quit worrying about dying and losing all this poo poo.

I... I could use an extra-large backpack......

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Robzilla posted:

I... I could use an extra-large backpack......

Hahaha, couldn't we all? That's pretty much the one item I'm not interested in getting rid of. Sorry.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Hahaha, couldn't we all? That's pretty much the one item I'm not interested in getting rid of. Sorry.

But you said you have a military backpack. :argh:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Don't worry Rob, we'll pillage some mad loot off of some suckers tonight. (Come at us, $uits.)

mysmileisfake
Jun 22, 2005
Gimme a break or I'll break your legs.
Is there a good spot for food? I feel like a zombie being constantly hungry.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Robzilla posted:

But you said you have a military backpack. :argh:

I want both :colbert:

In any case, when I die, I assume one of you will snag the backpack, and since there is no way to take the big ones off, you'll get to keep it.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

I want both :colbert:

In any case, when I die, I assume one of you will snag the backpack, and since there is no way to take the big ones off, you'll get to keep it.

Good point. I've found 2 large backpacks the last two times I've played within the span of 10 minutes of logging into a server.
Admittedly, the first I was logged in and no nether spawned so I was freely running around. Only thing I was watching out for was other players.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Saw someone streaming this game on Twitch and found my way to this thread. I see mention of guest keys, anyone have one I can get at? I want a survival game that isn't DayZ and this one looks to have potential.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Really wish the tracers were more obvious, if only because I want to know what the spread on the shotguns is. I know it's there, because every now and then, I'll fail to take out a Shrieker with the TFC Special, and end up downing it with a single melee. But I've also sniped players at a pretty good distance, so... In any case, both shotguns seem to make poor close-range weapons, as even the TFC at full auto is liable to miss. The assault rifle is probably the best all-around weapon, but it's not amazingly satisfying to use.

I also wish it was obvious whether or not you can head-shot Nether. I think you can, but then again, it could also be a lucky critical hit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shanks and I just held a two (three?) hour master class on killing pubbies and finding more loot than god. It was genuinely enjoyable despite some of the buginess of this game. Though maybe I talked too much.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 22, 2013

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Orv posted:

Shanks and I just held a two (three?) hour master class on killing pubbies and finding more loot than god. It was genuinely enjoyable despite some of the buginess of this game. Though maybe I talked too much.

Hell no, man. I figured I was the one who couldn't shut up, thus why I could never hear the gunfire you kept hearing. Stories later.

For now, I'm pretty sure we're better off on higher-pop servers because all of the low-pop servers just aren't spawning any loving loot.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Have one of you chaps got an invite key you could chuck me? We can JO together
I looked in the OP but didn't see anything, do you all play whilst on a mumble server?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 22, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ahdinko posted:

I looked in the OP but didn't see anything, do you all play whilst on a mumble server?

We play on CTS, which you can find the info for in PGS. As for a key I just PM'd one to you. I'm not sure if it's 72 hours of play time or 72 hours from activation however.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Yeah, so Orv and I had a pretty successful run last night on a server that maintained around forty people. Pubbies in this game are pretty stupid though. We ran into at least two or three that would see us, run away, and then lay down in some obvious corner. It made it really easy to shoot them, and they all exploded into tons of loot.

Snipers are a thing, though. Anyone with a maxed-out gun skill and a CRU will hit for 1000 damage per shot, which means people without the extra health skill are hosed. And if the CRU crits, you're looking at an additional 30% damage (50% if headshot). I got sniped twice. We accidentally stumbled into a literal hornet's nest of snipers and it didn't end well for us.

I also liking shooting Nether too much and, on several occasions, nearly got us both killed as every Shrieker and Hunter descended on us. Seriously. One of us pulls the trigger and five to ten Nether come teleporting in. And just when we think it's over, another Shrieker spawns and starts it all over.

I also tripped and fell off a balcony, killing my level 16 character :negative:

Seriously, though, get on tonight if you can. It's Friday. Don't pretend you won't be in your parents' basement eating Cheetos.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Against my better judgement, I got this. For where it's at it's much better then War Z. Damage seems pretty well balanced, loot is low but you can find a gun pretty easily. Pubbies are dumb as gently caress, not really cautious around others and easily backstabbable. Nether are sorta but not really a hassle to deal with. Unlike most zombie games, where they are usually secondary (even tertiary) problems - Nether tend to show up when you least expect them and makes you think twice about shooting randomly.

A few gripes I have. Muzzle flash is non-existent. Items get stuck in the scenery sometimes. Oh and what the gently caress is causing my character to breathe so drat heavy? Is he a chain smoker? Asthmatic? Morbidly obese?

Overall, it's pretty good. For an impulse buy I'm pretty content with it.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

hey man i can hook you up with a key for old times sake catch me on mumble.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Nether looks interesting but not 30$ interesting, although at the rate SA DayZ is going this might end up being the better game. Is it stable enough to be enjoyable, does it devour processing time and give horrible framerates?

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I picked it up the other day and it's been enjoyable enough. I haven't noticed any especially nasty performance hits/fps drops, Most of the problems with the game stem from how unpolished it is. The terrain looks awful and there are a lot of clipping issues with it. There are also problems with melee attacks not registering on Nether, as well as lag issues and randomly being dropped from servers. The way people explode into tons of loot when they die is entertaining enough, though, and it's nice having enemies who aren't a minor nuisance. If you don't deal with them well, they will gently caress you up.

It could be a pretty good game, but again, it would take months and months of polishing to get it to that state. As it is, if the various map issues don't bother you too much and you like making people explode into piles of loot, you can have fun with it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Virulence posted:

I picked it up the other day and it's been enjoyable enough. I haven't noticed any especially nasty performance hits/fps drops, Most of the problems with the game stem from how unpolished it is. The terrain looks awful and there are a lot of clipping issues with it. There are also problems with melee attacks not registering on Nether, as well as lag issues and randomly being dropped from servers. The way people explode into tons of loot when they die is entertaining enough, though, and it's nice having enemies who aren't a minor nuisance. If you don't deal with them well, they will gently caress you up.

It could be a pretty good game, but again, it would take months and months of polishing to get it to that state. As it is, if the various map issues don't bother you too much and you like making people explode into piles of loot, you can have fun with it.

When you say map issues, is it DayZ get eaten by ladders/doors/gates kind of bad are are we talking about effectively cosmetic issues?

Orv
May 4, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

When you say map issues, is it DayZ get eaten by ladders/doors/gates kind of bad are are we talking about effectively cosmetic issues?

Cosmetics and misplaced geometry that leads to odd clipping in places. The terrain will never suddenly swallow your soul for no reason or anything like that.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Mostly cosmetic issues. Ugly textures, loot items getting stuck in terrain and can't be picked up. I've run into a few cases of getting stuck in terrain or found spots where I've been able to escape the map and got trapped between a building or other objects I couldn't get back over and the outer map border. I fell through the world once and "died," but afterwards I just respawned with everything in my inventory and all of my levels. Thankfully, I haven't been murdered by stairs or fences at all.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm on my phone at the moment, but if anyone wants a guest pass to try this out I've got 3. PM me if there's interest.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Orv posted:

The terrain will never suddenly swallow your soul for no reason or anything like that.

To be fair, there is at least one place where the terrain will loving devour you, as Virulence said, but it seems like the game accounts for that and just respawns you with all your stuff, at full health and hunger to boot.

All of you new people need to get in the Mumble, though. Give me a reason to not do work.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Added Virulence and Orv to my goon-kills :smug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Benedict Smarmold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Doled out all my guest passes. I'll be on tonight, for a little bit at least.

• Locked thread