Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Underestimating the amount of time it will take to make an LP update runs in our family. Sorry guys.

Dad was always taking longer than he thought mimeographing his Pong fanzine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FREEDOM FORCE ISSUE #3 - STRANGE VISITORS, PART 2

Click for Soundtrack

Last week on Freedom Force: The duo of Minuteman and Baldhead Purplefuck beat up/psychically drugged some thugs, who gave us the location of Comrade Sukhov Stepanovich. Meanwhile, a communist conspiracy kept Christmas Present locked out of his apartment until Tropico 5 came out, ensuring that their perfidy would go unreported for probably too long ok.

Our perplexing pair arrive at the secret hideout of...

Or is he a fanatic of fallacy? A fancy phlegmatic feeb loving frogs foundering in festering fens?

SUKHOV's in here somewhere. We've got to find him, and fast!
I share your urgency. Let us not delay!

The game tells us that we can double-click on a character or double-tap their number hotkey to lock onto them, as well as draw a box around them to select a group. WELCOME TO RTS 101

Less intuitively, the camera is rotated by holding ALT and moving the cursor to the edge of the screen. Or, rather, edge of the 800x600 window I'm leaning forward to peer at here. HOW IRRATIONAL

...Christmas Present, how long have you been playing computer games?

Let's just say I'm used to much simpler controls

Another marker tells me about Mentor's INSTINCT DOMINANCE skill, which basically berzerks enemies. I use it on these thugs:

Instinct Dominance is wonderful if you use it right. It's useless if the enemy's making a beeline for you already, since they attack the nearest entity, but when you pull it off, it's very satisfying.

There's what are so far the fuckeriest fuckers standing on rooftops lobbing grenades. I hate them, MentorBabyhead Grimaceface is extremely explosion-prone.

This right here is why I usually leave Mentor behind to play on the sidewalk at the start of this mission. It's a bit easier to bait and dodge the grenades with just Minuteman.

ok I am not very good at this some dudes are shooting my dudes and oh god oh god oh god half health

Mentor'sChinstrap Megabrow's melee attack is pretty neat, it unleashes a series of VRANG!s dealing a fair amount of damage, but takes him a moment to wind up, where he is vulnerable to being BOKKO!'d

"A moment" is a massive understatement. I've blanked enemies and basically only had time to let off one series of VRANG!s.

After getting really lucky in bonk-stunning these gunmen, I'm ready to move forward.

gently caress OFF, DUMPSTER

gently caress RIGHT OFF INTO A BUNCH OF PIECES

I like how pretty much everything is destructible in this game. Not pictured: Minuteman whaling on probably-Communist shipping containers for ten minutes.

And best of all, the game doesn't penalize you for your destruction unless you destroy a building. Completely. One exposed slab of apartment complex amidst a heap of rubble is no skin off Liberty Patriot City's nose!

The game suggests a course of action...

...which I don't opt for, since we don't have any sort of ranged attack and mama didn't raise no dummies. (Mama did, however, raise two goons, which is arguably worse.)

Wait, can't you pick up and throw those?

Yeah but given my general track record here I decided to take a pretty :ohdear: approach to anything remotely dangerous

Speaking of goons, this grenade-lobbing batboy doesn't see Minuteman coming- time for an overpowered smash...

The next one connects, though:

and delivers an insta-KO.

A bunch of beating up of mooks happens, then the doofus duo ducks into a dark alley so Minuteman can destroy a trashcan and Mentor Frogfuck Creepystare can make a random passing lady mad just by looking at her.

I don't think he even used any powers, just kind of stare-leered in a manner usually reserved for megashy brony PUAs.

Hahaha she is just storming off.

I send Minuteman off to get a better position and check out some more another random tutorial blip, which ends up being extremely pertinent, as I left Mentor Fivehead Poutylips alone in an alley to be shot by some thugs who were just walking along and couldn't believe their luck.

Heroic Remedy uses up our little medal, but completely refills the character's life bar. I go ahead and enrage the chasing gunman, who goes and chases down his buddies, leaving me to go onward.

...and another loving grenadier lobs another goddamned grenade at Mentor Smartdumb Squishybits, stunning the bastard and leaving Minuteman to take care of it...

...immediately upon jumping up to break this bomb-lobbing anarchasshole's nose, a bald thug doop-dee-doops right around the corner to give my stunned hero on the ground a knuckle sandwich.

Luckily, Mentor Limecape Buttonnose wakes up in enough time to give the thug a kiss full on the mouth, shotgunning a lungful of primo alien weed smoke directly into his unsuspecting brain

Another thug comes up, but Minuteman is ready... but then TWO MORE COMMIE DICKWEEDS start shooting at these guys. This is a pretty good test of what I've learned so far, I bet Sukhov's gonna be a bitch to kill.

Enraging gunmen is pretty excellent, and renders them as ineffective as a concealed-carrier in a mass shooting. While these two Einsteins are shooting each other, I send Minuteman to take out the third, behind us.

While he's doing that, I go over and spot Sukhov, who is guarding a truck carrying cans of communist peaches.

Back to our heroes, the last thug goes running as Mentor Boyshorts Sparkledome starts giving him a serious case of the willies.

Couple more mooks, more smashing, more brain damaged commie shills.

Sneaking up behind Sukhov to get the drop on the bearfucker.

But no! Sneaking and sniping is total COMMIE DOUCHE MOVE so Minuteman shouts some hero crap and tips our furry-hatted antagonist off to his presence.

300 percenter is best percenter

Will FerrellSukhov has a gun that fires in rapid succession, dealing 7-10 damage to Minuteman here with each hit. This might be rough.

Minuteman displays a knowledge of communist culture, a familiarity with the ins and outs of a hated group reserved usually for Goons and FReepers.

this game :allears:

He is SO annoyed.

This guy watched all that happen from up there and still draws his gun in a stunning display of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

There goes Sukhov's spine!

Perhaps we should interrogate him to find out exactly what he knows.

OH WELL NOW THAT I LAUNCHED HIM ACROSS THE MAP AND LOST HIM YOU TELL ME I GOTTA INTERROGATE THE GUY
I mean what am I even going to say, that I liked the chemistry he had with John C Reilly in Stepbrothers?

ok he's gotta be around here somewhere

like in the street or something come on where did he go

or maybe he is over here

you know they invented RTS minimaps like at least a decade before this game right

oh ok very good

this took me a minute, like, sixty seconds, like, enough time to have a very long pee or a very fast poop

I'll go interrogate him, but first...

TAKE THAT, TRUCK, NO LONGER WILL YOU MENACE MEAT LOVING AMERICANS WITH LENIN'S FAVORITE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES

OH GOD IT WAS FULL OF EXPLOSION

ok lets just march on over to Sukie and interrogate him

(at this point, I went into the menu and changed settings, which has the side-effect, on my machine at least, of disabling music for some reason, so I just put on some mp3s; this started playing at this point, and it worked pretty well imhfo)

Yup, that'll happen. Every time you apply changes in the options menu, the sound setting will be changed to No Sound. Great programming!

:toot:

Exercise care... I sense he, like you, has been exposed to Energy X!
Energy X smells like cat pee maybe he is just a hoarder or a meth addict.
Get away, running dog! *runrunrunrun*

aaahahahaha my new favorite sound effect is "FREEDOM"

WHO THE gently caress'S SIDE ARE YOU ON, MENTOR LOOSELIPS SINKYSHIPS?!!

Intriguing... The Energy X is interacting with the liquid nitrogen
Energy What?

Wait a minute, mister... :saddowns:
There is no time, Frank Stiles, we have much to discuss but this is not the place...

excuse me sir but Frank Stiles was my slave name :colbert:

oh great another mysterious figure, some Swirlyface Sparklemouth this time.

Oh don't worry, we'll learn about him before long.

Ending screens pretty boring. Got 276 prestige this time around, bringing our total to 1,020.

Interestingly, the game has statblocks for your team, as well as any baddie you've encountered. We can see that O'Connor is a noob of the babiest proportions:

also he has an unflattering butt

You can also look at information for attacks, here's Sukhov's gunfire:

It's pretty grognardy, but neat that they included the information. It makes me wonder if they wanted to get the license for the Champions RPG for this or something.

Not pictured: his melee attack, named "Commie Clobber".

WHO IS THE NEW MYSTERIOUS RANDOM rear end in a top hat? ARE OUR HEROES REALLY GOING TO EAT OUT OF A DUMPSTER IN THE ALLEY? WHAT SORT OF MYSTERIOUS PLANS DOES THAT LUMP-HEADED TWINKLEFACE HAVE FOR SUKHOV?

FOR ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS AND MORE, CHECK OUT THE NEXT TWO ISSUES OF LET'S PLAY FREEDOM FORCE, OUT IN 2015!

hehe j/k goons I'ma get my workflow down :wink:

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 28, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And this is how Sukhov got the most badass character theme imaginable.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So, this thing you did. Where you sent Sukhov flying and then had to go track him down to interrogate him? Because of 300 Percenter and the knockback move?

I not only did the same thing, I did it on stream, and had no idea what was about to happen. Lizard Wizard can confirm that I was in tears from laughter while scrolling over the map desperately trying to find a stereotypical Russian.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
That ending where Minute Missile misses Sukhov completely to blow up some liquid nitrogen canisters? Accurate. There is a little tutorial part in the second stage where you're suppose to use Minute Missile on an unaware guard whose back is completely turned to you. It misses 2 out of 3 times. Never buy Minute Missile.

Also Swirlyface Sparklemouth is a goddamned liar. You can freeze just regular communists with the nitrogen canisters and they'll thaw and survive the freezing process just fine.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Holepunchio posted:

That ending where Minute Missile misses Sukhov completely to blow up some liquid nitrogen canisters? Accurate. There is a little tutorial part in the second stage where you're suppose to use Minute Missile on an unaware guard whose back is completely turned to you. It misses 2 out of 3 times. Never buy Minute Missile.

I intend to put off buying Minute Missile as long as possible, even if it means putting useless ranks into National Guard.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
MINUTEMAN: Can't control himself for poo poo.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Awww, you'll feel better about Minute Missile when... Okay, I'm lying, you'll never feel good about Minute Missile, but at least you fulfilled the dream of every Silver Age comics writer... To have the world's first unaided Commie orbital excision and re-insertion. :v:

I also chafe under this spoiler suggestion... Wanna bitch about characters :cry: nowwwwww :cry:

I can't bitch about Mentor because he's about as good as Minuteman is right now... Which is to say, used right, he's fine. Used wrong, he's a useless moron.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

JamieTheD posted:

I can't bitch about Mentor because he's about as good as Minuteman is right now... Which is to say, used right, he's fine. Used wrong, he's a useless moron.

this is probably why I think Mentor is a useless moron

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Christmas Present posted:

this is probably why I think Mentor is a useless moron

Think of him as a Wizard from 2nd Ed with mostly debuff spells and a really slow burning hands, and you might get the hang of him. This early, that's really all he is.

EDIT: You'll often get clues from their "roles" in Silver Age comics. Mentor is a psychic, which means he's not the greatest at the frontline, much better used to weaken/confuse your enemies while the heavy hitters gently caress poo poo UP.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

:siren: Dumb question :siren:

Is this real-time or turn based?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Sneaky Fast posted:

:siren: Dumb question :siren:

Is this real-time or turn based?

Real-time, but with the ability to pause, speed up, or slow down time (the slowing in particular can be done to an absurd degree)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Christmas Present posted:

Let's just say I'm used to much simpler controls

gently caress yeah Curse Of The Catacombs :rock:

Or at least, that's the version of whatever sequel to that series I had ages ago as my "Baby's first non-shareware FPS".

Also oh my god how did I miss this starting up again? This game :allears: Now for some useless enemy facts. The way power costs pan out, there are incidental minions who's point value far exceeded both the most you can spend on Minute Man, or any given boss in the game.

Density Control was my preferred travel gig for custom characters. It was basically Jumping, with a side of knockback resistance. I am also convinced one of the custom hero models is basically old school (so far as "THE GREATEST HERO OF THE 90'S" :byodood: is old school) Darkhawk with a cape.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2014

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
The only silver age flaw I can really find, is the fact that they left Comrade Sukhov Stepanovich alone. They didn't call the cops nor did they make sure that he was dead or alive. It's like they finished some kind of new Frozen Fruit Pie Ad. "Silly Communist Sukhov, you can't handle the cooling taste of a Frozen Fruit Pie".

Mentor is a stasis effect character. He lines them up so the others can more easily knock them down. Due to this type of character you have to really change your battle style quickly in this game. Personalty a good long range character might have been better to understand first. Fallowed up by Mentor who is only as useful as his ability.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think one of Mentor's later abilities is a radiation beam which is really nasty against most fleshy targets. Beyond that, though, he's mostly a Status guy, yeah.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Speaking of Mentor, this is what he was originally going to look like:

Speedball posted:

I think one of Mentor's later abilities is a radiation beam which is really nasty against most fleshy targets. Beyond that, though, he's mostly a Status guy, yeah.

Actually, it's the second ability in his attack-based tree, and we'll be rushing that poo poo.

Do you know what else I'd like to rush as soon as possible? The next page! There's a lengthy update coming down the pipes tomorrow, if not tonight!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
THEY'LL NEVER STOP THE NEXT PAGE NOW!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

alcharagia posted:

THEY'LL NEVER STOP THE NEXT PAGE NOW!

A rush to the next page? How about a rush OF FREEDOM!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
MORE ENERGY X, FLOWING INTO MY POSTS! THEY FEEL MORE DENSE, WORDIER!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
THOSE COMMIE REDS HAVE MADE UPDATE #3 BE LISTED AS #4 IN THE TABLE OF CONTENTS! THEY MAY HAVE BEATEN LIZARD WIZARD, BUT LET'S SEE HOW THEY LIKE... THE MINUTEMAN!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Speaking of Mentor, this is what he was originally going to look like:

Ouch. Too much like Metron for it's own good. It's a good thing they changed it up.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

alcharagia posted:

THOSE COMMIE REDS HAVE MADE UPDATE #3 BE LISTED AS #4 IN THE TABLE OF CONTENTS! THEY MAY HAVE BEATEN LIZARD WIZARD, BUT LET'S SEE HOW THEY LIKE... THE MINUTEMAN!

Whoops, fixed. Stay tuned for FREEDOM FOURTH!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh, boy, I was waiting for the Freedom Force LP to be picked up again after your last shot at it!
There's so much fun to be seen!
I still wish we could have that final entry of the series that never came.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Whoops, fixed. Stay tuned for FREEDOM FOURTH!

:byob1: "He is course and untrained... but perhaps there is potential there."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

alcharagia posted:

:byob1: "He is course and untrained... but perhaps there is potential there."

That's exactly how I feel about my brother's contributions to this thread.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's exactly how I feel about my brother's contributions to this thread.

:byob1: "Exercise care... I sense that he, like you, has been exposed to Energy X!"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

Ouch. Too much like Metron for it's own good. It's a good thing they changed it up.

Too much like a bondage gimp for it's own good, too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Only niiiiiine more posts to go! FOR FREEDOM!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

alcharagia posted:

Only niiiiiine more posts to go! FOR FREEDOM!

:911: Freedom!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any video links? I mostly ask because I think the magic of the voice acting of this game needs to be shared with as many people as possible.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
So I know that there are no spoilers to be had in this topic but did this game mention anything about Fruit Pies? It covers so many things from comics but I can't remember if it did or not.

Also I'm not 100% sure if I beat this game. I mean I know the ending and I'm sure I played it but I have this little thing. If I ever cheat on a game I never beat that game. I forget how easy it is to cheat in Freedom Force but I get this feeling that I haven't done the game properly. Just because I know how tricky it's going to get in later levels and I suck at this kind of Chess game.

Edit: Oh and now I remember something. Did anyone buy this game when it first came out? I think I got Freedom Force at our Value City which is now closed down. It could have been Big Lots though, it's really hard to remember.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I vaguely recall there actually being a "Freedom Force" at some point in comics. I think it was an alternative name for the Brotherhood of Mutants.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Speedball posted:

I vaguely recall there actually being a "Freedom Force" at some point in comics. I think it was an alternative name for the Brotherhood of Mutants.

And who are the Brotherhood of Mutants?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

alcharagia posted:

And who are the Brotherhood of Mutants?

Bad guys working for Magneto in X-men. Usually consist of shapeshifting Mystique, super-strong fat guy The Blob, jumping-guy the Toad, some others.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Speedball posted:

Bad guys working for Magneto in X-men. Usually consist of shapeshifting Mystique, super-strong fat guy The Blob, jumping-guy the Toad, some others.

Oh, okay. My working knowledge of superheroes is entirely from cartoons and video games so I'm a bit limited as far as the actual comics go.

I sure did like the Spiderman 2 video game though.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

Close. It was Mystique and a gang of other villains co-opted... Then, post Civil War, they became Norman Osborn's goons. Then Marvel gave up on the name license, Irrational snapped that poo poo up, and apparently, there was an Image Comics miniseries. Gotta track that poo poo down!

SPOILER WARNING: Do not look for these comics yourself unless you've played the game, it spoils future characters!

EDIT: Wait, gently caress, still not the next page?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If my calculations are correct, this should be the next page! FOR FREEDOM!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
FREEDOM!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, I guess I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

alcharagia posted:

If my calculations are correct, this should be the next page! FOR FREEDOM!

You should have not used COMMUNIST MATH, YOU TRAITOR.

• Locked thread